Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Playoffs begin on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why you're so hung up on Stevens all of a sudden. He's been great all year and the only reason why his name is in the headlines lately is because he drew up two huge after timeout plays that basically won Boston a game less than 72 hours ago.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

because ever since the Celtics went up 2-0 on Philly the media has been touting him as a genius.

guess what??? Coaches draw up plays like that all the time, Tyronne Lue did essentially the same thing to set up "the shot" but no one talks about it, and they probably shouldn't. it's what a good HC does, it's sort of his job, right?? and just so there's no mistake about it, I have acknowledged that Stevens is a good Coach. it is the hype that has gotten under my skin, it's ridiculous. as a Coach, Stevens hasn't really done anything yet, he's in the same boat as almost all of them.

they get too much credit when things go right and when things go wrong, it is usually the players who are blamed. it's always been like that and the media should be ashamed of themselves for drumming it up.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2018 12:21PM

Actually all the attention didn't start happening until saturday night but whatever. If you want to hate on the guy go for yours but its not gonna change anyone's opinion on who is the better coach between Lue & Stevens. One has the best basketball player in the world and the other a rookie that just turned 20 leading his team in scoring yet they're one win away from making it the same distance to this point in the season.

• Options

eric, a comparison that you might understand and accept --- Bill Belichick routinely OUT-COACHES his opponents. for a guy who never played the game he is better at strategy and better at catching the other Coach by surprise, better at planning. I wouldn't say the same about Brad Stevens. because he "drew up" two inbounds passes doesn't really equate to that same greatness. he's in a crowded boat working with a Team of over-achievers who have responded well to what he's saying.

• Options

Cmon man, no one is comparing Brad Stevens to Bill Belichick especially not here. He drew up a couple plays that worked for a win then immediately after the game his players gave him all the credit so ESPN wrote an article about it. Thats the extent to all your "greatness" comparisons.
    Honestly you're going full drama queen over this,just let it go already.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stevens is recognized as great coach by players and his peers. That’s the highest praise he can have. Keets, obviously there will be nothing he can do to impress you. If the Celtics lose it takes luster away from him. If they win it’s because if the players. This guy has won despite of so much adversity. He doesn’t have a James, Harden or Curry. His two best players are hurt. He just wins. I think this is just a case or sour grapes because Lue gets no love. Don’t take it out on Stevens. There is no other coach I’d rather have at this time for my team.

Stevens has one of the youngest teams in the NBA. Cleveland has the second oldest. They have Lebron. Casual fans would easily dismiss any coaching job by any Cleveland coach as not hard. Afterall they have their coach on the floor in LB. It’s not an indictment against Lue as much as praise for Jame’s greatness. Lue’s roll is different then a lot of head coaches. Not necessarily easier, just different. It is what it is.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@keets said:
    The Raptors are one tip and one circus shot away from possibly being up 2-1 in this series

this is "if your Aunt had balls" logic, but we all do it. the 76'ers are in the same boat, a shot or two away from being even 2-2 or up 3-1. after having watched al four Cavs/Raptors games and two-and-a-half Philly/Boston games, I have to say each series is exactly where it should be.

the Cavs certainly won based on a lot of the play by Lebron, but go look at the stat line for DeRozan, he was pretty much shut down and restricted by the Cavs in what he was able to do. with the other series, Philly was on fire but that is unsustainable. I think they were 20-1 before Boston?? insane!! now the Celtics are playing good.

one thing to remember(and I said earlier in the thread that I didn't think the Cavs could win in the Conference Finals) is that just as Cleveland struggled against the Pacers the Celtics struggled against Washington, and they were the number eight seed. don't misread the rest of this, but if Stevens is the new guru why did he struggle against Washington?? did he just figure out his Team in the last week??

I think it is a little less complex than that for both Teams, the Cavs and Celtics. they both have Coaches capable of winning the NBA Championship but as these things move along the players find there true selves. that is what makes the Warriors so good, they seem to be able to pull out something extra as the playoffs arrive and proceed.

Coaches can only do so much and these ones do a lot, but it ultimately comes down to the players. no matter how well Stevens draws up the plays, if Horford doesn't make space and the inbounds pass isn't perfect thay don't win. if the 76'ers make a routine in-bounds pass that Horford can't steal they might still be playing.

Steve Kerr is a great Coach, but that Team has proven that they can still play at a very high level without him. so it is with most other Teams, the HC can only do so much.

Not really. I was actually praising Lebrons greatness. Dimeman called out Toronto as being the number 1 seed into question. I was merely pointing out Toronto was very much in games 1&3 and anything short of James greatness they could of won those.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2018 1:04PM

If making four of the five 76ers defenders,including Embiid,vacate the area around the basket moving them all out to the 3pt line & beyond isn't catching the Philly coach by surprise,I don't know what is.
    He basically got the entire defense to leave Horford alone under the basket on a smaller player that is the equivalent of a coaching pantsing.

• Options

Stevens gets the most out of his players as well. He has done it at every level without compromise. That’s the difference between a good coach and a great coach. He is the later

m

• Options

my last words on the subject.

Honestly you're going full drama queen over this,just let it go already

here is what I originally said, the first comment about Stevens --- the one thing that is starting to really bug me --- the announcers and the general media have been talking up Brad Stevens as the new Guru. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but the hype is a bit much. perhaps he can coax another comeback from the Team.

he drew up a few plays. his players praised him. that is all sort of what happens on Teams, especially young Teams. what he didn't do is coax his players to fight back in a playoff game against one of their bigger rivals, they sort of gave up(as I noted in a page six post) and were beaten. instead of fighting he left one of his players get a technical by jawing with a Ref and then himself got a technical. he needs to do more to establish his greatness, because he wasn't so great in the first round when he couldn't coax a road victory out of his Team.

great Coaches aren't borne because of two plays, it takes more than that. they need to at least "win" something. I don't dislike Brad Stevens or even wish to disparage him, but the media attention is another thing. that is what I stated on page six.

good luck on Wednesday, I wish Coach Stevens and his Team the best of luck in closing out at home.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Cmon man, no one is comparing Brad Stevens to Bill Belichick especially not here. He drew up a couple plays that worked for a win then immediately after the game his players gave him all the credit so ESPN wrote an article about it. Thats the extent to all your "greatness" comparisons.
    Honestly you're going full drama queen over this,just let it go already.

Keets is known for drama. ;)

• Options

Like mark said above,you'll never be impressed with anything he does. Its not like he was dropped into a head coaching situation with three All-Stars in his starting lineup like some coaches,he's actually had to,you know,coach his team up to get this far. Its just sad you're so bitter over a couple days of attention that was well deserved.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2018 4:51PM

Keets just wow. Every time Cleveland gets pushed around we hear about it. Everytime announcers might be favoring the other team during a broadcast we hear about it. You discount the times they wax poetic on James ad nasusem. We hear about how James doesn’t get the calls. Drama? This is thread full of your drama. Not everybody is out to get Cleveland. You have a big problem with “ the announcers” and “the media”. Who cares? Who pays attention to that? Wait I know the answer to that one.

As for Brad Stevens goes you discount all his accomplishments over his entire career and trivialized it into, “ calling a few plays”. Then in the next breath you call him out for not being able to coax his team back during a blow out. Everyone gets blown out from time to time. Nothing he does will ever be good enough for you. Stevens doesn’t have to prove anything to you. Your comments on the subject have been off the charts ridiculous. It’s like your building a case for perfection that no one can achieve and youre the judge and jury.

You have a terrible habit of playing both sides against the middle in your analysis and in your predictions. That way you can almost never be wrong that way.

In no way is this rant to disparage you. You’ve just been keeted.

m

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if Houston and Golden State advance and play in round three how do you foresee that series playing out?

Same question for Cleveland and Boston if they advance and play in round 3?

• Options

"Brad is a genius, man. Unbelievable," Horford said during an on-court interview with ESPN immediately after Boston's win to take a 3-0 series lead.
    "That man Brad Stevens is a guru," Morris said. "He might have the best out-of-bounds plays I've ever seen. He called the switch [that got Horford on Covington at the end of overtime] and knew it was going to happen."
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23417899/al-horford-praises-boston-celtics-coach-brad-stevens-genius

Al, you're complaining about Brad Stevens players calling him a "genius" & "guru",his players,and TNT's two Game 4 announcers,one who is former Celtics player Kevin McHale, who were giving their opinions on Boston's coaches decisions made at the end of game 3 which was just 48hrs earlier.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    So if Houston and Golden State advance and play in round three how do you foresee that series playing out?

Same question for Cleveland and Boston if they advance and play in round 3?

I'd say GS & Cleveland both in 6.

• Options

I like the home teams. Houston and Boston. Or maybe it’s just what I and most others want to see. We have seen what Cleveland vs GS looks like enough.

mark

• Options

I definitely want Boston to win that series but i don't think they're up for that yet especially with the way that Cleveland has been playing of late. I'd love it if they end proving me wrong.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Paul Brown, Bill Belichick. Great coaches or just so smothered with great talent there was no way they could lose? Perhaps a bit of both. BTW I would trade Lue for Stevens in a heartbeat.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Paul Brown, Bill Belichick. Great coaches or just so smothered with great talent there was no way they could lose? Perhaps a bit of both. BTW I would trade Lue for Stevens in a heartbeat.

Nothing against Lue, but with the players the Cavs have I could coach them. If I was "Wired for Sound" you would hear me saying things like.....OK James bring it down and go ISO on anybody you feel comfortable with or if you want to kick it out to Korver or JR they like to make 3's.....or just pass it down to Love for a baseline move.....or just shoot a step back jumper!

A trained seal could coach them.......same with GS. :):o;)B)o:)>:)

• Options
    edited May 8, 2018 6:04PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

Nothing against Lue, but with the players the Cavs have I could coach them. If I was "Wired for Sound" you would hear me saying things like.....OK James bring it down and go ISO on anybody you feel comfortable with or if you want to kick it out to Korver or JR they like to make 3's.....or just pass it down to Love for a baseline move.....or just shoot a step back jumper!

A trained seal could coach them.......same with GS. :):o;)B)o:)>:)

I’m going with you couldn’t coach either of them. Just a hunch ; )

Sometimes coaching a team with multiple stars means there aren’t enough balls to go around. It can be just as challenging. Coaching egos is tough

Although with a name like Dimeman you have a great hoops moniker. That might buy you some time

mark

• Options
    edited May 8, 2018 6:06PM

Kevin Love would be Dimeman's biggest fan, they would be a perfect fit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyxOGG11jc

• Options

B)

• Options

get a grip guys, if you look at my original post about it I was complaining about the media, eric and mark needed to come defend him. the player quotes, what would you expect them to say??

I said Stevens was a good Coach in the original post, go check.

• Options

and Dimeman, you're just a trolling fool, I expect nothing else.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2018 7:29PM

@Brick said:

Brick almost every team if not all would take Stevens over their current coach . Of course no one would say that publicly. He’s young, a great communicator and super well respected by his players and those who play and coach around the league. Even more so by former greats who played the game. Danny Ainge hit the jackpot.

mark

• Options

someone please cut/paste where I have said Brad Stevens isn't a good Coach, please.
    eric, show me where I'm "hating" on Stevens, it might be in your head but it isn't in what I posted.

if you think I'm supposed to buy the hype you'll be waiting awhile. I don't even think Lue is a great Coach and he drew stuff up to do what NO OTHER TEAM OR HEAD COACH HAD DONE, he came from a 3-1 deficit and won two road games.

I believe it takes more than a few years for a Coach to achieve greatness. today, one commentator actually said Stevens might be the best HC right now, up there with Popovich. that kind of hype is just stupid.

you guys want to call me a drama queen but consider --- something happened from the last post I made on page six and the first post eric made on page seven, but it wasn't me.

we each just have a definition of what makes a coach great. mark thinks "it's getting the most out his players" but I think it's a lot more than that. so I guess we agree to disagree.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I definitely want Boston to win that series but i don't think they're up for that yet especially with the way that Cleveland has been playing of late. I'd love it if they end proving me wrong.

If Boston ends up winning in spite of Stevens abysmal coaching in game 4 all the match ups could be fun. I’m not a real fan of any of these teams.

Golden St vs Boston
    Houston vs Boston
    Houston vs Cleveland

I would love all of the above

Cleveland vs Golden St is the least appealing to this fan

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@erikthredd said:

If Boston ends up winning in spite of Stevens abysmal coaching in game 4 all the match ups could be fun. I’m not a real fan of any of these teams.

Golden St vs Boston
    Houston vs Boston
    Houston vs Cleveland

I would love all of the above

Cleveland vs Golden St is the least appealing to this fan

m

I'd love to see some change but i honestly don't think its gonna happen. If i were a betting man it would be all on GS winning again. As Curry keeps getting his legs under him they're going to just get better & better.I know Houston has had a great season so far i honestly don't think they can beat GS 4 times in a series.
    Boston is really gonna have their hands full with Lebron if/when they get past Philly. If they can win tomorrow night giving them some time for Jaylen Brown's hammy to heal up a bit it will certainly better their overall chances.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to be the best you need to beat the best. Cavs - Warriors is what I want to see. The best team by far against the team with the best player by far.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't be surprised to see Cavs/GS again in the Finals. I think this is what the Networks/advertisers hope for/want to see. Best TV ratings match up. Second would be a GS/Boston pairing in the Finals

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@keets said:
    someone please cut/paste where I have said Brad Stevens isn't a good Coach, please.
    eric, show me where I'm "hating" on Stevens, it might be in your head but it isn't in what I posted.

if you think I'm supposed to buy the hype you'll be waiting awhile. I don't even think Lue is a great Coach and he drew stuff up to do what NO OTHER TEAM OR HEAD COACH HAD DONE, he came from a 3-1 deficit and won two road games.

I believe it takes more than a few years for a Coach to achieve greatness. today, one commentator actually said Stevens might be the best HC right now, up there with Popovich. that kind of hype is just stupid.

you guys want to call me a drama queen but consider --- something happened from the last post I made on page six and the first post eric made on page seven, but it wasn't me.

we each just have a definition of what makes a coach great. mark thinks "it's getting the most out his players" but I think it's a lot more than that. so I guess we agree to disagree.

B)

• Options

The Celtics confirm backup point guard Shane Larkin is out for the foreseeable future.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The Celtics confirm backup point guard Shane Larkin is out for the foreseeable future.

That's far from good

mark

• Options

Yup,hopefully Boston's short rotation gets it done tonight. That's if the NBA doesn't try to extend the series.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game 1 of Houston v. Golden State should be interesting. Houston played great in the regular season and ran away with the #1 seed. The Rockets seek to beat the defending champions; and Golden State has played much better in the playoffs than in the latter part of the regular season.

I wonder if the game will be close or if it will be one sided.

If one sided, in whose favor will it be?

Tonight will possibly send Boston on to round 3 to face Cleveland.

I think both Conference finals will be highly entertaining. Lots of story lines to write/speak about all of the teams who make it to round three.

• Options

The conference finals maybe better then the finals. Two evenly matched teams as they sit

m

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Yup,hopefully Boston's short rotation gets it done tonight. That's if the NBA doesn't try to extend the series.

Boston favored by one point as I type

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@erikthredd said:

Boston favored by one point as I type

m

Lets hope the league doesn't decide to use the same ref from game four again.
    http://www.weei.com/blogs/alex-reimer/absurdly-lopsided-officiating-celtics-sixers-was-easy-predict

• Options

the Conference Finals should be good.

I will assume that Boston will win the semi's, either tonight or in a few days. one interesting point is that all the Teams that are set have been able to win on the road. even Boston won on the road against Philly. the Warriors lead the pack because they have been quite good on the road, even Houston and Cleveland have gotten it done away.

if Philly wants to advance that's what they need to do, not just once but twice. it is a steep hill.

• Options

did anyone hear the announcer as the game was getting ready to start?? they're showing fans walking in and he says "................expecting a sellout crowd for Game 5!!!" holy cow, ya think???

the first quarter left me thinking Boston should be up by more than just a point, they played good D and Sixers got sloppy for some easy turnovers. the Celtics didn't shoot very well, though. it's interesting that Boston has stopped Philly from taking very many three's and playing rough in the lane.

did anyone see Al Horford grab Reddick's arm and then push him to the floor as the pass was coming for an easy lay-up?? how do the Refs miss those kind of things??

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boston needs to finish off Philly tonight. If they don't, there's going to be an avalanche of momentum that could drag this thing to 7, then anything can happen.

As for the finals, it sure feels like GS-Cle all over again. Hope I am wrong -- especially for Houston's sake -- but right now I'm not seeing it any other way.

If the Sixers pull off the unthinkable, I'll revisit my prediction.

• Options

Great first half.

m

• Options

and Boston closes out the last minute with speed!!! how did Tatum beat three guys WHILE DRIBBLING to the basket?? holy crap.

I think the difference so far has been Boston's choice to shut Philly down at the arc and leave the lane open. add to that Marcus Smart getting to the line often and Boston is rolling.

I think JJ Reddick is gonna pop a vein, he seems frustrated with the tight coverage on him. does he have any points yet??

• Options

mark the time, 6:04 left in the third quarter and Philly is done. it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose by 20+. congrats to the Boston Celtics.

going to bed.

• Options

@keets said:
    mark the time, 6:04 left in the third quarter and Philly is done. it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose by 20+. congrats to the Boston Celtics.

going to bed.

I think you left too soon....Philly up by 2 with 8 min. left. Boston can for sure still win, but it's not a done deal.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2018 7:58PM

Best game of the playoffs

Unreal finish

They out executed Philly down the stretch

M

• Options

Sure looked like Embiid was fouled...several times. But that is playoff Basketball.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 8:01PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Best game of the playoffs

Unreal finish

They out executed Philly down the stretch

M

no doubt. the Cs made the plays and Philly didn't

now it's time for keets and erik to scrap ;)

edit: the wide-open missed 3 by Redick was a killer