Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had known better at the time I would have cracked them out before submitting. Sometimes ignorance is bliss....

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2016 10:43PM

I have a friend who keeps telling me ..." if you believe in your coin - crack it out and resubmit...."
    he also feels the same way with crossing - never submit in the other TPG holder - crack it out and
    your coin will be justly treated by the other TPG.

Chatting with a dealer in California this afternoon - he was telling me about a situation that
    there were three groups of coins that were submitted at least three times to achieve the grades he
    wanted. Each time, the coins were submitted raw. I'd be on the edge of my seat each time. He related
    a story how a group of MS 64's were cracked out - resubmitted - and came back in a mix of 64's, 65+'s and
    66's... Resubmitted the nicer ones and some returned at a 66+ and 67 levels. Seriously ...64's to 67's.... :o
    My luck...I'd be staring at bunch of 63's...

Another group of three proof dimes: 1915

photo 1915 10c pr  copy_zpsmfhpdeuj.jpg

photo 1915 10c pr 2 copy_zpslczqwelj.jpg

photo 1915 10c pr 3 copy_zpskrya7fgx.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a similar situation right now. A Heritage Auction '42-P Walker in NGC 64 older holder that is an obvious 65 lock minimum but would have an excellent shot at 66. Problem is it is a common date. I purchased years ago for my now-completed short set.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to wish everyone a (early), safe, prosperous, healthy and happy new year. I'll start mine off with two Philly's, 110 years old and 120 years old.

Craig

• Options

Both beautiful Quarters, Craig. I really like the 1907 however. Nice pick ups...look 65/66's....

Shameless Plug:
    FYI : Half Collectors - I just put up my BST for the FUN Auctions.
    Two coins are being sold on Wednesday night [ start at 6:00 PM ]
    the 1896-O PCGS 40 [ lot 4444 ] and the 1904-S PCGS 40 [ lot 4454 ]

The "back of the book stuff - will be auctioned on Sunday - Jan 8th
    at 12:00 PM Central - { 1:00 PM Eastern }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell - I'm sure our hosts love it when someone "feeds the machine".

Jeff - I think you are picking the right NGC coins.

Tim - Yes, my raw 06-O has a case of the mumps. Like both your extra 06-O's.

Picks for this AM, an 06-O Paesan crossed from NGC a few years back, PC63:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Love the quality of those Barbers (like this '06-O) Lenny! and Vern, nice images. It really brings out the color and surface texture very well Vern. For lighting, two lamps on each side of the camera lens or just one directly above (and at a slight angle because the camera is straight on) to get that lighting effect like with that '06-O quarter?

• Options

@MFH said:
    I have a friend who keeps telling me ..." if you believe in your coin - crack it out and resubmit...."
    he also feels the same way with crossing - never submit in the other TPG holder - crack it out and
    your coin will be justly treated by the other TPG.

Chatting with a dealer in California this afternoon - he was telling me about a situation that
    there were three groups of coins that were submitted at least three times to achieve the grades he
    wanted. Each time, the coins were submitted raw. I'd be on the edge of my seat each time. He related
    a story how a group of MS 64's were cracked out - resubmitted - and came back in a mix of 64's, 65+'s and
    66's... Resubmitted the nicer ones and some returned at a 66+ and 67 levels. Seriously ...64's to 67's.... :o
    My luck...I'd be staring at bunch of 63's...

Mike, Does it also matter WHO sends in the coin? dealer or frequent submitter vs. first timer... supposedly 'no' because graders don't have submitter names connected to coin flips... but you always wonder even though brochures and video on the process outlines how it is 'supposed' to be done. A +1 grade for one person might not be for the next. My thoughts are I would err on the side of integrity that our hosts have in the system but you wonder... is it always a perfect system? has there ever been bias? is it better to have someone else submit to be able to get onto the gravy train.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2016 8:00AM

Tim... I think you answered your own questions. It makes no difference whatsoever who submits coins .

The graders are given a box of coins. Only 20 coins are in a box, the boxes are given out in random ( I believe ) and I know more than one grader looks at the coins - each grader decides for him(her)self what the grade of the coin should be. If there is a disagreement on a grade, the Finalizer regrades the coin and he can void both previous grades from the initial grader. { ie: # 1 says it's a XF 45; # 2 says it's a 50; The Finalizer says it's a 53. Then it's a 53. }

Vern... Tell me your thoughts on the 1896-S Quarter in PCGS AU 53, being auctioned next week in Ft Lauderdale with Heritage.

Granted, it's not nearly as lustrous as my first 96-S in 53, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Here are a couple more of my newly imaged Dimes....
    Pls forgive me if I post any dues... Its late...I'm bushed.

photo 1909 10c copy_zpsmuo01p1f.jpg

photo 1912 10c copy_zpsloiajaji.jpg

photo 1911 d 10c 2 copy_zpsqykwotde.jpg

I guess I should get this into PC plastic...

photo 1916 s oc 10c copy_zpsjrmm756l.jpg

Always liked this date - fairly common - high survival rate - high mintage -
    but the following year - its a Bear of a Date to get ....
    photo 1902 s 10c copy_zpstdpf5iin.jpg

photo 1900 10c 58 copy_zpsey2b7lyf.jpg

From the TCP-III collection - still one of my favorites...I don't care if this Blue is the wrong shade of Blue....Too Bad...LOL

photo 1904 s 10c copy_zpsz10xbn7b.jpg

photo 1908 10c copy_zpsfuspveux.jpg

photo 1896 10C_zpsebbh3brl.jpg

Well...looks like I need a nicer 98-S...problem is I have a great looking one in my Nephew's set in Massachusetts...
    Maybe I'll do some horse trading.... :p

photo 1898 s 10c copy_zpsvrczhhxi.jpg

Here is a swap I made a few years ago with JMW - his Eliasberg 07-S for my TCP-III 07-S - also a 58...

photo 1907 s 10c copy_zpsdeppkqoa.jpg

Wonderful toning - a duplicate:

photo 1902 o 10c copy_zpsgg1wgllk.jpg

Another scheduled for an upgrade...
    photo 1899 o 10c copy_zps8kyyadfc.jpg

Ok,,, that's all for tonight.... more later, over the weekend....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tim - I have my camera (a Nikon Coolpix 4500) directly overhead on a desktop tripod, with one 60W bulb in a gooseneck lamp lighting the pics on that 06-O (and all my pics for that matter). The light is at the same height as the camera lens and at about 11 o'clock.

Mike & Tim - None of us outsiders will ever know the intracacies of our hosts grading system. I suspect that only one grader looks at inexpensive coins.

Mike - I viewed that 96-S quarter in 53, in hand at Baltimore last month at an east coast dealer's table. It has no luster but plenty of detail for a 53. Perhaps it was net graded at 53. Nice group of dimes BTW.

Pics for this AM, my favorite dime date, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike...you really have some nice dimes!

Verne,,,really like that 96-O, it is definitely an underrated date!

Well...the 58 96-O half is back and it didn't +. If it is the coin I think it is I am surprised. Look it up on heritage...is a stunner in the pics if that is it. I believe it sold in 2007 and might be the only 58 heritage has sold...too lazy to go look again. :smiley:

• Options
    edited December 31, 2016 4:44PM

Since this thread has slipped down so far I'll post a raw dime that I just sent in to PCGS- a 1902 O:

• Options

Happy New Year buddies. Jeff, nice quality exhibited on that '02-O obverse... is that a toning area on the N, I, and M area?

• Options

I added dates on the BST for my auctions this month - some at FUN - the rest are on Internet Only Bi-Weekly
    auctions spread over the month of January.

I've been waiting for images - but - I'm trying to make due with what I have. A lot of the images still need to be
    posted by Heritage...so, I can copy and post them to the BST Thread !

Ok...enough sales pitch...sorry...

Here are a few more Dimes....

if I duplicate anything - sorry - Here's one of my all time favorites ....
    photo 1904 s 10c copy_zpsz10xbn7b.jpg

photo 1902 o 10c copy_zpsgg1wgllk.jpg

photo 1914 s 10c copy_zpsxrtknwxt.jpg

photo 1897s 10c copy_zpsfbezsxwi.jpg

photo 1912 d 10c copy_zpspt9h6pzw.jpg

photo 1906 10c copy_zpsqmburokp.jpg

I think that is enough for tonight...Happy New Year everyone !!

1904 Dime PCGS PR 64 CAC OBV photo 1904DimePCGSPR64CACOBV_zpse892946a.jpg
    1904 Dime PCGS PR 64 REV CAC photo 1904DimePCGSPR64CACREV_zpse5629eee.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Darrell - The 96-O half.......luck of the draw.

Jeff - Nice 02-O.

Mike - That proof at the end is enough to make me want to take up collecting proofs.

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, now in mine, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Good morning and Happy New year Everyone.

Mike- thanks for posting all those dimes. That 04-S is seeexxxyyy!!! That's the best word to describe it. Wow I love that toning.

Vern- I agree about the proof. Very wholesome 09-D quarter as well. There are plenty of them for sale but very very few have that look as yours does. Actually it's is probably better looking than even the 58s on eBay.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2017 9:09AM

Happy New Year to all!!

Mike- a bunch of great looking dimes. You certainly have the patience to wait for the nice ones to come along.

The '02 O Dime I posted does have odd toning on the reverse; it reminds me of a doughnut. Hopefully our hosts don't find it too odd.

• Options

Here's another raw find on it's way to our hosts, a 1911 Quarter:

This coin has a slight rub; I'm hoping it will 58.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2017 9:13PM

First time showing off this great looking Half Dollar....{ Thank you, Valente151}

photo 1898 s 50c copy_zpsbtxez383.jpg

One of the few Halves I am keeping - which will be the base of the new set.

This 98-S came out of Don Willis' set - via JJ Teaparty.
    It didn't CAC - but - I really don't care - its just an opinion !

Another one I am keeping for the new set :smile:

photo 1900 50c copy_zpsjiy2ltxf.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2017 4:39AM

This is at the top of my biggest 'pet peaves'... something that looks nice digitally but when you see it in hand it is definitely cleaned (Uggghhh). Take the 1908-P quarter in the attached picture - a cleaned coin. Mid-range circulated 1908 Philadelphia Barber Quarters are a little tougher than many of the other P dates, with the exception of the 1913-P:

• T

• Options
    edited January 1, 2017 10:48PM

Mike, it never seems you ever go wrong finding then purchasing cool halo-colored Barbers. Nice couple of halves there!

Jeff, really like that '11-P! Very cool.

• T

• Options
    edited January 2, 2017 5:24AM

That 08 quarter looks cleaned to me in the picture.

Mike,off to the races you go! Hope you can match a set with that look!

Jeff...looks like you will get what you want on that 11 quarter.(HNY BTW!)

Verne-Nice as always!

• Options

I purchase a lot of raw XF/ AU Barbers at eBay. Most of the listing photos show signs of cleaning, and some sellers state such. Obviously I skip over all those and only purchase ones that look very promising with nice looking listing photos. But about 75% of those that arrive are still cleaned and returned. Spending $2.60 return postage on 3 coins to find one nice one is worth it to me. But I recently learned the hard way about purchasing raw coins from foreign countries. In last couple of months I purchased 3 very promising coins from England, Hong Kong, and Latvia. All arrived and were clearly cleaned. The postage to return them was around $40 each; I've learned my lesson there.

I wonder how many years to go before the only raw XF/ AU Barbers left are cleaned?

• Options

Darrell, I snapped the '08-P pic to put up on the thread to show my distaste of these situations - I am still educating myself on the process of taking pictures. The previous owner's picture (to me) seemed even less conspicuous. This Phillie is quite glossy - I would say almost to an extreme point of being 'really cleaned' with the surfaces being reflective from over-wiping
    /dipping across the entire coin ... but I don't get that from the picture so I need to study more on how to become more accomplished at doing that or recognizing cleaning from pictures. The lighter toning breaks are actually ok IMO.

Jeff, I am doing the same thing you are with VF heading into low-end XF. The hunt -n- search continues. One '12-P in VF I have came from a site called 'bidstart' dotcom as an example. It is getting tougher out there to snap up good raw pieces like Jeff contends. The situation is sometimes that better, non-details pieces are coming from those 'selling their dad's collection' sort of thing or if the previous owners were not collectors like their dad and don't know much about 3rd party grading, therefore raw. There is a risk in each situation, yes. I wish there was more honesty in advertising and those listing - it does become tiring. Some selling don't know the difference. A majority do. To participate with our hosts, you have to have a priced entry fee to join warding off potential participants due to that approach. Also, at the lower-end like F or VF, costs might or would remove any potential profit from a sale.

• Options

Mike - Nice anchors for your new half set.

Jeff & Tim - You have more patience than I ever had to go thru the search and return process with raw coins on ebay. More power to you.

Pics for this AM, from Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

What process would any of you employ if you find an unattributed D over D mint mark on an old green holder PCGS coin.... and an overdate that is recognized by our hosts? I like OGH... I wish there was a service to recognize varieties not caught from the older days to help me leave the coin in the old holder.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

Mike, off to the races you go! Hope you can match a set with that look!

Thanks, Darrell. My main objective will be a date set in AU 58 and I'd
    like them to be pre-CAC before I get them. But, it makes little difference
    if I like the appearance ( i.e.: the last two I posted above ).

There are a number of very attractive semi key dates that I had in my most
    recent complete set of Halves, that did not reach an AU 58 grade. Makes no
    difference to me (again) as I really appreciated the look and toning aspect
    of these coins ...or just the difficulty factor ( 1905-O in PC 45 CAC ).

I also kept out of the auctions, my 1893-S in PC 53 CAC. Too nice & way too
    difficult to find a nice coin of that date.

Well...this past year sure has been interesting. Tomorrow is my birthday - and
    the next day, Dimeman and JMW are paying me a visit to do some coining and
    on Thursday after the dogs are situated in the Vet's kennels - we're off to FUN !!

We're going to day trip it for a couple of days. I'll beg off the weekend as the
    kennel closes at Noon on Saturday and I don't want to pay an extra $110 for
    two extra nights.

Valente151 finished my Halves - and I'll post images to my BST Thread.
    Looks like my 1896-O in PCGS 40 which I bought from Arnie Heller five
    years ago might actually make me a couple of dollars. ( Read: "couple" )
    In a down turned market, I'd be thrilled to recoup all of my money, but
    seeing that I lost an average of 38.7% on the last few consignments, I'm
    not expecting a land office sale.

Ok, hope everyone is having a bright New Year. Be safe and stay healthy !

Not to worry...once off the iPad, I'll post more new images ! I think they came
    out very nicely.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Milo: PM sent

Here are a few Images of my newly imaged Halves....
    { some may have already been consigned to Heritage Auctions...
    ...please check my BST Thread ... I posted all the images I had on file}

From the Stash - now at HA weekly auctions

photo 1912 d 50c copy_zpsjrsf59j7.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I know our newest member, Mark Brown has been searching for a great Type coin ...
    here is a very reasonable example { its one of my favorites too , but I have an MS 63
    as well as an incredible AU 58}

Its scheduled for a weekly Internet Only auction. later on this month.
    No date has been given out, as yet. Good Luck, Mark.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    What process would any of you employ if you find an unattributed D over D mint mark on an old green holder PCGS coin.... and an overdate that is recognized by our hosts? I like OGH... I wish there was a service to recognize varieties not caught from the older days to help me leave the coin in the old holder.

I certainly agree with you on being able retain the OGH label AND gasket insert. I have never really cared for the "prong-type" gakets that PCGS uses as of late. There are so many varieties out there in OGH that I would not want to have them attribured and removed from these holders.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Best wishes and good luck to all who will be attending this year's FUN. Buy what you like. Like what you buy. Move the blues! B)

Craig

• Options

Nice to see your pride and joy again, Craig.
    Obviously, you liked what you bought !!

Full FUN report by next week.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@MFH said:
    I know our newest member, Mark Brown havs been searching for a great Type coin ...
    here is a very reasonable example { its one of my favorites too , but I have an MS 63
    as well as an incredible AU 58}

Its scheduled for a weekly Internet Only auction. later on this month.
    No date has been given out, as yet. Good Luck, Mark.

Mike you know I'm going all in for it. I wish I had a shot before you sent to heritage. One of my favorite dates and a beautiful and perfect as a type coin can get.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

1897-P quarter... what I have currently but I am looking to improve it. The surface quality can be better IMHO:

• T

• Options
    edited January 2, 2017 11:20PM

Another '92-S... with this one, the surfaces are unnatural and is in plan for an early 2017 auction (with accurate description by golly)...

Obvious this is nothing like Craig's killer '92-P... oh goodness! one of the best launch-year quarters I have ever seen. Wow.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2017 11:27PM

Here are two PC XF40 and VF35 quarters as part of the expanding collection. An '00-O and an '03-S:

• Options

Happy Birthday Mike!

• Options

Happy Birthday, Mike!

I'm off to FUN tomorrow night; I'll be there bright and early Thursday morning. thru Saturday afternoon. I hope to meet up with some of you!

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 8:17PM

More selections of Barber Quarters being pulled together for the set. A raw 1904-P in Fine, a 1904-O in PC20, and a 1907-D in PC15:

• T

• Options

Thanks, Tim and Jeff. Looking forward to seeing you guys at FUN.

I arrive around 12:00 Noon on Thursday and Friday at 10:00 AM. I plan
    on being at the BCCS meeting on Friday at 3:00 and the PCGS Luncheon
    at 11:30 AM.

Happy hunting everyone !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tim - Personally, I'd rather have the coin in the OGH unattributed, than attributed in a new holder.

Mike - Your '99 half in 55 is one very attractive spare. Mark, I hope you win it.

Craig - What a beauty.

Tim - Great look on your 00-O. And a very under-rated date IMO.

Mike - Happy belated birthday.

Pics for this AM, wonderful Paesan newp, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Have fun in FUN gentlemen!

@barberkeys said:
    Tim - Personally, I'd rather have the coin in the OGH unattributed, than attributed in a new holder.

I agree with you Vern - it is more desirable in the older green holder. The question is, if the coin were to be put up for auction, do you think it would be able to achieve a full value sale with not having the variety attribution on the 3rd party label?

Here is a lower end NGC VG08 1897-S with Centered Mintmark:

• T

• Options

That's a VG10 all day long!

@sedulous said:
    Have fun in FUN gentlemen!

@barberkeys said:

I agree with you Vern - it is more desirable in the older green holder. The question is, if the coin were to be put up for auction, do you think it would be able to achieve a full value sale with not having the variety attribution on the 3rd party label?

Here is a lower end NGC VG08 1897-S with Centered Mintmark:

• T
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:

So you think it will easily cross then. Good.

• Options

I would crack and submit raw!

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:

So you think it will easily cross then. Good.

• Options

Tim - I agree with Darrell, definitely crack and send in raw. Good looking coin BTW.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set (the 07-S was in PC35):

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern, on that 1900-O quarter PC40, I was studying it a little closer and I think I see a RPD. The lower left leg of the 1 and the last 0 shows some doubling I think!

• T

• Options

Tim - Looks that way to me also.

Pics for this AM, more from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2017 1:58PM

I was only able to spend two days at the FUN show. Very busy show, IMHO.
    Spent quality time with Paesan - and finally was able to meet "No Headlights Jim".
    Great putting a face behind all those posts. If Milo was there - I didn't see him.
    JeffRM and I shared lunch together at the PCGS luncheon - and that was great.

I had house guests for a few days - and we commuted from Naples to Ft Lauderdale.
    On occasion, I'd run into them ( Dimeman and JMW ... Or aka : Beancounter ) and we all had
    our own agenda.....Beancounter has converted to the very dark side ( Greek Ancients ) ....
    Dimeman was looking for bust dimes with curl 2's... I was searching for V nickels, which I
    ended up getting almost a dozen - mostly proofs - but picked up three upgrades for the
    MS collection.

Met a new source for Proof & MS V nickels, a Kriss Hammond of Jupiter Beach ( east coaster )
    and enjoyed myself at his tables for a good hour. Picked up an incredible 1889 in MS 66 and
    A 1904 in PR 65, and at his Bargain table in the economy section, I picked up a very colorful
    1909 in PR 64 ... Yum !!

Wandering around , I sat down and chatted with Andy of Angel Dee's, another well known
    dealer of Liberty Head "V" Nickels. I spotted a breathtaking 1905 in PR 66 CAC, and shortly
    after that, I saw our Gal Liz with Lenny - and she had an amazing 1905 in MS 65 CAC - which
    looks wonderful next to the Proof from Andy.

While browsing, I saw my old friend, Mike Printz of Harlan Berk - and he had a very colorful
    1909 Dime in PCGS 64 CAM - which made my mouth water....he accepted my offer - and although
    I have seen a lot of 1909 Dimes in Proof, none are (were) as nicely toned as this 64 and my biggest
    question was, why only a 64, when I graded it 65+. We'll see if it gets a nod higher from our hosts
    one of these days.

Strolling around and not realizing I was at the last row before the exhibits - I saw my old friend,
    Evan Gayle, who was introduced to me by a few friends, i.e.: Broadstruck and JMW. He was
    packing up on Saturday and was in a quandary about how he was getting to the Ft Lauderdale
    airport as all flights were cancelled because of the poor deranged US Soldier who slaughtered
    at least 5 people and wounded about a dozen more. While all this was transpiring, trying to
    decide his best plan of action with another dealer, I spotted another V Nickel - which came
    home with me, a 1900 in PCGS PR 67. ( which automatically became the highest graded Proof
    Nickel in my set ...I paid PR 66 for it, so I was very happy and the bluish steel grey screamed out
    to me..."take me home !! " flat out amazing coin.

After dozens of friends raving about another dealer I have used very often, I stopped by to
    check out Gary Adkins' table. He was very busy dealing with clients - but I managed to be able
    to have the entire Liberty Nickel section to myself ( yup, I was a kid in a candy store !) I spotted
    four superb Proof V nickels - three CAC'd: an 1884 in PC 65 ; 1887 in PR 66 ; 1888 in PR 66.
    The fourth Nickel wasn't CAC - but I believe the coin to be a very undergraded 1911 PR 66 CAM.
    It is enough to give you goose bumps. Seriously one beautiful coin with light Amber flashy toning.
    Rock solid strike , which I expect in a PR 66 CAM.

I also spent the better part of an hour chatting with Vic Bozarth. By the time I found him, he had
    already had Wells Fargo pick up his inventory. He's doing a land office wholesale business and
    rarely sells to the general public any longer. Based on what he told me, I don't blame him - out
    of 150 coins he had some one walk around the show to sell to dealers ( wholesale ) the helper
    only came back with 14 coins. Can't beat that result with a stick.

Now, I've told you of the nice additions and a few of the upgrades - but the icing on the cake
    was from Rich Uhrich's table. He and I had been going back and forth about a coin I have
    wanted for at least 45-50 years. When it's available, I don't like the coin or I can't afford it at
    that moment. Well, the stars aleigned on Thursday, January 5th. I finally have the 1st Exact Type
    of 1883 No Cents Nickel - but: dated .... 1882.... It's a PCGS PR 64------" J - 1690. "

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Although I could go on and on with another
    ten thousand words .... You get the jist of my experiences. All great !!

It seems the dealers I mentioned have been quick as Bunnies, they've deleted their images
    already from the web sites.

I was able to grab Evan Gayle's images.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file