Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Post a picture of a holed or damaged coin that you’re happy to own...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2017 7:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As far as I know, this is unique. I would love to find a better one but I am not holding my breath.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    As far as I know, this is unique. I would love to find a better one but I am not holding my breath.

Wow, wow, wow.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 6:23AM

Not special, but keeping with a 'South of the Border' proclivity, here...

This one had a really gnarly hole, I fixed it a bit, years ago...

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of these would look great in my collection - hole and all.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that 1732-Mo 2R

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Should I add that to your want list?

Andy Lustig

I will take the button... :D

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratched, cleaned, hairlines... Yet I have never seen another one, so happy to own it despite its imperfections. Proclamation medal, Emperor Agustin, Oaxaca Mexico 1822.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Middlesex Spence D&H #749

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Should I add that to your want list?

My entire collection costs about the same as that holey dollar - I think I'll pass for now :)

@farthing

I understand the "problem", but it wouldn't bother me.

Very nice!

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several which I posted in the past:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/961848/filling-holes-with-damaged-coins-anglo-saxon-collection

Wiglaf of Mercia. Less than a dozen known of this shadowy English monarch of the 9th century.

Aethelwald Moll of Northumbria. Three known of these even shadowier English monarch of the 8th century.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ireland, early 18th century token.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 10:58AM

@OriginalDan said:

Rare Spanish 2 Reales from Mexico City, Philip V type. A key date, this one was absent from the generally comprehensive Norweb group, to give some perspective.

Some lovely coins in this thread, holes, damage, and all.

With regard to comments like “missing from the Norweb Collection,” which I am also guilty of making, I’ve come to the following conclusion.

They were missing not because of their absolute rarity (like the marketers seem to imply), but because of their condition rarity. Mrs Norweb didn’t want a comparatively low grade coin in her collection of high grade coins, so she simply did without and waited for a nicer one. Given the availability of good coins during her collecting tenure, I can’t imagine she wasn’t offered every rare coin available. She just chose not to buy some of them.

While the above coin is a beautiful and historically important coin, you have to agree it wouldn’t fit her collection. Same with my 1732 Mo 2R.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff, thanks for adding this @pruebas. I really respect the magnificent collections that were “ok” with some holes because the available examples didn’t fit the quality. It doesn’t lessen the accomplishment to me, in fact it goes to show just how tough some of them must be in high grade. As you pointed out, they were offered the nice stuff if it existed.

The chopmarks on this one explain why there probably aren’t any (or many) high grade examples.

edited November 23, 2017 9:32AM

Aside, slightly OT -- I vaguely remember Mrs. Norweb appearing on some episode(s) of the original 'Jeopardy' game show on television, hosted by Art Fleming. IIRC, Mrs. Norweb played on behalf of some charity, and she mopped-up several games. She may have worn a mink stole (one of her personal trademarks) on one episode! She was presented as a great and imminent lady and scholar, and it made an impression on me. This was when most television was still mostly in black and white.

Young Mr. and Mrs. R. Henry Norweb

The older Mrs. Norweb

Then there is the story of how Mrs. Norweb sat on one of Walter Breen's chocolate candy bars, while wearing a mink coat, at some coin dealer's office (maybe J. Ford's office). They did not have the guts to tell her, and she left with a candy bar stuck in the back of her mink. [IIRC, QDB wrote up this incident some years ago.]

Have I said this week that I despise spellchecker?

edited November 23, 2017 6:45PM

I made a further biographical comment on Mrs. Norweb that was perhaps incorrect. I will research it some more.

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Aside, slightly OT -- I vaguely remember Mrs. Norweb appearing on some episode(s) of the original 'Jeopardy' game show on television, hosted by Art Fleming. IIRC, Mrs. Norweb played on behalf of some charity, and she mopped-up several games. She may have worn a mink stole (one of her personal trademarks) on one episode! She was presented as a great and imminent lady and scholar, and it made an impression on me. This was when most television was still mostly in black and white.

Young Mr. and Mrs. R. Henry Norweb

The older Mrs. Norweb

Then there is the story of how Mrs. Norweb sat on one of Walter Breen's chocolate candy bars, while wearing a mink coat, at some coin dealer's office (maybe J. Ford's office). They did not have the guts to tell her, and she left with a candy bar stuck in the back of her mink. [IIRC, QDB wrote up this incident some years ago.]

Have I said this week that I despise spellchecker?

That's neat to hear that she was on Jeopardy.
    My wife appeared on the show last year, and I've tried out too (but was not invited to appear).

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, my Dad gave me this coin in a group he said my Grandpa brought back from his WWII service. If I remember correctly, he was in Africa, India and various Middle Eastern places on his tour.

It’s about the size of a US silver dollar. The design is cool and the hole doesn’t bother me in the least as I know it’s passed through some important family hands.

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

This is a jewelry piece. I often imagine a high official in the church wearing this around his neck. I purchased several years back from a forum member in England,

This thread needs @oreville !

Andy Lustig

@YQQ said:

It may be true that it "extremely scares in any grade", but your piece is absolutely terrifying!

Andy Lustig

Mr. Eureka,
    that may be so o:) and it is all in the eyes of the beholder. But it is still a 1889 10 cent.
    I take this one any day for $3.
    Lets see your Canada 1889 10 cent with a hole please.

@carabonnair

Lots of people would be very happy with that sixpence!

All the important design elements are all there!

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some I have pictures of:

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

A member here owns a 1955/55 PCGS holed cent I'd love if he would post again.

peacockcoins

@HoledandCreative

Those are all excellent, especially Henry VII.

George II is so nice (and a Lima treasure coin) that one might rue the hole just a little bit!

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! A spinner made out of a 55 double die!

Nice square nail hole in a Saxony half thaler 1547.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one I found in any auction records - none to compare with and detailed as rare on KM without pricing information. Can not be picky and bought it in spite of the surface damage.

@YQQ said:
    Mr. Eureka,
    that may be so o:) and it is all in the eyes of the beholder. But it is still a 1889 10 cent.
    I take this one any day for $3.
    Lets see your Canada 1889 10 cent with a hole please.

Don't blame me! You're the one who said your coin "scares"! :D

Andy Lustig

ok , you win! :(

This William III halfcrown has what looks to be a W.B on the reverse. I think this matches most closely to William Burch who registered his mark in London in March, 1788 according to http://silvermakersmarks.co.uk/

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

This is hard to see because it's really dark and a scanner can only do so much. My grandfather brought this back from WWII. I was unable to ask him about it as I never met him. I like to imagine the two damage marks were this coin protecting him from shrapnel or some such, but probably not.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

But had it not been for tradedollarnut's help I would have lost out on that very special coin with the hole in it!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

@oreville said:
    But had it not been for tradedollarnut's help I would have lost out on that very special coin with the hole in it!!

No pics???

Andy Lustig

• 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 3:48PM

Finem Respice