Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is your avatar the way that it is............Please explain

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

This is the first type of Barber Quarters - in Proof. PCGS 65+ CAM.
    Its 10 times rarer than the Ty. 2.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Favorite all time baseball player-"Stan the Man". Was also my Dads favorite as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a favorite coin I owned at the time, previous avatar a dateless FE pattern that others have adopted.

It's been fun reading about other avatars!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

I lurked for quite a while then joined up and needed an avatar. At that time on the old forums there was still a designated upload day, or something to that affect. I saw this one and never saw anyone else using it. I later learned it is a "Dead Milkmen" logo, which i actually had already known but forgotten I guess. That said...
    Bitchin' Camaro! :D

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

That's rag time gal..

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:
    That's rag time gal..

Wait for it, >:)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Back in my early, early newby days, I was a purist and couldn't get into dirty classics. Then I saw the light. A few months hanging around these boards helped. This is probably my favorite dirty old silver circulation cameo. Well, it fits my definition of circulation cameo: worn-down high points highlighted by darker recesses in the device, and device highlighted by clean fields. I can't figure out if it's been messed with at some point, but I don't care, it just looks like original-surface dirty silver to me. Love this design of 1838. It looked to me more like a medal the first time I saw it, still does, and I felt lucky to buy it 8 years ago from James Garcia at EarlyUS.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I joined we didn't have much choice. There were a bunch of stock icons and I think one day a month which you could upload your own. I looked around and it didn't seem anyone was using this one. I loved Buff's and Bison as animals, so I adopted this one, with the thought someone might contact me so as to have it returned to it's rightful owner. Well, that never happened. I've been thinking about changing it to one of my creation though I still like it.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

There we go.... I just updated it!
    Original now. My coin, my photo.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Barber Halves. My Avatar is my 1905 O PC AU 58 found raw:

A very tough coin to find in AU!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't retrieve my previous avatar before the 'new and improved' hostile takeover, jklol. So now my avatar is just smoe widget I acquired...

• Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Goes back to the days of the OF - was a prank photo of another forum member...

Ah, the good ole days of St Guru, GSAguy, Kiefer, Russ, and many more who I can't remember anymore!

o:)

imageimage

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Early Proof Jeffs

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is a custom neon sign I had made years ago that hangs in my studio.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is my favorite commemorative half dollar. Been in my set from the beginning.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

People have sometimes accused me of being slightly obsessed with 1827 bust halves. I don't know why--don't most people have a couple of hundred examples of some particular denomination/date/mm?

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite Comitia Americana medals, plus it's mine.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my favorite coin from my MPL set.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2024 8:54PM

Maximinus or "Big Max" was the Emperor of Rome from AD 235 to AD 238.
    He was supposedly over eight feet tall and was a former wrestler.
    His reign ended the usual way for a Roman Emperor, he was murdered.

Maximinus Denarius Victory
    Silver, 20mm, 2.98gm
    Struck: AD 235-236 Rome
    Obverse: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG
    Reverse: Victory advancing right, VICTORIA AVG

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to be able to do the edges. So I went to a local thrift shop bought a cheap 5 cell flashlight and used the reflector to accomplish that.
    When I got to the check out I asked the lady if see had a trash can close by she said yes and I gave her the rest of it to throw away. You should have seen the look on her face.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

My avatar is the reverse of an 1882-CC GSA graded NGC 64*. It is one of the coins I am happiest to have bought raw at a show for the same price a blast white one would have been. Though the color on the obverse isn't superb, I haven't seen for sale many GSA's with awesome toning since that could come home with me.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Not complicated - I'm an AF retiree. My ID is from my grade, Chief Master Sergeant. I do like that we can change our avatars anytime now.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

@csanotes said:
    My avatar is the reverse of an 1882-CC GSA graded NGC 64*. It is one of the coins I am happiest to have bought raw at a show for the same price a blast white one would have been. Though the color on the obverse isn't superb, I haven't seen for sale many GSA's with awesome toning since that could come home with me.

Very nice! Way back in the early 70s I bought two of the GSA hoard dollars (through a bid or direct purchase - can't remember). Got an 82 and an 83. They are in the original Mint packaging. Sold one years ago but still have the other.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2016 6:43AM

If I were to choose an avatar here it would probably be a ST one, which was in a way a herald of the internet age.

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Mine is the coat of arms of the fraternity I was involved with in college.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said:
    I have cats that could haved posed for this avatar

Chum, that still is my favorite, and I still get a chuckle out of it.

Mine I stole from someone else because Led Zep is the greatest hard rock band of all time.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I'm too lazy and tech challenged to put up a good one.

• Options

I collect anything that catches my attention, and found this unique Taiwan aboriginal textile in an antique shop .

• Options
    rkprkp Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

Favorite coin from my collection

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2016 6:54PM

It's just a nice coin I bought years ago for $10, paid fo have it in a holder (knowing it wasn't worth it). I think it has subtle, but really nice eye appeal. I may start a 20th C. type set, pleasantly toned MS's. Here's some over exposed close ups.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2016 8:51PM

Thin Blue Line - 1 AS* to risk. Cuz I'm a law enforcement officer.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:
    It's just a nice coin I bought years ago for $10, paid fo have it in a holder (knowing it wasn't worth it). I think it has subtle, but really nice eye appeal. I may start a 20th C. type set, pleasantly toned MS's. Here's some over exposed close ups.

I agree with you, your Washington is a nice coin with pretty album toning.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is because it's the only coin I ever personally struck.

Okay, it's not a coin, it's a medal. Okay, I didn't "strike" it, I pushed a button.

I was at the Philly Mint in June 2001, and in the store you could buy 1.5" bronze slugs with upset rims, take it over to a mint press, and an employee would mount the blank on the die and you got to press a button to strike the medal. He then took the minty fresh new medal and put it in a souvenir bag and heat sealed it. It was pretty cool.

So I got two blanks (I think they were like $5 or $6 each) and only pressed one.

It's hard to image because the bag is all scuffed up. I could get a better pic if I removed it from the bag, but I'm not gonna... :smiley:

Blank and souvenir bag:

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a pretty bust half I picked out of the stock photos nearly 10 years ago. A former Boiler78 coin as I later found out. Would love to own it someday.

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 405 ✭✭✭

Mine is a 1976 Wedgwood bicentennial black and white jasper mug designed by Richard Guyatt. I received this about 23 years ago from my high school art teacher and her husband as a keepsake. Since they had two of them, they decided to let one go. I was told out of the 500 made, 200 of them went to private collections. Can find any information to confirm, not that it matters to me. It really is a beautiful mug.

More information about the piece I found online.

Amongst the limited and unlimited pieces produced to celebrate the American Bicentennial in 1976 was this two handle black and white jasper mug, designed by Richard Guyatt. Decoration on each side show the bald eagle, with American flag flying in the background, the eagle has in its beak a scroll with legend 1176 – 1976. In the eagles claws can be seen an olive branch and arrows, both items have strong symbolism and can been seen on the Americas national coat of arm, olive branch represents peace, arrows have historically represented the 13 original states, however this pattern uses only five arrows, we cannot find any records that indicate why only five arrows have been used. It could be that the five arrows in this instance represent the five original authors’ of the Declaration of Independence. Pattern is taken from a black and gold silk screen print, number 3239, with special back stamp applied using lithograph technology. Further decoration consists of seven white jasper stars forming an edge line around mugs circumference. Base of mug is decorated with white jasper olive branch resting on five arrows. Each handle of the mug is decorated with a white jasper olive branch. Interior of mug is decorated with gold stars applied using lithograph technology. Item has been left unglazed. At launch this item retailed at £118.75.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first joined here I was collecting early halves. Have since sold most off but never sold my icon because I was too lazy to have to change it to another . On the upside it caused me to keep it when I sold my collection 5 yrs ago. Now it once again fits into my set of early type

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just cropped the guitar out of my head shot and voilà!

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago (2005), when I first joined the CU Forum, I was young and foolish, and knew not what I was doing. I had established my screen name (MrHalfDime) several years before, and it seemed like a logical name to use here. But my avatar appeared simply as a white box with a red X in the middle because I was unaware of how to post an avatar. I decided to correct this common novice error, and visited the forum library of avatar images. On the 15th of the next month I selected my choice of all of the avatar images posted (the one I still use) and established it as my identity. I mistakenly treated the library of avatar images as a "Free - Take One" listing, and unknowingly 'stole' the image posted and used (at that time) by another member. I do not recall that member's name, but fortunately for me he was very forgiving and understanding, and despite my repeated apologies and offers to undo my error, he encouraged me to continue to use that avatar image, and he posted a new one for himself. I really liked that cropped image of the famous John Trumbull painting "Declaration of Independence", showing the 'committee of five' founding fathers presenting the draft of the Declaration of Independence to Congress, as it represents my deeply rooted interest in American history, and depicts my favorite American, Thomas Jefferson. I will always be indebted to that very forgiving forum member.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭

I served in US submarine force for more than 35 years. This is one of my better submarine photos.

• Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

I collect NICE Franklin Half Dollars!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinGuy42 said:
    I served in US submarine force for more than 35 years. This is one of my better submarine photos.

That is a _great_photo! And thanks for serving in what I believe is one of the most important... and least recognized/appreciated... branches of the armed services. __

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2016 8:28PM

Some thirty + years ago we (my wife and I) fell in love with Labrador's, specifically yellows. My avatar is my third male, Gabriel. He was not only the sweetest Lab I've had, but one of the most beautiful. We lost him some years ago, and I really look forward to seeing him, and spending the forever time with him and all the others. My male today is Samson, another sweet boy in the line of Gabriel. Samson's sister is Delilah, a Labradoodle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2016 11:32PM

Me in Afghanistan 2004 on a Russian heavy Machine gun left over from the war in the 70`s

Something I'll never have the want or chance to do again

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cubs! Will change it soon, to what I don't know

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Great medal to add for "Coins-on-a-Coin" set collectors!

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Mine is because it's the only coin I ever personally struck.

Okay, it's not a coin, it's a medal. Okay, I didn't "strike" it, I pushed a button.

I was at the Philly Mint in June 2001, and in the store you could buy 1.5" bronze slugs with upset rims, take it over to a mint press, and an employee would mount the blank on the die and you got to press a button to strike the medal. He then took the minty fresh new medal and put it in a souvenir bag and heat sealed it. It was pretty cool.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of Blue

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad i posed this question, a lot of interesting people are participating in this forum, thanks for sharing.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

I have read these posts for years, but have always been a wall flower. I recently lost my beloved Papillon Cinnamon at about 18 years of age. She was fearless in life and I decided to honor her by emulating her. Oh. and she was a very cute dog.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to remember pets fondly :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file