Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Jeff,

Congratulations on an awesome project. It would be really cool if one day you could get a picture of you and the Iron Man standing by the display. I endured a similar project combining two of my sets into the shape of a Home Plate ( I was a catcher). Once again, congratulation!!!!!

James
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    That display looks sweet! Congrats on the major accomplishment, I'm sure that was a heck of a journey!
    Cal Ripken Collector

Always looking for MINT graded items, 90s inserts and random memorabilia.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeff,

I saw this in the other thread!
    It is georgeous! I love the letters on top!
    This was a really cool and creative idea you can enjoy for a long long time!

What do the cards sit in? Are they in protection or just sitting in there? >>

Thanks! I used Pro-Mold 120pt Real Thick Card Mini-Snap Tite Holders. They worked out really well.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Ripkenfan126 check your PM.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    A cool idea. really well executed.
  • Options

<< <i>Ripkenfan126 check your PM.

Kevin >>

x2 Sent you one image
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Can someone give me a idea of the "retail value" for a 1988 ChefBoyardee Cal Ripken Perforated PSA 9 ?
    I know it is a tough card and a condition rarity, but it has been a while since I tracked values on cards like this.
    Thanks for any help you can give!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    i seen a psa 8 sell a few years ago for 18.00. list it on ebay for buy it now with a high price and take offers, to see what people are willing to pay for it.
  • Options
    23 psa cards, sold as a lot....pm me if interested

1981983 FLEER STICKERS 7 / 5 HIGHER
    1061984 DONRUSS8
    891987 DONRUSS8
    -1987 M&M PANEL w/ G.BRETT7
    1761988 CLASSIC RED8 / 9 HIGHER
    41988 STAR - POST SEASON STATS (GLOSSY)8.5 / ONLY 8 – 1 HIGHER
    61988 STAR -1983 A.L. MVP (GLOSSY)8 / ONLY 8 - 1 HIGHER
    121988 STAR -THE FUTURE (GLOSSY)8 / ONLY 8 - NONE HIGHER
    4901991 FLEER8
    4311993 LEAF9
    401993 STADIUM CLUB 9
    231993 BOWMAN8
    5591993 DONRUSS10
    TC71993 UPPER DECK TRIPLE CROWN CONTENDER8
    31994 ULTRA CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD8 / 8 HIGHER
    191995 STAR RIPKEN 80 CAL RIPKEN 1985 SEASON8 / ONLY 8 - NONE HIGHER
    511995 STAR RIPKEN 80 CAL RIPKEN CAL AS A PINCH RUNNER8 / ONLY 8 - NONE HIGHER
    671995 STAR RIPKEN JR. 80 CAL RIPKEN JR.8 / ONLY 8 - 4 HIGHER
    691995 STAR RIPKEN 80 CAL RIPKEN CAREER BELIEVE IT OR NOT-18 / ONLY 8 - 2 HIGHER
    2741996 SCORE CHECKLIST8 / ONLY 8 - 11 HIGHER
    PN311998 UPPER DECK PRIME NINE -19898 / 2 HIGHER
    92000 FLEER CAL RIPKEN COLLECTION8 / 1 HIGHER
    12002 FLEER GREATS8 / 9 HIGHER
  • Options

<< <i>My fellow Ripken fans, I finally finished my framing project! Check it out on the main forum. image

image >>

I just found this thread and have to say that jersey frame is awesome! What a great framed display job!!
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    great display
  • Options
    Wow I don't know if anybody else saw the 85 topps psa 10 Ripken last night?
    It was nice to see that price go back up, the last couple sold for around 100-150$ . Last night it fetched $400.
  • Options
    Yep I had it on my watch list... nice to see! linky
  • Options
    Yeah, makes me consider selling mine, but don't really want to break my Topps set.

And I picked up some PSA 10s off a 4SC sale the other week, I still think the 1990 Learning Series is undervalued. He relisted another though so I wonder if he has multiples, but pop is low on it.

Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    If they can be found without the red thigh line then PSA should not grade them a 10 or at the least note it on the flip?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I won a group of Ripken PSA 10's that have no place in my vintage collection. Anyone need something from this list?

1986 Topps 340 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10
    1988 Topps 650 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10
    1989 Topps 250 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10
    1990 Topps 570 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10
    1995 Topps 588 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10

1986 Topps Glossy Set of 22 5 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10

1985 Donruss 169 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10
    1988 Donruss Baseball's Best 198 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10

and this....
    1983 Topps 163 Cal Ripken Jr BGS 10

1990 Topps Tiffany 570 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10 - gone to a good home in MD image
    1995 Bowman 413 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10 - gone to a good home in MD image
    (updated 3/20/15)

I'd love to sell them at a fair price, individually or as a lot. If interested, shoot me a reasonable offer. My only knowledge on value is ebay and VCP.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    Pm sent
  • Options
    Does anybody know who Gr8calOs is on the Ripken registry?
    Just trying to get in touch with him.

Thanks
  • Options
    Was anybody else watching the 1980 orange Ripken psa 4 tonight...

Sorry can't post the link..

The last few have sold for $8500 and up, tonight's only got $5002.

Very surprising... Do u guys think that was a fluke or is the price coming back down to where it should be?
  • Options

<< <i>Was anybody else watching the 1980 orange Ripken psa 4 tonight...

Very surprising... Do u guys think that was a fluke or is the price coming back down to where it should be? >>

My snipe didn't register but I was closer to the end price than I thought I'd be. I expected $5500-$6000, not sure where you are getting $8500 from? Last public sale was BVG 5.5 on 1/22/15 for $6400. So I expected the PSA 4 to be less and that seems about right.

The problem with this card is that it was at a peak in 2013. It was literally a holy grail then. You couldn't buy it even if you wanted to, there was zero available supply. And the PSA population was probably around 8 or so. Now you have the PSA 2 (which was bought at $6100) just sitting on eBay for months (over year at this point?) simply eroding away the value. And now there's a PSA 3 sitting out there too. Today, the PSA population is 14 I believe, meaning the graded supply has doubled. Increase in supply without a corresponding increase in demand (how many new Ripken collectors are showing up out of the blue?) = price goes down.

It's disappointing, because it appears than a good portion of the people buying these cards are speculators looking for a cash grab, not true Ripken fans. Since they have no attachment to the card, they are willing to let it sit and kill the value. In order for a grail to appreciate, it needs to go through droughts to increase demand. You can have the rarest card in the world, but if it is always available on eBay, people won't care about it.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Was anybody else watching the 1980 orange Ripken psa 4 tonight...

Very surprising... Do u guys think that was a fluke or is the price coming back down to where it should be? >>

My snipe didn't register but I was closer to the end price than I thought I'd be. I expected $5500-$6000, not sure where you are getting $8500 from? Last public sale was BVG 5.5 on 1/22/15 for $6400. So I expected the PSA 4 to be less and that seems about right.

I couldn't find the one 4 I was talking about. The last psa 5 sold for $12300 in March of 2014.

But yes I do agree. The psa 2 had been on eBay for a long time and now the 3 is up for sale.... It doesn't help with sales to have them available to buy. I still do believe it is a very rare card and overtime will increase in value again. A few more of these will prob pop up over the years but I can't imagine there are many more of them. Also it doesn't account if somebody cracks it out or if somebody sends in for a crossover to psa.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I couldn't find the one 4 I was talking about. The last psa 5 sold for $12300 in March of 2014.

But yes I do agree. The psa 2 had been on eBay for a long time and now the 3 is up for sale.... It doesn't help with sales to have them available to buy. I still do believe it is a very rare card and overtime will increase in value again. A few more of these will prob pop up over the years but I can't imagine there are many more of them. Also it doesn't account if somebody cracks it out or if somebody sends in for a crossover to psa. >>

>>

Not exactly, the PSA 5 sales were:

$15k, PSA 5, 12/14/13
    $12.3k, PSA 5, 3/25/14
    $11.6k, PSA 5, 10/30/14

You forgot about the October sales point. The direction of the trend is clear, down. Can't speculate about the far-far future, only what is happening today. And I don't see the downtrending ending until the available copies on eBay finally change hands too. As long as they sit, the down trend will continue.

Only exception is the PSA 7 and above, those aren't going down because they are premium grades. But the mid grades of PSA 4-5 will just follow the trend, and PSA 2 / 3 probably have little chance of selling outside of an auction. No one pays a BIN premium for a crap grade.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    I didn't watch it because I'm not in the market. Someday maybe.
  • Options
    I'm not a Ripken collector and I have these four low pop cards of his of which all are PSA 10.

I have it up on eBay at $55 starting auction.

If anyone on here is interested at $50 paypal gift, let me know. I'd love to have the money to spend on something else... anything else.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    Can't believe it, guess I'm just not meant to own that Ripken Police Issue.

That PSA 3 was at $5.5k BIN OBO, and the seller sold it privately for $100 more than my offer and never even countered me! WTF man.

Then it is immediately flipped the VERY NEXT DAY after it changed hands, and just closed at $4100. I have no regrets losing though at that value. Seems high to me on a PSA 3, I expected around $3.5k.

Though I will say I'm glad the 3rd place bidder (158) didn't win, because that's who won the PSA 4. Anyone know who that guy is? Looks like he was already trying to hoard these.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    Hey hows things goin? Havent been around in awhile, could not get logged on so just created another account.

Lots of oranges trading hands lately. Price is 1/2 of 2013 high point.
    Probably time to buy one if you've always wanted one.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey hows things goin? Havent been around in awhile, could not get logged on so just created another account.

Probably time to buy one if you've always wanted one. >>

Price is actually closer to 1/3... PSA 5 peaked at $15000 and last sale was about $5500.

Clearly the card was drastically overhyped and overinflated due to speculators. The speculators are being driven out of the market now and trying to cash out of the hot potatoes. I've had a legitimate bid on each of the Oranges this year... but to be honest, each successive listing is killing my interest level too.

I still feel the price is going to continue lower in the near term... too many trading hands too quickly and there's a new add on the PSA population report too. A PSA 1 showed up in the last couple of months, replacing the PSA 2 as the lowest. Its price is also dependent on being a multiple of the Blue and Blues are even more abundant and cheaper. You'll have to see oranges dry up completely for at least 6 months to a year before the price can begin to climb again.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    I still can't even sniff one at that price. I'll just spectate for now.
  • Options
    Wow, I would have won the BVG 5.5 but "Seller not accepting my bid?" I asked him two questions about how it would ship and he never answered. Something seemed suspicious about that one, hope it worked out for whoever won. But it only looks like a PSA 4 to me, so I hope no one was expecting a PSA 5 reslab.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options

<< <i>Wow, I would have won the BVG 5.5 but "Seller not accepting my bid?" I asked him two questions about how it would ship and he never answered. Something seemed suspicious about that one, hope it worked out for whoever won. But it only looks like a PSA 4 to me, so I hope no one was expecting a PSA 5 reslab. >>

I looked at both side by side [the psa 5 and the bvg 5.5] and how that one got a 5+ is beyond me.
    The psa 5 was much better edge and corner wise. I thought about bidding on the 5.5 but just didn't
    like the overall appearance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, I would have won the BVG 5.5 but "Seller not accepting my bid?" I asked him two questions about how it would ship and he never answered. Something seemed suspicious about that one, hope it worked out for whoever won. But it only looks like a PSA 4 to me, so I hope no one was expecting a PSA 5 reslab. >>

I looked at both side by side [the psa 5 and the bvg 5.5] and how that one got a 5+ is beyond me.
    The psa 5 was much better edge and corner wise. I thought about bidding on the 5.5 but just didn't
    like the overall appearance. >>

I didn't like it either, I bid more on the PSA 5. However, today was a 5x eBay Bucks day too image I had a bid above the end price and would have gotten 10% back in eBay bucks. Never hit anything that large before, but that would have been $450 if there isn't a cap on it. Makes it a bit more attractive despite the flaws.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    There is a cap of $100 I believe.

Have you noticed though that a few of the ones that have sold have been repeats. The bVG 5.5 I know I saw within the last year. The psa 2 has been up for a while, hasn't sold. And I could of sworn that the psa 5 sold a year and half ago.
    I just wonder if these are just the same ones re-circulating. I would love to know how many of these cards are really out there. I know there are like 23 graded copies, but I wonder if any of those have been crossed over to psa or cracked out.
  • Options
    I was one of the winners of the orange Ripken's that have been up recently.
    A card I have wanted to have for a long time.
    [URL=http://s8.photobucket.com/user/bigalbert2332/media/Scan_20151002.png.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Congrats man! Glad to see it go to a Ripken collector instead of a speculative flipper who would relist in a few months anyway. I feel obligated to bid on all of the ones that appear as well but just haven't landed one yet. Just seems odd how it has gone from "Holy Grail!!" status to appearing on eBay every few months. It got too overvalued too quickly and a lot of people were dumping the hot potato.

Since this thread is pretty dead, anyone notice the price activity on the PSA 10 Topps Traded? I've put that one off because I thought it was overvalued at $1200ish based on the population and several have broken into the $2000-$2100 range lately. Though I think the last one was around $1800 so maybe it has cooled off a bit.
    Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since this thread is pretty dead, anyone notice the price activity on the PSA 10 Topps Traded? I've put that one off because I thought it was overvalued at $1200ish based on the population and several have broken into the $2000-$2100 range lately. Though I think the last one was around $1800 so maybe it has cooled off a bit. >>

There should be buying opportunities again soon after the BBCE find (340 82TT sets in two sealed cases and 140 loose). I don't understand 10 prices being as high as they are with the current pop, much less soon to be higher.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    As backwards as it seems, sometimes an increase in population leads to a rise in realized values. I suppose more eyes seeing the card available led to more brains deciding they wanted it.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

I noticed someone had a complete Topps run of psa 10 Ripken cards for sale last week on ebay.
    I believe it went unsold.

• Options
    ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

In terms of rarity how about the 1985 Thom McAn discs. There are only 4 Ripkens graded

• Options

@bigalbert2 said:
    Hey hows things goin? Havent been around in awhile, could not get logged on so just created another account.

Probably time to buy one if you've always wanted one.

From September 2015... did seem like a good time to buy but I didn't get one. Was runner up on a couple.

@jonebone said:

Clearly the card was drastically overhyped and overinflated due to speculators. The speculators are being driven out of the market now and trying to cash out of the hot potatoes. I've had a legitimate bid on each of the Oranges this year... but to be honest, **each successive listing is killing my interest level too. **

I still feel the price is going to continue lower in the near term... too many trading hands too quickly and there's a new add on the PSA population report too. A PSA 1 showed up in the last couple of months, replacing the PSA 2 as the lowest. Its price is also dependent on being a multiple of the Blue and Blues are even more abundant and cheaper. You'll have to see oranges dry up completely for at least 6 months to a year before the price can begin to climb again.

Well, good things come to those who wait I suppose. Finally knocked off the holy grail and in a premier grade of PSA 6. Glad I missed out on the 3 and 4 a couple of years back (and missed out on bigalbert's 5), giving me the chance to get the 6. I'm pretty happy with what I paid but was worried I may have some buyer's remorse after watching the money transfer out, but none of that. All excitement and joy and no regrets.

Met the seller in person, he drove down locally and I transferred the funds in person. Had a nice chat reminiscing about our favorite Cal cards. His was the 1992 Elite and mine is the 1993 Finest Refractor. The Charlotte Police is definitely the grail, but the nostalgia of not being able to afford 1993 Finest Packs at card shows growing up always stuck with me. $25 dollar packs when the average was $3 was steep!

Anyways, here it is, happy to finally own it. Ironically it is a higher grade than my blue which is only PSA 5.

Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

SPAM ALERT

Just threw up a little bit, on ebay, my box bottom psa 8 at 99 cents

pity bids appreciated!~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Topps-n-Cal-Ripken-JR-Box-Bottom-panel-psa-8-just-2-higher-/262839515213?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

• Options

Nice job on the OJ there. I too think the Oj's are white whales. I been doing the Ripken (rookie) registry, but stopped in my steps with the prices of the Topps Traded. So, it be sitting until it comes back down.
    Meanwhile, here is my Oj I got around last yr or so:

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    Nice job on the OJ there. I too think the Oj's are white whales. I been doing the Ripken (rookie) registry, but stopped in my steps with the prices of the Topps Traded. So, it be sitting until it comes back down.
    Meanwhile, here is my Oj I got around last yr or so:

Sweet, congrats! I noticed that a PSA1 had popped up over the last year or so, was that one that you obtained raw or did you buy it already slabbed? Care to share the story?

I also have sat out the PSA10 Topps Traded, pretty high in population yet the price keeps climbing. I have lots of other hobbies to hold me over in the meantime, but may finally add that one down the road. I have all of the minor league cards (varying grades) and his other 3 rookies (PSA 10), just need that one.

Cal Ripken Collector

• Options
    thesouthdoesitagainthesouthdoesitagain Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2017 7:41AM

I got the OJ from another collector (that I believe he may sent in raw) The guy may be a board member on here now, but at the time, I found him elsewhere on another board. --I will contact him and see his story.
    As for the RC's- yeah mine are PSA 10's, I got 3 of the 4. but the Topps Traded.
    Ripken was one of my most collected players when I started in the 90's, along with the other steroid guys. I stopped collecting in I think after the Braves World Series era. I started back up 3-4 yrs ago and obtaining cards I always wanted.

• Options

Follow-up story on my OJ- I contacted the previous owner and here it is:

Hi, Glad you still like the card. Story goes like this. The card was purchased raw by my Father, who passed away Dec of 2014. I had no idea he had the card before Mom gave me a stack of cards stored in his desk with the Ripken in it. When and where he got it from I can only speculate, Mom had also no idea. However, I believe that he purchased from a small shop located in Nashville, IN. I believe this because they would, on occasion, do a weekend get away and I knew he would stop by there. At first I didn't know what we had as I don't have much interest in minor league cards. I had it graded about a month before you purchased it. That's pretty much it. Hope this adds to its history. Thanks for making contact. Scott

• Options

Thanks for sharing the story, sad to hear about his father passing but it provides more history of the card. Strange how it may have ended up in Nashville, IN. I also wouldn't have much of an interest in minor league cards if it weren't for their historical significance, and their sheer scarcity compared to his mass produced cards. Getting a Blue one is an accomplishment in its own right, and owning an Orange Police issue is truely a remarkable feat!

Cal Ripken Collector

• Options

I just saw a OJ BVG 5.5 in a auction SWEET!!!!

• Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    I just saw a OJ BVG 5.5 in a auction SWEET!!!!

Link? I didn't see it on eBay?

Cal Ripken Collector

• Options

^^^Sent ya a PM. Its not on Ebay. But a Auction House.

• Options

Still waiting for prices to drop on the 82 Traded. They have come off slightly fro the 2500+ plateau, back to the 2k mark.
    Probstein & PWCC sold a few below 1800 range, last one being 1758.88, 1725, 1783.88 on June22.
    Lelands had one for 1886.00 and Heritage had one 2,040.00 on June29th
    Maybe this is a trend moving back down I hope.

ALERT!!!!
    1980 Charlote ORANGE on Ebay --PSA 2 6382.16 or BestOffer
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cal-Ripken-Jr-1980-Police-ORANGE-Border-Charlotte-Os-PSA-2-Baltimore-Orioles-/162557071819?hash=item25d92811cb:g:tw8AAOxydUJTMzBK