Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I just checked the upcoming schedule. They won't win another game between now and the All Star break. Hell, they might now win another game in July. >>

if they do win a game between now and the all star break, you should make a promise not to post here for a month. As far as blowing up the team, this is the SAME TEAM that was winning the world series less than a year ago. Way to be overdramatic.

I can't be alone in despising spoiled, entitled fans like WTCG who think that any year that doesn't end in a world series win is a failure and every bad streak is cause for blowing up the team. Don't expect a lot of sympathy from any other team's fans, not with winning 2 of the last 3 world series. >>

Let me guess...you're the type of parent who throws their kids parties if they go through one entire school day without tripping over themselves. Finish high school in four years? Yep, that's worth a week long celebration. Ok, you have lower expectations for everything but that's your problem.

Whatever the same team did last year they are 10-19 since June 1. That's one of the worst records in baseball (maybe the worst. I didn't check) for the month of June. The team is in last place in the division, they finished tonight's game without a single hit and they are 1-9 in their last 10 games. They have scored 1 run or less in 4 of the last 5 games. If you think the team is fine despite all that you are out of your mind.

Again, the SAME TEAM from last year is in LAST PLACE. Even if your team is the defending championship team, everybody else is getting better and your team needs to as well. You do not live in the past. You remember the past but play for the future.

Never mind the postseason. They first need to find a way to win more than one game out of every ten.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTCG, your melodramatic hyperbole is a great comedic contrast to digicat's objective analysis of the state of the Giants in this thread. Keep up the good work!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>WTCG, your melodramatic hyperbole is a great comedic contrast to digicat's objective analysis of the state of the Giants in this thread. Keep up the good work! >>

Well, the team is in last place in the division, 1-9 in their last 10 games, has the worst record in the league in June and go no-hit today. Never mind me, the team has provided plenty of fodder. I'm just voicing the thoughts of the angry majority.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>It would make 1/3 of the team fan base jump wagon and land in the A's ride, at least for a few months. >>

I'm surgically attached to the Giants bandwagon and have been for years. If the Giants go out with a whimper, I might look across the Bay and see how the A's are doing. They're long removed from the despicable team of the "Bash Brothers" who squished the Giants in the 1989 WS.

I'm not a fan of putting up the white flag yet. I guess I need to be abused more.

Anyways...

C = Posey. He's here forever.
    1b = Belt. Lots of upside, still developing.
    2b = Scutaro. Playing hurt again. Abreu can fill in for him.
    SS = Crawford. Stopped hitting. Not sure what to do about him. Slick D, bad O.
    3b = Sandoval. Dude's lost it completely. He's no longer performing like any sort of professional athlete. Can't hit, can't throw, can't field, can't run. Move him to the DL for broken confidence and unhealthy weight.

OF = Giants need a bat to stabilize the OF. I don't know what Pence's issue is, but I don't think he'll suck all year. Torres and Blanco are good in a platoon, but not when they're both out there.

Bench
    Perez = OF. No O. Get Brown up and have him start.
    Abreu = IF. Good O. Keep.
    Hector = C. Dump. Dude can't hit. Bring Johnny Monell up from AAA if we need a backup catcher who can hit a little.
    Quiroz = C. Backup catcher. Not much more than that.
    Arias = IF. When he's starting, he can hit. However, his hitting doesn't replace the thump we used to get from Sandoval, so if we play him at 3rd, we need an upgraded bat at another position.

Those are just internal moves they could make. Maybe if they targeted a legit LF bat they could replace some of the pop Pablo once had. I don't expect Pagan to be back this year.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    I don't know what the deal is, but it just seems like Blanco, Crawford, Sandoval and Torres all haven't gotten a hit in the last week. Scutaro is getting hits here and there but he has no power. Pence is just inconsistent. Some days he's great but then again he's a strikeout machine. Posey is the only consistent source of offense in that lineup. It doesn't work when only 1 or 2/9 batters can can hit when the rest can't.

In fact, what are Crawford, Sandoval and Blanco hitting collectively in the last 5 games? I swear they seem like they're a combined 1-60 or something like that over the last two series.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Let me guess...you're the type of parent who throws their kids parties if they go through one entire school day without tripping over themselves. Finish high school in four years? Yep, that's worth a week long celebration. Ok, you have lower expectations for everything but that's your problem.
    >>

No, pal, but I've checked your twitter feed. I have YET to see a single congratulatory, positive tweet, even dating back to when the Giants won the world series! You're the worst kind of fan, in that you can't even take joy when the team does well. You are obviously much happier when the team is playing poorly so you have something to cry about.

<< <i>Whatever the same team did last year they are 10-19 since June 1. That's one of the worst records in baseball (maybe the worst. I didn't check) for the month of June. The team is in last place in the division, they finished tonight's game without a single hit and they are 1-9 in their last 10 games. They have scored 1 run or less in 4 of the last 5 games. If you think the team is fine despite all that you are out of your mind. >>

No, I didn't say the team was 'fine', and if you'd bothered to read any other quotes you'd see I put forward the team needs to bring up Brown from the minors and acquiring Garza.

<< <i>Again, the SAME TEAM from last year is in LAST PLACE. Even if your team is the defending championship team, everybody else is getting better and your team needs to as well. You do not live in the past. You remember the past but play for the future.

Never mind the postseason. They first need to find a way to win more than one game out of every ten. >>

But even THIS SAME TEAM from last year you couldn't even find cause to cheer for. I'm sorry that you take absolutely no joy when the team performs well. You are the guy who likely complains when the team wins for not winning by enough runs. You LIVE for the negative. Speaking of kids, if you have any, I weep for them.

<< <i>But even THIS SAME TEAM from last year you couldn't even find cause to cheer for. I'm sorry that you take absolutely no joy when the team performs well. You are the guy who likely complains when the team wins for not winning by enough runs. You LIVE for the negative. Speaking of kids, if you have any, I weep for them. >>

I'm jealous of the easy ride your kids are getting. It's easy street because dad doesn't care if you're the weak link on your little league team. Dad doesn't care if you end up in juvy. Dad doesn't care if you flunk out of 8th grade, because it's the "effort" that counts and you "tried", right? Boy are they in for a rude awakening when they reach adulthood. I have standards. My kids will be laughing at yours when they're running the show while yours are holding a mop.

The fact that the team is in last place in their weak division is enough said. Won the World Series last year? That was great but this is 2013 and in the 2013 season they are currently in last place, got no-hit and have lost twice as many games as they've won in the last month. Sure they earned the right to be called defending champions but at this time they hardly resemble champions. And worse yet, it's the SAME TEAM from last year.

Trading for Garza would help but what does this team have to trade for Garza or anybody worth mentioning?

As for the post game comments by Bochy and the team, it's the same rhetorical excuse game after game. They've acknowledged the problems, now it's time to fix them before it's too late.

<< <i>Trading for Garza would help but what does this team have to trade for Garza or anybody worth mentioning? >>

A few posts ago I listed the trades the Giants have made in contending years. The only time they had to give up a primo prospect was when they were trading for an all-star. Garza's no all-star. Garza's not even elite. He's right about average. Unless other teams are willing to hand over major league position players or pitchers, I see Garza costing some A or AA pitchers, since they seem to be the coin of the realm.

Anyways, check this out. Remember their names, because they will be either trade-bait or the future of this org.

Top 10 Giants prospects, as of July 1.

<< <i>

<< <i>Trading for Garza would help but what does this team have to trade for Garza or anybody worth mentioning? >>

A few posts ago I listed the trades the Giants have made in contending years. The only time they had to give up a primo prospect was when they were trading for an all-star. Garza's no all-star. Garza's not even elite. He's right about average. Unless other teams are willing to hand over major league position players or pitchers, I see Garza costing some A or AA pitchers, since they seem to be the coin of the realm.

Anyways, check this out. Remember their names, because they will be either trade-bait or the future of this org.

Top 10 Giants prospects, as of July 1. >>

Thanks for the link. The top prospect list is heavy with pitchers but unfortunately there isn't one particular pitcher or position player who stands out. Looks like every one has some form of glaring weakness or recently went through a cold spell.

Eric Surkamp's numbers look pretty good since he's been back, but whether those numbers translate into success in the majors is unknown.
    No, there are no can't-miss prospects in the Giants system. If there were, they'd be in SF already.

Crick is the closest thing right now, and he's being called "Cain 2.0" by some.

Still, teams love to gamble on minor league pitchers. Giants have been using those kinds of guys as trade chips for years.

An improvement...they got a few hits tonight.

<< <i>An improvement...they got a few hits tonight. >>

Posey didn't break his ankle and Matt Cain didn't get his head cracked open by a stray foul ball in the dugout. Gotta take inventory of the positives. image

And Zito only gave up 1 ER in the 4 innings he pitched. I was expecting a 3.2 IP 8 ER type of night from him.
    Crick struck out 10 batters in 6 innings for San Jose today. While he gave up 3 runs as well, he's been dominant over his 6 starts.

Crick has 40 strikeouts and 14 walks in 24.2 innings pitched in San Jose this year. He's been in 6 games, but his workload has been kept short due to his coming back from an oblique strain.

Giants didn't lose today! That saves Lincecum from having to get paired up with Kershaw again. Gaudin gets the honors this time.

Anyways, I'm going to show off my baseball cards now, since they're a little more exciting than the product on the field right now. Rookie cards for the Giants starting pitchers this weekend:
    Cain = 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft, Gold Refractor #/50
    Bumgarner = 2007 Bowman Sterling Prospects, Black Refractor, #/25, autographed
    Gaudin = 2003 Leaf Certified Materials, Mirro Blue, #/50, autographed

imageimageimage

Giants optioned Perez back to Fresno and purchased the contract of Fresno outfielder Cole Gillespie. Gillespie was in the mix for the last roster spot during spring training, but the Giants opted to go with an extra infielder (Noonan) than an extra outfielder.

Anyways, in Fresno he's been so-so. In June he hit .256/309/.407 with 3 homers. For the year, he's .277/.361/.455 with 7 homers.

He's starting in left tonight too, btw.

So, this guy, in the eyes of the Giants management, is the man who can help the team. Brown and Kieschnick? No, they can't help, according to the Giants.

2007 Bowman Sterling Prospects Black Refractor, Autographed #/25

Different day, same disgusting humiliation. I hope nobody in the stands paid more than 28 cents for their tickets tonight because that's all the on field product is worth right now.

28 cents? No goddamn way. The team should be paying people to endure this garbage.

In the process Cain has turned into Lincecum. Cain sucked. No, he actually he did a great job throwing batting practice to the Dodgers.

I'll go ahead and congratulate the Dodgers for their series sweep.

Rock bottom? Hardly. Last time I said I didn't think the team would win another game before the All Star break. Now I don't think they'll win another game this month.

Too bad Most fans are the apologist types, still thinking about 2012. If this was any other city they would be throwing batteries at the home dugout by now.
    And why is it the Dodgers can score runs in every inning while the Giants get runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and can't do squat?

And God forbid they make opposing pitchers have to throw more than 9 pitches an inning.
    While watching some old Mythbusters episodes tonight (instead of the game, which was over in the 3rd), we ended up watching an episode that featured Matt Cain. They were testing to see if it was possible to throw a needle through a sheet of glass w/o shattering it. Cain managed to shatter and damage glass by throwing needles at around 100 - 113 mph, but didn't get the needle to punch through in a clean hole. The episode was from late last year.

Word is that the Giants and Dodgers have standing offers in to the Marlins for Nolasco.

Dodgers are offering 1 pitching prospect plus taking on all of Nolasco's salary.
    Giants are offering 2 pitching prospects but want money to help pay Nolasco.

If I were Sabean, I'd yank that offer away ASAP.

One of the beat writers suggests that if the Giants tank the rest of this half, it Sabean should put Lopez, Pence, and Lincecum on the block and see who knocks.

Last time the Giants did a trade like this, it was in 2008 when they traded Ray Durham to the Brewers for minor leaguers Steve Hammond (who never saw the majors) and Darren Ford (who is known for that run he scored against the Rockies in 2010).

I love that Puig's all star chances are in the hands of Bochy. Please, do the right thing, and keep him OUT of the all star game. Sorry, but a guy with 5-6 weeks of playing time hasn't earned the all star game.
    If the season ended today, they'd get the 9th pick in next year's draft.

If the Giants are going to bomb this year, I say go all out and see if we can't get a top 5 pick.

<< <i>Word is that the Giants and Dodgers have standing offers in to the Marlins for Nolasco.

Dodgers are offering 1 pitching prospect plus taking on all of Nolasco's salary.
    Giants are offering 2 pitching prospects but want money to help pay Nolasco.

If I were Sabean, I'd yank that offer away ASAP. >>

Dodgers just upped their offer to 3 non-elite prospects. I assume the willingness to absorb all of Nolasco's salary is still on the table too.

I'd rather the Giants pass. The only way to beat this offer would be to offer an elite prospect (e.g. Crick, Blackburn, Brown) or offer 4 low-end prospects.

This can only end badly if the Giants play to win Nolasco.

Buster, MadBum, and Scoot made the All Star team. This is Bumgarner and Scutaro's first AS game.

Via the Wall of Fame rules (5 seasons as a Giant + AS selection; 9 seasons as a Giant), this secure's Bumgarner's place on the Wall.

I figured he'd bring Romo with him too, but I guess when your team is in last place and your closer has only pitched in 9 games since June 1st, there's no point.

So when's the parade? This win felt as elusive as the 2010 title. That's pretty sad.

No big surprises for the All Stars although I didn't expect Bumgarner to make it. I thought Romo would for sure.
    Bumgarner's not sharing in the slump that's dragging down the rest of the rotation. Glad he's going to be here for a long time.

Plus, now the Giants aren't in last place anymore!

Dodgers won the bidding for Nolasco. I don't know anything about the Dodgers farm system, but here's an analysis of the trade.

Summary, Dodgers gave up very little. This wouldn't have cost the Giants Crick or Blackburn, or any regarded prospect.

And after a day's reprieve, the sucking continues. If it isn't one thing it's another. If it isn't bad pitching it's no offense and if the pitching is better and they score a run or two then it's bad fielding to scud the game.

Today's outing should be enough to disqualify Romo from taking a fill in spot in the All Star game. Being in 4th place right now is a privilege. They really deserve to be in last place.
    Whole game seemed to be designed by the Dodgers to ambush Romo in the 9th. After yesterday's game, Romo did Hanley's "I see you" gesture at him while the Giants shook hands on the field after the game. Mattingly must have held a team meeting and told everyone to hold back until Romo took the mound, then let him have it.

Ironic, yesterday after being told he was making his 1st all star team, Bum found an extra 3 mph on his fastball and blew the Dodgers away with it.

Today after being told he'd make his 1st all star team, Romo blew a save.

Still, Posey's got a lot of the blame. Double play grounder hit to him that bounced off his glove, then he threw it away when trying to flip it to 2nd. Instead of bases-empty with 2 outs, it was runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs.

Cursory look at the pitch totals and it's obvious the Giants hitters are pressing. Torres sees 9 pitches total in 3 at bats, Gillespie 6 and Quiroz 8. The all star break can't get here soon enough for these guys. Bochy has got to get it through these hitters' heads that they need to practice patience and not try to win the game with each pitch. I did have to love Puig getting a golden sombrero yesterday though, made Bochy's decision to leave him off the all star ballot all the more sweet.

The second half is going to be interesting. If the hitters can come around I think the pitching is good enough to follow suit.
    I still don't get the Gillespie call-up. Seems like Brown would have been a better weapon.

edit to add: today was baseball card team set day at AT&T Park. Every year they release a pack with a Giants team set of Topps cards, co-branded with some other sponsor. In the past it's been Mother's Cookies, Keebler, Emerald Nuts, and now it's Chevron.

Anyways, I was surprised that there's a Cole Gillespie card in the set. Dude just got called up on Friday! I was disappointed that they didn't have a Sandy Rosario card. He's been solid for the Giants and does not yet have a major league baseball card.

Joaquin Arias to the DL after an emergency appendectomy. Noonan back up.

Arias was one of the team's better hitters (.322 avg) when he got tapped to make regular starts after Panda went on the DL. So, unless Abreu can play some 3rd, it's gonna be sink-or-swim with Panda, and he's looking like a rock right now.

Zack Wheeler's scheduled to face off against Lincecum for Wednesday's game. Wheeler said "maybe I'll show them what they could have had."

Wow, Giants held a lead for 4 innings before giving it back. PROGRESS!

And after 16 innings, stranding what seemed like two dozen runners on base...the trainwreck continues. Home, away, hot, cold, playing good teams, playing bad teams, makes no difference. They still leave the game as losers. Makes no difference which team they play. They suck against them all.

3 whole runs on 13 hits? Other ball clubs score at least 8 runs on 13 hits, usually more. And if it isn't the wretched offense, it's bad fielding that torpedoes everything.

Tonight it was one hapless team against another hapless team. One garbage team against another garbage team and somehow they end up as the worse of the two garbage teams.

I have an early flight to catch tomorrow. I wasted several good hours of sleep just to end up watching things turn out as expected. Nobody's fault except mine. Good grief.
    "And so it goes for the Giants." - Jon Miller

On the bright side, Giants signed AAAA outfielder Jeff Francoeur to a minor league deal to add another player to their pool of mediocre platoon outfielders. If and when he gets called up, he'll likely displace Gillespie, who's done more harm than good in his short time in SF.

Ironic how far down this team has gone. A few weeks ago a Giants beat writer brought up Francoeur's name and he got scrunched up faces of disgust from the Giants brass. Now, he's a Giant.

Reminds me of a dog I saw at the stable my wife's aunt kept her horse. The dog would run around nosing in fresh horse crap, gobbling up undigested morsels he found.

Oh well, maybe he'll go all 2010 Pat Burrell or something. Maybe seeing everyone around him with World Series rings will make him want one.

Jeff Francoeur signed instead of trading for a legit outfielder? Oh boy. Last thing the team needs is another position player who can't hit. That's basically everybody in the lineup not named Scutaro or Posey.

<< <i>Jeff Francoeur signed instead of trading for a legit outfielder? Oh boy. Last thing the team needs is another position player who can't hit. That's basically everybody in the lineup not named Scutaro or Posey. >>

"...we’re not capable of making a series of moves—we can’t take on that much money or give up that many prospects. What we don’t want to do is forsake the future for something that might be looking like a bad penny year at this point." - Brian Sabean

Bunch of roster changes today...

Hector Sanchez to the DL with a right shoulder strain (when that's all healed up he'll resume his assault on Barry Bonds HR record, only 760 to go!).
    Cole Gillespie DFA'ed (0-fer call up, game over).

Kickham called back up (hope he didn't unpack his bag when he got to Fresno)
    Kensuke Tanaka (2b, OF) contract purchased.

You may remember Kensuke Tanaka from spring training, he was the guy who was making all those errors. Anyways, he was hitting ok in Fresno. No power, but a selective hitter (more walks than Ks) and puts the ball in play. He still managed to commit 15 fielding errors in Fresno though. One of those came as an outfielder.

Kickham will provide long-relief since the bullpen's still got smoke coming off it from last night.
    I don't know what they're going to use Tanaka for. Maybe Sabean ordered some new DFA forms and wants to use up the rest of the old ones. IDK anymore.

edit to add:

Oooohhhh, Tanaka's starting in LF tonight! In his 14 year pro career, Tanaka has stood in the outfield exactly 16 times. 7 games in Japan, 9 games in Fresno this year.

If we're that desperate, why didn't we sign Manny Ramirez when he was available?

edit to add further:
    What's insane is that Tanaka was an elite defensive 2nd baseman in Japan, winnning a string of 5 Gold Gloves ('06-'10) and being voted as being the best all-round 2nd baseman in the entire Japaneese league 4 times in the past 7 years, and was the team captain of a team that's won 4 pennant (and 1 championship) since 2006. Tanaka was the Pacific League's Derek Jeter, but with a better glove.

When looking for someone to be the X factor (e.g. the 2010 Pat Burrell), I think Tanaka's resume puts him light-years ahead of Francouer. Tanaka has had success. Francouer's career has been one of utter disappointment.

Here's my Tanaka rookie card from his NPB days. No MLB card yet, but I'll get one if they ever make one. Funny thing is that I jumped the gun on Tanaka and Gillespie early in spring training and picked up their cards expecting them to make the team. While they both failed to make the team out of ST, they eventually made it. I kinda suspect that Tanaka will stick around a little longer than Gillespie did.

The game, well, as Jon Miller says: "So it goes for the Giants."

Matt Cain's day is over. 0.2 ip, 3 runs on 2 hits and 3 walks, 1 so, 36 pitches.

Shortest outing of Matt Cain's career.

Now it's Kickham vs the guy who would be pitching for the Giants right now if he never got traded for Beltran.

LOL, the little Gameday "scout" notes just popped up with "That was pitch number 15 for Mike Kickham; his effectiveness may start slipping, as he holds opposing hitters to a .091 average in the first 15 pitches but they hit .405 off him after that."

I'm on the East Coast and I haven't been on the Internet since yesterday so did Matt Cain get hurt or did he just turn into Lincecrap V2.0? Kickham hasn't been remotely close to ever winning a game and I don't see today being any different.

Now the question is...are the Giants going to win 50 games all season? Right now I doubt it.

Maybe today's the day Zack Wheeler throws his first complete game shutout. Hell, even Brandon League could shut out this team.

Too bad fans buy game tickets far in advance. Given the nature of the Bay Area they keep this up and next season they'll average 7500 a game.
    #Questfor50

Yeah, it's sad.
    Marlon Byrd is on pace for a career year. He was suspended for PEDs last season. Curious.

And, on another topic, it's been reported that Chad Gaudin is a pervert. Dude's been charged for an incident where, in an emergency room while drunk, he started feeling up a woman who laying on a stretcher then got belligerent when told by doctors, nurses, and security to stop.

With a loss today, the Giants will fall to 3rd worst in the NL, and 7th worst in MLB.

It'll take some effort to chase the Marlins out of the bottom of the NL cellar, but from the looks of things, they might just do that.

Kickham's given up 4 runs in 5.1 innings of work. That helped lower his ERA. image

I just saw that Gaudin story. Strange. Some guys have hospital fantasies but those usually involve sexy nurses, not women on stretchers.
    When a team falls on seriously hard times, they get nice draft positioning. The Giants have had nice draft positions in the past. Lets see how they turned out...

2009 draft, pick #6 = Zack Wheeler. Oops, Giants just got kicked in the nuts by that guy today.
    2008 draft, pick #5 = Buster Posey. Awesome.
    2007 draft, pick #10 = Madison Bumgarner. Great pick.
    2006 draft, pick #10 = Tim Lincecum. Awesome for a few years.

1997 draft, pick #4 = Jason Grilli. Yes, the current closer for the Pirates. We picked him 4th.
    1996 draft, pick #6 = Matt White. He found a loophole and declared free-agency instead of signing with the Giants.
    1993 draft, pick #6 = Steve Soderstrom. BUST.
    1992 draft, pick #7 = Calvin Murray. BUST.
    1986 draft, pick #3 = Matt Williams. Awesome.
    1985 draft, pick #2 = Will Clark. Awww yeah!

1984 draft, pick #9 = Alan Cawkrell. BUST.
    1980 draft, pick #7 = Jessie Reid. BUST.
    1978 draft, pick #7 = Bob Cummings. BUST.
    1977 draft, pick #10 = Craig Landis. BUST.
    1975 draft, pick #8 = Ted Barnicle. BUST.
    1973 draft, pick #6 = Johnnie LeMaster. LOL

Kickham got optioned right after the game.. You know what that means kids? IIIIIIT's FRENCHY TIME!

Dude's gonna help us catch the Astros and Marlins and claim the #1 pick in next year's draft.

Can't wait to see who they draft. He'll be great until he's traded for an over-the-hill veteran.

<< <i>Can't wait to see who they draft. He'll be great until he's traded for an over-the-hill veteran. >>

The Giants have traded off only 4 of their top 10 draft picks ever. Here are those 4 instances.

2009 draft, pick #6 = Zack Wheeler, traded in 2011 for Carlos Beltran.
    1997 draft, pick #4 = Jason Grilli, traded in 1999 for Livan Hernandez.
    1996 draft, pick #6 = Matt White, lost immediately via a procedural loophole, doesn't count.
    1984 draft, pick #9 = Alan Cawkrell. Traded in 1988. His MLB career consisted of 8 ABs for the Rockies in 1996.