Home Precious Metals

2014 Best Investment Ideas - FINAL RESULTS

WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
Post your picks for the best investment ideas for 2014!

Post your picks for standard, trackable, fungible securities with published prices before the calendar changes to 2014, and let them run throughout the year. The goal is highest % increase in one calendar year. One entry per person. Post them here or send a PM. For those of you who pick something where a quote isn’t readily available on Yahoo! Finance, please post a link or website where it can be tracked. Examples from the 2013 contest would include Greek 10 year bonds and Live Cattle. A prime example for 2014 would be bitcoins, as I am assuming at least one person will include that in their portfolio.

Same rules as last year. We'll start with a $9,000 portfolio (since it is evenly divisble by 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.).

To keep the list managable, try to limit yourself to 3 or at most 4 picks (naturally, performance of both good and bad picks will be "diluted" by diversification from more than one pick).

We'll assume even division among the assets, if more than one is chosen, unless some other proportion is specified before the deadline.

You need to advise me when a split or dividend happens.

We'll track the picks periodically throughout the year. I will commit to at least one update per calendar month. I would like to do it more often, but can’t guarantee that.

At the end of the contest, I will donate a 1 oz silver bar, ASE, etc. to the person with the lowest portfolio balance.

Here's to a profitable year, Have fun! My guess is the 2014 winner will be north of a 150% return.

*NO naked puts.

Comments

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    thanks Wings!

long -SLV

short -NFLX

split 50% each

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Short Amazon at $384.24. 23 shares assuming that we cannot margin the trade.
  • vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Long - GHDX 100% of the portfolio.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Never participated, so I hope it's ok:

60%: Visa (V)
    40%: Disney (DIS)
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *NO naked puts.

imageimage

Just a thought....it would be A LOT easier for you if you just allowed one idea per person.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>*NO naked puts. >>

There ain't no one I want to see naked in this pool

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Twitter 75%
    Facebook 25%

Probably not the smartest play but interesting to see what it might do for the heck of it. I like throwing darts.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • I will go 100% physical Silver. use kitco close end of December 2013
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2014 will be a turn around for 2 of my picks.....that's what my swami informs me image

I'll stick with the same list of characters for 2014, fortunately, I only own 1 of them. Even spit between: CLCT, FCSMF & AGQ

Thanks, Jerry
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 20% Silver (Kitco Year End)
    15% Gold (Kitco Year End)
    30% Tower Group International (TWGP)
    35% Bank of America (BAC)
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CNKEF
    MAUXF
    EIRL

Thanks!
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it the imaginary purchase of all selections will be at Jan. 1 prices?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    I take it the imaginary purchase of all selections will be at Jan. 1 prices?

Affirmative.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I think Zillow will continue to rise after a phenomenal year, they still have so much room to grow. Also if Mart Resources (MAUXF) finishes getting their pipeline built and flowing oil then I think their share price will nearly triple. It's more aggressive then I would do in real life, but for the game I will go:

$6000 in MAUXF (all dividends reinvested)
    $3000 in Z
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Wingsrule is covering the Lowest Portfolio Balance. I will cover the Highest Portfolio Balance with a 1 oz ASE.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, it's a game.

30% TTT

30% GDXJ

20% <short> TSLA

20% <short> TWTR
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Same as last year... 100% WFT

With 1/3rd of the company for sale, I'm gambling big that they actually figure out which parts of the company are profitable before they are sold, as opposed to after.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% WMIH.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    100% bitcoin
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    1/4 TZA
    1/4 FB (SHORT)
    1/4 AGQ
    1/4 Bitcoin (SHORT)

Thanks!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Put my whole $9k in BBRY

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    50% NNVC
    50% ONVO
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Hummmm...stayed around #15 in the forum picks last year. but I'll give it another go.

40% AMZN
    60% AXP
  • I'll repeat my incredibly dull pick of PERM (100%).

The curious can do a search on "permanent portfolio" to understand the concept and the history. PERM did poorly in 2013. However, since the idea was hatched in the 1970s, a balanced portfolio of 25% each in cash, U.S. stocks, U.S. bonds, gold has done relatively well.

• TRQ: 75%
    TSLA: 25%
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    DDD - 50%
    URG - 50%
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Thanks very much for your willingness to conduct the contest again in 2014, Wingsrule!

Please enter me with 100% of my portfolio consisting of ARIA (Ariad Pharmceuticals).

Good luck and Happy New Year to all!

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25% ddd
    25% acad
    25% bidu
    25% v

Thanks!
    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Ok - let's give it a go.

25% each in SLV, WTI, RGR, TGM-V

Thanks for your willingness to keep this going.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

IBM re-inv/dividens
    SVM Silvercorp Metals Inc
    GALE -Galena Biopharma Inc.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I take it the imaginary purchase of all selections will be at Jan. 1 prices?

Affirmative. >>

A very successful and top notch numismatic collector and customer recently told me he had all of his money out of the stock market last year. It was a large sum of money sitting on the sidelines. He didn't trust gold, silver, coins or the stock market.
    In this game, I'll wait a week before making my selection. ( though I'm still entertaining the thought of 100 % JCP ) image it's the gambler in me, not the shopper. >>

...........told me he had all of his money out of the stock market last year

There were a lot of people who were like this.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    My bet for 2014 is the penny stock AOBI, all 9K in, a moon shot.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's do:
    75% CDTI
    25% BAC
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the work you put into this Wings.

1/3 OXYS
    1/3 KWK
    1/3 TTPH
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Just over 24 hours left to pick your entries. Post them here or send a PM. Entries due 11:59 pm Eastern 12/31/13.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30% JCP
    70% ICLD
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    35% HRB

50% SNH

15% <short> HUM
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To play or not to play, that is the question.
    Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the pumps and dumps of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of irrefutable trolls...
    And by opposing... end them.

I find this fitting as I write this and ponder the consequences of my actions, or inaction this year of 2013.

One year ago, down to this very day I was debating whether or not I should participate in this Contest fully knowing my choice for the winner, and the Stubborn loser that we sometimes find it so very hard to let go.

Three simple letters... I had all but made up my mind to allot the entire sum to them, but a part of me held onto the sure bet at the time... how could I not, with the many forums abuzz about the "Greatest wealth transfer in history" , "Crash JP Morgan" , "Look what I just bought", and "Mmmm Shiny Good, $ Bad" I had at least wanted to put 10% of this fantasy money into the Devils Metal.

I was all set to participate, but as the clock struck midnight I found myself to late...

What the heck though right? I've never participated in the past, whats one more year right? Right??

The three letters... if you guessed BTC, you're right.

90% BTC and 10% XAG as I had made my mind up. BTC (Bitcoin) also known as XBT to some, very similar to our Precious Metals trading acronyms.

Unbeknownst to the forum, I actually did purchase Bitcoin at the beginning of the year, only to experience the wildest ride of my adult life thus far. Not in the way that you may think, in fact the opposite, figuratively and literally. O the slings and arrows of life. I guess it only gives you what you can handle though, and for good reason.

As for this Crypto-Currency, I was forced to comprehend something that I had know idea about, and for every mistake I made, I wanted to know more... I delved as deep as I could without any proper training. I listened to some of the most piss poor guidance in the beginning :/ untill I found myself standing all alone...And I still pressed on.

Frankly I don't know why I am here typing this if not for me to get this off my chest. After all, this has literally been in my mind ALL YEAR and to visit this thread and write my experience....however seeing that my cursor has already spanned 1/4th of the page I'll save the bulk of that story for another day.

May sound Cliche' but as I wave good bye to this chapter in my life and usher in the next I have very high hopes and I plan to live up to them, as I encourage everyone to.

just gettung ready...

It's all about what the people want...

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    100% Bitcoin short.

I wouldn't do it with real money, but taking a shot by going all in on the short.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GDX Jan 2015 $21 calls.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    LONG: .40, .223 and .45

Short: 10mm
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

60% USLV
    40% UGLD...

I hope to better last year bath! image
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2/3 MDR
    1/3 NUAN

Thanks WR…………………..Happy and Prosperous NEW YEAR to all

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    ASH
    ATK
    GDXJ

50%, 50%, & 25%. I need a handicap to compete with the stock pros.

Rules? Oh, I forgot. Equal amounts then.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year was a lot of fun, thanks to Wingsrule for keeping track for a third year,

I'll go with half and half:

XON Jan 2015 Calls $15 strike price, XON150117C00015000

HALO Jan 2015 Calls $15 strike price, HALO150117C00015000

good luck to all

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% NUGT. After last year....the only way is up.

I like Cohodk's choice. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold