Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you own any coins that have declined in value?

2»

Comments

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got rid of my VAMs years ago, fortunately.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

My PCGS pr69dcam 79 and 81 type 2 SBA dollars are fetching 40% of what they were 10 years ago.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2017 3:15PM

@BillJones said:
    The one good thing I can say about this coin is that all of the others that I have seen offered at the major shows or in the large auctions have been worse than this one except for the Pogue coin which is the finest known.

Then, can we say your coin is the second finest known?! :)

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Here is the 1808 Quarter Eagle that I have which has gone down by a bundle. This is the second rarest type coin in the U.S. series just behind the 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle. The one good thing I can say about this coin is that all of the others that I have seen offered at the major shows or in the large auctions have been worse than this one except for the Pogue coin which is the finest known. This is in an old green label PCGS AU-50 holder.

I own the Garrett 1808 in PCGS AU53 CAC. It is quite attractive. Not sure it is as nice as Bill's 1808 but certainly it is nice.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:
    The one good thing I can say about this coin is that all of the others that I have seen offered at the major shows or in the large auctions have been worse than this one except for the Pogue coin which is the finest known.

Then, can we say your coin is the second finest known?! :)

There no way that my coin is the second finest known. It might be in the top ten or fifteen, but I have not seen very many no problem pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2017 4:00PM

I'm quite certain that many of my coins have declined in value while I've owned them. I also know for a fact that the 1804$1 declined in value before I bought it. The Pogues turned down $5M offers on the coin multiple times.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MANOFCOINS said:
    My list would be smaller if I listed the few that have not declined. Unfortunately I am not kidding.

Yes. This. Bingo.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most significant losses have been from the Wisconsin hi and low leaf varieties. Those sucker were booming when first discovered. They are pretty affordable now..

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    Not as much as oil :o

Drill baby, drill. :D

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

My pre 1835 material has increased in value, except I'm even on my AU Bust $. I'm even to slightly ahead on my Seated coins. Haven't checked on my early 20th century coins.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Seems to me that the coins that have declined the most are the ones that represented poor value compared to other coins. In other words, most of the declines that we've seen seem completely logical to me. Would you agree?

It cuts both ways. I own a top pop DCAM Liberty nickel (the only DCAM in any grade) that last sold for half of what it sold for two years prior. It is CACed. I feel it is undervalued from its last auction appearance. On the other hand, a handful of other coins I purchased were overpriced previously, and I am now seeing a "deserved" market correction.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my Barbers.

Also, my 1916 Stand Liberty quarter, got out with a small loss

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no doubt many of my coins have declined in value... certainly a couple that I know I overpaid for - I just really wanted those... Since I do not partake in the sales end of the market, it does not worry me. I have not seen any real decline in the buying market yet.... at least not in the few I am interested in. Cheers, RickO

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sold 9 coins at Great collections last month. I bought the 9 coins over several past years for a combined total of $486. When I sent them to Great Collections I checked the PCGS price guide and the base value was $264.
    I got my check from Great collections last week for $109.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, yes. Too many to mention, but probably has to do with numerous resubmittals artificially increasing the population figures.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have plenty of coins that have gone down, but the ones I still need seem to keep going up.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few pieces go down, but nothing that makes me want to jump out the nearest window. What I did watch (and stay away from) was the insane prices at one time for late date MS-66 Walkers or MS-66 RD 1946 thru 1954 Philly Lincoln cents. I remember seeing 1946 MS-66 Walkers going for $700 to $900 and MS-66 RD 1954 Lincolns pushing $500. Heck, even MS-67 RD 1958-D Lincolns were pushing a grand in the guide! Now these prices are far lower and who knows how far they will go. I think about all the money I "saved" by holding out, but the $120 I paid for my 1954 MS-66 RD (with CAC) may not hold up either. We'll see...

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that case I just price them cost plus - maybe I will get lucky.....lol.

Coins & Currency
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have a stomach ache now......

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

With cost of living increase.. yes... everything goes down in value

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohhhhhhh yes, a whole bunch of Canadian Dollars.
    Used to be worth US 1.10+ each, now worth 66 cent US..., each
    does one call that inflation or deflation, or e-valuation or D-valuation?
    you figure... :'(

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sold (eBay auction) a 1954 Proof Set for $52.79. Grey sheet wholesale bid is $88. (IIRC). Good thing it was a consignment and the owner understands how fickle the hobby actually is.

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file