Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will you be bidding in tonight's Stack's auction??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be online, who else will be online and at the venue??

Al H.

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

not me

Frank

BHNC #203

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, both online and in person. There are some great coins in this auction sale!

Good luck to those bidding.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have posted a few bids.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rep of theirs bought a few coins from me , recently. Don’t know which auction they’ll be in. I sure don’t want to pay more for something I wholesaled.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... will be busy at a night shoot.... Teaching dark shooting skills.... One must understand the limitations of no light and how to overcome it.... and not with a flashlight. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

no.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted a bid earlier and have already been defeated. Doubt I'll try a re-entry, but there is always the possibility.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    No... will be busy at a night shoot.... Teaching dark shooting skills.... One must understand the limitations of no light and how to overcome it.... and not with a flashlight. Cheers, RickO

in other words, tracer rounds. :p

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail... No, we do not use tracers.....Those will also give away YOUR location. Cheers, RickO

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll poke some eye's and throw some punches. :*

Hoard the keys.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a link to the sale?

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ricko less Muzzi more trees

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me tonight but definitely tomorrow.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I but best of luck to all here that are bidding :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko,
    That training is good because the FBI Uniform Crime Report (UCR), tells us that most shootings - about 80% - occur in low or reduced light.

And a coin to keep it somewhat on topic

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just perused the lots. There's nothing I'm looking for this time around.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

@topstuf said:
    Got a link to the sale?

I'm serious. I can't navigate Heritage for upcoming auctions.
    Well, I guess I can, but don't know how to arrange them in order and do NOT see anything that says it is happening tonight.

ANYONE got a link?

Thanks.

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@topstuf said:
    Got a link to the sale?

Well, I guess I can, but don't know how to arrange them in order and do NOT see anything that says it is happening tonight.

ANYONE got a link?

Thanks.

Well, this is a Stacks sale. Not Heritage...

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 6:36PM

I bid on over 20 items and will "win" only a few. I fully expected and anticipated to win most of them. Most were from The Cardinal consignment. I will tell you all of my bids were higher then recent results or high estimates. I thought strong enough to win.

I'm thrilled that the NGC 64 Libertas sold for over 50k

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 7:08PM

@topstuf said:

@topstuf said:
    Got a link to the sale?

ANYONE got a link?

Thanks.

They have a new app that does not work at all. It is virtually impossible to even set up the account. My wife was finally able to set it up, but once I was in it, the service was terrible. In the past you could watch the auctioneer just like Heritage. Now you get a static screen. Once more Stacks' has shot themselves in the foot with creaky software.

The Stacks' site has always been hard to navigate. If you don't know the specific lot number, finding an item is very hard. Now they have made it much harder to bid during the auction as well.

When bidding in a live auction becomes something a kin to reaching the end of a Super Mario Brothers game, you have a problem.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 7:07PM

Mark, I also followed that Libertas and had my girlfriend in attendance. she is as good as any spouse should be, she might not understand everything that "gets me" about Numismatics but she supports my endeavors and is interested in the history. when I explained the symbolism of the figures she thought it was a nice depiction and a lovely medal. I will never be able to own one but they are nice to see.

were you a winner of the Commerce medal, I know you were chasing one of them?? I bid on the MS62 but was quickly overtaken. I did win one lot, HK-602 pictured below. I thought the price was very reasonable but overall things seemed higher than expected and the action seemed to be split equally between the floor and internet.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    I posted a bid earlier and have already been defeated. Doubt I'll try a re-entry, but there is always the possibility.

Well. Three times my admitted low bid. Congrats to the winner of the Pan American medal in silver. Awesome provenance, beautiful piece.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    edited November 8, 2017 7:18PM

Hola keets

I got smoked on the bronze diplomatic medals, the Washington to Boston medals and most of the Cardinal libertas items. Won a bolen libertas medal and a couple of others. Strong bids weren't strong enough on most. I'm a little happy that this genre is strong as I've been accumulating over the past couple of years.

Sound like your girl is a winner. Nice medal!

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited November 8, 2017 7:34PM

I've been hyper critical of Stacks internet platforms over the years. So much so that the Stacks president reached out to me to discuss my complaints. He was kind enough to personally handle my bids live on a auction since I lost confidence bidding online. Now a I have to give credit where credit is due. I've since used their mobile app and I have found it responsive, intuitive and easy to use and easy on the eyes. I used it to place 20+ bids and followed the auction live. I enjoyed the experience

Oh and I followed the auction with 3G speed from Columbia South America. Zero problems

mark

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was outbid on all but one lot. Wish I would've bid a little higher on one that I lost ... I hate that feeling, but when you're on a budget you don't always want to stretch too early. Lots of floor action on the lots I was pursuing. I was bidding from the comfort of my home. Both web bidding and the phone app worked fine for me tonight. :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸

Woops. Stacks! :(

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was following, and I'm shocked at some of the strong prices. Bolen material is on fire. Wish I would have grabbed some pieces when they could be had for reasonable amounts. His Baseball medal sold for $5400!
    Insane

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've never had a problem with the Stacks website.
    Have a few bid's in.

I also was intrigued with some of the Bolen medals(followed the Baseball), couldn't compete on the "Arthur Jackson" Pan American medal, was sort of overwhelmed by all the Libertas Americana related stuff and really enjoyed the entire session. the only hiccup for me was that my lots came later and the system must have "timed me out" after a while.

since everything seemed newer looking I thought I would put in a mock bid on an item as things got close just to make sure everything worked OK --- when I did that, it made me sign back in!! if I had waited to do that on an item I really wanted I'd have lost. aside from that I had no problems.

I have no interest in other sessions but please, post what you win and what your overall experience and thoughts are. I feel Stack's usually has a good selection for us, it's nice to see they have tried to fix problems we have complained about.

way to go Stack's!! :)

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't bid on anything form this auction, but browsed lots from some of the other upcoming ones and found several of interest. Also used the Stack's app on my phone and had absolutely no issues, was able to add to my watch list and put in a bid even easier than from my desktop. Time will tell if I win anything.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

1797$1 took a $200k haircut. Ouch

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce, I bought the coin. I was very surprised it went so cheap.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 8:01PM

Got to be the underbidder on the only coin I was really pursuing so far. I tried to enter a cut bid but the software didn’t take it. Maybe it was an internet issue as I didn’t have the best reception where I was. Got a “you lost” notification.

Ah well. Not winning lots has certain advantages too.

@cnncoins said:
    Bruce, I bought the coin. I was very surprised it went so cheap.

I thought you might have. I toyed with throwing a bid it - but it looks 63 and I really don’t care about varieties

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Now a I have to give credit where credit is due. I've since used their mobile app and I have found it responsive, intuitive and easy to use and easy on the eyes. I used it to place 20+ bids and followed the auction live. I enjoyed the experience

Oh and I followed the auction with 3G speed from Columbia South America. Zero problems

mark

My experience using the app has been the same as yours. It works great, I frequently bid during dinner with it and have never had an issue.

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

TDN,
    Was bidding on behalf of mn y midwest collector. It is a major variety and I agree it is a 63, but it's the only known UNC and it is a well known variety.
    He certainly would have had to pay much more if you were a player for it.
    Thanks for you absence!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won one. The little lady said " I don't want to know ". I said "okay".

@cnncoins said:
    TDN,
    Was bidding on behalf of mn y midwest collector. It is a major variety and I agree it is a 63, but it's the only known UNC and it is a well known variety.
    He certainly would have had to pay much more if you were a player for it.
    Thanks for you absence!

Congrats to him - he has a mighty fine collection!

Anybody have their winnings shopped yet?
    Auction ended a while ago and no shipping notice for me. I can't remember if they send you shipping notification with a tracking number or simply ship it off with no notice.
    Anyone?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Anybody have their winnings shopped yet?
    Auction ended a while ago and no shipping notice for me. I can't remember if they send you shipping notification with a tracking number or simply ship it off with no notice.
    Anyone?

Not for me either. I just got an invoice and a receipt so far.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering the same thing. I just got a shipping notice today. My single lot is shipping from California, which I suppose explains the delay. Seems to have taken significantly longer than their competitors.

I received my "item shipped" 1-2 days ago, I expect delivery either Monday or Tuesday.

• hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Nice lady on the phone said the coins were "delayed" from Baltimore.
    Got a shipping notice 8 days after payment.

I just now got shipping notification, 12 days after payment!
    Not happy :|

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

I did a WIre Transfer and haven't heard a peep. Fortunately I'm gone until Dec 1

mark

I paid right after auction ended. Then they sent me like 2 or 3 invoices asking for payment. Now they sit on my coins almost two weeks to ship?
    I don't remember their customer service being so lousy. The only problem I've ever had was with their online auction glitches.
    Oh, well. They still have nice stuff. And this is, after all, a first world problem.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file