Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was the coin that broke your "glass ceiling" as a collector?

2»

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I jumped into a new level of collecting when I added this one for a whopping $860 image
    imageimage
    imageimage
    >>

I like your Limey!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that 93-S as well.

This may sound silly, but when I was 9 years old I spent 25 cents for a well-circulated 1935 Buffalo Nickel. That was a week's allowance at the time. That made it real for me.

Since then, I have crashed through other numismatic glass ceilings along the way, but that was the first one and I remember it well.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a great question! it's cool to read everyone's interesting responses

As a kid, it was an 1827 capped bust half dollar, my first type coin over $50 and my oldest coin when I put the collection away at age 14 until I was 30+ (I had completed the 20th century type set, and had some seated and the odd denominations and partial sets of gem and toned roosevelts and washingtons and franklins and peace dollars, but the 1827 and an 1835 half dime were my only bust coins, crusty natural VF/EFs and I still have both of them

When I resumed collecting in the late 1990's, it was an 1805 half that sparked up the type set fever again, as well as starting a redbook set of draped bust halves, and 1806 and 1820 quarters that got me into early quarters by variety and have since accumulated a roll and a half of pre-1828 and before quarters, all distinct die varieties or die states

My first four-figure purchases were these dollars:

imageimage

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I have since purchased more expensive coins, but my first pop top 1918 MS66 No Bands Merc bought in 2002 broke my ceiling. I still miss my No Bands collection and the group of Mercateers who were all chasing the little ladies back then.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭
    For me it was a few years ago with a 1947ML Canada half dollar in PCGS MS65 (pop 4/1). It cost me nearly 5 times more than I paid for my previous most expensive (non-bullion) coin ever owned.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Mine was an 1852 Seated Dollar PCGS AU-58. It was the first and only time I spent over $20,000 for a coin. I was eating top roman noodles for a long time after that one.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    1798 VF-30 $1, 4-17-07, close to $2000.
    Paul
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I bought this one (it is now housed in a PCGS AU58 holder)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The longer I work in this, the more I'm afraid of heights.
  • Options
    Back in the early 1990's I purchased a 1921 5 cent from Canada (only 400 known) for 1900$ that was my 1st big purchase...It was graded about a Good-04 to a Good-06 but they had said VG-08...I was only a kid maybe 13 to 14 years old so I could not tell the grade I just wanted the coin because it was the first 1921 I had ever seen (This was before all the internet age so finding one was very very hard....it was a coin shop located in a Sears retail store). I had some Canadian saving bonds and decided I wanted that coin instead...about 10 years later I sold it for about 4000$. So I double my money on the coin then I purchased one in AU-55 graded by PCGS using the 4000$ from the sale and of course a lot more to pay for the AU-55. I do not own the AU-55 anymore sold it for 20 000$ and made about 3000$ profit in about 2 years time of ownership.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    $5600 and I regret it to this day. Sold it last year. Yes it was an ultramodern. It helps that I bought a PCGS Franklin DCAM 68 for $300 at auction. I guess no one was looking and sold it 4 years later for $3000.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    I bought a lot of crap back in the 70's/80's when I didn't really know what I was doing. In the 90's I started buying books and certified coins. In the 00's I educated myself and got rid of all the"junk" and began to put together a meaninful collection. One of my first "major" purchases was a 09SVDB PCGS AU55.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    1796 half dollar.......1st and only coin where I've spent over $10k.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Colorfulcoins:

Very nice do you have any pics to share?
  • Options
    As for graduating from collecting pocket change to an actual purchased coin:

When I was a kid (had been collecting pocket change for some time) my father offered to take me to a coin store one Saturday. My first coin purchase was an EF 1883 no cents V nickel. Still have it.

As for the $100 mark and $1000 mark it was twenty cent pieces that made me do it. Still have those as well.

The 1875S twenty cent that I paid just over $100 for is still one of the most beautiful examples I've ever seen.

Thanks for this thread idea. In reading people's posts and writing my own it becomes clear that often the memories are the real prize.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got hooked when I spent 25¢ on two 1960 cents (one small and the other large date d's).

I could not believe that I spent a weeks allowance on two pennies!

bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for this thread idea. In reading people's posts and writing my own it becomes clear that often the memories are the real prize. >>

This is true!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file