Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Playoffs begin on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

If my memory is correct (a big IF), it seems like the conversation on this forum about the NBA the entire playoffs this season (first round through the finals) has, so far, been more active and robust than in prior years.

Most of the conversation this year has been about the Eastern Conference. The story lines from the Eastern Conference playoffs have been pretty good and provide good grist for the forum water cooler mill. I like having the Celtics and Sixers playing each other again. Seeing Cleveland play so well is both surprising and not surprising at the same time. Cleveland has had up and down regular seasons since James returned from Miami but once the playoffs start a different team emerges. Seeing the younger, very talented players perform in the playoffs is a treat.

In the Western Conference the first round loss by OKC to Utah is an example of team oriented play prevailing over a team that relies heavily on ISO plays. Westbrook is a phenomenal talent, but his style of play at times leaves his teammates standing around waiting for him to act.

Utah v. Houston is interesting. Games three and four in Utah will be telling. How will Houston perform on the road.

Golden State this year is a mirror image of Cleveland. It had an up and down regular season but so far has been a totally different team in the playoffs. The first round series with the Spurs was not a track meet. The 5 games were slow paced, as the Spurs tend to play. The second round series with New Orleans has been more up tempo. With Curry back in the line up the Warriors style of play becomes more open floor. It could mean that some games will be track meets with high scores. New Orleans can play that type of game very well. However Golden State has a deeper roster. Game three tonight in New Orleans should be interesting. If Golden State wins one game on the road it will likely win the series and advance to the Western Conference finals. Utah vs. Houston is a toss up at this time.

I do not see Toronto winning the next two in Cleveland. If they do not win the next two games to tie up the series, Cleveland should win and progress to the Eastern Conference finals. Philly had better win games 3 and 4 at home. It may be that Philly's roster is too young to handle the playoff pressure. It may well be Boston v. Cleveland in the Eastern Conference finals.

It would be amazing to see Cleveland and James make it back to the Finals.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still going with another Cavs-Warriors Finals. Now that Curry is back I can see GS just taking it to another level.

• Options

Jayson Tatum's last 4 games put him in some pretty elite company:
    Jayson Tatum (20 years, 61 days) is now the youngest player to ever score 20+ PTS in 4 straight playoff games. The previous youngest was Kobe Bryant (20 years, 272 days) who accomplished that feat in 1999.
    He’s also the first Celtics rookie since Larry Bird to score 20-plus points in four straight playoff games.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Jayson Tatum (20 years, 61 days) is now the youngest player to ever score 20+ PTS in 4 straight playoff games. The previous youngest was Kobe Bryant (20 years, 272 days) who accomplished that feat in 1999.
    He’s also the first Celtics rookie since Larry Bird to score 20-plus points in four straight playoff games.

Tatum is in pretty good company there. ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

Tatum is in pretty good company there. ;)

Hopefully he keeps it going on the road.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 5:15PM

These Celtics are pretty easy to root for especially under these circumstances

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it was nice to see the Pelicans pick the Warriors apart, it looked like after awhile that GS just gave up. at times Klay Thompson looked frustrated because he couldn't stop drives and expected help. to me, that means the Pelicans were switching effectively. of course it helped that they were shooting at a high rate of success, 50%, while Golden State was terrible.

it's hard to understand how the change of venue can make such a difference, but it does. if the Warriors don't get things together Game 4 will be interesting.

a final note, it looked like Dramond Green tried his bully act early and it didn't work, he was scolded by the Refs.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2018 8:22AM

@keets said:
    it was nice to see the Pelicans pick the Warriors apart, it looked like after awhile that GS just gave up. at times Klay Thompson looked frustrated because he couldn't stop drives and expected help. to me, that means the Pelicans were switching effectively. of course it helped that they were shooting at a high rate of success, 50%, while Golden State was terrible.

it's hard to understand how the change of venue can make such a difference, but it does. if the Warriors don't get things together Game 4 will be interesting.

a final note, it looked like Dramond Green tried his bully act early and it didn't work, he was scolded by the Refs.

I only caught a few minutes of last night's game but Draymond & Rondo looked like they were gonna go at it. After Lance Stephenson,you won't find any two other players as annoying as those two.

I can't wait for tonight's East games. Boston hasn't been able to get over that "win on the road" hump so far. They'll need Rozier to have a good night shooting the ball for them to win. His only knock on his play so far has been his shooting percentage on the road. Hopefully he comes thru and Boston goes up 3-0.

• Options

Green reminds me a little of Rodman.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Green reminds me a little of Rodman.

Green & Rodman have nothing on Brad Marchand who takes getting under your skin to a whole new level.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2018 5:14PM

@erikthredd said:
    :):):):):)

Are you still breathing?

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@erikthredd said:
    :):):):):)

Are you still breathing?

m

Not yet, I'm waiting for the confetti to finish falling first.

• Options

Incredible shot by Lebron for the win. Both games today had great endings.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game two, Toronto gave up. Game three, they fought to the end. Game four?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

I think Lebron James is gonna make me have nervous breakdown. I mean, really, are you freakin' kidding me??? who does that?? floating in the air, one handed off the glass, nothing but net as the clock hits zero. who does that???? the thing about "the Shot" is that it over-shadows a really great night by Kevin Love and a valiant comeback by the Raptors, led by Lowry and some clutch three's.

just a brilliant buzzer-beater game ender to top off a really fantastic night of Basketball. the starter between the Celtics and Sixers probably got peoples hearts pumping, but who could have foreseen the Cavs ending.

• Options

Who does that you ask?

The King, that is who.

Fantastic finish.

Toronto is done. No way the Raptors win 4 straight. Same with Philly.

Cavs and Celtics will play for the eastern conference title.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Who does that you ask?

The King, that is who.

Fantastic finish.

Toronto is done. No way the Raptors win 4 straight. Same with Philly.

Cavs and Celtics will play for the eastern conference title.

I'm afraid you are right. :(

• Options

I think the Raptors took a page out of the Pacers playbook and decided to play James really physical. Casey switched a few times and it seemed whoever was guarding him just leaned into him, grabbed him and did whatever they could get away with. as far as that goes I think it was the most physical I have ever seen the Cavs play, both Teams were sort of rough. maybe it was a strategy change, maybe desperation to just win, but it isn't the style of BB that I know and appreciate.

the brightest aspect of the whole game was the stretch at the end of the third quarter where Kevin Love dominated every end of the floor. he scored, rebounded, passed, defended, blocked and there was nothing that Toronto could do. it allowed Lebron to sit for longer than he had anticipated. we laughed because it was redemption time for a season of dogging. :)

• Options

Kevin Love, when he chooses to be so, is a phenomenal player.

• Options

I just read a game recap and the Cavs are really, really, really in the heads of the Raptors' players and Coach Casey. it sort of equates to the old Houston Oilers frustrations with getting beaten year after year in the season and playoffs by the Pittsburgh Steelers. maybe someone can find the archived video, but Oilers HC Bum Phillips had a memorable speech at the end of one season in the Astrodome.

paraphrased, he told the roaring crowd: "For the past few years we've been knocking on the door, next season we're going to kick the SOB in!!!"

they never were able to get past the Steelers even though they had some fine years with Warren Moon. that seems to be what is happening now with Toronto. Lowry had a very good game but Derozan was cold as ice, got in foul trouble and sat. their big man was on the bench after being neutralized. for the second time in three games, when it really counted the Raptors gave the ball to Van Fleet for an important shot and he missed. why him, why not Lowry??

I expect a brawl on Monday, from both the Raptors and 76'ers. Philly seems to have run out of answers and gotten cold at the wrong time of the season, to have a critical game like that one come down to two bad inbound plays is just ridiculous. Al Horford rose up in the clutch and carried his Team to victory, very impressive and inspired play by him.

--- a comment on "the Shot" by Lebron James. we're watching some highlights right now and I have seen that play about 15-20 times and still can't believe it. I'd like Dimeman to comment on it. the GOAT discussion narrows with each season, each Playoff, each key game and every shot like that. watching that play, Lebron James looked as much as Michael Jordan as I have ever seen him. Mike could get that high in the air, higher than anyone could ever get to defend him and Lebron is right there. the debate rages with some fans who believe Kobe Bryant would be their pick over Lebron, but it is really a two horse race.

right now Lebron James has an advantage over Michael Jordan --- with Mike we are limited to our memory and archived footage, with 'Bron we get to experience it "in the moment" with all that goes with the game.

a question: Can anyone imagine what it would have been like for these two men to have played on opposing Teams at the same time in their respective careers?? OMG!!

• Options

I didn't get to see the shot last night. I haven't been able to watch the last few nights because of other stuff going on. I did see the shot James made at the buzzer against the Pacers. He is no doubt a great player, but I and the people making the list still have Jordan at #1 and it is stated in the list that they don't see anyway for Mike to lose the spot. And Kobe is more like Jordan than James is. Those three are all super players.

• Options

@keets said:
    I just read a game recap and the Cavs are really, really, really in the heads of the Raptors' players and Coach Casey. it sort of equates to the old Houston Oilers frustrations with getting beaten year after year in the season and playoffs by the Pittsburgh Steelers. maybe someone can find the archived video, but Oilers HC Bum Phillips had a memorable speech at the end of one season in the Astrodome.

paraphrased, he told the roaring crowd: "For the past few years we've been knocking on the door, next season we're going to kick the SOB in!!!"

they never were able to get past the Steelers even though they had some fine years with Warren Moon. that seems to be what is happening now with Toronto. Lowry had a very good game but Derozan was cold as ice, got in foul trouble and sat. their big man was on the bench after being neutralized. for the second time in three games, when it really counted the Raptors gave the ball to Van Fleet for an important shot and he missed. why him, why not Lowry??

I expect a brawl on Monday, from both the Raptors and 76'ers. Philly seems to have run out of answers and gotten cold at the wrong time of the season, to have a critical game like that one come down to two bad inbound plays is just ridiculous. Al Horford rose up in the clutch and carried his Team to victory, very impressive and inspired play by him.

--- a comment on "the Shot" by Lebron James. we're watching some highlights right now and I have seen that play about 15-20 times and still can't believe it. I'd like Dimeman to comment on it. the GOAT discussion narrows with each season, each Playoff, each key game and every shot like that. watching that play, Lebron James looked as much as Michael Jordan as I have ever seen him. Mike could get that high in the air, higher than anyone could ever get to defend him and Lebron is right there. the debate rages with some fans who believe Kobe Bryant would be their pick over Lebron, but it is really a two horse race.

right now Lebron James has an advantage over Michael Jordan --- with Mike we are limited to our memory and archived footage, with 'Bron we get to experience it "in the moment" with all that goes with the game.

a question: Can anyone imagine what it would have been like for these two men to have played on opposing Teams at the same time in their respective careers?? OMG!!

keets Honestly that series has gone pretty much the way i expected it to. Toronto is a great team but they just can't past Lebron. To take your Steelers reference even further this one-sided Cavs-Raptors history reminds me of Brady vs the Steelers, Pittsburgh just can't get by Brady especially when it matters most.

If all goes to plan and we see Boston-Cleveland next round I hope we don't see a similar scenario as this Cavs-Raptors series.
    After watching that last Cavs-C's game a few months ago when the Cavs blew out the Celtics with Kyrie in Boston I honestly thought Cleveland was in their heads at that point. That was the game that Boston's front office scheduled to retire Paul Pierce's jersey number so there were about 20-30 former C's all-time greats in the stands for the ceremony and that was also the first game that the Cavs played after the trade deadline when they added Hood,Hill,Clarkson & Nance. It ended up being Boston's worst loss at home this season and looked even worse for Kyrie who tried bailing his team out with the hero-ball three attempts before Stevens sat him for good late in the 3rd. That whole 4th quarter when Lebron's new teammates kept hitting threes while making stops on D, the cameramen kept showing Kyrie sitting on the bench looking overwhelmed.

This is kind of why i've said more than once to you that I'd like to see how this current C's team without Kyrie would match-up with Lebron & the Cavs if they met up down the line and its looking like they will. I want to see how they attempt to stop Lebron and on the other end who will be that go-to guy without Kyrie. I think Brad Stevens game-plan vs Giannis was a good preview how they decide to play Lebron on defense.

All i've wanted from Boston's young players in these playoffs is to get tested as much as possible and going up against the best can only make them better in the long run. I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto or Philly wins this next game for pride's sake but that C's-Cavs series is definitely coming and i'm really looking forward to it.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I didn't get to see the shot last night. I haven't been able to watch the last few nights because of other stuff going on. I did see the shot James made at the buzzer against the Pacers. He is no doubt a great player, but I and the people making the list still have Jordan at #1 and it is stated in the list that they don't see anyway for Mike to lose the spot. And Kobe is more like Jordan than James is. Those three are all super players.

Here is last nights game winner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzvoBrePFy4

• Options

I think had Lebron & Jordan played at the same time it might have been similar to what we saw from Tom Brady & Peyton Manning over the past 20 years. Both played in the same conference and their teams pretty much had to go thru the other if it wanted to win a championship. Just think what they're playoffs/SB numbers could have been if they weren't in the same conference during the same era. A Jordan-Lebron rivalry would have been epic.

• Options

eric, there is a very stark contrast with your Manning/Brady reference --- that is more of a referendum on the Patriots and Colts since Brady and Manning never really "play" against each other. with Jordan and James there would have been a high likelihood that they would be guarding each other at various points in the game(s). this is why I enjoy BB so much.

even in Baseball they always make a big deal out of pitchers "facing each other" when they never really do.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 10:24AM

I was definitely looking at it in more of a playing in the same conference scenario than actual head to head in a game. It would be a great matchup at times but i honestly think had Jordan's Bulls & Lebron's Cavs been facing each other in the same era,Jordan wouldn't even be covering Lebron on defense it would have been Rodman or even Pippen for most of the game.
    Someone needs to set up Jordan's Bulls vs Lebron's Cavs in the NBA Live simulator then see what happens. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Why didn't someone pick him up and attempt to guard him!? Looks like they all backed away and let him have a free shot.

How in the world did the Raptors end up with the best record in the East???!!!

• Options

Of the major US pro sports basketball gives the most change of a one on one match up between star players.

Hockey would be next.

Baseball and football lag far behind.

Jordan vs. James, Jordon vs Bryant, James vs. Bryant, etc. Would be and was great to see..

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Why didn't someone pick him up and attempt to guard him!? Looks like they all backed away and let him have a free shot.

How in the world did the Raptors end up with the best record in the East???!!!

The degree of difficulty on the shot alone was pretty incredible. He never squares up with the basket and momentum had his body going out of bounds toward the endline, to be able to just float it up one handed high off the glass and sink it was pretty amazing.

The Raptors are a very good team compared to the majority of other NBA teams especially in the East. They have two All-Star players,a deep bench & a solid HC, the Cavs are just a bad matchup for them. You also gotta believe there is something to the " in their head" part of it as well.

• Options

That was sick shot that most do not make. The degree of difficulty was off the charts. You want someone to take that kind of shot

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    That was sick shot that most do not make. The degree of difficulty was off the charts. You want someone to take that kind of shot

m

True, but don't you still guard him....especially since it is James. He probably practices that shot all the time.

• Options

He’s not “guardable” at times

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    He’s not “guardable” at times

m

Mark....I know that too. Watch the clip. He just strolled down.......didn't make any kid of move.....everyone just let him go. Why would you give the other teams best player a wide open shot to win the game.

Raptors deserve to lose!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Exactly. And you don't want to foul him and hand the gaem over on free throws, either.

Dimeman, your bias against James is so obvious when you post yet all he does is continue proving you wrong.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Exactly. And you don't want to foul him and hand the gaem over on free throws, either.

Dimeman, your bias against James is so obvious when you post yet all he does is continue proving you wrong.

How in the HE__ is my post bias against James!!!! Plus I have always put him up there with the best all time.

I'm just saying guard him and not give him a free shot!!!

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 2:22PM

That was a circus shot. If Cleveland would have missed it would have been said, “ was that the best shot they could muster?” Im sure Toronto would have rather him take that shot then have him take it all the way to the rack or pulling up for a 12 ft jump shot dumping it off to another player for a bunny. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat. Only a handful of players have the nerve to take that shot under pressure let alone make it.

Toronto has tried to guard him all series tight and it hasn’t worked.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    That was a circus shot. If Cleveland would have missed it would have been said, “ was that the best shot they could muster?” Im sure Toronto would have rather him take that shot then have him take it all the way to the rack or pulling up for a 12 ft jump shot dumping it off to another player for a bunny. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat. Only a handful of players have the nerve to take that shot under pressure let alone make it.

m

What pressure! If he misses....you go to OT. Pressure is when you miss....you lose. ;)

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 2:30PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

What pressure! If he misses....you go to OT. Pressure is when you miss....you lose. ;)

Oh ok. Wow

And for the record Toronto did have a player on him and they wanted him to go to his left and he did. James was just better

m

• Options

The shot James made last night to win Game 3 is similar to a shot Curry made 1 or 2 years ago to win an overtime game in OKC.

In both cases the defending team (Toronto last night and OKC years ago) did not defend James or Curry as soon as they received the ball. Both players brought the ball up the court without challenge into the front court. James and Curry were able to put themselves in a position on the floor to where they could run down the clock and shoot the final shot of each game. A defender picked up James as he drove towards the basket before shooting his fall away game winning bank shot. Curry took one dribble across half court and seeing no one picking him up he shot from about 30' away from the basket.

Both shots went in. Time expired. Game over, twice.

Had the opposing teams chosen to pick up James last night and Curry years ago with one or two defenders in the back court and not allowed either player to bring the ball into the front court unimpeded, at least time would have become more of a factor. The game winning shots would have been harder to accomplish.

So I tend to agree with Dimeman. Someone should have tried to defend James as soon as he received the ball.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 2:42PM

That Lebron shot was reminiscent of this Magic three to beat the Celtics in 1987. Its at the :54 second mark. I remember watching this game when i was a kid and was stunned that he hit that game-winner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bn2sucJWBE

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 2:47PM

If there was less time on the clock I would agree. With 8 seconds left the entire play book is open. They tried to deny James the ball out of bounds. They had two defenders on him

Sometimes you have to pick your poison.

m

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

LOL, you keep proiving my point and you don't eevn realize it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Watching GS play......all of this is a moot point. Everybody is playing their hearts out to see who loses to GS in the Finals!

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

LOL.....how does this statement make your point! You don't even have a point! You're a joke...just like your Mets!!

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 3:06PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

LOL.....how does this statement make your point! You don't even have a point! You're a joke...just like your Mets!!

You find fault or a reason to downplay anything James does. The joke is on you in this case, lol..

The Mets have won a pennant and reached the world championship in the past 20+ years (twice, actually)...unlike the Cowboys, LOL..

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

You find fault or a reason to downplay anything James does. The joke is on you in this case, lol..

The Mets have won a pennant and reached the world championship in the past 20+ years (twice, actually)...unlike the Cowboys, LOL..

WOW...what a come back! First I wasn't downplaying James and Second I will take the Cowboys 5 SB's over your Met's 2 WS's anyday! :o:)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

WOW...what a come back! First I wasn't downplaying James and Second I will take the Cowboys 5 SB's over your Met's 2 WS's anyday! :o:)B)

Ancient history, man. How many playoff games have you won in the past 20 years? Even the Jets have won more over that span.

You downplay James all the time. You just don't realize it. This was only the latest occasion.

It's not really debatable.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Ancient history, man. How many playoff games have you won in the past 20 years? Even the Jets have won more over that span.

You downplay James all the time. You just don't realize it. This was only the latest occasion.

It's not really debatable.

Sorry...they all count...all 5 of them! Sorry I corrected you on James......after all you are always right. LOL

• Options

Golden State runs away from NO today to take a 3 to 1 lead. Absent a total collapse GS should advance to the Western Conference Finals.