Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone collect Gold Dollars? Show your tiny treasures!

RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2018 8:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Curious how actively this series is collected. Do people put together sets or is it just a type piece for most? I find them appealing but the size makes them tough on my eyes ;) I assume this is true for many.

I don't currently own any, but am kicking around the idea. If you're a fan of these little gems, post some and share your reasons for your interest in the series, please. Thanks!

EDITED: Just picked up my first, an original old crusty 1849-O PCGS XF40, pics posted on page 2.

Comments

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 4:02PM

Realized I do have a small run of them, they are the first ones in the link. While they are attractive, they are very tiny, especially the type 1s! I'm betting most people collect for type, not sure how "hot" this series is,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uq0xmhHnpW00JTbr2

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elmer - that link goes to a 404 pagee

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a thread on this subject about 6 weeks ago.

• Options

Great posts everyone! Thanks for the replies!

• Options

@RogerB said:
    There was a thread on this subject about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks Roger! I'll look for it.

"The Other RogerB" ;)

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one-this 1854 Type One but I'm thinking of putting a date set of the Type Ones together-only six coins and nothing rare or even scarce.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love the looks of that 1880 & 1883 dollars.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 1:03PM

I only collect them as type. The coin pictured below is also my Avatar to the left. It was purchased raw off eBay for about $100 and now lives in a PCGS MS65 slab:

Like Bill's 1880 example, it's a bit prooflike in appearance, with some reflectivity in the fields and some contrast on the devices.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect gold dollars by date and mint. There are 81 coins with all mints and varieties, I have 78. Missing the 55-D, 56-D, and 61-D.
    I think it is a challenging series with great history and some reasonable prices for most dates.
    My avatar is a very prooflike 1869.

liefgold
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR) – Autumn 2013, Issue #4 - includes this article with previously unknown information about later gold dollars uses and mintage. Available from Wizard Coin Supply.

“GOLD DOLLARS USED FOR JEWELRY”
    Necklaces, bracelets, cufflinks, rings, pendants and a multitude of other items of personal adornment became the final resting places of thousands of tiny gold dollars. Coin collectors were the only refuge for these forgotten gold pieces.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@koynekwest said:
    I have one-this 1854 Type One but I'm thinking of putting a date set of the Type Ones together-only six coins and nothing rare or even scarce.

The only two hardest dates are 1850 (#1) and 1854. The easiest one is the 1853-P, which I think is the most common gold dollar of all.

You would think that the 1849 without "L" would be very difficult to find with a tiny reported mintage of 1000 but at any given moment there's usually at least one on ebay.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think gold dollars have some great history and some very rare coins and are relatively affordable for gold coins due to their size.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 4:04PM

@Kudbegud said:

Try this one (also corrected in other post), maybe it was one I could only get to. I do have an 1850 in there too, like Bill Jones mentioned, you don't see that date all that often.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@Kudbegud said:

Try this one (also corrected in other post), maybe it was one I could only get to. I do have an 1850 in there too, like Bill Jones mentioned, you don't see that date all that often.

That worked, thanks. A very nice collection.

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

JJ.
    Love those two Dahlonnegas!
    Great backstories.

liefgold
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@BillJones said:

@koynekwest said:

The only two hardest dates are 1850 (#1) and 1854. The easiest one is the 1853-P, which I think is the most common gold dollar of all.

You would think that the 1849 without "L" would be very difficult to find with a tiny reported mintage of 1000 but at any given moment there's usually at least one on ebay.

The experts say that the mintage for the 1849 no L is 10,000, not 1,000. The other aspect that makes the coin more common is a high survival rate. A large number of them were put aside as the first of their kind.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any gold dollars but I collect George Soley's 13mm medalettes which are about the same size. It's hard to appreciate how small these are without having them in hand.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I don't have any gold dollars but I collect George Soley's 13mm medalettes which are about the same size. It's hard to appreciate how small these are without having them in hand.

Never heard of them. Could you post a couple of pics? They sound very interesting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all gold coins, but these small one's just do not have the magic of their larger brothers. I like the heft of a double eagle...Though I do have one of the tiny Mexican peso gold coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    BillJones- I thoroughly enjoy reading all of your posts. The coins you post are special. Thank you for taking the time to share

I would rather say "thank you!" but, given the options, I gave you a "like."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

My one and only $1 Gold resides in a PCGS first generation rattler holder and was purchased from The Reeded Edge.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of AU58's. The 1853 I bought raw from a friend at a show, on a lark (thanks, crazyhounddog!) and the 1854 was also unplanned. It put me over $1500 to avoid CA sales tax.

Both lame excuses. But I do like these little things.
    Lance.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I have a nice PCGS AU set of New Orleans Gold.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always enjoyed Cal's. This Liberty dollar is ex-Jay Roe. I'm sure many remember him. He was a fine Cal gold dealer and a gentleman. I dealt with him often once-upon-a-time.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I have been working on a branch mint gold dollar collection, 34 coins which excludes the 49-c wide wreath. Just 5 coins to go. Still looking for 54-D, 56-D, 61-D, 59-S and 70-S.
    Branch Mint gold link
    https://pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/1475

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

this thread brought out some nice coins! great g$1's everyone.

@JJSingleton and @boiler78 , awesome coins!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

C or D gets a like here.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

a special one, way cool.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 1:03PM

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I have a few raw ones. I really like the small ones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file