Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hotel Room Burglary at FUN Show

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craZ4coins said:

@ms70 said:
    It would be cool if upon receiving verification of them being stolen, PCGS could have those cert numbers show up as reported stolen on the cert verification page.

@DoubleJCoins said:
    @ms70 I agree. I feel like that would help prevent them from being sold again on any big market place or auction without being caught.

Fine and dandy but you both ignore the obvious possibility (perhaps likelihood) that the thief will crack 'em out, modify a bit (doctoring for purposes of changing, not improving, appearance) and then sell raw or have re-slabbed (in a series of submissions by different persons).

Jeez, I must have a criminal mind.

And you ignore the obvious possibility that might not necessarily happen.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Inside job.

Inside job to me implies that the owner of the stolen goods was himself/herself complicit in their disappearance. Is this what you mean? Or were you implying hotel/motel staff were involved?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@BryceM said:
    Just FYI, most in-room "safes" can be defeated in 30 seconds or less (YouTube it). Hotel staff often have the override codes and the rest can easily be pried open. Don't trust them. Your best defense is complete anonymity, keeping your valuables on-person, situational awareness, and a mild case of paranoia.

Most motels/hotels have a safe in the registration area too, no?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Outhaul said:
    Inside job.

Inside job to me implies that the owner of the stolen goods was himself/herself complicit in their disappearance. Is this what you mean? Or were you implying hotel/motel staff were involved?

Hotel staff.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2017 4:18PM

@ricko said:
    This is different... and a good reason to use hotels with 'in room' safes....I hope the thieves are caught... I would like to know more details though...the security professional in me always wants details...Cheers, RickO

True but the standard in room hotel safe takes less than 5 minutes to break open for those who know what they are doing, so if someone is targeted these won't help.

Examples of unsafe safe security:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LnLz1hJcbI0

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d7Uj6gPJX18

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sg-Ib5Echns

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke ....You are correct - 'for those who know what they are doing'...Professionals certainly can handle those safes... so can I .... They are good against amateurs though. Without details, I am unable to determine if this was a pro job or opportunistic hired help. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

Damned shame. I can imagine the pit in the collector's stomach when he realized he'd been robbed. No doubt we all hope that the coins are recovered and returned intact and that karma deals a major payback in addition to the criminal justice system.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thieves must know something about collector coins. The serial numbers are toxic with the majority of B&M coin dealers. The only way for the perps to sell the coins is to crack them out and pray the dealer is not suspicious. Would not the perp seller need to sound a bit knowledgeable to get the best price? This is such a sad situation for the victim.

Thoughts anyone?

• Options

@Goldbully said: only can view their prixe privately in a loset.> The thieves must know something about collector coins. The serial numbers are toxic with the majority of B&M coin dealers. The only way for the perps to sell the coins is to crack them out and pray the dealer is not suspicious. Would not the perp seller need to sound a bit knowledgeable to get the best price? This is such a sad situation for the victim.

Thoughts anyone?

It is a sad situation for the victim. At least he or she isn't being bombarded with accusations of being a dumbass like Julian after he was victimized.

Most likely an uninsured loss. Maybe the hotel surveillance tapes will provide some hope of apprehension and return of the stolen goods. Otherwise, they will probably be unloaded one way or another.

Stitching subjects, I understand EagleEye's proof '64L was never recovered. I wonder if it is intact, in some perverse collector's hands who can only view it himself or herself in private. I've heard that some Old Masters' stolen art is in the hands of closet collectors, who can only view their treasures privately in a closet.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just being a city person, I learned a long time ago that if I have any values with me, I keep a low profile. Before I leave a coin show, anything indicating I was there is either discarded or put into a nondescript small carrying bag. The few coins I may carry remain on me at all times.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:
    aren't there some very small GPS devices that you could secretly slip in with your coins or luggage then track via your cell phone? I think you can even set up a geo fence alarm if the item moves. If I was a dealer or collector walking around at a show with a bunch of coins, I would invest in one of those.

I use this tracker on many things

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got home from our local coin club and one of the members had their home broken into and a portion of their collection stolen. When they filed a claim with their insurance, they sadly found out that the home policy has special limits on money and coins at $200. We then had a discussion regarding how to insure your collection and if it economically worth it. Many of the dealers at the meeting do not have insurance and said they were told they had to keep track of their inventory in such detail that it was nearly impossible and that it was too expensive. I was amazed that they were self insuring. I mentioned Hughwood which I knew from the ANA membership. Does anyone know approximately how much it costs and what it covers? I would love to give a brief explanation at our next meeting.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing for you or any of these dealers to do is to simply call Hugh Wood, Inc to find out the details for their particular requirements.

However, I use Hugh Wood, Inc and have done so for years. My insurance coverage is higher than the value of my home (though I keep no coins whatsoever at home at any time), covers shipping and transit as well as shows and costs a few hundred dollars per year. Skipping insurance is being penny-wise and pound-foolish in my opinion.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The best thing for you or any of these dealers to do is to simply call Hugh Wood, Inc to find out the details for their particular requirements.

However, I use Hugh Wood, Inc and have done so for years. My insurance coverage is higher than the value of my home (though I keep no coins whatsoever at home at any time), covers shipping and transit as well as shows and costs a few hundred dollars per year. Skipping insurance is being penny-wise and pound-foolish in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I went uninsured for many years. I have now been insured with Willis Towers Watson for several years (they were at the FUN show) and recently upgraded from a collector's policy to a dealer's policy. They are quite competent and competitively priced. Hugh Wood is also always highly recommended. Of course, the best test of the quality of an insurance company is how they deal with actual claims, and I have been lucky enough never to have had one. Best to check out several and then choose. Also, the easiest way to learn about coin insurance is to get an application and to go through it with an agent. Then you will know how it works. Any agent would be happy to assist, especially if they think it will result in selling policies.

Tom

• Options
    edited January 13, 2017 8:34AM

@hchcoin said:
    I mentioned Hughwood which I knew from the ANA membership. Does anyone know approximately how much it costs and what it covers? I would love to give a brief explanation at our next meeting.

My collection just recently reached the point where I felt I should insure it, not to mention the house next door got broken into a month ago. Without going into particulars, I will say the insurance through Hugh Wood is extremely fair for simple collectors like me. They do however have different levels of insurance that cover just storage at home, traveling to/from safe deposit box, etc, etc....

For the cost vs. coverage it is absolutely worth it. I called and the receptionist e-mailed me the paperwork that took about 5 minutes to complete which I faxed back. The entire application process was finished in a total of about 15 minutes from the initial phone call to faxing it back. Five days later I got the quote in the mail and sent in my check. It was even better than Geico. B)

Linky:

https://hughwood.com/sub_menu.php?submenuId=180

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

The information posted here has me feeling some type of ??????
    I stayed at that location durning the fun show.
    The location is out of the way so I have questions about how this happened?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad. The thief or fence will likely take $400 for the lot from some shifty dealer in a neighboring B&M.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2017 6:51AM

@hchcoin said:
    I just got home from our local coin club and one of the members had their home broken into and a portion of their collection stolen. When they filed a claim with their insurance, they sadly found out that the home policy has special limits on money and coins at $200. We then had a discussion regarding how to insure your collection and if it economically worth it. Many of the dealers at the meeting do not have insurance and said they were told they had to keep track of their inventory in such detail that it was nearly impossible and that it was too expensive. I was amazed that they were self insuring. I mentioned Hughwood which I knew from the ANA membership. Does anyone know approximately how much it costs and what it covers? I would love to give a brief explanation at our next meeting.

Home owners polices treat money, as well, money. A nickel is worth 5c regardless if it is a 2016 or an 1883.

Hugh Wood Insurance has 3 types of policies. You must be an ANA member to buy any ($20 a year)
    You'll need to contact them for rates, but IIRC they are:

1. Stored in Bank Safe Deposit Box $0.35 per $100
    2. Stored at Home or Safe Deposit Box $.055 per $100
    3. Stored either at home or Bank SDB - plus in transit $0.75 per $100

I have #2 so I know those rates are correct.
    The only documentation you need to provide are coins worth $10,000 or more.

Otherwise you just insure the total amount of your collection. Dealer prices may vary.

• Options

@derryb said:

@dbtunr said:
    aren't there some very small GPS devices that you could secretly slip in with your coins or luggage then track via your cell phone? I think you can even set up a geo fence alarm if the item moves. If I was a dealer or collector walking around at a show with a bunch of coins, I would invest in one of those.

I do not know how small or easy it is to activate a tracker, but I would think that one could be slipped into a large coin bag at a show, now the thief can track you and your coins? That would be scary to think about.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2017 7:06AM

Small trackers for purse, pocket, key chain etc. are easily available... larger ones for vehicles as well. Unfortunately, there are so many with the 'it won't happen to me' attitude, that the easy pickings will continue. Personal awareness, personal security, and effective security measures are mandatory for those who deal in or carry valuables/cash. Be responsible people... it is much cheaper to be prepared.
    http://www.spytecinc.com/gps-satellite-tracking.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GPS Trackers&utm_term=gps trackers&utm_content=GPS Tracker
    Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'd start with the hotel staff.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hotel is out of the way and the most likely reason they stayed there is the price of the hotel rooms is a lot cheaper than the ones next to the coin show.

I know someone very well who is very tight with the dollar and when he went to the LA coin show, he wasn't going to pay the exorbitant hotel prices beside the coin convention so he stayed about 30 miles away which so happened to be right smack dab in the middle of the place where they had the race riots awhile ago. Needless to say, he didn't sleep very well and after the show, he said he would never do that again.

We all know some (most) coin collectors are very tight with the dollar.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@derryb said:

How would you prove/show that they tipped off some friends?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    The hotel is out of the way and the most likely reason they stayed there is the price of the hotel rooms is a lot cheaper than the ones next to the coin show.

I know someone very well who is very tight with the dollar and when he went to the LA coin show, he wasn't going to pay the exorbitant hotel prices beside the coin convention so he stayed about 30 miles away which so happened to be right smack dab in the middle of the place where they had the race riots awhile ago. Needless to say, he didn't sleep very well and after the show, he said he would never do that again.

We all know some (most) coin collectors are very tight with the dollar.

Tighter than a duck's arse and that's watertight.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Any news?

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

I'd be looking at the staff, not at their friends. Were the rooms accessed with a key or were they broken into?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

I'd be looking at the staff, not at their friends. Were the rooms accessed with a key or were they broken into?

I'd be guessing staff as well...or maybe a combo (ie...get in, get the stuff, hand it off....never left your shift that way, just in case.

Hotel staff can be 100% legit and honest and they can also be crooked.
    We stayed at Excalibur about 10 years ago, in Las Vegas. We got our room, put our stuff in there, and went out. I didn't know it at the time but the wife switched to a small "going out with only driver's license" holder, and put her wallet/purse in a drawer.

We came back, had been "upgraded" as I had stopped at the desk on the way out and mentioned some issues with the room and was told it was changed when we got back.

Went to move our stuff and her wallet was missing. A few hundred $$$, credit cards, etc.

Excalibur had their own security look into it, LVPD said they couldn't do anything if Excalibur didn't request (private residence), and they didn't look into the cameras or anything. Said that the only cards that accessed the rooms were ours and the cleaning person....who they "checked out" and was clean.

Yeah....it got up and walked.

Never have stayed there again, even with the continued "deals" I get in email from them, and I have stopped friends/family from staying there as well. Only damage was getting new cards, some stress, and the couple hundred $$$, but they could have done more. I hold it against them to this day.

In this case, if I were to bet on it, someone on the hotel staff new said person was there for the coin show...and that there was $$$$ in it. Knew when the person went to dinner and about how long it would be. Got/had master key and got in, got the coins, and I would still guess they handed them off to someone else and stayed on their shift.

Would need to view camera footage of the hallway (and room if it had it), to see.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Ron, I believe your scenario to be accurate.... without actual facts, this is the logical analysis. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

The perps are on camera, so be it'd likely be easy to ID them if they were staff. Is there a record of access if a keycard is used? Insiders are more likely to notify friends in order to take themselves out of the picture so to speak.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@dbtunr said:

>
    These are interesting. I'm thinking of getting a few. A relatively inexpensive way to help prevent theft, and every bit counts.

Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read reviews first, CuKevin. It's a bluetooth device that needs to be paired to your phone. Don't expect it to work from farther than 10 meters.

There's GPS crowdsourcing tracking for distance but now you're relying on other TrackR owners being within range. Not likely.

Overwhelmingly, the product is poorly reviewed. The chief complaint is that it fails often, can't be heard even when it's in your pocket and that quality is very spotty.
    Lance.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

The hotel doesn't have cameras? Most do and it should be easy to find out who did this

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2017 3:13PM

@TopographicOceans said:

Home owners polices treat money, as well, money. A nickel is worth 5c regardless if it is a 2016 or an 1883.

Hugh Wood Insurance has 3 types of policies. You must be an ANA member to buy any ($20 a year)
    You'll need to contact them for rates, but IIRC they are:

1. Stored in Bank Safe Deposit Box $0.35 per $100
    2. Stored at Home or Safe Deposit Box $.055 per $100
    3. Stored either at home or Bank SDB - plus in transit $0.75 per $100

I have #2 so I know those rates are correct.
    The only documentation you need to provide are coins worth $10,000 or more.

Otherwise you just insure the total amount of your collection. Dealer prices may vary.

I have #2 also and my rate is different but I'm guessing they vary the rates based on where you live, if you have an alarm, etc... Either way, for collectors Hugh Wood's very reasonable policies are the way to go.

• Options

@mkman123 said:
    The hotel doesn't have cameras? Most do and it should be easy to find out who did this

Mike, I agree "most do"...but I have also seen where some of the lower budget ones "have problems". Not sure in this case, but after my Vegas experience with Excalibur, I am super skeptical and also suspicious in cases like these, these days.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

@mkman123 said:

Mike, I agree "most do"...but I have also seen where some of the lower budget ones "have problems". Not sure in this case, but after my Vegas experience with Excalibur, I am super skeptical and also suspicious in cases like these, these days.

Ever watch Hotel Impossible :confused:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good advice here. Sad to say, but collectors need to be just as aware of good security as dealers.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Video cameras that bense motion (like the Canary) are inexpensive and work great. When in a hotel room it just needs to be connected to the internet and cell phone. If anyone comes in the room you're instantly notified by your cell phone, the event is recorded (to the web) and turn on an alarm from your cell phone. If I was leaving significant valuables in a hotel room that's what I would use.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

There are so many security measures available (the web is available to most dealers and collectors)... study what is available to suit your needs and acquire/employ those measures. Common sense. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a wireless camera hooked up at home that connects to our WiFi. Anytime the dogs walk by (or someone presumably comes through a window or door) it alerts my phone and I can watch it. It has a setting to take pictures as well. Only $40. It would be pretty easy to take it with me and setup in a hotel room if I went to a show.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    List of Stolen Coins - Cent Pattern and Half Dollars

Coin #DenominationYearVarietyCatalogerGrading ServiceGradeCertificate (cert) NumberPicturePedigree
     1 1 Cent1864J-355JuddNGCMS65185472-005Y 
     250 Cents1795O-103aOvertonNGCVF303809196-015YHilt Collection
     350 Cents1808O-110OvertonPCGSXF4533543154YLink
     450 Cents1809O-110 XXX EdgeOvertonPCGSXF4033543155N 
     550 Cents1809O-111OvertonPCGSAU5533543156N 
     650 Cents1812O-104aOvertonPCGSAU5881469525N 
     750 Cents1814O-103OvertonPCGSAU58?N 
     850 Cents1817O-108aOvertonPCGSVF3533543158N 
     950 Cents1818O-113OvertonPCGSAU5533543159N 
    1050 Cents1812O-105OvertonPCGS SecureAU5829293087YFrederick-Link
    1150 Cents1822O-113OvertonPCGSAU53?N 
    1250 Cents1823O-110OvertonNGC CACAU583809010-016Y 
    1350 Cents1824O-117OvertonPCGSAU5533543160N 
    1450 Cents1827O-132 Square Base 2OvertonPCGSAU5881612459N 
    1550 Cents1827O-144 Square Base 2OvertonPCGSAU5382237716Y 
    1650 Cents1829/7O-102OvertonPCGSAU5882139155N 
    1750 Cents1829O-105OvertonPCGS CACAU58 N 
    1850 Cents1830O-112 Small 0OvertonPCGS SecureAU5581318215YLink
    1950 Cents1836O-121 Bar Dot Lettered EdgeOvertonPCGSVF2031445403Y 
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Anymore news on this sad situation?

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Canary looks pretty cool

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

I had my car broken into once, and while it is no excuse for a crime, I realize my careless action made it more likely. After parking my car at Ostia beach (near Rome), I opened the trunk to get sunscreen. I presume the thief was observing and saw there was luggage. While I walked the beach, he/she broke a window, popped the trunk and left with my suitcase and briefcase.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very common occurrence at tourist beaches. I was warned about that in Hawaii.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 8:49PM

In certain areas of Hawaii, I was warned to just leave the rental car unlocked.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    That's a very common occurrence at tourist beaches. I was warned about that in Hawaii.

I used to live in Waikiki. I stayed at hotels there for a year and Lahaina for a month. It is a common occurrence evepecially at the higher end hotels with lax parking lot security

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Man...I've been to Hawaii many times (mainly Honolulu...Waikiki and Mililani areas, as well as Maui), and never had that warning, nor ever had any issues. That's in the hotel parking garages nor at any of the beaches we would drive to and leave the car at while walking 10+ minutes to the beach....

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be insurance fraud.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may have also been warned not to park on the south side of Chicago......

Every place in the world has their issues.

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file