Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was the coin that broke your "glass ceiling" as a collector?

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
Well it seems most collectors started sifting through change to fill albums, or the lucky ones worked through a family members collection. But eventually we all made a purchase. So what coin did you purchase that made this hobby real, in respect to your pocket book? Was it a $50/$100/$1000/$1000000 coin?

Mine was a VF 1918/7-D buffalo nickel.
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    On my 18th birthday, I bought a 1942/1 Mercury Dime in VF for $500. I think it was my first three figure coin.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an 1853 large cent, which was my first numismatic purchase for the intent of collecting/dealing

sent to pcgs and came back 58, arguably an unc

edited to add, i paid $50. the guy whom sold it to me was nice to give a noobie such a good deal. first large cent i'd seen and i knew i was in love aka obsessed image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Mine was an 1884-S AU58+

Cost way more than I was expecting
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Dont remember the coin/token but the $1000 mark seemed over the top at the time.
  • Options
    Proof Seated 10C electric purple envelope toned PCGS Pr64, Benson 1907 Pr 10C PCGS Pr63 concentric rainbows.

Eric
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1881 O Morgan dollar Nice, frosty BU from an original bag for $3.00! That was alot of money then!
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    When I got to my first $500 coin I started thinking I might be serious about this. That was in the '90's when $500 was a lot of money for me.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first 5 figure coin was a nerve wracking experience. I still have it, and haven't returned to that territory since, even though the primary example has advanced in multiples of value to the market.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I paid 7 dollars for my first morgan, i remember seeing a coin in the display case priced at 2500 dollars. I actually said i would never buy a 100 dollar coin. I bought that same 2500 dollar coin a few months later. (1893 s)image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Four digits - here - about 3 months ago. 1909 S VDB MS63BN.

Prior to this.....several just under 500.

Most notables....purchased a 1911 S Lincoln, raw, MS63BN (with some nice red in the edges) and the venerable 1914 D, raw, XF in 1988 for $325 at Colonel's Coins in Grand Forks, North Dakota. My wife.....FLIPPED!!! Reminded her of the 1877 AG/FR Indian that I purchased from a coin dealers junk box for 15 cents (returned to dealer - dealer said they do not believe it is an 1877), traded the IHC for $65 face 90% silver, sat on that for 6 months....and then bought the 11 S and 14 D. Ah......let the ride begin! image
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one that shook things up for me was a 1796 Draped Bust quarter in F12. The coin is tough, I purchased it in the 1990s and I still own it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    For me it was an 1870 cc seated dollar.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FIrst $500 coin was probably a 1942 proof half. First $1000 coin (excluding bullion) was a Fugio.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I got to my first $500 coin I started thinking I might be serious about this. That was in the '90's when $500 was a lot of money for me.

Very much the same for me, it was 1990 at the Seattle ANA in fact, for one of the nicest 1897-O Barber Dimes I still have ever seen in Choice AU. Today we would call it an AU64, if my memory is worth a damn. Teal and gray, original skin, very well might have graded Unc (I sold it as a shot 62) if it was sent in. I think I remember paying 435. for it (I know it was over 400.). Unfortunately I sold it about six months later for a modest profit. Still haunts me. I wish I could have afforded to keep her.

Buying it, I thought maybe I was crazy. My wife was certain I was. In retrospect, I probably was (and I probably still am) a little crazy.

I didn't break that threshold price again for another four years, and another four years before I did it again.

One thing that coin taught me though, was if I was going to be a collector, to buy only what I could afford to keep.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know but I spend alot and have a big hole in that ceiling. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure it was a raw 22 no-D cent that graded here as VF35 later. Cost me $1900. Sold it about 6 months later for only a $150 profit.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one that shook things up for me was a 1796 Draped Bust quarter in F12. The coin is tough, I purchased it in the 1990s and I still own it. >>

And it's incredible.

An 85-O endroll toned Morgan was my first coin above $100, which was a big deal since I was 15. Since then I've hit $500 and a few above that, but with proportionally much more income, I don't think they hit me the same way, even though they were milestones. At 15, $100 was a lot for anything, and basically unheard of spending for me.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    A few years back, I bought my first coin when I got back into collecting. It was a $1 1882-CC in ANACS 61. Same show I should an 8 reales piece that was $90 also.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    There have been several but I suppose the Go Daddy coin was my 1971-S IKE.

After rereading the thread, I need to modify my answer although the purchase of the coins below is not what made the hobby "real" for me. The hobby was always real, it was just a question of financial availability. From a current standpoint though, the IKE made it really Real as it represents a significant "find" and not simply an expensive purchase. With enough money, anybody can make an expensive purchase.

These three were well over $200 when $200 was actually worth $200 (back in the late 70's very early 80's) and represent my first attempt at actually completing a collection which included ALL dates and mintmarks.

image .. image .. image

The 32-S and 36-D were purchased raw at CA Bay Area Coin Shows. The 32-D was purchased raw at a coin shop in Austin Texas.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first really "expensive" coin was an 1877 Indian cent, which brought me to see the "light of day" in finishing my collection of those coins. It was in Fine condition for those days (Today it would be graded VF using the current lower standards.) and it cost me $200. This was circa 1965. Oddly enough I would have a lot of trouble finding an 1869 Indian cent which was the coin I needed to finish the collection.

The real "glass ceiling" for me was a 1799 Bust dollar in VF. That was my first Draped Bust type coin, and it opened a new world for me. That one cost $210 in the late 1960s.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The first time I "made" a proof Seated Dollar in PR65. I think that happened even before I ever got a common date Morgan higher than MS65. It was totally unexpected but after that I started to think I was hot stuff in getting coins to upgrade.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Paying more than a $1000 for a coin which brought me into a whole new comfort zone.

But also selling a coin for more than $1,000 (before I bought a coin for that much) was also very awesome image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost a g/f for buying a Cheerios Sacagawea. That broke my _ _ _ _s. Then _ _ _ _ hit the fan, and she went straight through the roof. I don't remember a ceiling.... only my jaw on the floor.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the $1,000 price tag seems to be threshold for some people, I was trying to think of the first coin for which I paid that amount. It was an 1804 half eagle in AU. I paid $1,150 for it circa 1972.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the rest of the coins posted here will be American, but mine is an ancient Greek coin - an Athenian Tetradrachm:

And then things made that glass ceiling shatter thereafter. Spent many many times what I spent on the Tet since then.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first coin that broke my glass ceiling was this one ...

Followed about 1 month later with this one ...

Followed about 3 months later with this one ...

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Mine would have been my 67 Iowa which started me down the 50 pc set path. It was followed shortly by my Lafayette and Isabella.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I jumped into a new level of collecting when I added this one for a whopping $860 image
    imageimage
    imageimage

My most costly coin ever is this one, which went from this...

To this...
    imageimage

To this...
    imageimage
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 1982 Louis Armstrong gold coin, part of the American Arts Commemorative series. Mostly considered a bullion coin. Bought it for $400 in the mid-1990s, still have it.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 guys here who I hold in high esteem and responsible for my decision to purchase a certain coin.

Pat Braddick
    Tom Delorey
    MWallace

the rest of the story.
  • Options
    I would say that I haven't broken the ceiling yet, all three of my most expensive coins were right around $300.
    Looking for Northern California National Bank Notes, Chico, Redding, Oroville.
  • Options
    Mine was this one, and it took me to an very different area of collecting:
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1927-S 25c
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I purchased a few coins over $1000 but had them pretty much sold to some collecting friends so those don't really count.

The coin that broke a barrier for me and that I held for several years was a 1921-D Walker in original F12. Paid $525 for it about 2 years after I started collecting (in 2006) which was multiples more than I had ever paid for a coin before. Sold it for about $550 several years later.

I enjoy lots of coins, so sinking alot of $$$ into just a few coins don't appeal to my budget too much. $500 is alot of money to me.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most expensive so far - 1,800 Euro (~$2,400).
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the 2002 Silver Dollar Show in St. Louis (which was then much larger than the current version), I purchased two CC $20's. Since then, it has been off to the races.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first starting collecting I would of never thought I would pay so much for one coin, I was wrong.

imageimage
  • Options
    My "glass ceiling" coin is my 1861-D half eagle (PCGS MS62). I have been wanting to post it, but I'll have to get Todd to shoot it first.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    First the $500 barrier then the $1000 barrier
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend $8 for a '21-S buffalo that was supposed to be G in 1961. It was only AG but at the time
    I didn't know that. Then in about 1962 I exceeded the $10 "glass ceiling" and spent about $12
    for a '13-D buffalo in F. It came from Jack Beymer who must have been out of F's and sent me a
    nice pleasing VF which I mistook for a low end XF. This was the first hint that I had been overgra-
    ding and was buried in most of my two and three dollar purchases. I was able to make a small '
    profit on the collection because of the increase in value of the '13-D and that many of the coins
    came from circulation.

When I returned to the hobby I wanted to collect from the high end of the grading spectrum so grad-
    ing wouldn't be an issue. I went through all the affordable US series before settling on clads in '72.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    For many of us there have been multiple glass ceilings and they tend to occur over time, hopefully with the wisdom and education needed to do so without making a big mistake.

As a teenager, somewhere around $150 was a lot, for a VF 1914-D cent.

As an adult, I have hit several new glass ceilings of greater note, involving my barber half set. The 1901-S in MS 62 was the first I remember, then a 1907-S in 64, later the 1904-O in 66, and then the killer key dates like the 04-S and 92-o micro O. I doubt I will ever top those. The Eliasberg 92-O micro O would be an additional glass ceiling that is so far up there that I don't think I can even see it, much less crash through it..
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ceiling wasn't a single coin but making a deal to buy a group of coins from a forum member for $5,000.00. At the time I had to do it in monthly payments and made me realize that collecting coins can get real serious in a hurry.
    Just checked and some of them are still in my collection but some have moved on to new homes.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first coin I ever purchased was an 8 Escudo for $1800, which I sold shortly after for a small profit.

My glass ceiling was shattered when I made what I thought were relatively low bids on two mid-five-figure coins in one auction and ended up winning both of them (my first five-figure coins). I held onto those for a while but have since upgraded and sold them off as well.

I've bought/sold many times more than my collection has ever been worth, but would never consider myself a dealer.

At each step of the way, I thought: "I could never have a collection worth more than $X" and X keeps increasing...

By actually going through the selling process many times now, I'm much more comfortable with how "it" works and am willing to put a higher percentage of my net worth into coins by understanding their liquidity.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    A choice VG8/8, Choice 1793 Half Cent. Only coin we paid over $5K for in 2005. I know who owns it, which is even nicer, and we have first shot to buy it back.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it was a 1934-S Peace Dollar in PCGS MS63. Up to that point I'd been collecting well below the $1,000 level. I didn't hold it too long before trading it on an upgrade. As my focus is moving slowly toward quality over quantity, I'm envisioning the day when a certain 5-figure coin might be realistic. I am finding it difficult though to ignore great coins long enough to accumulate sufficient funds for the really breathtaking ones. I'm not cut out to be a one or two coin per year kind of guy.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the connecticut commem. did it for me, ms 65. you figure the price about 4 years ago image
  • Options

I had been collecting since age 7 (1966) until I was about 17, but took a break for years until 2001.

The first ceiling broken was in 2001 for a 1798 Large Cent for $180. I thought then "wow, did I just do that?"

The next ceiling was in 2003, for a 09 s vdb cent for $650. Again, I thought "wow" and my wife thought "wow" also. better slow down a bit.

in 2005, bought a 1793 Chain Cent for $2000.........I have gone well past that now.........

.........funny how the comfort level of spending changes with experiences. Can be dangerous however!

......I collect old stuff......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file