Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:
    Sedulous, Color looks all wrong on the 94-S to me. Looks dipped and then dried without rinsing. Very blotchy.

Lenny,
    Thanks for the opinion...I just couldn't figure the blotchy toning out at all.
    I tend to shy away from unknown toning patterns. I was also very hesitant
    with the 07-O raw quarter I picked up in late October...now in a PCGS 63 holder.
    I was so unsure of the coin, that I express overnighted it - and express submission
    it - so I would get it back in time to return it to the eBay seller, just in case it did
    not certify. Expensive proposition, but I thought it was worth the trouble.

Mike

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2016 9:20AM

Good morning. Barber buddies. Headed to do some service calls. I received my 03-O in NgC 58 and 02-O in PC 53 last night and I'm super happy with both. The 02-O has some gun metal blueish grey beautiful toning that I'm going to try and get a good picture of.
    Was browsing Fb and saw that today is our fellow hoarder peasans Bday so Happy Birthday Lenny. Hope u have a great one

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • seduloussedulous Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Lenny! If I get a Barber coin in change today, I'll send it to you for a present!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for this late AM (annual poker game last night), newp into Milo's collection:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Interesting how posting pics direct (w/o Photobucket), sometimes results in random order. Am I missing the solution?

Vern
    l
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, Thanks. How'd you know?

More coins, less government.
    edited November 27, 2016 11:17AM

Vern.... Playing poker with Milo's Quarters as chips - now, that's High Stakes Poker !!

Milo....seriously, beautiful 12-S Quarter. Very, very nice !!

Paesan..... Happy Birthday !! Looking forward to be seeing you (et al ) at FUN.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Did Milo win that '12-S in a Poker game??!!! (wink) ... thanks for sharing Vern. That is really incredible luster and color. If only I had a collection that looked like that coin's properties. So nice!

• T

@paesan said:
    Tim, Thanks. How'd you know?

Marky Mark got it off of Facebook

Mike, I'm in Orlando now. I may have come a month too early to have a REAL vacay (wink again).

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2016 1:34PM

Another new raw find addition for my Barber Dime set, A PCGS VF 30 1901 O:

On the surface, special- but then there's this:

This is a fairly rare variety; I believe only 14 are in PCGS holders. I didn't know about the variety when purchased on eBay; the listing photos were a bit blurry. The seller didn't realize what they had either. It won't make me rich, but it's kind of cool.

I love them Barber Halves.....

Jeff, Did you buy it in-holder? Seems like the foreign material on the reverse could have been removed by the blunt end of a toothpick?

Congrats, Jeff...That's quite a Cherry Pick !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

@sedulous said:
    Mike, I'm in Orlando now. I may have come a month too early to have a REAL vacay (wink again).

Tim,
    You've come at the best time, weather wise !
    Have a great time - lots to do in Orlando !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

@sedulous said:
    Jeff, Did you buy it in-holder? Seems like the foreign material on the reverse could have been removed by the blunt end of a toothpick?

I purchased the coin raw. I rarely play with coins; I just like to keep them as they come. Grime adds character to a coin like this!

@MFH said:

@sedulous said:

Tim,
    You've come at the best time, weather wise !
    Have a great time - lots to do in Orlando !

Tim-

I'm predicting you'll find a nice coin in your mailbox when you return tomorrow.

Nope, going even further south for another week!

Jeff, I have been excited about the delivery!, so thank you! I keep studying the pics you sent. You really can take great pictures. I see you have been focused on improving your image-taking abilities - it shows! Thanks again.

• T

edited November 27, 2016 6:46PM

I agree - Jeff's images have vastly improved since he started posting on this thread !

I was checking a couple of snipe bids a while ago - and I threw in a bid I felt no one would
    ever come close to ...how wrong I was ! :'( ...My max bid won the auction - { of course, I liked the
    coin } - although its not an AU 58 - but an AU 50 - its got the toning I like - and its scheduled to go
    to CAC for their green bean of approval... Like I need that ?!

Regardless - this is a sweet little Dime - and it joins its big sisters - a PR 63 and a MS 64

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike I had a feeling I was bidding against you. Darn it. I didn't set a snipe but I'm glad you got it. It's amazing and I had high bid for a week. Congratulations it's a beautiful coin

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Vern, going back to the 1893-O dime, there seems to be light reflecting within the center of the mintmark area? repunched, blob of metal, or some sort of circulation mark? just wondering from yesterday's picture next to the '94-P.

• T

edited November 27, 2016 10:03PM

Jeff, That '01-O is really neat. It is kind of like, or feels like treasure hunting and finding something really cool from the effort of looking. Thanks for sharing your find. Reminds me of that Fruit Cellar find when my friends Dave and Lynn found all of those AU and Unc Walking Libs with a number of Barbers buried in the basement of their purchased home. As the story goes, the previous owner who lived through WWII died suddenly and was alone... so he obviously didn't reveal to relatives his stash. I listed every one of the Barbers found in a previous Journal around 4 to 5 years ago. QDB re-wrote about it in the Barber Redbook released about a year ago or so.

• T

Finding a bucket of raw Barbers in the basement would make a GREAT day. Of course finding a basement in Florida would make a great day onto itself!

The ones I speak of were buried in large kerr canning jars in the floor dirt to one side of the fruit cellar. Half Dollars, Quarter Dollars, one 1935-P Peace Dollar... all dated 1945 and before. I kept two of the uncirculated Walker halves: both 3rd party graded MS64 (1944-P common dates).

Mike - We used Morgan Dollars at the poker table, much more available, and easier to pick up. Congrats on the '95 dime BTW.

Jeff - Neat variety dime acquisition.

Tim - I'll take a good look at that 93-O dime when I have it back in hand (probably today). I can't recall anything unusual in the mint mark. What a great thrill it would be to find a jar full of old coins in an old basement. When I was young my brother and I were set to the task of digging out the ground under our old house. All we found was a stash of old whiskey bottles.

Pics for this AM, from Dan's dime collection, raw:

Vern
    l
  • Jeff - Your 95-S in PCGS 58 Secure - love it!!

Sedulous - I have a 94-S in 58, but I have been looking at the one that you mentioned on eBay as well. I can agree with your apprehension regarding pulling the trigger.

MFH and Vern - nice dimes guys.

"Vern and his poker game" - Regarding my 12-S in 58, thanks for the compliments and I thought for a moment I really was gambling with this coin. I saw it on eBay right when it came on-line, I looked at it, looked at it, looked at it, the price was right and I said to myself "What are you doing?!?! Get it!!" So I did, ... bing ... bang ... boom ... it was mine. Man, I was on cloud nine basking in glory. Then I thought, "I wonder where it's coming from" ... then I looked ... SWEDEN!! The pool of wine I was wading in suddenly turned to fish squeezin's and I went "ohhh nooooo." So, I contacted the dude as he had great feedback rating (I did look at that before I committed to buy), emailed a little bit back-n-forth, and a week later I got the coin and I was happy. I really felt like I was playing in a poker game that week. I talked about my Swedish heritage with him to make me feel better about the deal. I was laughing at myself on that one (once I got the coin).

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
    edited November 28, 2016 5:45PM

Vern:
    Thanks for showing off Dan's 1894-O Dime.... Such a tough coin to locate
    in anything "Fine" or better. I know the pleasure I obtained from collecting
    this series in the Dansco album, and I am sure Dan also has "pride of ownership"
    as well.

Tim:
    Thanks for bringing up the Fruit Cellar story - I have the QDB Barber book.... I'll look up
    that story... I remember reading about it before, but now that I know from whence it came,
    I'll enjoy it all the more, again. Thanks !

Mark:
    You were not bidding against me. I didn't find the 1895 Dime until the auction
    only had an hour left to run. I ended up sniping my bid - and I seriously thought
    the coin would have only gone for a bid or two higher than it was at - it being so
    close to the end of the auction. I threw in a bid considerably higher than I thought
    the coin was worth - that's my modus operendi - I'm use to being buried in my bids. ;)
    So, it looks like I was bidding against you, not, vice-versa. Sorry if I upset your plans.
    I'm actively looking at AU Dimes ( Nickels & Quarters as well in AU ) that will fit into
    my AU set(s).

~~///////////////////\\\\\\\\\
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still searching for a couple of Nickels in 58 - more MS & PR's are needed to finish
    these sets - it's gonna take a long time - but - in my "old age" :# - I have all the time
    in the world.... Lol.... When I see my contemporaries falling by the wayside, I do get
    a bit nervous - but as I've been told I come from "old bones" ... So, I just might get
    to finish off these sets before I go to the big Numismatic Vault in the Sky. B)

I noticed that Heritage has listed a total of ten (10) Halves in their FUN auction:
    1892-O in 50, 1895-O in 53, 1896-O XF 40, 1896-S in 50, 1897-O in 30 ( CAC ) ,
    1898-O in 40 ( CAC ), 1902-S in 45 ( CAC ), 1904-S in XF 40, 1907-S/s in 50,
    and lastly: 1909-O in 50.

The rest of the collection - regardless of individual valuable coins - are scheduled
    for Internet only auctions during the month of January. All my coins are listed without
    Reserve. My Registry sets still contain all the coins that are consigned to auction, plus
    the dozen or so that I have no intention of selling. ( for now, that is ).

Sorry for the BST-esque post - hope no one minds.

Happy hunting.

Edit to add a couple more consigned coins to Heritage FUN auction.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Vern, In this case, it was more than one jar... more than 1,300 coins... all silver. The '44 dates were all uncirculated for the most part. Newspaper in the wall was a May issue from the middle of the war years. Pretty cool. I sent Eileen Ribar pics of every Barber coin.

Milo, you should have been pleased to hear that your 12-S Quarter came from the Motherland !
    I have bought coins from that seller as well, I was turned onto him by my (our) friend, JMW,
    who has a great collection of all things Barber. ( He actually bought my very first Barber Dime
    set once I had it certified at PCGS ....). His name is Joe Wojteczko - and he'll be with me at FUN.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

I'll never learn... never....

My newest addition to a collection I wasn't planning on starting:

I tracked this coin to an auction at Heritage - September, 2013. I actually got
    this for less than hammer ! I wasn't going to buy another Half - unless it was CAC'd. B)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike - Good luck with the HA at FUN. And this must be a new record for time elapsed between selling your old collection and starting your new one.

Pics for this AM, a Dan half just back from our hosts. Care to guess the grade?

Vern
    l

Tim - Forgot to mention the mint mark on Dan's 03-O dime. Looks like a die gouge inside the 'O', with a little bit outside it, to the left, as well. Pretty sure it's not some kind of repunched MM.

Vern
    l

Mike- if I hadn't have fallen asleep that 95 would have been on its way to Maryland lol. It was gna fit my type set perfectly and be my Christmas gift to myself. I will find another tho hopefully
    Maybe 1 day you will give me a chance to own it if you ever upgrade it or find a better example.

Vern- look like a die gouge to me also. Sweet dime

Jeff- that 02-o dine is tremendously tough to find a good original example of. Congrats

Milo- that 12-S speaks for itself. Congratulations

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verne,as to wear that 07-O is a 45. PCGS graded it 35.....40 on a good day! That's my humble opinion!

Mike- great pickup on the '12 Half. It has a great look! A tougher date than people think.

Vern- I would put the '07 O in a XF 40 holder.

edited November 29, 2016 9:24AM

I hate to say this, and I don't mean to kick someone when they're down
    ...but, I can't resist in saying...."you snooze, you loose". Sorry Mark. I used to
    have a decent AU 55 of that date - but I wasnt in love with it, so I sold it this
    past year...guess, I was looking for an AU 58 and knew I'd eventually sell it.
    Should I find an AU 58 - you just never know - I'll offer the 50 back to you at
    what it cost me. Fair enough ?

Vern,
    Yes this the fastest turn around in starting a new set , ever, as well for me.

In 2011 after leaving my auction in Chicago, I walked by Liz Coggan's table,
    and heard her say...."Mike, have I got a coin for you !".... What a temptress
    she is ! Of course, I had to wait for Glen M. from Cleveland who was fawning all over
    an 1893-S Half in PCGS 53. It must have taken him a half hour of humming and hawing
    before he set it down, I asked to see it, took five seconds to know, I'd never seen a
    nicer toned example - and said "sold".... I think Glen was a bit taken aback at my
    impulsive behavior .... Needless to say, aside from the fact that it's one of the absolute
    nicest AU Barber Halves I have ever seen, and, as I had just sold off two other 93-S's
    (55, & 58) buying this 53 for more money than either of the others sold for, was why I said
    "I'm buried in this coin" and why it's not for sale, not so much for the finances, but because
    of how it looks..... ( I'll edit this post after I get on my lap top to post the image. )

Oh, and I agree with the consensus - 07-O - it's a nice 40 . But, I have seen 45's which are as
    worn. But, I believe it's a text book 40. On a bad day, it's a 35.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike- I hope u didn't misunderstand lol. I am happy that you got the coin. Sure it would have been sweet to win but sleeping was more important since I am working 7days a week. So ur not kicking me while I'm down.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Thanks to all for their opinions on Dan's 07-O. Our hosts said 45. I'll get a pic of the slab in the next day or two.

Mike's quick entry back into barber halves got me thinking about which barber has been in my collection the longest. To my surprise, it wasn't a quarter. So pics for this AM are my most senior barber, bought raw at Central States in 1995, now in PC53:

Vern
    l

Vern- that's certainly a primo example of a key date buddy. Beautiful original coin and I see why it's been a permanent resident of your hoard.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 6:14AM

Verne....Curious if that 07-O is in a newer holder....When the plastic changed. I have noticed PCGS loosening their standards quite a bit since...Not netting for weak strikes and letting some cleaning grade problem free now. :(

I see the PCGS standards still high, although some slip through the cracks both ways. My recently returned 1912 D 5C is a good example of net grading for strike (in my opinion):

There's hardly a mark on this coin; strike is the only reason I can see that it held back from a 64/ 65 holder (unless I'm missing something).

I think I'll crack this out and send it to NGC to see what they say.

Vern-

That's a beautiful '15 Half. On a good day it might be a 55.

I'd take a complete set of 53s that look like that over most 58 sets.

And before anyone takes offense, that's not a knock on anyone's set or accomplishments!

Vern... That 1915 Phila Half is exactly how I like the 53 grade.
    Can't blame you one iota for never selling.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Paesan - I couldn't agree with you more.
    Vern - It's perfect.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little touch of gold.

Darrell - The 07-O just was graded. And as far as loosening standards, you see a lot more coins than I do, but I think it's just a matter of inconsistency.

Jeff - I don't see any marks either, but luster/eye appeal is supposed to be a bigger factor in reaching 64/65. How is it in that regard? Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

Holed - That hole is creative. Thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, Dan's 07-O half in the slab:

And back a few weeks ago I posted Dan's 07-S half in an ANACS-53, and asked opinions on whether it would cross. We decided to crack it out, and it came back PC50:

Vern
    l
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern: Your selective Barber half "set" is something to be proud of
    Mike: Welcome back after your brief hiatus. Nice pick up on the 12 half. Hope to meet you,Jeff, and Lenny at FUN if my schedule allows it.
    I picked up a couple new halves. A 93-S in 55 and a 95-O in53. I will have Vern take photos at our next gathering.
    Jim

Looking forward to it, Jim. I'll be with JMW and Dimeman - who are staying at my home in Naples...
    and we're day-tripping to the FUN show ! I'll only be there Thursday and Friday. The other guys very
    well may stay for the whole show. { JMW is standing next to me in the first post of this Thread ! I'm the
    "slim one"...LOL ....in an orange shirt on the left in the back row. } The only difference in my appearance
    these days, is that I've shed 55 lbs since last Thanksgiving. Still have another 55 lbs to go.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file