Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary American Liberty One Ounce Silver Medal (17XB) ($59.95)

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2017 6:50AM

Ridiculous mark up. What is the better choice or value, with silver below $17 ? 3 Commemorative proofs on the open market, or 1 new silver medal ?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Severely overpriced.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

But ya know....I'm an addict.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    But ya know....I'm an addict.

BWAhahahahha... I think there's a 12-step program for that. The first step, is to recognize there's a problem...

I think full disclosure should have me relate that I bought a 1/2ozt silver coin from Perth (Down Under), and it arrived today. Paid (including shipping) $59.05, or only about 5 bucks less than the AmLib medal.

HOWEVER, I'm going to get some big-time brownie points from the person I'm gifting the Perth coin to. So that makes the Perth coin totally worth it, the AmLib, not so much... :wink:

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my question. How comfortable are you if you have a free 6 millions dollars US mint gift card to use, no transfer and expire next year spring?

Are you willing to bet it all on this medal by cornering the market before the end of this year? :D

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    Here is my question. How comfortable are you if you have a free 6 millions dollars US mint gift card to use, no transfer and expire next year spring?

Are you willing to bet it all on this medal by cornering the market before the end of this year? :D

Give me a $6M gift card, I'd buy 2,000 4-coin AGE sets. Better deal.

With no product limit on the Ag AmLib metal, you can't possibly corner the market by only buying 100K of 'em.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 1:04PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    With no product limit on the Ag AmLib metal, you can't possibly corner the market by only buying 100K of 'em.

High possibility if you purchase right before the deadline of production adding the fact that this medal won't sell well.

Anyhow, my logic was simple. If budget was not a concern and you really like this medal then go for it.

But if you have any doubt in both investment or collection wide, may be it would be the best to wait.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will wait till 9am pacific time, fer sure.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 2:36PM

11am Central, you bet ya!
    It's an itch I just can't scratch...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Nope...I'll get a few graded ones in a couple of months

• Options

6 am Hawaii time. Alarm set to 5:35 am. I'm in for one.

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    But if you have any doubt in both investment or collection wide, may be it would be the best to wait.

That's my plan. I am selfishly hoping they sell a crap load of these, which would depress the price in the market later in a couple of years.

Regardless of how sales go tomorrow, there will be another spike in sales when the sets go on sale, so you can judge whether you think it's going to be up or down on the aftermarket at that time.

Now this brings us back to the set speculation theories. (i.e. WAG time.)

Back in September of last year, I wrote (sourced from Coin World):

As suspected, the 2017 High Relief American Liberty will have an associated silver medal, possibly in more than one finish. The mint is contemplating a silver four finish medal set of the 2017 HR coin, as part of their 225th anniversary. One finish from each mint, ala the Kennedy set.

Interestingly, the article states the four coin set will double the number of 1oz medals issued in 2016. Simple math says that's 12,500 sets, since 25,000 silver medals were issued in 2016.

Could it be they made the standalone medal unlimited because the 4-medal set is going to be a (relatively) small production?

12.5K sets would make those stars look a lot smaller. (And they're going to be even larger on an ASE blank.)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone set an alarm and wake up early for this? It's not like its selling out.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2017 5:56PM

11am I will be at work, call me the odd man out I still feel there will be a mintage limit. Feel this way simply because of the type of packaging they will provide for a single Medal. They also have (in stock) a limitless amount of packaging, for a no limit Medal? If I am wrong I will publicly apologize to Backroadjunkie, great guy for starting these great threads.
    Steve

• Options

I am finally accepting the fact that this will be an unlimited product. I was sure they would put a limit on in the last week before sales but nope. I also assumed an under $40 price tag.Now just an overpriced, not so great design Mint product that will be around for quite a while. DEFINITELY makes last years' medal a steal.....

• Options

@BigA said:
    I am finally accepting the fact that this will be an unlimited product.

+1
    I do apologize to Backroadjunkie, I was wrong about mintage limit.
    However, I'm Still in...

• Options

@ECHOES said:
    I do apologize to Backroadjunkie, I was wrong about mintage limit.

Ugh... You know, if I were to apologize for every time I WAG'd wrong on what the Mint's intention was, that's all I'd be doing.

(Actually, on another forum (not related to coins), I used to post a blanket apology every couple of months for everything I posted, real or imagined....)

• Options

In & Out....not the restaurant. USM051237xx Got just one

• Options

Well, they sold at least one! :wink:

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I bought some, but haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Good luck when it comes time to sell these.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got one. Can't resist the shiny object! Darn it!

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfStrike said:
    Good luck when it comes time to sell these.

I heard that about the 1995 10th Anniversary Eagle set at a ridiculous price of $1000.00

• Options

Yup...these are exactly the same

B)

• Options

It's on backorder!!!!! nah, just kidding :)

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Order # 0000000

• Options

Probably should have used #0000xxx

• Options

USM051238XX

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    In & Out....not the restaurant. USM051237xx Got just one

Guess its just me and you.
    USM051238XX

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased one... it is a special gift for a close friend.... USM051256XX.... so, they are selling...Have not checked the website today, but likely still available.... It is a nice medal...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 15, 2017 9:17AM

By subtracting your order number from mine I get 1,900. Not exactly a run a way hit. From the posts here it kinda follows.

edit to add
    Checked Mint site, the order SHIPPED this morning as has been the custom since the new fulfillment company took over. Not that they were overwhelmed by order volume. Waiting to see a report in Mint News Blog of first day sales.
    Never got a confirmation email or a shipped email....but I blame that on AOL because of their deteriorating email delivery of late.

Did any of you thousands that ordered get the usual emails?

• Options

Well, unlike most other issues, no one is reporting any first day sales. Pretty quiet. As a matter of fact, I think the only order numbers I've seen were posted here.

Anyway, I've reorganized posts one and two of this thread, with pointers into the discussion on key dates, so it'll be easier to look up information in the future. (This may be how I organize threads (started by me) for products such as this, since it's frustratingly difficult to extract info from really long lived threads.)

• Options

I like what you've done Backroad. A good idea once a thread get very long with several event points. I'll do it too if I post a thread that gets this type of response.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I might buy one in the aftermarket if the price drops low enough.
    This will be a flop for the flippers.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I ordered mine yesterday at 12:44 pm EST the order number was USMO51260XX

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Well, unlike most other issues, no one is reporting any first day sales...

C'mon, not even a guess?

I'll be very surprised if first-day sales are less than 10,000.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Checked Mint site, the order SHIPPED this morning as has been the custom since the new fulfillment company took over. Not that they were overwhelmed by order volume. Waiting to see a report in Mint News Blog of first day sales.
    Never got a confirmation email or a shipped email....but I blame that on AOL because of their deteriorating email delivery of late.

Did any of you thousands that ordered get the usual emails?

Shipped today as well for me.
    I did receive a confirmation e-mail, then received notification e-mail that Medal went on sale.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I purchased one... it is a special gift for a close friend.... USM051256XX.... so, they are selling...Have not checked the website today, but likely still available.... It is a nice medal...Cheers, RickO

usm05123931 at 12:01 no traffic

(l8-)>>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine shipped today...got email notification. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@COCollector said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Well, unlike most other issues, no one is reporting any first day sales...

C'mon, not even a guess?

I'll be very surprised if first-day sales are less than 10,000.

My guesses on sales generally sucks, but hey, that's never stopped me before. :smiley:

You are probably right, since they sold 14K gold coins the first day. Those that own the gold will probably want the silver as the companion, and then there are those who couldn't afford the gold and would settle for a silver medal. (As much as the silver medal costs, it is still less than 4% of the cost of the gold coin.) There's also a higher chance that the TV hucksters and biggie coin marts will buy into this product to get FS/ER PF-70's.

However, if you're not getting it graded, there's no reason to rush and buy one. There is also that four-coin set coming out... sometime. Some may settle for the SF proof in that set and forgo the Philly medal all together.

But what really makes me hesitate at a guess, is the utter rejection of this medal because of the cost and/or design choices (not only here, but other blogs), which really makes me think it's closer to 10K than not. The first numbers we might see will be through Sunday (unless the Mint mysteriously has another technical problem like they did after the Gold AmLib went on sale).

Maybe 12K first day sales, 15K by Sunday.

• Options

By order numbers reported I calculate roughly 2500 sold. Of course this is totally inaccurate. It does indicate the minimal sales and acceptance for what ever reason you point out. I'm not sure first day sales will reach 10k. The Tuesday report could be close to that but would be the total through Sunday.

• Options

Please post when Medal arrives. Lot's-o-pics please!

• Options

26,833 first day sales according to Mint News blog

• Options

That is a surprising number. Seems more popular then these boards reflect. But then again, is this due to TV Swindl....er......Dealers buying the majority?

• Options

I would say a few dealers bought in large quantities. Not sure they will be able to sell them for a profit though.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    I would say a few dealers bought in large quantities. Not sure they will be able to sell them for a profit though.

They'll make money on the medals that grade 70.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

I wonder if they opened these to bulk sales.

But yeah, I don't think it was individuals who bought the majority.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could be right - MCM has the PCGS 70 at $140.
    Be patient, Crickets.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file