Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice 15-S Half, Lenny. Very colorful.

I agree with Labelman87 - that 13-S is pristine;
    far nicer than the ones I have seen in the past.
    Problem with a coin like that, unless all your coins
    look like that in your Quarter set, that coin will make
    the rest of the set look like (as Laura likes to say ) Dreck.

I listened to a friend who frequents Stacks / Bowers'
    Internet Only Weekly Auctions. Last night I picked up
    a 1914 Phila Quarter :

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mike. An old dip but it came back nicely, and it came fairly.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Checked out the barber half registry, wow, there sure is some tight competition at the top.

Craig - Dan bought that 13-S at the Heritage auction (Cincinnati, I think), that also had the only 13-S in MS68 as the next lot. The MS68 paled in comparison.

Mike - Real nice addition, congrats.

Pics for this AM, tough date newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike- that '14 25C looks nicer than a 63 to me. Hardly a mark.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well coinhusker in my opinion is a true collector. I haven't talked with him in a long time....but...if he wanted the top spot he could probably plug in a couple of Vg's or F's for the 2 he needs and take the top barber half everyman set! Perhaps he didn't realize the boost from a completed set? I don't know. I wish I could snag some of the coins he has. I suspect he has the majority(probably all) of the 58+'s that were in the bluevalley set.
    Darrell - IMO, the only reason there are plus grades is so the machine can print money faster.

Pics for this AM, a TDR from the Stash, PC62 (or on some days, a 58+):

Vern
    l
    Vern, Exactly. Some day not too long from now, we'll see AU-59 and 59+. Watch everyone scramble when that happens! :-) Then, in honor of, well, you know what, I can see CAC having all the colors of the rainbow.

Paesan
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Crud, I just bought a plus graded coin yesterday. My joy has deflated. image

A new non-plus grade Liberty Nickel for my set, an 1895 PCGS MS 64:

A bit tougher date, I was happy to pick it up in the new model holder. I like the new holders a lot better than the old ones.

<< <i>Crud, I just bought a plus graded coin yesterday. My joy has deflated. image >>

Justin...wait till they convert the Sheldon Scale of 70 Grades to the
    new 100 Point Scale - as used on Philatelic items.

I just got my first 6 Airmail Stamps graded ... If you think PCGS is tight on grades,
    you should see the licking I took from PSE : ( MOGNH = Mint Original Gum Never Hinged )

C1 - VG 50 - MOGNH
    C2 - VF-XF 85 - MOGNH
    C3 - XF 90 - MOGNH
    C4 - VF 80 - MOGNH
    C5 - VF-XF 85 - MOGNH
    C6 - F 70 - MOGNH

Average Grade : 76.66

It's like school, a 76 is a solid "C" grade.
    I thought for sure I'd get better grades on
    C1. The money coin is C3.

Believe me, converting coins to a 100 point scale
    ain't gonna be pretty !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Paesan - Whenever the marketing gurus think the time is right.

Justin - I think most of your coins already have the plus look.

Jeff - Real nice '95, love the reverse strike.

Mike - I agree 100%, the conversion to a 100 point scale will be costly (to collectors).

Pics for this AM, a plus in my mind:

Vern
    l
    Another new purchase, a 1903 O 50C graded AU 58 by NGC:

I don't think it has much of a chance of crossing at the same grade, but it looks like a solid bet at 55 (to me). I like the look of the coin- it's a nice upgrade to my current 53 no matter. It has a decent strike for a New Orleans coin. image
    Jeff,I think it has a good chance of crossing. I would send it in at cross for grade and don't give em the chance to downgrade it. I think that was a rip and I would have jumped on it if I had seen it before you!

<< <i>Jeff,I think it has a good chance of crossing. I would send it in at cross for grade and don't give em the chance to downgrade it. I think that was a rip and I would have jumped on it if I had seen it before you! >>

Darrell- I hope you're right. I've often wondered about the psychology of submitting a coin for crossover and specifying that it's OK to cross at a lower grade. I would think that it must have a tendancy to lower the chance of a same grade crossover, especially if it's a close call. By stating that you'll accept a lower grade aren't you notifying the 3PG that you're not certain it's worth the current assigned grade? Or do the graders only see what's been written on the submission form after they formulate an opinion? image

<< <i>I'll add a photo this morning- a recent raw pickup came in the mail yesterday.

1900 S 50C:

I think it has a chance at 58; I need to upgrade my 55. >>

Well Darrell the grades are back on this one and you nailed it- it's in a 53 holder. I need to go to grading school. image

My take on that Half you got back as a 53:

YA GOT ROBBED !!! ITS A 55 ALL DAY LONG !!!

No offense to the graders ... I know it's tough having to grade in nano seconds
    but the coin is no more a 53 than it is a 58. IMHO - I am not that humble - it's a 55.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>

<< <i>Jeff,I think it has a good chance of crossing. I would send it in at cross for grade and don't give em the chance to downgrade it. I think that was a rip and I would have jumped on it if I had seen it before you! >>

Darrell- I hope you're right. I've often wondered about the psychology of submitting a coin for crossover and specifying that it's OK to cross at a lower grade. I would think that it must have a tendancy to lower the chance of a same grade crossover, especially if it's a close call. By stating that you'll accept a lower grade aren't you notifying the 3PG that you're not certain it's worth the current assigned grade? Or do the graders only see what's been written on the submission form after they formulate an opinion? image >>

Jeff, In my opinion it is kindda like holding them to the bar....either they put it in their holder at the grade you want or it will stay in the holder it is!

<< <i>My take on that Half you got back as a 53:

YA GOT ROBBED !!! ITS A 55 ALL DAY LONG !!!

No offense to the graders ... I know it's tough having to grade in nano seconds
    but the coin is no more a 53 than it is a 58. IMHO - I am not that humble - it's a 55. >>

Mike! Take a closer look at the cheek! Lottsa....Lotssa friction! I think it is graded right.

Edit to add and the neck! image
    I took the friction into consideration...

Look at all the undisturbed details on the hair, the shield, the
    Eagle, the claws, the arrow fletchings, no rub what so ever.

The cheek shows the rub of a 55 coin. Then again, I have said
    this as often as not: I hate grading from images. I have to chuckle,
    Darrell, you are very hard on grading. I wonder if your clients are as
    hard on your coins as you are on theirs ? image

It's the friction that kept it out of a 58...IMHO

Seems we agree to disagree !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Jeff - Nice '03-O newp.

Pics for this AM, newp into the Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
    Mike,as a matter of fact most of my customers are! My take on that 00-S....From what I am seeing in the picture more than 1/2 of the area of the check and neck show obvious signs of wear and do not retain luster. That to me equates to a 53. image
    I net grade the 1900-S half AU-50 for the dip, 53 is acceptable, 55 out of the question. It's lifeless to me, judging by the photos. Perhaps much better in hand.

Paesan
    Darrell...you are too old fashioned a grader. You and Jack Beymer are
    two that are stuck in the 1960's grading. [edit to add] ...and Paesan too !!

Again, I discounted for the cheek/neck wear, and yes, the luster breaks;
    but because of what I mentioned earlier, I still see an AU 55. The focal point
    as you are aware is the cheek and the neck. The coin has more wear showing
    there because of the design. However, the rest of the coin is sharp as a 58.

We could argue this until the cows come home.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    The beauty of the hobby is that we all like different things and have different opinions. Just for comparison, my 1900-S half AU-53 is at the bottom of page 59. The coin it replaced, an AU-55, is at the top of page 60.

Mike, your comment about some graders being stuck in the 60s may be very accurate. Indeed, I wish this country could go back there for so many reasons!

Paesan
    The previously posted photos of my 1900 S were pretty bad- I shot them in a rush with improper lighting (that really magnified all the imperfections). I shot better photos of the same coin in the slab this morning:

The coin looks more like these photos in hand- it's actually an attractive coin. All those little scratches are there, but barely visible unless bad lighting makes them pop. I suspect it has been dipped at some time, but not recently. I think a 53 grade is a bit harsh as well.
    Jeff, I wish I could find raw Barbers and get them in 53 holders!

Picked this 1898 Quarter up for my cousin's boy, who I have mentored for the last 6 years.
    I have slowly put together a decent XF/AU collection - and I'd say we're 25% complete.

The boy is turning 17 next month - and as he was born in 1998 - I have also added a 1998
    Quarter from a US Mint Set. Now, all I need is to find a two Quarter Holder - so these coins
    be displayed together:

imageimage

This morning, while having my coffee, I found this on eBay - from Tom Smith in New York. I called him and we worked out
    an agreeable price. Its only a 53 - but its still an upgrade for my 45.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>The previously posted photos of my 1900 S were pretty bad- I shot them in a rush with improper lighting (that really magnified all the imperfections). I shot better photos of the same coin in the slab this morning:

The coin looks more like these photos in hand- it's actually an attractive coin. All those little scratches are there, but barely visible unless bad lighting makes them pop. I suspect it has been dipped at some time, but not recently. I think a 53 grade is a bit harsh as well. >>

Mike! It still looks like a 53 to me! image
    Mike - Jack Beymer may grade like he's still in the '60's, but his pricing is 2015 and then some.
    And that's an awfully nice looking "only a 53" 96-O dime. Congrats.

Paesan - I agree 100%, our country's best times were the '60's. Certainly for the working man.

Pics for this AM, my favorite date barber dime:

Vern
    l

Vern ... I said only a 53, because I have been searching for another 58.
    My previous 58 now resides in Joe W's set. It's glued down and nothing
    will budge it out of his collection... No matter how much begging I'd have to do !! Lol

I like the AU you showed, very much. I'm bringing my 45 with me to Summer FUN
    and see if I can get my funds back out of it ( ex: JJ Teaparty ) .

With those funds, I'd like a nice MS Quarter - in mid range grade.

Btw, this is the 1700th post to the Part 3 Mega Thread !!

Happy 4th Everyone !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    93-S that I had for a long time. It was in a 20 holder when I bought it. I cracked it for aspirations of a dancso album at one time. Recently had it graded again and Jeff took a nice image of it for me.

I like it Justin image
    Mike - Joe W seems to be taking a hiatus from collecting.

Justin - Really nice toughie.

Pics for this AM, one from Doug's collection that may not have been seen here, PC58:

Vern
    l

Haven't spoken with Joe in awhile. He and his wife took a couple of vacations over the
    last few months. They have a couple of time sharing units and I believe they have been
    taking full advantage of them.

Joe's retirement and straightening up his company with his business partner has been
    occupying his time. This Fall, when he finally hangs up his accountant's Ledger Sheets,
    he'll be more involved, I'm sure. His collection is just about where he wants it to be. I
    don't think there are too many holes in any of his sets. I believe his Barbers are all com-
    plete. His other sets are as well. I think he might have one opening in his SLQ set. , but
    that's about it.

Picked Valente151 up last evening at the Ft Myers airport. His flight was diverted for over
    two hours due to another passenger having heart issues; they made an emergency stop in
    Charlestown, SC. He is not feeling well; needless to say, he's sleeping in. Last night my A/C
    went out. 95 today... The repair man came out at 11 PM, left at 12:30. The air was working
    perfectly when I finally went to bed. This AM, no A/C. The repair guy is due here within the hour.
    It screws up Valente151's and my project. But, it's unavoidable.

I love the 12-S Quarter. Oh, and Justin, that 1893-S Half is choice.
    That was the first date I bought after I sold off my better set 4 years ago. I
    find it in the same caliber as the 05-O for availability.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    A slow day on the Barber thread. I watched a movie over the weekend called "The Greatest Game Ever Played", about the 1913 U. S. Golf Open (on TV, from 2005). The opening of the movie features a 1906 S Barber Half Dollar (MS) that fills the screen and flips to show the obverse & reverse. It's pretty cool.

Has anyone else seen it?

Never saw that made for TV movie. Interesting that they'd show a 1906-S Half.
    One of my favorite dates, btw !

Has everyone else gotten an unsolicited PM from a new member
    about this 1913 Quarter in PCGS 61 ? He is making a Jack Sss of himself
    on another thread. Arrogant sob.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike...I saw the coin on the BST. If his pictures were not so bad it would be gone as I would have bought it if had a decent look...but it is butt ugly in his pictures! Obviously this is a teenager. I noticed he said he was ask his Dad to help him get a new camera set up!

Jeff....haven't seen that one either!
    Three days to go until FUN and I'm feeling kinda blah about it. Maybe catching a long afternoon nap might be a better idea.

Paesan
    This thread needs a dirty, worn coin.

<< <i>This thread needs a dirty, worn coin.

image >>

I used to own one that looked just like that!

The movie is a Disney movie (actors, not animated). It's a very good story in addition to featuring a Barber Half.
    Justin, Keep em' coming! Perfect VF look!
    Mike - Good to hear about Joe W.

Jeff - Not familiar with the movie. I like that beginning tho.

Paesan - You'll get fired up for FUN, I'm sure.

Justin - Another beauty.

Pics for this PM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Vern
    l
    A new raw Liberty Nickel arrived in my mail box today, an 1884:

I like the toning on this coin. Anybody care to offer a grading opinion? It will be off to our hosts for grading in a few weeks.
  • daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I too like the toning Jeff, nice coin.
    That's a tough one Jeff. My gut is a 62 but might 3. That's a pretty healthy gash in the center of the Rev.
    I was thinking 63 with a shot at 64. We're not too far off; the mark on the back is an issue. The MAN will tell the truth.
    I'll say 63. Although, I am out of my element on these.
    I'll second Daryl's opinion.
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern, I really like the images of the 04-O & 05-O Barber Quarters. As I continue the search I am now looking for MS61 - MS64 Barber Quarters, minimum marks with the look (better value). I found the attached 08 almost mark free with a nice light tone cover (sorry about the images). I thought I would also attach my AU58 O4-O and 05-O (with apologies for my images).

imageimage

Craig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file