Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 9:40AM

Sure, and I bet the Astros would win the World Series last season, too, Steve.

C'mon, now, if you didn't post it here or anywhere for that matter beforehand, it really doesn't matter much more than a grain of salt or a daily double slip after the second race was ran, now, does it? LOL..

And again, do you think any of the QBs in this year's draft is as good or better than Carson Wentz?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of projections, Steve, I seem to recall one that you did make most famously here after Ryan Howard signed that bloated, long term contract, by declaring it was a wise move even after you were warned otherwise. How did that one turn out? LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 10:06AM

@stevek said:

Some good advice for ya...don't quit your day job to become a GM. LOL

Trust me, I'm more than good in the career department. Plus, I'd never take a GM gig because it would take away from my ability to incite charlatans such as yourself. That is invaluable.

Are you going to answer the question I posed? C'mon, please tell everyone watching that an extremely risky, interchangeable quarterback who won't see the field until Eli Manning is gone will be more valuable and add more wins to a moribund team that has had no running game to speak of over the past 5 years. A running game so inept that it in essence paralyzed the entire offense, especially when the quarterback was forced to throw to guys who were pulled off the street due to numerous injuries. In no way, shape or form will a generational RB prospect improve every facet of said offense and be a better option than the next incarnation of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, John Elway, and Dan Marino -- all of whom are clearly available in this year's draft and will have Jonathan Stewart at their disposal to average 2.1 yards per carry to alleviate any and all pressure that might be forthcoming.

Will you please elucidate everyone's world and tell us this? :D

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you are going to draft a quarterback its much better to not drop him right into the starting spot . That means get them at least a year before you need them . If you are going to draft a running back you probably think fullbacks are important too :D .

Seriously go to the vicinity of any major college football program and hire a running back from the local McDonalds for league minimum and a year later hire another. Running backs are not important at all. Nice if they fall in your lap but have a good Oline and a system you can plug a serviceable running back and you are good to go.

Remember the last year the Patriots won a superbowl Blount had 18 rushing TD's and they discarded him , then Philly picked him up won a superbowl and also discarded him.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Speaking of projections, Steve, I seem to recall one that you did make most famously here after Ryan Howard signed that bloated, long term contract, by declaring it was a wise move even after you were warned otherwise. How did that one turn out? LOL..

It was a wise move at the time...however it turned out poorly.

But that's a poor analogy on your part. That call is not the same as this call in the draft. I didn't make any personal player predictions here. I haven't even thoroughly analyzed the QBs yet. Just describing what is the best way for teams to go forward in this draft based on previous successful teams and how they do it.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

Some good advice for ya...don't quit your day job to become a GM. LOL

Trust me, I'm more than good in the career department. Plus, I'd never take a GM gig because it would take away from my ability to incite charlatans such as yourself. That is invaluable.

Are you going to answer the question I posed? C'mon, please tell everyone watching that an extremely risky, interchangeable quarterback who won't see the field until Eli Manning is gone will be more valuable and add more wins to a moribund team that has had no running game to speak of over the past 5 years. A running game so inept that it in essence paralyzed the entire offense, especially when the quarterback was forced to throw to guys who were pulled off the street due to numerous injuries. In no way, shape or form will a generational RB prospect improve every facet of said offense and be a better option than the next incarnation of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, John Elway, and Dan Marino -- all of whom are clearly available in this year's draft and will have Jonathan Stewart at their disposal to average 2.1 yards per carry to alleviate any and all pressure that might be forthcoming.

Will you please elucidate everyone's world and tell us this? :D

Try posting in political forums and you'll understand what it is to incite. This here at CU is nothing but fun to me, sports talk and interesting coin and card collecting threads, and I'm going to keep it that way.

If it's something else to you, then more power to ya...hope you enjoy yourself. ;)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell ya this much I can’t remember the last time I have been this intrigued by an upcoming Draft

• Options

Btw I’m the biggest hater of Eli Manning and the Giants however even I know it’s absolutely unfair to judge him and his team over last years performance I mean they lost their 2 best WR’s for the year and their 3rd WR Sheppard missed time and played hurt so ofcourse the offense was going to suffer.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Tell ya this much I can’t remember the last time I have been this intrigued by an upcoming Draft

Only to wait all offseason then waiting hours on draft night to only find out that Belichick traded back out of the first lol.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Btw I’m the biggest hater of Eli Manning and the Giants however even I know it’s absolutely unfair to judge him and his team over last years performance I mean they lost their 2 best WR’s for the year and their 3rd WR Sheppard missed time and played hurt so ofcourse the offense was going to suffer.

Eli's Giants have been a Huge Reward/Huge Miss type of team since he got there. He's had two incredible Super Bowl winning runs then outside of those two seasons,he hasn't won a single playoff game.
    That Giants defense last season was a bigger letdown than the offenses injuries. They went from one of the best to one of the worst.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to tell you guys that I had a dream last night. Saquon Barkley went to the combine and ran a 2.9 40, benched 137 reps of 225, and had an 88" vertical. Three days later I went over to Giants' GM stevek's house to play Dungeons & Dragons and help him with his profile on Plenty of Fish. While this all went down I imbibed a sixer of O'Doul's and had to visit the baño. I mistakenly wobbled into his room and there was a fathead of Baker Mayfield on the wall.

one of the better dreams i've ever had

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Remember the last year the Patriots won a superbowl Blount had 18 rushing TD's and they discarded him , then Philly picked him up won a superbowl and also discarded him.

He is a Lion now. The curse is strong

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@perkdog said:

I don't disagree with that, but i still think Eli has lost a bit overall, and I think the Giants know that as well. Of course, nothing to be ashamed about, he's 37 years old and has had a wonderful career.

The great organizations in sports seem to let go of their stars a bit early rather than a bit late. But understandably with two Super Bowl rings, it's tough to part with a guy like that, even if he's not playing at the same level as before.

That being said, Eli in my opinion was never considered to be a "superstar" like his brother, Brady, and some others. So if Eli tails off, it leaves the Giants not with just an average QB, but a below average QB, and based on the Giants history of wanting to win, that just wouldn't be acceptable to them.

I'm not saying they are going to trade Eli, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Giants haven't contemplated it during the off season. The Giants will draft a QB at #2, and it will be an interesting camp seeing the two QBs compete.

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

All U GM’s are adorable .. let’s all hug and watch Gettleman maneuver ♥️

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    I forgot to tell you guys that I had a dream last night. Saquon Barkley went to the combine and ran a 2.9 40, benched 137 reps of 225, and had an 88" vertical. Three days later I went over to Giants' GM stevek's house to play Dungeons & Dragons and help him with his profile on Plenty of Fish. While this all went down I imbibed a sixer of O'Doul's and had to visit the baño. I mistakenly wobbled into his room and there was a fathead of Baker Mayfield on the wall.

Dungeons and dragons is serious business , now if you said fantasy football it would be appropriately ridiculous.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

BTW - How's online poker been treating you? You still making millions at it, or have you improved? LOL

• Options

Erik, I gave up YEARS ago getting excited for the Patriots drafting, I remember Big Bill passing on great skill position players and grabbing Ben Watson and other not so glamorous players but in the end who could have argued with his choices I guess

• Options

@Odessafile said:
    All U GM’s are adorable .. let’s all hug and watch Gettleman maneuver ♥️

The Eagles offered me the GM job a few years back, but I told them i couldn't afford the pay cut. ;)

• Options

@stevek those cheap suns a bitches

• Options

@Odessafile said:
    @stevek those cheap suns a bitches

I think we could have gotten together on the money, but it was my insistence on having a weekly dip in the hot tub with the Philadelphia Eagles cheerleaders, that for some unfathomable reason they wouldn't budge on giving me that. :)

• Options

Devils in the details

• Options
    edited March 21, 2018 2:59PM

Steve you may recognize her. She’s a Philly cheerleader. I use her as a model from time to time. A legit model you pervs

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Steve you may recognize her. She’s a Philly cheerleader. I use her as a model from time to time. A legit model you pervs

m

Now that is the Post of the Day, and it's not debatable. :)

• Options

She looks a lot like Caitlyn Jenner’s son.

• Options

I hope the Giants are planning on grabbing Chubb with their pick and the Browns destroy that by grabbing him #1 overall!!

• Options

Cleveland would have a great pair of young defensive ends to build around with Garrett & Chubb if that's the way they go. Although they could probably get him at 4.

• Options

Well that sure was interesting - any debate about the Giants taking Barkley at this point is officially over.

Ya gotta wonder whether Barkley may fall as low as pick #7 with the Bucs?

We all know historically about the Giants focus on defense, so now it certainly does appear that they will select Chubb.

What this trade tells me is that the Giants expect the Browns to pick the QB they wanted, so rather than settle for any of the other QBs, they'll shore up their defense with Chubb and perhaps grab a QB later in the draft, perhaps just wait until next season when they will likely have another high draft pick. Just slide by with Eli for now.

Frankly, the Giants aren't going anywhere this coming season anyway - it would take a miracle for them to make the playoffs, and they of course know that. So whatever they are doing now, is being geared towards at least two or three seasons down the road. The Giants are too good of an organization to be down and out forever...they'll develop a good plan for the future and implement it.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2018 9:43AM

From a Pats fan standpoint,I'm just hoping Denver doesn't end up with either Barkley or Chubb,who along with Keenum probably make the Broncos a contender again. If they go QB whoever they pick probably doesn't get much playing time with Keenum as starter.
    Barkley,Sanders,Thomas & Keenum would be a solid offense to go with their defense and the Chubb-Von Miller duo would be rough on any QB.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2018 6:25AM

Here are some more signings:
    The Jets signed WR Terrelle Pryor
    The Eagles signed WR Mike Wallace
    The Dolphins signed RB Frank Gore
    The Patriots re-sign T LaAdrian Waddle & LB Marquis Flowers

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave the O lineman alone so there's a good one for the Vikings! ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

This rumor has been out there for a little while.

Frankly, even with a good attitude, i never thought Manziel had enough talent to be a winning QB in the NFL.

• Options

Manziel would be shown the field by the Pats for some crazy Belichek practice scenario for a few days then promptly shown the door. As far as a that Bennett thing I’m holding my judgement until more facts arise, I mean the Super Bowl was almost 2 months ago and they are charging him now? Sorry but red flags everywhere and I’m not even a big fan of him.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Manziel would be shown the field by the Pats for some crazy Belichek practice scenario for a few days then promptly shown the door. As far as a that Bennett thing I’m holding my judgement until more facts arise, I mean the Super Bowl was almost 2 months ago and they are charging him now? Sorry but red flags everywhere and I’m not even a big fan of him.

The Bennett incident happened after the Pats-Falcons SB not this past Eagles one. As for Manziel in NE,i'd rather see Tebow before Manziel.

• Options

Wow your right Erik I misread that and obviously should have known that Bennett was on the Pats lol. Ok so a bigger red flag haha

• Options

Yup, if Zeke got 6 games for his incident Bennett should be seeing at least 6 games himself.

• Options

I bet 75% of NFL players smoke weed regularly. I see nothing wrong with it but if your in the NFL it might be a good idea to weigh the risk/reward involving that

• Options

Oh i agree but its just a complete dumbass move trying to bring it with him into another country lol.

• Options

Must have been some really good chit to want to risk all that? LOL

• Options

This is reminiscent of Ty Law getting popped at the Canadian border with ecstacy in his bag.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I bet 75% of NFL players smoke weed regularly. I see nothing wrong with it but if your in the NFL it might be a good idea to weigh the risk/reward involving that

I agree. With what they go through on the playing field weed seems mild. Besides these are grown men. I think half of the rules are dictated by Vegas.

mark

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

m

Or one could argue Blount gives you a great chance of making the SB. He's been the RB on 3 on the last 4 winners ;).

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@ADG said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

m

Or one could argue Blount gives you a great chance of making the SB. He's been the RB on 3 on the last 4 winners ;).

I like Blount he was a great reclamation project , he got a second chance and made it count.

• Options

Suh signs a one year deal with the Rams

m

• Options

That Rams defense is gonna be brutal on QBs next season.

• Options

The Rams all of a sudden put together a nasty nasty D! They are not stopping there either, they are trying to swing a deal with the Giants for ODB

• Options

Adding ODB too an offense that led the NFL in points scored would be pretty sick. Their GM might win GM of the Year before the draft even happens.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Preseason super teams don't normally fair all that well. Will be interesting to see if the Rams can live up to the hype.

Robb