Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Playoffs begin on Saturday.

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason for giving Curry the MVP. His recent comments about Trump, not visiting the White House, etc.

In a close call such as this, the sportswriters being what they are, don't think this doesn't come into play.

Now that i thought about it for a minute, i'm making the call...Curry will win the MVP, and if I'm wrong, then i'm wrong. ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 7:42PM

Mixed emotion: Being a GS fan and holding game 5 tickets.

:)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

to say that george hill sucks would be a colossal insult to every single thing in life that sucks

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labron has committed 5 or 6 offensive fouls so far and they have called 2 of them...….not bad.....refs get a D+.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Mixed emotion: Being a GS fan and holding game 5 tickets.

:)

What happed to Sandy? ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

if I can't find anything in the refrigerator to smash down and puke I may just drink some ipecac in honor of the Cavs.
    you owe your fans an apology.

Don't drink the ipecac it will go like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKdN1xQBjk

• Options

Getting mighty ugly out there in Cleveland tonight.

The Warriors should turn it down a notch.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do they play like this in THIS game?? it's insulting.

• Options

This game is getting even uglier than the Mets 2018 baseball season, and that's gotten pretty ugly. ;)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 9:12PM

It could be as simple as the Warriors being just that much better. This is the kind of game I thought we would see all series. Or it could be the Cavs quitting on each other. Maybe a bit of both

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I think Jeff Van Gundy would like to marry Labron……...good grief!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Cleveland played hard in the first quarter and part of the second quarter. When they were unable to rally and take a lead at the half the fight went out of them. They likely realized GS would make a third quarter run. It did and the game was over. James seemed resignex to a loss and did not play with the firehe usually displays. He tried to create open shots for his teammates repeatedly. He passed to them and thw mostly did not deliver.

Very surprised the Cleveland fans did not give James a standing ovation when he went to the bench in the 4th quarter. What is up with that?

GS played very well and clearly wanted a sweep. Congrats to them.

Condolences to Keets.

• Options

Congrats Kevin!!

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2018 9:18PM

@stevek said:
    Another reason for giving Curry the MVP. His recent comments about Trump, not visiting the White House, etc.

In a close call such as this, the sportswriters being what they are, don't think this doesn't come into play.

Downright silly. They got it right. Durant joins Hakeem, Lebron, MJ, Shaq and Kobe I believe as the only back to back Finals MVPs. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong

m

• Options

Thanks Mark.

I have followed GS since I moved to the Bay Area in 1986, but am at best a casual fan of the team. I mostly enjoy watching basketball played well because I played in high school and small college. The team I am a life long fan of is the Denver Broncos.

GS has had a good run over the past 5 years. 5 years ago they made the playoffs for after a long dry spell (since the early 90's they made the playoffs only once, in 2007). The lost a 7 games series to the Clippers. In 2015 they won their first title since 1975. That was exciting. Since 2015 they have played in 3 more finals and won 2 of them. They should compete again next year and beyond if they can keep their core players together.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

Downright silly. They got it right. Durant joins Hakeem, Lebron, MJ, Shaq and Kobe I believe as the only back to back Finals MVPs. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong

m

Well, lots of comments out there from many who thought Curry was robbed.

Frankly, I couldn't care less either way. LOL

Now the interesting story is where LeBron will play next season...here's to the Philadelphia 76ers.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe things go differently if LeBron hadn't punched a chalk board after game 1 and injured his hand.
    Pretty stupid move!!

• Options

34.5% overall from the field.
    68% from the free throw line!!!
    29.6% from the arc.

how do you play like that, how do you shoot like that in THIS GAME AT HOME??? that is ridiculous. don't read anything into this, but the Warriors didn't shoot exceptional overall, they averaged where I've said all along that Teams tend to average, and yet the Cavs couldn't hit open shots, mid-range shots, three point shots, lay-ups or put-backs. they missed shot after shot, on some occasions two on a trip downcourt. they missed shots after a turnover. I'd have to re-watch the game but I think they invented ways to miss shots!!

they choked, there's just no other way to put it and it's embarrassing. when the Cavs were swept in ?2007? by San Antonio it was Lebron against the World but they had other players in this Finals and the result is the same. as much as it pains me to say it, I would help him pack after this.

shameful.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Golden State. They know how to put teams away. I felt Cleveland couldn't recover from losing Kyrie. If he stayed in Cleveland they would have been a much better team. They may have won a game or two in the finals but even with Kyrie the Warriors would have had a fairly easy time of winning the championship.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Curry is unreal. He is in range as soon as he crosses midcourt!

I used to play basketball with Dennis Scott before he made it to the NBA. There was an outdoor court, a little smaller than regulation, where we would have pick up games and he would jack it up any time he got past half court if you weren't paying attention. With Curry we would have had to worry about him shooting as soon as he got a rebound. Curry is the best shooter I've ever seen.

Robb

• Options
    edited June 9, 2018 7:51AM

Brian Windhorst

@WindhorstESPN
    LeBron James suffered a significant right hand injury after Game 1 when he punched a black board in the locker room, sources told me & @mcten. He had 2 MRIs & has been wearing a soft cast. LeBron not using injury as an excuse but kept quiet to prevent Warriors from knowing.

At least he was Smart enough to make it a board and not a picture frame.

• Options

This "hand injury" didn't seem to affect James that much. And I never saw any kind of cast soft or otherwise.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

m

Now the interesting story is where LeBron will play next season...here's to the Philadelphia 76ers.

The silly comment was that the sportwriters would vote for Curry based on the fact he mentioned that the Warriors would skip the White House and it would sway the vote to him. The vote was 7-4 for Durant. If Curry would have won I would have had zero issue with it based on his play. You would have also attributed it to the sportswriter bias. It didn’t happen. Conspiracy theory avoided. Drats

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

m

The silly comment was that the sportwriters would vote for Curry based on the fact he mentioned that the Warriors would skip the White House and it would sway the vote to him. The vote was 7-4 for Durant. If Curry would have won I would have had zero issue with it based on his play. You would have also attributed it to the sportswriter bias. It didn’t happen. Conspiracy theory avoided. Drats

m

So you don't believe that reasons other than performance can come into play when sportswriter voting takes place? Now that would be silly...and quite naive.

Take a look at the history of MLB Hall of Fame voting for an example. Such as some sportswriters not voting for an obvious first ballot Hall of Famer which can only be for reasons other than performance.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

m

m

So you don't believe that reasons other than performance can come into play when sportswriter voting takes place? Now that would be silly...and quite naive.

Take a look at the history of MLB Hall of Fame voting for an example. Such as some sportswriters not voting for an obvious first ballot Hall of Famer which can only be for reasons other than performance.

Yes, it makes you wonder how Stan Musial,Babe Ruth,Nolan Ryan and others rubbed the sportswriters the wrong way, resulting in them not being unanimous choices. What did they do to sway those voters to not vote for them. Would of liked to seen their reasons. Same for the ones who will not vote for Jeter.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2018 6:54PM

Indeed if the sportswriters didn't like you they could keep you from winning awards. In this case Steve was implying that Curry might win the award because the sportswriters might like the fact that Curry snubbed the President. Didnt happen. This had zero to do with rubbing the sports writers the wrong way.

It's ok to be wrong as you stated in your post.

mark

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Brian Windhorst

@WindhorstESPN
    LeBron James suffered a significant right hand injury after Game 1 when he punched a black board in the locker room, sources told me & @mcten. He had 2 MRIs & has been wearing a soft cast. LeBron not using injury as an excuse but kept quiet to prevent Warriors from knowing.

At least he was Smart enough to make it a board and not a picture frame.

On ESPN radio last night I believe the report I listened to stated he also punched a metal (?) locker.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Either way it was a complete dumbass move that one,should never had happened,and two,it should never had been made public minutes after their loss. Reaction everywhere today is this was Lebron making an excuse for losing the finals again.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

m

m

Yes, it makes you wonder how Stan Musial,Babe Ruth,Nolan Ryan and others rubbed the sportswriters the wrong way, resulting in them not being unanimous choices. What did they do to sway those voters to not vote for them. Would of liked to seen their reasons. Same for the ones who will not vote for Jeter.

At least I can understand if a sportswriter didn't like a player for whatever reason, then not voting for him.

What I never understood is the reason some sportswriters have given for not voting for a player in his first year of eligibility, only because it's his first year of eligibility.

They simply will not vote for any player in their first year of eligibility, which to me is totally ridiculous.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Either way it was a complete dumbass move that one,should never had happened,and two,it should never had been made public minutes after their loss. Reaction everywhere today is this was Lebron making an excuse for losing the finals again.

Sometimes I wonder if I really want this guy coming to Philly.

Yea, i'll admit, i want him...but I've got a bad feeling it's going to turn out like it was with Chip Kelly...really looked forward to him coming, but then really looked forward to him going.

Maybe another poor analogy would be like most women I've been with...couldn't wait to date them, then after a while couldn't wait to never see them again - LOL

• Options

eric, is it possible "the punch" was a made up story?? hearing it here is the first for me and I live in the Cleveland area, Sportswriters and fans would be talking about it and from what I hear they are not. trust me, there are guys from the local media that have better access to Lebron than the national writers, though the national writers have a bigger penchant for gossip, especially when the work for ESPN.

I will post if the local media says anything. perhaps they have and I missed it.

• Options
    edited June 10, 2018 8:07AM

The article i got that from had quotes from Lebron saying that is what happened. He said he was wearing a soft cast when he was talking to the media after game four and had been wearing in-between games since it happened after game one.

found it:
    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/06/09/lebron-james-played-last-three-games-with-bone-bruise-in-right-hand/

_LeBron came into his post-game press conference with his right hand wrapped in a soft cast.

“What happened? Self-inflicted, postgame after Game 1,” LeBron said from the podium. “Very emotional. For a lot of different reasons, understanding how important a Game 1 is on the road for our ballclub, what would that have done for us, the way we played, the calls that were made throughout the course of that game…

“Pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand, so that’s what it is.”_

• Options

He plays pretty good with a "broken" hand! LOL

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    He plays pretty good with a "broken" hand! LOL

I think he could play well with no hands

m

• Options

Better he punch the chalkboard than JR.

• Options

This thread has been a good one. Lots of good discussion about the different playoff series and the individual players who stood out this year