Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:
    Not the best pictures but the start of a little proof set I'm wanting to put together with Barber 10c, 25c, 50c and Seated 10c, 25c, 50c, $1. Have my eyes on a nice looking seated quarter PR64 at a live auction tomorrow so hopefully will check off both quarters.

I feel similar to @BarberFanatic 's post above. I absolutely love the series but became frustrated anytime I found an example I love seeing it go through the roof price-wise. Same with the seated series. The common proofs are affordable in both series so that's why I'm going this route for now.

This one is a PCGS PR63CAC and is beautiful in hand.

I like your mini proof set idea, Phil. IMO, the 64 grade is the "sweet spot" for UNCs and Proofs. Typically you can get a really nice looking coin without having to pay the up-charge for a full fledged Gem. And in many cases, the difference between a 64 and a 65 is a matter of opinion only. Good luck with your auction tomorrow.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

@PhilLynott said:
    Not the best pictures but the start of a little proof set I'm wanting to put together with Barber 10c, 25c, 50c and Seated 10c, 25c, 50c, $1. Have my eyes on a nice looking seated quarter PR64 at a live auction tomorrow so hopefully will check off both quarters.

I feel similar to @BarberFanatic 's post above. I absolutely love the series but became frustrated anytime I found an example I love seeing it go through the roof price-wise. Same with the seated series. The common proofs are affordable in both series so that's why I'm going this route for now.

This one is a PCGS PR63CAC and is beautiful in hand.

I like your mini proof set idea, Phil. IMO, the 64 grade is the "sweet spot" for UNCs and Proofs. Typically you can get a really nice looking coin without having to pay the up-charge for a full fledged Gem. And in many cases, the difference between a 64 and a 65 is a matter of opinion only. Good luck with your auction tomorrow.

Thanks!

I agree and I'm finding the 64 sweet spot for many different series rings true. For proofs especially since this PR63 looks like a 67DMPL does to me!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! Wasn't for sure what it would look like! Got rid of a headlight in my XF40 set!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 3:23PM

Sweet goodness Darrell! nice '97-O

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2017 3:22PM

I be Darrell AKA Barbernut! :smiley:

@sedulous said:
    Sweet goodness Craig! nice '97-O

• Options

Ugghhh. What happens when your mind is elsewhere.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I saw that on eBay. I knew it wasn't going to last long. As well as the 1910 P.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell
    Congrats on a nice 97-O and losing a headlight.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@sedulous said:

Darrell- that's a beautiful '97 O Half.

About the name "Barbernut"- shouldn't it be "BarberHALFnut"? Your current name would lead people to believe you collect the dimes and quarters as well....

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

That's just too clunky Jeff! :smiley:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@sedulous said:

Darrell- that's a beautiful '97 O Half.

About the name "Barbernut"- shouldn't it be "BarberHALFnut"? Your current name would lead people to believe you collect the dimes and quarters as well....

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm catching up on the thread today. Just wanted to chime in on the 03 quarters. I've found that from 03 to 06, nice examples are tough in AU. I bought my Joe W. a few years back, and the one time that I sent ten coins for plus grades, it was the only one to get the +. Pop 1, I believe.
    Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

BOO!

• Options

I had a few coins grade yesterday- they came with free TrueView Images. They're in shipment now, so I'll post a few pictures over the weekend. For now I'll post one with Phil's image, an 1892 25C AU 58:

This is a Type I with a nice die chip at the bottom of the bust.

Here's my 1892 25C AU 58 Type II:

I've had the Type II for a few years. Now I have a matching pair of 58's!

• Options

Jeff, both are very nice. The color on your Type 2 is very warm and inviting. Nice!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank - The next time Dan and I get together, I will take a close look at the MM on his 08-S qtr.

Craig - Glad the small scare was just small.

PhilL - Nice start on your Barber/Seated proof set.

Cary - Wild West is a good way of putting it.

Darrell - Stellar pick-up on that 97-O.

Jeff - Congrats on the '92 Type 1.

Pics for this PM, newp from Baltimore. I really like the rev die cracks and "wings" on the letters, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

Vern
    l
  • Options

What coins in your collections are you most thankful for?

• Options

Although I am most thankful for family, friends, and a great country to live in, I am also thankful I found this '97 O Barber Half that graded AU 58 by our hosts:

As I recall it replaced an ugly VF 35 in my set. I looked for an XF to AU coin for several years without any luck. An AU '97 O Half is a TOUGH coin to find!

• Options
    edited November 24, 2017 7:44AM

The '97-O half you have is very nice Jeff. Unquestionably, the quality and grade for such a tough half you have acquired makes your specimen very special! It is screaming a higher grade.

For me, the 1899-S is the lowest PCGS population of all the quarters at 160 (the 1898-S is second at 167). For VF30, it used to be only two (tohmba was the other) but recently became a population of 3. Out of those 3, I have the only one that is CAC green sticker certified. The '99-S quarter is really tougher than most people understand. My favorite... even more than my higher graded specimens and I am thankful for it:

Any other favorites out there? or perhaps really cool acquisitions in 2017 you can share as a recap?

• Options

Finally took pictures of another of my sets! I decided to do my 35 set 1st since it was the 1st I finished. Don't think you will see any headlights here...maybe a fog light or 2! :smiley:
    https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/half-dollars/barber-half-dollars-major-sets/barber-half-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1915/album/118979

• Options

Darrell- your set looks great! You know how to find the good ones.

I had another raw quarter arrive in the mail today from eBay; a 1913:

I presume the dark toned areas come from areas of light wear? I'm hoping this will come back from the grading room in a 58 holder.

It's a wonder this one didn't find it's way to the grading room previously?

• Options

Jeff, That is one weirdly toned quarter!

• Options

Thanks Jeff!

That quarter looks scary! Hopefully acetone will take that crap off!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Thanks Jeff!

That quarter looks scary! Hopefully acetone will take that crap off!

I haven't put it in the acetone yet- we'll see what happens......

• Options

Jeff, You're the king! I'd love to see you get that in a 58 holder without the acetone treatment.
    Good luck!!!

• Options

You like all that crap on the coin???? The 93-O in my VF35 set is a classic example of a coin that would be much nicer if the submitter had just removed the crap with a cotton swab and acetone!

@paesan said:
    Jeff, You're the king! I'd love to see you get that in a 58 holder without the acetone treatment.
    Good luck!!!

• Options

I saw this 1914-S half dollar today... was seeing some sort of blob in the mint mark area. Any thoughts?

• Options

The blob looks like a die chip to me.

• Options

I picked up a hole filler last week for my Barber Dime set, 1896 O in F12:

Nothing special, but it puts my Everyman Complete Barber set over the 94% complete mark.

• Options

Darrell, I didn't say I like it. It's just that fewer and fewer coins can be found in their natural state as the acetone freaks go for the grade. Actually, I'm not even sure that is real toning. In fact, the coin reminds me of a joke, but it's a little off color!

Jeff, Great find in the wild, slab or not.

• Options

Miss Liberty does look like she got a little sh*t faced on my raw '13 Quarter. Looking at the coin more closely I can see some green PVC lurking; it's going to have a date with the acetone bath.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2017 9:04AM

From the picture of that 13 it doesn't look like toning. If that stuff doesn't come off I have my doubts if it will straight grade.

Lenny....acetone does nothing to impair the originality of a coin! I personally believe it is the best thing you can do to a silver coin. Worst case scenario is it does nothing, best case scenario is it removes something from the coin that over time could cause damage!

Edit to add...acetone is not dip and does not alter the surfaces of a coin, but I'm sure you know this! All it does is remove dirt,glue,PVC, etc!

• Options

Darrell, If I take a perfectly original coin with no dirt or PVC or other goop and put acetone on it, you're saying it won't affect the patina to come out brighter?
    Paesan

• Options

Darrell - Glad to see the pics of your 35 set. Nice collection, hope to see your other collections soon.

Jeff - My guess is your raw '13 has been to the grading room before. Nice pick up on the '96-O dime (my favorite date).

Tim - I agree with Jeff, looks like a die chip on your 14-S MM.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

And to belatedly answer Tim's question about which coin I'm most thankful for (there are many), I'm going to go with a non-barber that I was lucky enough to acquire from an old friend many years ago (RIP Clayton). He was a retired farmer who became a weekend dealer here in northern Illinois. A lot of collectors here in Illinois remember Clayt fondly. Back to the coin. A thief had been hitting a couple the local shows and had been successful from more than one dealer. After a short period of time, he tried to sell a couple of his acquistions at a different show to a different dealer, who happened to remember that Clayton had lost an 09-S Indian cent. Many of the coins were recovered and I saw this one right after Clayt got it back, and it has been with me ever since (April 1998). It's a PC64RB:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Yes!

@paesan said:
    Darrell, If I take a perfectly original coin with no dirt or PVC or other goop and put acetone on it, you're saying it won't affect the patina to come out brighter?
    Paesan

• Options
    edited November 26, 2017 12:34PM

Milo, Vern. Nice '94-P in 58. Love the color!

Vern, '09-S Indian... not too often in today's market are coins like that still around. Thanks for sharing what your are thankful for... those one of a kind connections with a cool backstory for a coin you have previously acquired.

Anyone else have a cool coin story combined with that special acquisition in your collection?

• Options

In an effort to bump the thread to the top here's a new raw purchase dime back from the grading room, a 1907 D in a PC 55 holder:

For whatever reason it's a tougher date to find than most would think.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2017 4:15PM

@barberkeys Verne since you bugged me and for the rest of you fine Barberrites! Here is my XF45 set of barber Half's:
    https://pcgs.com/setregistry/album/119049

• Options

Darrell - Thanks for putting the pics with your 45 set. Now, only a few more collections to go.

Pics for this AM, raw newp from Baltimore from my friend Keith. Anyone care to guess what our hosts will call it?

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice coin, Keith. XF 45.

• Options

1'm going to guess it will go in a 1909 S 50C Holder.

With an XF 40 on it.

• Options

Keith. That’s a beauty. Is it the low leaves variety

• Options

Most thankful for my 1896-S quarter PCGS XF-40 from Vern. That's how I met the Rock Star.

• Options

Verne, If that 09-S is graded like 09's are supposed to be graded it's a VF35.

• Options

Agree with Darrell, As much as it would be nice to have a 40, I believe it will grade 35 as well.

• Options

Very nice, my guess is 40.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

The coin I'm most thankful for ... well ... I think it's definitely my 1900-S quarter in PC53. I emailed the seller to "negotiate" on the price back in 2011. This is when I met the countryman, Paesan.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2017 11:00AM

Milo, thanks for the back story! What used to be Lenny's coin is a beauty as seen out in the Everyman registry. The tone is just exquisite. Overall, an awesome quarter set by-the-way! Must have felt good when you reached 100%!

Lenny, The ex-Vern '96-S quarter in 40 has a neat colored halo around the cap and forehead area. Quality color on that tough date. I can see how it is special to you!

• Tim

• Options

Don’t misunderstand my xf40 guess. The coin is a 35. But a nice original problem free coin like this gets a bump. Either way it’s a keeper
    Jim

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

It's a really nice coin. Guessing what the TPG will grade it is a big crap shoot. Consistency is not in any TPG's vocabulary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file