Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary American Liberty One Ounce Silver Medal (17XB) ($59.95)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 14, 2017 3:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

You should read the updates in the next post, which have links to more information.

(Edited 5/20)

The Mint finally disclosed its June schedule. The only release of note will be the American Liberty medal. They do have a placeholder page up.

225th Anniversary American Liberty One Ounce Silver Medal (17XB)

On sale June 14, 2017, at 12 noon (ET).

No pricing announced in the Federal Register yet. Last year's medal was $34.95.

See next post for more information.

May 18 edit:
Images added: (Link to more images)

(June 14 edit: Moved updates to next post)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 18, 2017 10:04AM

May 19 update: The Mint has changed the Mint from West Point to Philadelphia.

May 20 update:
    Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

June 7 update: Price has been disclosed at $59.95. No product limit, no HHL.

June 13 update: The US Mint finally updates the product web page to $59.95, the day before sales begins.

Link to first day of sales (June 14)

Sales data:

1792-2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Medal (17XB)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    6/14/201726,833First day sales
    6/18/201733,07533,075
    6/25/201736,0382,963
    7/2/201736,08547
    7/9/201738,1962,111
    7/16/201738,685489
    7/23/201739,264579
    7/30/201740,004740
    8/6/201741,3041,300
    8/13/201741,933629
    8/20/201742,513580
    8/27/201743,121608
    9/4/201743,947826
    9/10/201744,431484
    9/17/201744,860429
    9/24/201745,171311
    10/1/201745,922751
    10/8/201746,462540
    10/15/201746,962500
  • Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2017 10:43AM

Did not care for it in gold...don't care for it in silver.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

Yes. Will be buying this one. I believe there are 4 different finishes for the medal.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't care for the design, but need to get a PCGS 70 FS rev proof one for my rev proof silver & gold coin collection.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Mintage limits will be the deciding factor

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@BigA said:

+1

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

And the HHL. And the price.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2017 11:45AM

@pf70collector said:
    Yes. Will be buying this one. I believe there are 4 different finishes for the medal.

From reports, there will be five different representations of the medal. West Point will be doing a the stand alone medal and a proof (?). The uncirc, reverse proof and enhanced will be coming from the other mints.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@pf70collector said:

From reports, there will be five different representations of the medal. West Point will be doing a the stand alone medal and a proof (?). The uncirc, reverse proof and enhanced will be coming from the other mints.

I'm guessing they'll be sold as a (hopefully) complete set -- like the 2014 Kennedy commemorative set.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@pf70collector said:

I'm guessing they'll be sold as a (hopefully) complete set -- like the 2014 Kennedy commemorative set.

Yes. The Stand Alone from West Point, then a four medal set from all four mints later this year, ala the Kennedy. Same mints might be doing the same finishes, i.e. the enhanced from Denver, the RP from Philly. Hopefully they finish the enhanced dies a bit better than the Kennedy Set.

Original information stated the four medal set wouldn't be based on the American Liberty coin, but later reports seem to refute that.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be in for this one- thanks for posting. I bought both Liberty medals last year by the skin of my teeth. I'd like to continue the series without paying a "flipper premium." Honestly; I hate flippers, they can be canned along with tuna...sorry Charlie!!! o:)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in. If mintage is limited like last year, this could be another home run.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they don't make too many of them, and they put tight HHLs on them, I wouldn't mind being in a can with the tuna and would flip any I could get all day long. Don't like the design, not interested in the series, so I wouldn't be keeping any and any profit would be sweetness :smiley:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict high mintage numbers, which will kill any flip. Why? Last years was a nice flip, so the mint will decide to ruin it this year.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I predict high mintage numbers, which will kill any flip. Why? Last years was a nice flip, so the mint will decide to ruin it this year.

I agree

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not an area of interest for me - however, if I were a seller, I would certainly be preparing to get as many as possible and hit the market within an hour of confirmed sale. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 18, 2017 7:44AM

Website Images added. That sure looks like a "P" mint mark to me. This is supposed to be coming from West Point...

Looks like a book is coming with it?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

Looks like a book is coming with it?

I think that book is completely unnecessary. And with that display case, I'm guessing the price will be $20 more than last year's silver medal.

That ought to kill sales. Maybe that's the intent?

And sadly, it diminishes the special-ness of the gold version's packaging:

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Website Images added. That sure looks like a "P" mint mark to me. This is supposed to be coming from West Point...

The mint clarified the stand alone medal will be from Philly, not West Point.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 2:09PM

As I look at these, it seems to me that the june medal (P) is a 225th Anniversary duel-date (1792-2017) medal paired with the gold. The 4 medal set will be a single date continuation of the American Liberty silver medals. While all are silver medals, they are not all the same series. I see little information on these, am I seeing this logically?.........

NO! just checked my Baltimore exhibit pictures, all silver medals are duel-date.... sorry

(l8-)>>

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both the African American woman on the obverse and the version of eagle in flight with wings lowered are new to US coinage. (correct me if I'm wrong) The ONLY thing I don't like about either design is the stars appear to be out of proportion to the rest of the obverse bust. I'm in for one of the silver examples.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2017 2:02AM

The mint populated the AmLib Ag Medal page this morning. (Cue Price is Right fail music):

225th Anniversary American Liberty Silver Medal (17XB)

Item Number: 17XB

No price published yet, but with the Plat Proof packaging and book, expect a significant premium over the $34.95 of last year.

• Options

Well if that holds i will be saving a bit of money....

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad they did that with the ordering limits. Flip the flippers. I wish they would have such ordering programs and a limited ordering period of TIME just to keep the numbers a bit sane. The last silver medal offering was IMO a travesty, collectors such as me would have ordered regardless and not to flip.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

With an unlimited mintage and an unlimited household limit, anything paid over spot is a waste.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

With unlimited mintage, you'll have plenty of time to order these whenever you want.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@PaleElf said:
    With an unlimited mintage and an unlimited household limit, anything paid over spot is a waste.

Yup, it kinda becomes a silver round but a round issued by the Mint....but....release date has not arrived yet. Changes are possible once they realize there will be a LOT of booklets and packaging sitting in stock forever

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get one.... Maybe two... as gifts to special friends... maybe three, one to keep... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

No price published yet, but with the Plat Proof packaging and book, expect a significant premium over the $34.95 of last year.

This will change at some point. The very reason I missed the 2016 Liberty.

• Options

Mintage limits for the 2016 medal were published two weeks before release

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like the option of NOT getting the same book that came with the gold.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2017 11:26AM

@BigA said:
    Mintage limits for the 2016 medal were published two weeks before release

That's only because they didn't even bother to populate the web page (or post product images) until two weeks before the sale. (They didn't publish the price in the Federal Register until three weeks before sale.)

I suspect the mint will overreact (like history tells us), and not put limits on the mintage. They over-reacted with with the 2012 ASE set (mint to demand), the NA Coin and Currency sets. the Centennial Gold coins and the presidential coin and chronicles after the myriad of complaints they received.

After only issuing 12.5K from two mints last year, I'd be surprised if they do put limits on this release, and even if they do, they'll make it ridiculously high.

Remember this is supposed to be the premier issue for the mint's 225th. They'll want every one who wants one to have one. Witness its gold sister.

Edit: Gah! Replace "Mintage" with "Product" everywhere above. The mint has never has mintage limits on medals, but they do put on product limits.

• Options

I suspect the price will be posted today (since I'm posting this), but it's two weeks before release, and the Mint still hasn't published a price, and it's still an unlimited release.

I'm beginning to think my theory about the medal having a significant price increase over the $34.95 of last year. So let's play WAG!

The four-coin kennedy set was $99.95 for $30 in melt value. The four-coin AmLib set will have around $70 in silver melt, so I'm guessing $199.95, since they'll probably make the OGP nicer than the Kennedy.)

Should that be the case, they wouldn't significantly under-price the stand alone medal. That would put the medal around the proof eagle range or $50, +/- a couple.

I'm still in for one, 'cause I got both of last years. I'm not sure I'd have it graded unless it screams, "Send me in" when I get it. Flippers will run screaming from this one. It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries...

(Well yes, I'm doing backups and wasting time...)

• Options

I'm going with $35.95....medals should be priced lower than their coin counterparts. With no limits of any kind this will be a non-event....

I still think there will be a mintage limit posted..might be up there but there will be a limit of some kind....maybe

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Flipping interest: None

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2017 8:55AM

Loser :/:/:/

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

49.95 a the mint goes for a seemingly higher than normal mark-up.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they will mint more than last years medal

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would not surprise me if the Mint will "shoot themselves in the foot" again & increase the mintage to an unsustainable amount, just like they did with the gold one. Or last years 100th Anniv. isssues.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

This is a sweet release. Probably the nicest original design of the year from the mint. Thanks for sharing.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2017 6:30PM

I like the design, however, the placement of the initials are too 'in your face, look at me, look at me' and the P mintmark looks like an island in the middle of the Pacific. ;-)

I liked it when the initials were hidden in the devices, only exception being the stylized ASG on the $20.

ed4sp

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Victor David Brenner.................find Charles Barber and send Him down here to erase all those prominent designer Initials!!!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

What renman95 said.

• Options

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    I think they will mint more than last years medal

Pretty safe statement

• Options

$49.95, I'm still in.

• Options

10 days and counting...

• Options
    FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

My first thought when I saw this coin was "Cool, Lady Liberty is black, that's new."

Then I stopped and asked myself why I knew she was black.

I find myself kind of uncomfortable with the idea that the Mint set out to design a coin with a woman who is "obviously black" on it. Not because the woman is black but because in the absence of skin color or any kind of external context the only way to make sure people know she's black is by incorporating stereotypical black facial features.

Then I started thinking about the Sacagawea dollar. I know there's an Indian on it, right? How is that any different? Well for one, the design is based on a historical, recognizable figure. Also, going and looking at the coin I'm not sure I would immediately think "Indian" if I didn't know who was on the coin.

I'm not offended by the coin in any way, I just found myself wondering if the reinforcing of physical stereotypes (stereotypes many see as negative) has the potential to outweigh the benefits of the intent of the coin.

I think the Mint might have been better served with a design that allowed for more context so as to not require as much reliance on physical features to get its point across.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one can say all members of a race are all the same.

There is a genetic component to facial features. Ancestral genetics plays a role.

Would you deny skin color? Oops. Albinos.

No one can say that all members of a race are all the same.

There are similarities and genetics does play a role.

PS it is said that the Sacs are popular in central South America because the image looks like the natives there.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file