Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I'll try and see if I can add my NGC 60 CAC / PCGS 62 1907 Quarter....{ My mistake: I remembered it as a 58 )
    photo 1907-P Quarter NGC 60 CAC Holder_zpstmxph62w.png
    ...looks like I'll have to dip into the Photobucket melage:

photo 1907-P Quarter NGC 60 CAC Obv_zpsdqvwz41j.pngphoto 1907-P Quarter NGC 60 REV CAC_zps5jcam1df.png

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, all I have to say is wow - nice coin.
    It is beyond me how NGC could call that 1907 quarter an MS-60 with an absence of significant scarring or marks (at least from what I can see in the picture).

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would likely 62 if submitted to PCGS.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Mike that's a super nice 60. U dnt see many 60 grades. I'd like that baby for my album

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016 8:03PM

Mike are you saying that this coin currently resides in a PC62 holder? Therefore you mean this 60 grade in an NGC holder is an older picture?

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Mike are you saying that this coin currently resides in a PC62 holder? Therefore you mean this 60 grade in an NGC holder is an older picture?

Yes, exactly. The NGC 60 CAC, is now a PCGS 62 and was resubmitted to CAC,
    however, it "Did Not Pass".

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016 3:32AM

A few more Wayte pursuit pics:

1898-S in PC30... and ex-JKT

1909-D in raw VF-35ish...

1916-P, another ex-JKT special, XF-45 graded from our hosts (PC45)

• T

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell - That '05 qtr is a beauty. No wonder it moved quickly.

Tim - Lenny still has a wonderful qtr collection. Most listed here as from Lenny are his duplicates. You have a lot of really nice coins going into your raw collection. I remember how much fun it was filling the holes when I put mine together. Interestingly, some of the toughest ones for me to find are listed as more plentiful in the BCCS survey.

Mike - Glad you got your '07 qtr in 58, and at a good price. I think that lower price might have had something to do with Stack's limited following. NGC definitely missed on calling your MS '07 a 60.

Mark - I still haven't figured the new PM out yet.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Since folks on this Board have snapped up all the great Barbers in the US I went outside the borders again, this time to Rome, Italy (not Georgia, Darryl) for a 1892 S PC 58 25C:

This is slabbed in a current generation holder; I wonder how it ended up there?

• Options

Jeff is this from eBay? Nice 92-S buddy

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2016 6:42AM

Jeff, The '92-S is a tough coin, looks nice, you are a very happy owner I'm sure! Perhaps someone came through Ellis Island and brought back a treasure like that to Italy on a temporary home visit? just theorizing. Pretty cool.

Vern, Appreciate the comments, Paesan's duplicates? crazy wild amazing - wow! his current set is even more fantastic, neat. On your recent pics, I like the '00-S and '01-P quarter you have. You have done a great job acquiring a consistent look and feel to your set. Thanks for sharing and I am humbled by your comments concerning my own pursuits.

Mike, Green bean at a 60 grade, I can see why. The '07-P you have is much better than 60 IMO. No bean at 62 - would that mean they see it undergraded at 60 but not at 62? I would like to see what they might think those other "higher quality" 62's are like. What is really cool to me about the coin is the warm and inviting mellow golden to light hazel surface splash color blanketing lustrous surfaces. Color is not overpowering but complimentary.

• T

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff! Interesting! A while back I purchased a 92-S half in 58 from Italy! It was in a PCGS secure + holder so I figure it was certified in Europe as a foreign coin! :smiley:

• Options
    edited November 11, 2016 9:19AM

I know there are a couple of PCGS offices in Western Europe - one in Paris and one in
    Germany ( can't remember where, now ) .... Maybe now there's a branch office in Rome ?

Our friend Jeff has been rooting them out of the cupboards across the world. Think he
    nabbed a few from Formosa. Looking forward to seeing these when he gets them.

The 92-S Ty 2 is a nice coin. congrats. Now, try and find a Ty 1.... They're as scarce as
    hen's teeth.

Thanks again, Vern for posting those two Philipine Hoard Quarters.... Well, one is
    a hoard coin, the 00-S. Rumors use to fly around that there were wooden kegs of
    the 1901-S Quarters all as fresh as the day they were minted. This rumor was that
    the kegs were in Hawaii. For all we know, "good" old Walter Breen started those fibs.

Tim...I meant to say Thank You for your recent contributions to this Thread. You've brought
    new life to it - and keeps me guessing what else you'll be reminding us about....( "Old" men -
    like myself - need a refresher course every so often. )

A general comment about the "bargain" I recently picked up at Stacks on the 1907 Phila.
    Quarter in PCGS 58: there were a few more such bargains to been had. Quite a few actually.
    Common date stuff in AU 58 has lost some of its allure - the new 'must have' grade is 58+

I don't have one Quarter in 58+... just a few Dimes. They are not all that plentiful - as we
    all have ascertained.

Well....am off to the Cemetary to lay flowers at my parents' graves - my Mom passed on
    November 11th - eleven years ago. ( 11....11....11....) she would have been 95 today had she
    lived from her last bout of pneumonia....

Have a good weekend everyone. Happy hunting.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Jeff! Interesting! A while back I purchased a 92-S half in 58 from Italy! It was in a PCGS secure + holder so I figure it was certified in Europe as a foreign coin! :smiley:

I didn't think about that- I suspect the raw coin was in Italy for many years and recently graded in Europe. The seller was a coin shop in Rome.

• Options

Jeff - Way to go international. I wonder if our hosts are more consistent in grading over there.

Mike - With a keg of 01-S's, one could actually afford some land in Hawaii. My condolences on your mom.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted this pic in a while:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2016 3:53AM

Worth its Wayte in gold I say... 1913-P in NGC VF-35... Heritage Long Beach Expo #1209, Lot #7484...

• Options

Mike, Every cook needs its ingredients. Barber conosseiurs (good friends) and coins make the recipe for fun and new life really easy! Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff and Darryl, If only coins could speak!

• T

• Options

Vern- those are some very attractive 01-S quarters. The OgH is something I'd like to get my hands on. Maybe I can find atleast 25℅ of my collection in them. Doubt it lol

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2016 6:34AM

Vern, I haven't seen your '01-S stash before... it is nice to know the '01-S does have some pleasant pieces out there existing! seems when I see auction sales they rarely look that nice. Congrats!

Mike, I don't know about a keg of quarters in Hawaii but you would think if something like that showed up it would have been noticed by the market. Going back to BCCS Journal 2014 #3, I mentioned briefly in the 1899-S 25c text the notion that the Phillipine effect from 1898 to 1900 years should be extended to 1903 for San Francisco mintages. Whoever thought it should stop at 1900-S? It all ended in 1903. IMHO, it is likely a number of the 1901-S mintage also went to the Phillipines and the people there did a lot of burying because of their mindset to bury coming out of the Spanish occupation. So, in theory, there actually could be a barrel or stash of the quarters - I just wouldn't be sure if it would have made it to Hawaii.

• Options

My latest Economy Submission at PCGS was graded yesterday. Both nice and bad surprises.

Here's the worst results. Back in August I purchased a 1912 D Liberty Nickel in an ANACS MS 64 holder. The coin had a weak strike and spots, but it had very nice surfaces. I cracked it out and cleaned it up a bit:

The coin was graded MS 62 by PCGS. I sure thought it had a good shot at 64 but a lock at 63 on the low end. I guess they're getting very picky about the strike. I haven't seen the coin in the holder yet; they should arrive the first part of next week.

• Options

Jeff- resubmit that baby too you get the results your happy with if it's worth the $$ sure looks like a 64 to me.

Vern- awsome Trio of 01-S quarters. All u need now is a xf or Au.

Tim- Thanks for all the recent post and bringing so many pics and so much knowledge to the thread. I enjoy all of your post. I wish we had more folks that were active.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

On a side note. I received my 07-S about 25 minutes ago and it's a truly beautiful coin. Full of luster and I think the 55 grade suits it very well. Now I will tag along with someone CaC submission to see if she will bean. I'm not gonna post pics since I did so from the sellers pic.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Liking these '07-S quarters. I have been trying to catch-up on previous threads and came across this previous one from Vern:

@barberkeys said in April 2015:
    ... from Doug's stellar barber quarter collection ... PC53:

• T

• Options

More destined for the future Wayte Raymond album... random selection:

1893-S in VF raw:

1902-O in about XF-45ish raw:

Also, although a bit more on the common side, is this ex-JKT extra special PC40 1907:

• T

• Options
    edited November 15, 2016 10:52PM

@mrkbrown87 said:
    On a side note. I received my 07-S about 25 minutes ago and it's a truly beautiful coin. Full of luster and I think the 55 grade suits it very well. Now I will tag along with someone CaC submission to see if she will bean. I'm not gonna post pics since I did so from the sellers pic.

Mark.... I just sent in a large submission to CAC, for another friend and I tied a half dozen of my own coins in with his. I will have three Quarters to submit by Monday - but, I'm expecting approx. another 10-12 coins for submissio within a few weeks. Plus, I'm going to submit about six MS V Nickels and five newer Dimes in AU 58. I'd help you out, but my timing is off. I guess I won't be submitting too much until Early-Mid January.

Too bad I didn't know about your wanting to submit to CAC a week or so ago.

Once I have another consignment ready for CAC, I'll give you a head's up. However, if you
    want to send me your newps that you want CAC'd - and if they do CAC - then all you'll owe me
    is a couple of bucks, plus postage and insurance to and from CAC and back to you. Its your call.

CAC rates have gone up a Dollar per coin - on / after December 1st. So, there's an excellent chance I'll try and beat the deadline prior to the 1st. I have been using a friend's Fed Ex account - and use their standard overnight delivery...plus, I use ship and insure for very competitive insurance rates.

PM me here { NOT Facebook } if you have a question.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Guess, I should throw in a couple of images - as I am on the lap top = "easier to upload"

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike I appreciate it Buddy I may be able to find someone. I have a couple to submit. 1 to ATS and couple to our host so I may wait. I really wna see if the 07-s is as nice as I think it is. She's beautiful in hand
    Hoky smokes at the Micro-O. I saw one on eBay I couldn't remember how high a grade it was tho.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mike-

That's a great looking Micro O. Do you know who owns it now?

• Options

Additional W.R. future album pics:

1899-P in raw high-end F to low-end VF condition if 3rd Party graded:

A tougher VF-20 1901-O graded by PCGS. Lot #:8108; 2011 December 8-11 US Coins Signature Auction (1162); (PCGS #20282992)

Here is a quality ex-JKT 1911-S. Graded PC40 and R4 in the David Lawrence text:

I hope your week is enjoyable!

• T

• Options

Mark & Tim - Sadly, of the three 01-S barber qtrs in my picture, only the VF35 still belongs to me. I couldn't afford to keep them all.

Tim - More nice qtrs going into your Raymond boards. Really enjoy seeing them.

Mike - The 'O' looks bigger on the 92-O dime. Neat comparison pics.

Pics for this AM, common date with an extraordinary look newp from Baltimore into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Tim- I admire those raw quarters bud. They each compliment the next one.

Vern- I'd say u kept the toughest 01-S of the also that 16-D for paesan is dripping with beauty

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2016 5:46AM

Vern, I really like how the lighting setting on your camera brings out the warm, gentle, golden tone of color for that '16-D. The circulation grime touching the highlights does provide a unique look there as you eluded to. Thanks for sharing!

micro-O is not out of the June 2014 Gardner sale from Heritage... any back drop on where purchased?

• T

• Options

Lenny always finds the really nice ones. Does he take a CoinHund to the shows to sniff out the great ones?

• Options

Mark, I think the W.R. album coins should find its way into a narrower range with more consistent color looks when possible. That may result in some downgrades and upgrades of existing coins. I'm looking to stay between VF-30 to XF-40 with a median of VF-35. I hope I won't need to stay satisfied with my displeasure but the existing accumulation towards my goal has netted me all but the big-3 which would, or will, be very challenging financially to acquire. When you save up for something like that, you need to do so considering the right coin or coins - items that may require a 25 to 40% premium to get the right one(s).

Bottom line, the pursuit is what collecting is all about and never really being satisfied is a part of that - this takes some getting used to. As I am learning from Mike, sometimes an occassional tear-up or regret is painfully necessary (unless you have enough money to keep it all!) but the journey, the discovery, the joy is worth it everyday IMO.

I mean, for instance, you should see the spreadsheets I've put together. Essentially I have retyped the text from guides for date and mint of a number of different series. This took a while as you might have imagined with a bit of carpel-tunnel syndrome. I placed this text next to adjoining columns of my coin pics, mintage and cost information. The costs include purchase price, fees, shipping, 3rd party grading investment... an accumulation of costs related to a row of the spreadsheet aligned to collecting interest. I put rarity scale or target collecting grade in there. End result is a nice Acrobat Reader-version of spreadsheets I can keep of my collection on my cellphone or IPad tablet at the ready (nice to have when shopping or during those moments of inadvertent downtime!).

-T

• Options

Mark, Thanks for the kind words. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Mike-

That's a great looking Micro O. Do you know who owns it now?

Yes, I know the buyer very well. I also sold him his 1913-S Quarter in PCGS 64.
    ( The 13-S never made it to auction ). He is known on the Registry as "CHUGUM".

He owns a vending machine company in the Mid-West - started collecting coins as a young boy,
    when he got permission to go thru the change the machines received - ( from his Dad and Grandfather - it's a family business ) .... He put together complete sets of many denominations.

He's a younger guy than I am ( I'd say, very late 40's ). He fills in at a dealers table at all
    the big shows .... Can't remember the name of the dealer - but they are on eBay as well.
    Their name is something like SCE.... Forgot the rest. I know he's gone to a couple of BCCS
    meetings ..... He wears a longish crew cut.... Best I can do ...without releasing his name.
    ( which he may not appreciate ). His nick name is "DJ".

Mark...No problem ...just thought I could be of service. Good luck with the submissions.
    My CAC submission will go in by the week after Thanksgiving.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2016 11:00AM

@sedulous said:
    Vern, I really like how the lighting setting on your camera brings out the warm, gentle, golden tone of color for that '16-D. The circulation grime touching the highlights does provide a unique look there as you eluded to. Thanks for sharing!

micro-O is not out of the June 2014 Gardner sale from Heritage... any back drop on where purchased?

• T

Tim.... The micro O was one of three I once had. Two of which came from Peter Shireman
    (Via Harry Laibstain ) - and the third, a PCGS 55 came from David Lawrence % Win Callender
    .... when he still worked there.

The first one I bought was in an ANACS cachet - and an AU 55 - which I sent to our hosts
    and it did not cross - I then bought the PCGS 55 from DLRC - and sold the ANACS to HLRC.
    Dr. Peter Shireman had bought a gem MS 65 in an NGC holder - which he crossed to PCGS.
    He consigned his MS 63 ( pictured previously ) and I bought the Micro O in PC 63 from Harry.
    I traded in my 1901-S Quarter in PCGS 55 for it.

You should read the 1st Barber Thread for background info. The link to it is in the 1st post
    of the Third Barber Thread.

It's good bed time reading....lol

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I've often wondered about Chugum. He has a complete set of Barber Halves in MS 63 except for the '96 O- no entry. I presume he's looking for one. There are 8 of them out there- it shouldn't be an imnpossible task to find one. Very disciplined!

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for compliments on the 16-D. Any objections to seeing my non-Barber newp? I picked up a gorgeous 1918 Standing Lib.

Baltimore was amazing!

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Paesan I have no objection and I don't think anyone else really would either. I got to Baltimore on the last day and wasn't many dealers there. I had a hard work week that kept me away. Wish I could have met you and Vern and whomever else was there.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Lenny, no objections.

Mike, Thanks for the back story. I have been trying to catch up with the threads, but that effort started with the Barber Mega Thread 3 a week or two ago. I will go back to 1, then 2 next.

Future album stash, a couple of 1906 specimens from Philadelphia (raw F-15) and New Orleans (PC20, ex-JKT):

• Options

Tim - Your passion for this great hobby shows. Very glad you joined the forum.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

And a bonus set of pics, a perfect look IMO, Paesan's newp SLQ from Baltimore, PC58FH::

Vern
    l
  • Options

Very nice SLQ Lenny. Bng out or just couldn't resist.

In one conversation I heard you say you would like to have a complete set of US Quarters- still on the radar?

• Options

Holy smokes!, I am just finding out there are other threads out there on Barbers... for instance, Mike, I see you have something like a "Newer Addition... " thread. Any other cool ones to know about?

• Options
    edited November 15, 2016 7:51AM

Another quarter envisioned to be part of the Wayte pursuit. This 1898-O is in PC25 and would be a much nicer looker if I was a better photographer.

• T

• Options

Vern, My phone is catching up to the thread... thanks. Actually, let me tell Vern, and all of the rest of you it is refreshing to be able to talk about Barbers with others. In my world, I think they call me a closet collector. Collecting in secret (almost). Limited shows, limited exposure, except for local coin shops and the like. All of you ROCK! and I am glad to have found you! On the flip side, opportunities for purchase are also limited without the connections and friendships many of you have with dealers I am sure. Glad to be here. Thanks Vern.

• T

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, Yes, I'd like to have a complete set of quarters up to 1964.

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Here are a few more Raymond-destined mid-grade coins:

1895-S about VF20 raw conservatively speaking:

1897-O in raw F-15:

1909-O PC12 with CAC green bean:

Milo, very nice '09!

Lenny, Love the color on that SLQ!

• T

• Options

Tim - I'm not aware of any other threads that deal with barbers specifically. Once in a while a thread gets posted about a members specific coin, tho. Nice raw qtrs again, BTW.

Pics for this AM, really nice look IMO, on this V Nickel newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I've been in New Orleans for a few days on business; returned late last night. Yesterday afternoon I had a couple of hours to kill so I went out searching for coins. Being in the New Orleans area I had visions of AU O mint Barbers in tubs laying around in Pawn Shops.

Low and behold what did I find? An AU original 1897 O and 1909 O Barber Half! Both look 58 to me with tons of original toning and luster. Simply beautiful coins. Both of these are nicer the coins in my current Everyman set.

The only problem is they belong to the Old US Mint Museum ib New Orleans; they didn't come home with me. It was a fun 45 minute visit and there were a lot of seated and Barber coins on display- gold as well. I took a few photos with my cell phone; if any of them are any good I'll post them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file