Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Made purchase on BST, but never received merchandise.

It's been 40+ days since the seller cashed my cashier's check (verified by my bank). Seller gave me a tracking number that says, "order processed: ready for ups" (a label was created, but ups never received possession of a package for shipment.) I contacted the seller through private message and email eight times, but received no response. In fact, he hasn't even logged into this forum since Jan. 6. I have the seller's name and (out of state) address, but no phone number. What specific steps should I take next?

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it metalsaver1970? I saw a thread posted about him awhile back.. I don't know what I would do other than Google Map his address and name or try to find him on Facebook or something.. Not much you can do but I wish you the best!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if he died. Many forum members are fairly old and not in the best of health.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a city and state?

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is his name? You'd be doing a public service by informing us.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 8:04PM

Yes, user name would help. Was he a long time member? Another case for using PP.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let us know. It will help you and all of us. Sometimes these are just misunderstandings, or like someone said earlier..people pass away. It has happened on these boards more than once...

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

The "user" is metalsaver1970 with a most likely made up name of "Ed johnson" and he had plenty of excuses. He is plenty alive. He claimed to have injured his leg and somehow that makes it so he can't "get to the post office." He also hasn't emailed me since early January.

His "email" is edward70johnson@outlook.com

He is a scammer

I was fortunate enough to pay through paypal and got my $ back. Others have used other methods such as Google wallet.

Do yourself a favor and report it to https://ic3.gov/default.aspx

• Options

P.s.

He also gave me a "tracking #" it was part of the scam making you think it's "on its way, just be patient."

In addition to reporting his crime to the link I provided, you should also contact your bank to get more info on who the clown was that cashed it so you can track him down.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had any luck with IC3 reporting, doesn't hurt reporting it though. Look at all enforcement options, even grouping together with other scammed people. File a report with your local police; postal inspectors; if in state small claims court; do everything you can to make the scammer radioactive and easily "found" through google searches.

• Options

PM sent to OP.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reg PP is your best friend. My guess the % of transactions gone bad over the years on the BST might even equal or exceed eBay's %.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Reg PP is your best friend. My guess the % of transactions gone bad over the years on the BST might even equal or exceed eBay's %.

So, folks have commented on "his extremely low prices" and he joined the forum November 16 and he didn't take PayPal or CC's...
    Gosh, how many more clues were necessary?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Miles,

I was concerned of course and he said he would "open an account" with PayPal. I also asked to be invoiced (sent him a link on how to do just that.) He claims paypal "froze" the funds (probably the only truth he told because I did get my $ back.)

I think I was the only one that paid via paypal unfortunately. But I still want to see justice and will help when and where I can.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was metalsaver1970 that burned the OP, I feel for him.
    I recall the first thread about that....and, if memory serves me right, he came back recently with another thread...I can't find it right now, but it was another bst thread.

I love a bargain, but I am cautious by nature and steer away from the types of deals that someone like that puts out there.
    In that case, I would have done either PP (and paid the % or split it, if I really wanted it) or paid it once the goods were received.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 4:12AM

Sorry to hear, OP! I also paid him about $1000 via Paypal. Filed a dispute and got my money back. His excuse was that Paypal was holding onto the money, so he couldn't ship out the coin (for nearly a month). To be fair though, he had been in contact with me during this time. He said he couldn't ship because of the PP hold, and even said he would see if he could get PP to expedite the dispute. Maybe, he was trying to gain my trust?

I was going to do a larger $12K transaction with "Ed". The prices were a little too good, but nothing too crazy. He would have still done slightly better than selling to a dealer. He didn't want to take Paypal and didn't want to ship first either, although he had no feedback on this forum and I have several references.

I asked where he was located so we could potentially do the transaction in person. He claimed to be in Ohio and I'm in Illinois, so I offered to drive out there to do the deal. When he started making ridiculous excuses as to why he can't meet me in person (too busy volunteering), I figured it's probably best to not send him any money via a method other than Paypal regular.

References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems the warning signs were there in many cases.... however, it is good to get this out and visible here on the forum so that people are aware of the con.... of course, he could soon be back under another name....
    I hate to see this, since I have done many, flawless and excellent transactions on the BST..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 9:15AM

@logger7 said:
    I have never had any luck with IC3 reporting, doesn't hurt reporting it though. Look at all enforcement options, even grouping together with other scammed people. File a report with your local police; postal inspectors; if in state small claims court; do everything you can to make the scammer radioactive and easily "found" through google searches.

No luck with IC3 here either for a $2000 scam. And I even had their name, phone number, bank accounts, copy of cash/signed check by perp, google satellite shot of their house, etc. IC3 jurisdiction for Atlanta wouldn't do a thing. The local police couldn't even knock on their door. What a farce. I think they'd rather keep the scammer's money in their state/jurisdiction than sending it back where it's now a "drain" on their economy...lol.

Tried all those others too including BBB, state consumer protection, Attorney General, police at both jurisdictions, etc. The "authorities" want the big fish and/or organized crime with numerous scams for sums at least over $25,000-$50,000 in total. A shout out to Doug Davis who does more than most of these other entities combined.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

You could try a collection agency before or after you get a judgment. 25% plus an initial fee to do a skip trace or credit rating lien is standard.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

If this keeps happening,we may loose our privilege to BST on this site. Perhaps a message stuck on top of the board warning newcomers of the danger of being scammed and to do their own due diligence. The "old-timers" can usually spot a deal too good to be true but not so for newer members. .

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

there is a common denominator to the scammers.

I for sure would like a post at the top of the BST as mentioned by the previous poster.We simply have to use due diligence and have to get references if the seller is unknown. I have had many hundreds of buys here and never had a problem. I insist on regular paypal those are my terms I set as a buyer. Sellers can set there terms but as a buyer I do not need to accept them too many coins out there to buy.

I will not do ppg and will not send a check or money order to anyone I dont know period. That aspect effects almost all the scammers based on the post I have read almost all are ppg transactions and are not covered by the newest TOS of Paypal.

It is better to pass and buy another day elsewhere. If the seller wont take reg paypal it is a big red flag and I walk.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2017 10:00AM

Banding together and the total $ scammed adds up.

Band together on the IC3 reporting will raise more red flags.

I also agree another alt is in the works and if I feel that might be the case, then shipping the product first must be the new normal protocol for these forums (if you have no history)

If you're not in the famed "circle of trust" then you ship the product first

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will PCGS delete that account right away or is there a procedure a victim has to take to make that happen?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I PMd him about a BS&T post and never got a reply.

Good luck.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I follow a few simple rules to reduce my chances of getting scammed:
    Buy only from active participants here who post on a fairly regular basis.
    Buy only from forum members with a high post count and have been here a fairly long time.
    For high value items, get references and check them.
    If a deal is too good to be true, pass on the deal because it probably is.
    Get good pics of the merchandise being sold.
    When you get the sellers contact information, also get their phone number.
    Listen to your gut feelings---they're usually right.
    These simple common sense rules will greatly put the odds in your favor of having a successful transaction.

This. It should be a template for all to follow.

• Options

The guy's con followed a pattern; say you have easily sold items at or below metal/currency value, offered "to collectors". Ask questions that throw off the scent, ie, I have a large bullion collection and want to get good money, what are the best forms of payment? Have a standard or slightly goofy avatar and name. Come off as Mr. Joe Collector, a nice understanding guy.

Personally I would like some type of deadbeat sharing program so that 100% honest collectors or small dealers could locate the deadbeats within driving distance and knock on their doors and see what in the Sam Hill is going on. I heard about how it was handled in the good ole days, I'm not suggesting that. But definitely use all legal remedies.

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your support and responses. I've made peace with my situation.

Thanks ChrisRx, for reaching out to me.

Thanks roadrunner, for all the different suggestions.

The seller is indeed, metalsaver1970. He's doing business as Ed's Coins out of Jackson, Ohio.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because he might be: hospitalized, incarcerated, out of the country, etc. But the fact is that I didn't receive the merchandise I paid for, and the seller is non-responsive. I've been very patient, but now I'm ready to contact law enforcement, IC3, and a collection agency.

To our hosts: will you set up some type of good guys/bad guys list or employ a feedback/ratings system like iTrader to protect honest folks?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@donzme said:
    Thanks everyone for your support and responses. I've made peace with my situation.

Thanks ChrisRx, for reaching out to me.

Thanks roadrunner, for all the different suggestions.

The seller is indeed, metalsaver1970. He's doing business as Ed's Coins out of Jackson, Ohio.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because he might be: hospitalized, incarcerated, out of the country, etc. But the fact is that I didn't receive the merchandise I paid for, and the seller is non-responsive. I've been very patient, but now I'm ready to contact law enforcement, IC3, and a collection agency.

To our hosts: will you set up some type of good guys/bad guys list or employ a feedback/ratings system like iTrader to protect honest folks?

References
    Heed red flags

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2017 4:31PM

On a related note - is it acceptable to ask on the BST for people to vouch for another?
    . - same Q for the coin forums?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    On a related note - is it acceptable to ask on the BST for people to vouch for another?

i've asked for references and others have asked about me. fwiw.

vouching is a staple to entrepreneurship. imo.

not sure i'd do it publicly right out of the gate unless i sensed a problem or there became a problem that was not fixable by direct communication.

unless i've missed why you were asking. i'm a bit taken aback you'd ask if it is acceptable to ask?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ask for references and have been asked before. Happy to provide and understand the "never done business with this guy" syndrome.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I was also scammed by metalsaver1970 "Ed Johnson". I paid through Google Wallet, which was set up with the same email as his PayPal account.
    He sent me two tracking #'s, one from UPS and then a USPS a few days later, after he had his tragic foot accident.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options

There are usually a string of problems that plague the scammers used as excuses for why they can't fulfill their part of the contracts. My scammer with a bounced check made various excuses and insisted that in many years my case was his only failure. He said he had a concussion, then it was the IRS that had hit him and his wife hard, and he claimed to be a disabled veteran and good Christian. He said if I would just wait for him to pay, call off the police, he would have the funds in a few weeks. After endless broken promises and bounced checks my local police were able to issue a warrant for his arrest though he lives in WA state and it wasn't more than a few hundred dollars. Legal force is the only thing these people understand.

• Options

I just received an email from Ed, and he assures me I will have a refund in hand within a week.
    I will update next weekend.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options

Because I'm talking about asking out in the open with a new topic/thread.

PM is never an issue.

• Options

@Natchez14 said:
    I just received an email from Ed, and he assures me I will have a refund in hand within a week.
    I will update next weekend.

This is not the first metalsaver1970 thread and there is a reason for that

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have Ed's address? Perhaps someone here paid with a check?

References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

IC3 is a data collecting agency.
    The Federal Government won't investigate until there are multiple victim reports totaling at least $25,000.

Since the seller didn't direct you to mail the money, there is no mail fraud and the postal inspectors won't investigate.
    It is wire fraud, and the FBI will investigate once the IC3 threshold has been reached.

There is plenty of fraud going on out there which keeps them busy.

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

The seller finally contacted me by email. I asked for a refund, via pre-paid, certified bank check or postal money order. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

• Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

PCGS should do everyone here a favor and only allow Paypal sale items. Being scammed once is way to much.

• Options

I'd follow through with filing a complaint with your police on the fraud. It never hurts to make a record of a scam. I wouldn't listen to empty promises to compensate you for money that has been scammed out of you.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a way to leave feedback for others after a transaction. On the coins and silverbugs section of Reddit, we have places specifically to leave feedback for people who buy and sell precious metals and coins. That helps with scammers and seeing how many transactions a person has successfully done and when the last time they had a transaction.

We should try to figure out a way to do that.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 10:21PM

It's good to out problem BST sellers at the first whiff of a problem. It halts further scams or at least puts them on hold until the smoke can clear. OP's seller is definitely a problem seller.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Keep in mind that "references" is not the same as "vouching for." References apply only to the specific experience another party had on a specific transaction.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

If you do a quick search on Google, there are threads on Reddit and BullionSaver as well regarding MetalSaver1970 and the non-exisistant coins.

• Options

I don't buy the "trust your gut" line, though I have heard it a lot. Trust your judgment, logic, with reasonable safeguards that paypal allows. I would always think of what's the end game if you trust someone who doesn't deliver? Our word is about all we have in business, once trust is lost I don't have a lot of understanding for unverifiable excuses.

• Options
    bigzesteebigzestee Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

A good feedback system would help a lot.Situations like this makes it hard for new members to gain trust around here.Forcing paypal wouldn't fix the scammer problem and would harm some sellers here.I've seen a lot of sellers that don't accept it.They do put restrictions on new accounts where they do hold certain amounts.I sold an item somewhere else and was allowed to only have the first $100.Putting new members on a send first for x amount of time might help and should weed out scammers.Looking at Google it appears what's there was posted by a member here.Does anyone know if he's a member anywhere else? It's odd there's nothing more on the guy unless he's new.Anyone know anything about this supposed injury? To the OP and the others sorry it happened to you all.Hopefully you are able to get back what was taken.

BST references several

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file