Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 SF Giants discussion: NL West Champs

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>If anything would've been done it would've been for some no-name middle reliever or fourth outfielder. >>

The no-name middle reliever's name is Jose Mijares, and the 4th outfielder may be named Steve Pearce (Buster Olney says Giants are checking him out).

If the Giants were .5 games back, the Adrian Gonzalez trade would have probably never happened.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>After the game, they optioned Hacker. That tells me one thing: Mota's coming back. >>

Something else could be going on though. Mota's not eligible to come back until Tuesday, so dumping Hacker would leave them 1 guy short in the overworked bullpen during a Lincecum start vs a good team.

So, Mota with steroids was a replacement level relief pitcher. If he needed steroids to make him average, then what will he be like without them?

• Options
    Hmm, Giants called up Eli Whiteside today.

Hector's catching, Posey's at 1st today, so no one's hurt too bad.

Posey's hammy has been bugging him. I could see that as being a big problem for a catcher. If Eli's up, then that tells me that Posey's done behind the plate for a while.

• Options
    Scott Hairston, who is a renown Giant killer, was put in wavers this weekend, and claimed. Giants placed a claim but didn't win. In fact, it looks like Hairston got double-blocked, as the Dodgers also claimed him but didn't win. D-Backs? Could be Pirates too.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 8/28: Giants counter Dodgers massive trade by activating steroid reliever Guillermo Mota.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Bullpen can't get much worse with the likes of Hensley, Assfeldt, and anyone not named Javier Lopez or Sergio Romo.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Bullpen can't get much worse with the likes of Hensley, Assfeldt, and anyone not named Javier Lopez or Sergio Romo. >>

Kontos isn't awful, and Casilla seems to have bounced back without the pressure of being the closer.

Giants relief in August:

Lopez = 11 games, 6.2 ip, 0 runs, 1.050 whip
    Romo = 11 games, 8 ip, 1 run, 1.000 whip
    Casilla = 9 games, 8.2 ip, 1 run, 0.692 whip
    Kontos = 13 games, 11.2 ip, 3 runs, 1.114 whip

Affeldt = 9 games, 6.2 ip, 4 runs, 2.400 whip
    Mijares = 11 games, 7.2 ip, 5 runs, 1.565 whip
    Hensley = 10 games, 8 ip, 9 runs, 2.375 whip

Hacker (AAA) = 3 games , 3.2 ip, 3 runs, 1.636 whip
    Loux (DL) = 3 games, 4.2 ip, 5 runs, 2.357 whip
    Penny (DL) = 5 games , 6.2 ip, 9 runs, 2.700 whip

To fit Mota, they'll need to find some BS injury to DL someone with. Either that, or demote/dfa someone. DFAing is stupid, because you don't know if Mota can pitch. He got destroyed by rookie league hitters (2.2 ip, 3.0 whip, 7 runs), then was pretty "meh" vs AAA hitters (6.1 ip, 1.579 whip, 3 runs)

• Options
    Hmm. Mota's in Houston with the team, but he hasn't been added to the roster yet. He's not listed as available for today's game either, so he'll be watching the game from a bar, his hotel room, or something.

edit to add: Jeremy Affeldt has been excused for paternity leave. Mota activated.

Maybe Affeldt's poor performance as of late can be attributed to distraction with his wife being nearly ready to give birth? She was due in September, so it sounds like the baby's a little early. I read that he's been constantly flying back and forth between SF and his home in WA for the past 2 weeks.

• Options
    Giants had difficulty scoring today, but managed to win. Giants should be crushing the Astros, not engineering 9th inning comebacks against them.

Blagh. Highlight of the night: Foul pop up, Pablo assist, Craw putout. It probably doesn't really get scored that way, but ah, why not. image

• Options
    Affeldt's back (that was quick). Hensley (worst in the pen) to the DL with a groin strain that was apparently bothering him for a while.

Looks like they're going to have a bunch of relief pitchers reporting to the team on September 1st.

Hacker can't come back until Sept 4, but expect to see the usual suspects, like Danny Otero, Steve Edlefson, and the DL guys (Penny, Loux) make a re-appearance.

Dan Runzler has totally fallen apart. 6.51 era in the minors so far, having given up 20 earned runs in 24.2 innings. Yeah, no thanks.

I wonder how many new faces we'll see? There's some speculation that Jean Machi might be included in the call ups. Mitch Lively (one of the better relieves in Fresno) seems like he might be a good call up.

New position players are kinda slim.

Xavier Nady (1b): .280/.352/.561
    Brock Bond (2b): .339/.423/.404
    Ryan Lollis (RF): .309/.398/.441

• Options
    Wins are wins but they're making it a lot harder against the Astros than it should be. They're finding ways to not win games but good thing for them the Astros can't catch breaks.

Zito is baffling. Against decent teams he has been pitching fine but against teams with losing records he's their big confidence builder. I guess with the Dodgers winning today Boch kept him on a very short leash and yanked him with a lead after 2.1 innings.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Well, as Kruk said, sometimes you enter a start still worn out from your last start, get knocked out early, and hit your next start with what seems like extra rest.

Zito's next start will come Monday vs the D-Backs, so he better be rested.

D-Backs are plumeting in the West, but they're still scary for some reason.
    LA's new Dream Team seems to be having a few issues.

• Options
    Wow, Zito sorta blamed Buster Posey for his bad start. He said he "didn't shake off" Posey enough. He went on to say that it wasn't so much about making bad pitches, but throwing the wrong pitches (aka, what Posey asked for).

• Options
    Probably the most twisted video produced by the Giants to promote one of their give-away nights: Bruce Lee bobble head night.

• Options
    Brandon Crawford will probably never turn heads with his hitting, but he appears to be settling in well at the major league SS role over the course of the season, from early season jitters in April to rock-solid D in August.

April = .203/.225/.333, 4 errors
    May = .231/.297/.286. 6 errors
    June = .260/.313/.377, 2 errors
    July = .235/.307/.353, 1 error
    August = .290/.338/.371, 0 errors

• Options

<< <i>That promo was a bit odd to say the least. >>

Bruce Lee:
    1) decapitated Randy Winn
    2) shattered Crazy Crab
    3) kicked Cain in the face
    4) kicked Shinjo in the face
    5) kicked Bumgarner in the face
    6) KO'ed Kung Fu Panda
    7) KO'ed Lou Seal
    8) punched Romo in the face
    9) kicked Posey in the face
    10) and kicked Manny Pacquiao in the face, then broke his neck (with sound effect) with his foot.

Maybe there's a closet Dodger fan working in the Giants PR department? image

• Options

<< <i>Probably the most twisted video produced by the Giants to promote one of their give-away nights: Bruce Lee bobble head night. >>

That promo was a bit odd to say the least.
  • Options
    Giants looking pathetic.

Bases loaded, no outs...
    1) K
    2) force out at home: 1st baseman to catcher
    3) line out to pitcher.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 8/30: Secret Weapon - Joaquin Arias!!!

Well, after spotting the Astros 4 innings and 4 runs, the Giants lit up the scoreboard on the way to an 8-4 win.

Giants have a way of "avoiding the sweep", so to speak, so the first 4 innings looked like they were going to do just that, then they changed their minds.

Vogelsong looked shakey again. Not good. He got bailed out in the 4th and 6th by slick D or bad baserunning. Fortunately for the Giants, the Astros bullpen was made out of lit matches and lighter fluid.

Joaquin Arias is on fire right now. Hitting .426 in 54 August ABs, with 5 doubles, 2 triples, and 2 homers. There's some talk about trying him out in LF. Back in 2007, the Rangers tried that too, and it resulted in a shoulder injury to his throwing arm that ruined him for years. He seems to be totally healed, but while an outfielder may not throw a ball as many times as an infielder, the throws they make are more violent. I just hope they don't end up breaking this guy while trying to find some weird place to put him. I guess this is a good problem to have though. At least we're looking at moving a hot player around, as opposed to trotting Justin Christian out to LF because he's a warm body.

Next up, the Cubbies. Giants swept the Cubs in SF the only other time they faced them this year in a set of 4 low-scoring games. This will be the last non-NL West opponent the Giants face until either the post-season or 2013.

Hmm, Giants are 26-27 in day games this season. It'll be 3 day games vs the Cubs.

In day games...
    Bumgarner = 5-6, 4.24 era, 1.218 whip
    Lincecum = 2-6, 6.75 era, 1.775 whip
    Cain = 7-0, 2.53 era, 0.945 whip

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 8/31: elite Cubs pitching baffling Giants, in progress

This game looks like garbage already.

Cubs pitcher has needed 26 pitches to get through 9 Giants in 3 innings.

Madbum needed 31 pitches to get through the 1st alone, and gave up a run in the process.

edit to add:

Giants sent Bumgarner to Chi early so he could get a good nights sleep. So far, 3 innings, 5 runs, 71 pitches.

• Options
    Early start game and an early Giants start to sucking. Bombgarner getting lit up like a Christmas tree by Soriano and company. The question is, can they still make this game competitive?

They're doing it again...they're making crappy no-name pitchers look like Cy Young contenders for a day.

Dodgers will win today. I can't imagine them losing 7 in a row to Arizona.
  • Options

<< <i>They're doing it again...they're making crappy no-name pitchers look like Cy Young contenders for a day. >>

Forget Cy Young Contender, they're making Volsted look like a video-game superhero.

• Options
    Recently all Giants pitchers have been getting tagged for early runs and early high pitch counts. Looks like the rotation is cracking or opponents have found a way to exploit weaknesses.
  • Options

<< <i>Recently all Giants pitchers have been getting tagged for early runs and early high pitch counts. Looks like the rotation is cracking or opponents have found a way to exploit weaknesses. >>

Not sure. It seems like the Giants record would be a lot worse if it was one of those two things. They're 18-10 on the month. Then again, the offense has really picked up this month.

• Options
    Amazing how life imitates art. Giants get bobblehead Bruce Lee'd by the second worst team in the majors.

By the way how many times has Blanco struck out on this road trip?
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 8/31: Giants caught sleeping.

Not much to this game. Giants looked wasted.

The 3rd inning summed everything up today:

Bumgarner vs Cubs:
    pop out. Out 1.
    fly out. Out 2.
    Base hit (on 2 strikes).
    Homer, 2 runs in.
    Base hit.
    Inside the park homer (actually, double and an error) where the ball skipped past the catcher on a play at the plate, and no one was standing behind Buster to back him up.

Bumgarner was actually casually walking towards Posey with his glove out as if to ask for the ball so he could get back to the mound.

• Options

<< <i>By the way how many times has Blanco struck out on this road trip? >>

Blanco's 2 for 13 with 9 strikeouts on this road trip. Juan Pierre cleared wavers. I don't know why the Giants don't see if they can grab him. Pierre is total garbage vs LHP (.167/.196/.167), but he's doing well against righties (.326/.370/.401). Pierre would be an upgrade over Blanco.

• Options
    Some more cannon fodder (aka September call ups) reports to the Giants tomorrow:
    Xavier Nady (OF): The Nats kicked him to the curb after he hit .157 in 40 games for them. Sabean couldn't resist. He'll start LF tomorrow.
    Brett Pill (1b): yeah, you know him.
    Jean Machi (RHP): Standard relief pitcher, but Pablo-sized.
    Aubrey Huff (1b): *belch*
    Brad Penny (RHP): When the Giants are getting skunked, then he'll get to pitch.
    Shane Loux (RHP): When Penny can't get any outs during a skunking, then Loux will come in.

The Giants didn't have any 40 man roster spots open, so they moved Freddy Sanchez to the 60-day (I don't know why he wasn't there already), but will need to make one more move.

A trade would be cool, but releasing someone is more likely.

• Options
    So in other words with Tim Lincecan't pitching tomorrow we'll be seeing Penny and/or Loux by the 4th inning. How exciting.
  • Options
    Who knows. Maybe Nady will go all "Pat Burrell" on the league in a Giants uniform.

• Options
    While seeing the Dodgers rack up losses is gratifying, it gets me to wondering... Did the Rockies and D-Backs suddenly turn into contenders, or are the Dodgers just having some hiccups?

• Options

<< <i>While seeing the Dodgers rack up losses is gratifying, it gets me to wondering... Did the Rockies and D-Backs suddenly turn into contenders, or are the Dodgers just having some hiccups? >>

Seems to me they're having the same offensive problems the Giants had last year. Aside from the occasional blowup their starting pitchers seem to hold their opponents to reasonably low number of runs but their offense can't score. The last two against Arizona were definitely winnable but each time they came up one run short.

If the Rockies fix their pitching problems they might become contenders next year. Arizona always seems to be lurking in the bushes but before their Dodgers series they went through an awful stretch where they got swept by San Diego.
  • Options

<< <i>Arizona always seems to be lurking in the bushes but before their Dodgers series they went through an awful stretch where they got swept by San Diego. >>

With tonight's win, the D-Backs have won their 8th straight vs the Dodgers this year.

• Options
    Aaaaaand the X-Man has 3 RBI in his first AB as a Giant.

• Options

<< <i>The Giants didn't have any 40 man roster spots open, so they moved Freddy Sanchez to the 60-day (I don't know why he wasn't there already), but will need to make one more move.

A trade would be cool, but releasing someone is more likely. >>

The move was DFAing:

Hector Correa, RHP, 24 years old. He was aquired in a weird trade in 2009 when the Giants sent reliever Jack Taschner to the Phillies for catcher Ronny Paulino, then immediately flipped Paulino to the Marlins for the 21 year old (and injured) A baller Correa. Correa's never gotten higher than AA, was back in A ball this year, and getting knocked around in San Jose. (18 ip, 7.50 era, 1.778 whip, 1.53 so/bb). He also battled injuries all year.

After putting up filthy numbers in San Jose last year, there was some speculation in Spring Training about this guy being a possible candidate to join the major league bullpen at some point during the season. It never panned out.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 9/1: The test is coming.

After Sunday's game vs the Cubs, the Giants will face only NL West opponents until either the post-season, or 2013.

Sept 3-5: vs D-Backs
    Sept 6: off day
    Sept 7-9: vs Dodgers
    Sept 10-12: @ Rockies
    Sept 13: off day
    Sept 14-16: @ Dbacks
    Sept 17-20: vs Rockies
    Sept 21-23: vs Padres
    Sept 24: off day.
    Sept 25-27: vs Dbacks
    Sept 28-30: @ Padres
    Oct 1-3: @ Dodgers

6 vs the Dodgers (7-5)
    9 vs the Dbacks (4-5)
    7 vs the Rockies (8-3)
    6 vs the Padres (8-4)

This should be a wild September.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 9/3: All NL West, all month

Here we go.

First up, at home vs the D-Backs for the first 3 of 9 this month.

D-Backs are 10.5 games back in the West, but anything can happen.

Coming off an 2-8 homestand (2-2 vs Fish, 0-3 vs Padres, 0-3 vs Reds), they went to LA and split with the Dodgers. Now they head to SF.

Giants are 4-5 vs the Dbacks this year:
    April 6-8: 0-3 in AZ
    April 11-13: 2-1 in AZ
    May 28-30: 2-1 in SF

Giants have Zito going, who's 2-0 in 2 starts vs the Snakes this year (7 ip, 2 runs; 6 ip, 3 runs). D-Backs have Patrick Corbin, who beat the Giants in May, giving up only 1 run on 3 hits in 7 innings. That 1 run was a homer by Melky.

• Options
    Against the Dodgers Arizona couldn't score runs to save their lives but they're doing just fine against Giants pitching. The starting rotation has been shaky, the bullpen is crap, and the team can't win games they need to win. That is all.

Miraculously they pulled it off today.
  • Options

<< <i>Against the Dodgers Arizona couldn't score runs to save their lives but they're doing just fine against Giants pitching. The starting rotation has been weak, the bullpen is crap, and the team can't win games they need to win. That is all. >>

Double bullpen implosion today, with the Giants pen giving up 4 and the D-Backs pen giving up 5.

We could chalk this up to general bullpen suckage on both sides, but AZ's duo of Hernandez and Putz used to put other teams on lock-down in the 8th and 9th.

Giants got clutch hits from their key guys when they needed them.

It also appears that Pence's supply of Suck Juice ran out. image

• Options
    Scutaro's arrival in SF in the wake of the Dodgers landing Hanley was ment with some contempt. I called it a minor upgrade over Manny Burriss, and another said with contempt: "Marco Scutaro, the gamechanger to the rescue!"

Scutaro's line since coming to SF:
    36 games, .322/.344/.425, 23 rbi.
    @ AT&T: 17 games, .308/.352/.369, 5 rbi
    @ anywhere else: 19 games, .333/.337/.469, 18 rbi

Before coming to SF, his Rockies numbers were:
    @ Coors: 48 games, .302/.366/.427, 20 rbi
    @ anywhere else: 47 games, .238/.278/.292, 10 rbi

After seeing his away numbers in a Rockies uniform, I thought he was week. While some guys fall into comas after putting on Giants uniforms, Scutaro's come alive.

The Giants are 22-14 since acquiring Scutaro. Not that Scutaro's done it alone, but he's been a major contributor. In August, he was 3rd on the team in RBI behind Pence and Posey.

Pence has hit just .234/.295/.371 in his 32 games as a Giant, but here's where perspective changes everything: Separate out his first 13 games as a Giant, and you get a much different set of numbers:
    first 13 games: .145/.172/.273
    last 19 games: .304/.383/.449

• Options
    More callups arrived in SF today: relievers Danny Otero and Dan Runzler (who's been hurt for most of the year), and.... Manny Burriss! Eric Hacker is getting DFA'ed to make room for Burriss on the roster.

Burriss is back in the majors. He must have some photographic evidence of Sabean doing naughty things.

After hitting .214/.273/.221 with 1 xbh in 52 games with the Giants, he got DFA'ed, then outrighted to Fresno when no one else wanted him.
    In 29 games with Fresno, he hit .274/.342/.377 with 6 xbhs... and now he's back.

Burriss will be used primarily as a late-inning pinch runner when the lead runner is made of lead or something.
    Otero could be a good addition to the bullpen. Since August 1st, he's been a solid strike-throwing righty in Fresno, posting a ZERO era and a 0.73 whip in 15 ip (over 12 apperances).

Runzler, on the other hand, is a walking disaster. Since August 1st, he's posted a 8.03 era and a 2.19 whip in 12.3 ip (over 13 apperances). Most of that is due to the fact that he can't handle right handed batters. Over the AAA season, he's got a 7.41 era vs righties, and a 3.60 era vs lefties. Hopefully he never faces a righty.

Poor Eric Hacker has been a pretty good AAA starter who couldn't cut in the relief role that Boch had for him.

• Options
    Why was Runzler kept over Hacker? Unless they're trying to develop him into a lefty specialist we've seen Runzler a few times since last year and I can't imagine Hacker could be any worse than Runzler has been.
  • Options

<< <i>Why was Runzler kept over Hacker? We've seen Runzler a few times since last year and I can't imagine Hacker could be any worse than Runzler has been. >>

Hacker was getting lit-up by major league batters on both sides of the plate. Runzler at least has a chance vs lefties.

• Options
    Another short outing where he gets lit up for 6 runs and too many hits to count in a whopping 3.1 innings. Ryan Vogelsong chose a hell of a time during the season to turn into Ryan Vogelsuck. But on the bright side he struck out 7. Now officially 3/5 of the starting rotation sucks.
  • Options
    Vogelsong's ERA has risen from 2.24 to 3.29, in the span of 5 starts.

• Options

<< <i>Vogelsong's ERA has risen from 2.24 to 3.29, in the span of 5 starts. >>

Unless he turns it around I predict by the end of the season it'll be close to Timmy territory.

With Ian Kennedy pitching I had a bad feeling about tonight. Even in an off year he has completely dominated the Giants. Even if he came in tonight with a 9.35 ERA he would still shut down the Giants.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 9/4: Pessimistic (or realistic) ranting.

4.5 games up is enough to make a pretty nice "BANG" when we hit the ground. The only question left is: how far down will they plummet?

I'm in a pissy mood, so here's some pessimism:
    Sept 3-5: vs D-Backs (1-2)
    Sept 7-9: vs Dodgers (swept, 0-3)
    Sept 10-12: @ Rockies (1-2) (SF falls out of 1st)
    Sept 14-16: @ Dbacks (swept, 0-3)
    Sept 17-20: vs Rockies (2-2)
    Sept 21-23: vs Padres (1-2)
    Sept 25-27: vs Dbacks (1-2)
    Sept 28-30: @ Padres (1-2)
    Oct 1-3: @ Dodgers (sweept, 0-3)

Final Sept-Oct record: 9-21

Prediction: D-Backs pull off stunning comeback and win the NL West again.

PROVE ME WRONG, GIANTS!!!!!!

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion 9/5: The Vogelsong has turned into a dirge.

ESPN has a story about how "Something's not right with Sabathia". He's posted a 3.38 era since the break (3.42 overall). I guess it's a Yankee thing.

Vogelsong's splits are more frighting. 2.36 era/1.120 whip in the first half, 5.20 era/1.472 whip in the 2nd half.

You could narrow it down even more:
    First 21 starts: 2.27 era
    Last 5 starts: 10.13 era

As for last nights game... blegh. But I do love those Brandon Belt home runs. Dude needs to keep hitting those. He has 6 career homers at AT&T Park, and 3 of them are splash-hits.

• Options
    Apparently Vogelsuck...er...Vogelsong isn't the only turkey in the starting rotation. We know about Lincecrap and Barry Zero and now Bumgarner joins the unfabulous foursome. Even Cain's been laboring in many of his starts since the you-know-what game. The opponents know to run up the pitch count and knock the starters out early then it's open season on the weak bullpen.

The most amazing part is the Dodgers keep laying eggs along the way and find every conceivable way to not make up ground. They've been just as good at finding ways to lose.
  • Options
    The only former A's pitcher who can't dominate at AT&T Park is Barry Zito.

Nady jacked his hamstring, so he'll be out for a few days, at least.

Giants are playing bad baseball, and that bad baseball is overshadowing some pretty incredible defensive plays by Brandon Crawford in the past few days.

<< <i>The most amazing part is the Dodgers keep laying eggs along the way and find every conceivable way to not make up ground. They've been just as good at finding ways to lose. >>

The Prophecy of Evil says: Dodgers sweep.

Sept 3-5: vs D-Backs (1-2)

Sept 7-9: vs Dodgers (swept, 0-3)
    Sept 10-12: @ Rockies (1-2) (SF falls out of 1st)
    Sept 14-16: @ Dbacks (swept, 0-3)
    Sept 17-20: vs Rockies (2-2)
    Sept 21-23: vs Padres (1-2)
    Sept 25-27: vs Dbacks (1-2)
    Sept 28-30: @ Padres (1-2)
    Oct 1-3: @ Dodgers (sweept, 0-3)