Home Sports Talk

2018 NFL Regular Season Thread

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like NE is dumpster diving for free agents this year. They've been in contact with TE Asante Cleveland,LB Jonathan Casillas & RB Danny Woodhead - all former Pats players that would be marginal additions at best.

NE sends a 6th round pick to the Browns for CB Jason McCourty & 7th round pick reuniting him with his twin Devin.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordy Nelson to the Raiders, Crabtree cut

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Ownership isn't just thinking Cousins will bring home a Super Bowl. They are banking on it.

Oh, they must have missed the NFC Championship game then. Just to clue them (and anyone else) in Philly is upgrading their QB too. Other positions as well.

Ridiculous to assume that giving 84 million dollars to a QB who had worse numbers than the guy we already had is going to guarantee anything, much less beating an Eagles team that DESTROYED the Vikings.

Can you say "delusional"?

Vikings needed a backup at QB, but they better guess right if they are counting on O-Line help in the draft. Kalil was a bust and so was Yankey, Elflein seems to be ok if he can stay healthy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:
    Ownership isn't just thinking Cousins will bring home a Super Bowl. They are banking on it.

Oh, they must have missed the NFC Championship game then. Just to clue them (and anyone else) in Philly is upgrading their QB too. Other positions as well.

Ridiculous to assume that giving 84 million dollars to a QB who had worse numbers than the guy we already had is going to guarantee anything, much less beating an Eagles team that DESTROYED the Vikings.

Vikings needed a backup at QB, but they better guess right if they are counting on O-Line help in the draft. Kalil was a bust and so was Yankey, Elflein seems to be ok if he can stay healthy.

I have never seen Cousins as more than an average QB at best.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man the Raiders are super active

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:

I have never seen Cousins as more than an average QB at best.

For 84 million guaranteed dollars, he better be way above average, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vikings just signed DT Sheldon Richardson

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if they would try to get him. Hope he can check his baggage.

Could be a GREAT defensive line!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Oh the Chiefs found Chad Henne as a backup, im surprised they didn't give him 20 million. Chad flippin Henne really.?? KC penny wise dollar foolish. I love watching my hometown team tank it even before the draft!! Never been a Chiefs fan though, and I can't understand why or how they keep their fans base. Horrible scouting/front office and they let the nostalgia of the 60's blind them.

@Jerzeehunter said:
    Oh the Chiefs found Chad Henne as a backup, im surprised they didn't give him 20 million. Chad flippin Henne really.?? KC penny wise dollar foolish. I love watching my hometown team tank it even before the draft!! Never been a Chiefs fan though, and I can't understand why or how they keep their fans base. Horrible scouting/front office and they let the nostalgia of the 60's blind them.

If i were a KC fan i'd be more worried about handing Sammy Watkins 30M guaranteed than Chad Henne as the backup QB,who was a very solid backup in Miami for years.

edited March 17, 2018 7:52AM

Looks like the Pats signed three free agents:
    DE Adrian Clayborn 2yr/12.5M
    RB Jeremy Hill
    OT Matt Tobin

Clayborn looks like he'd be a solid pass rusher
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22798178/adrian-clayborn-agrees-deal-new-england-patriots

edit: Tyrann Matheiu signed a one year with the Texans.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jets trade up to #3

here comes a brand spanking new QB for @grote15!

@galaxy27 said:
    Jets trade up to #3

LOL. Or Barkley? I can't decide which option is better. I'm sure whatever it is, we'll select the wrong one, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@galaxy27 said:
    Jets trade up to #3

The Colts made out like bandits there,scoring three 2nds to drop 3 spots.

I think I'd rather have Barkley. I know he would not have been available at #6, so we'll see.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2018 9:40AM

@grote15 said:
    I think I'd rather have Barkley. I know he would not have been available at #6, so we'll see.

i certainly would, too, but i can't imagine both the browns and giants passing him up. would be an epic get if he drops to 3.

i'm just not feeling any of these QBs; they're lumped together in my mind. i'd much rather take a shot on a freak of nature who is head and shoulders above all other prospects at his position.

@galaxy27 said:

@grote15 said:

i certainly would, too, but i can't imagine both the browns and giants passing him up. would be an epic get if he drops to 3.

i'm just not feeling any of these QBs; they're lumped together in my mind. i'd much rather take a shot on a freak of nature who is head and shoulders above all other prospects at his position.

I agree, Stephen. I don't think there's too much separation between the 4 QBs so to trade up, I'm assuming the Jets are going to hope to get Barkley.

remember the 2009 draft, the jets traded everything including the kitchen sink to move up to the overall 5th pick in draft to grab Mark Sanchez, mr butt fumble :p

The Jets have to be looking at multiple players with the 3rd pick because that is the only way this deal makes sense when it was made a month before the draft. If it was made with one player in mind they would have been better off waiting till draft night before making a deal to see if that player falls to 3.

Buffalo is going to have to try to find a way to jump up to the 2nd overall pick

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2018 3:54PM

Excellent move by the Jets to trade up. We all know that Teddy Bridgewater is not the long term answer, and he may not even be a good short term answer depending on his ACL and other factors.

Of course trading up for a QB doesn't always work out, but it sure as yell worked out great for the Eagles two years ago.

It's too bad the Gruden QB Camp show is not going to be on any longer. I really liked that show and while there were sometimes differences you could see in the QBs throwing without pads, the big differentiation was Gruden with them on the chalkboard to see how quickly they picked up the language of being an NFL QB.

Wentz looked outstanding in the QB passing drills, but what really set him apart was how quickly he communicated with Gruden, best I've ever seen...and I think it's one reason, possibly the main reason the Eagles traded up to get him, hoping the Rams would draft Derek Carr which they did.

Russell Wilson will be doing the QB show now, and in my opinion, Wilson won't be nearly as good or relevant as Gruden doing it.

BTW: I'll give ya one guess who the Eagles traded up with to get Wentz? Yep, you guessed right, the Cleveland Browns. I still say the Browns should draft a QB with the #1 pick. Barkley could still be there at #4 for them.

@stevek the difference between that Eagles trade and this trade is the Eagles were guaranteed to get their guy,Wentz. You could argue the Jets gave up more in draft capital to move up just 3 spots than Philly did with no guarantee their guy falls to them. For NY to move up this early means they have to have at least 3 guys they'd be happy drafting with that 3rd.
    The Browns might know who they're picking by now but it would make no sense to make it public until a day or two before the draft just so they keep the ability to hear out trade offers. With the way the rookie scale is setup its not like they have to come to an agreement before the draft like it used to be. I do agree about the Browns going QB 1st then Barkley 4th seeing 2 & 3 are QB needy teams.
    I don't see the Bills moving up to #2 either. After everything that went on with Eli Manning last season,getting benched then back as starter,the Giants are almost certainly going to take a QB with that 2nd pick. The Jets giving up three 2nds to move 3 spots made it harder for other teams to get into the top two.

edited March 18, 2018 4:34PM

If Barkley is there at #3, I want the Jets to draft him. I believe any one of the top 4 QBs in this draft may wind up being the best of the group, so if I'm the Jets I take who I believe will be a franchise RB at #3 after moving up to that slot. I'm not sure he will fall to #3, though.

The Pats added Cordarelle Patterson to potentially replace Mathew Slater, I think Patterson might actually catch some passes unlike Slater.

As much as I do like Barkley I would not take him with a top 5 pick, RB’s are easily replaced and get hurt way to easy. You need other components in place before a RB can add top 5 pick value to your team, none of which any of the top drafting teams have yet.

edited March 18, 2018 4:48PM

@perkdog said:
    The Pats added Cordarelle Patterson to potentially replace Mathew Slater, I think Patterson might actually catch some passes unlike Slater.

I don't mind adding Patterson but losing Slater would really suck. After Brady he was arguably the biggest leader in the Pats locker room. Hopefully its one of those scenarios where he sees what he's worth then gives the Pats the chance to match.
    Patterson looks to be more of a replacement for Lewis & Amendola, by taking over return duties.
    Belichick's offseason moves are definitely with the potential compensatory picks in 2019 in mind with the trades for Shelton,McCourty & Patterson. I Could be wrong but that Clayborn signing is probably their big free agent signing for this offseason.

@grote15 said:
    If Barkley is there at #3, I want the Jets to draft him. I believe any one of the top 4 QBs in this draft may wind up being the best of the group, so if I'm the Jets I take who I believe will be a franchise RB at #3 after moving up to that slot. I'm not sure he will fall to #3, though.

That would be a HUGE price to pay for a RB that high even a potential star.

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

I think it's a better, wiser pick then taking a chance on 1 of 4 QBs who may or may not turn out to be as good as projected. The Jets could have stayed at #6 and done that. I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley is gone by #3 anyway, but imo that is a primary reason the Jets moved up.

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

I think it's a better, wiser pick then taking a chance on 1 of 4 QBs who may or may not turn out to be as good as projected. The Jets could have stayed at #6 and done that. I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley is gone by #3 anyway, but imo that is a primary reason the Jets moved up.

As a Pats fan i'd rather see NY draft a RB than a QB there but who knows what will happen. I love draft talk and its sucks we have to wait another month before it gets here.

@erikthredd said:
    @stevek the difference between that Eagles trade and this trade is the Eagles were guaranteed to get their guy,Wentz. You could argue the Jets gave up more in draft capital to move up just 3 spots than Philly did with no guarantee their guy falls to them. For NY to move up this early means they have to have at least 3 guys they'd be happy drafting with that 3rd.
    The Browns might know who they're picking by now but it would make no sense to make it public until a day or two before the draft just so they keep the ability to hear out trade offers. With the way the rookie scale is setup its not like they have to come to an agreement before the draft like it used to be. I do agree about the Browns going QB 1st then Barkley 4th seeing 2 & 3 are QB needy teams.
    I don't see the Bills moving up to #2 either. After everything that went on with Eli Manning last season,getting benched then back as starter,the Giants are almost certainly going to take a QB with that 2nd pick. The Jets giving up three 2nds to move 3 spots made it harder for other teams to get into the top two.

Just a hunch, but my guess is the Jets are counting on the "mistake prone" Browns to make another mistake and take Barkley at #1, and then hoping the Giants don't take the QB they want. And while I have no idea who that might be, I am convinced that the Jets traded up with one QB in mind who they really like.

Any Joe Namath's out there? :)

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Just a hunch, but my guess is the Jets are counting on the "mistake prone" Browns to make another mistake and take Barkley at #1, and then hoping the Giants don't take the QB they want. And while I have no idea who that might be, I am convinced that the Jets traded up with one QB in mind who they really like.

You never know,the Browns might like 3 different QBs and taking RB first guarantees them they get both a top Qb & RB.

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

You never know,the Browns might like 3 different QBs and taking RB first guarantees them they get both a top Qb & RB.

That's a valid point, but in my view they should do it QB first, then choose Barkley if they want him at #4.

I think neither the Giants or the Jets are taking Barkley if he is available. Their QB needs are too pressing not to choose a QB in this spot.

Let's tell it like it is - yes, Barkley is a beast, and of course the RB position is important, especially in cold, inclement weather...however we all know it's a passing league and has been for a long time.

edited March 18, 2018 11:56PM

Personally I wouldn’t take Barkley that high .Running backs have the shortest length of careers of any position in the NFL. I’d go Chubb and a QB combo at the top of the draft if I were the Browns.

The last time a RB was chosen first overall was Ki-Jana Carter in 1995 He was a “sure” thing. Before that it was Bo Jackson in 1986. Broke
    his hip early in his NFL career. Before
    That it was Billy Sims in 1980. Running backs just don’t get picked at the very top of the draft. A total of 3 in the last 28 drafts.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Personally I wouldn’t take Barkley that high .Running backs have the shortest length of careers of any position in the NFL. I’d go Chubb and a QB combo at the top of the draft if I were the Browns.

The last time a RB was chosen first overall was Ki-Jana Carter in 1995 He was a “sure” thing. Before that it was Bo Jackson in 1986. Broke
    That it was Billy Sims in 1980. Running backs just don’t get picked at the very top of the draft. A total of 3 in the last 28 drafts.

mark

Good points. Another point is running backs are ready to play in the NFL right out of the box, so to speak. There is little to no learning curve needed at the running back position.

A smart GM will have a young, groomed QB in place for a few years, even just as a backup, while solidifying the offensive line, and THEN draft a running back. Of course these days, drafted QBs seem to be starting earlier and earlier for a variety of reasons depending on the team.

I realize the NFL GMs know all that, but the bad ones think they can get cute, and do it differently for success. So it will be interesting to see what Cleveland does...get cute and draft Barkley first, or get smart and draft first who they think is the best QB.

If there was a stud OT available in this year's draft, i don't think Cleveland should even take Barkley at fourth. But this year it seems like there isn't a stud tackle out there, so I've got no problem with the Browns taking Barkley at fourth. Barkley would of course help their offense, as well as the ticket sales.

• OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

I wish my Fins would go QB shopping....Ryan T. on a gimp knee may not make it thru training camp again...... even if he does he will be a likely injury status report weekly. The Dolphins and the MArlins should just move to Montreal now.

edited March 19, 2018 7:02PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Good points. Another point is running backs are ready to play in the NFL right out of the box, so to speak. There is little to no learning curve needed at the running back position.

A smart GM will have a young, groomed QB in place for a few years, even just as a backup, while solidifying the offensive line, and THEN draft a running back. Of course these days, drafted QBs seem to be starting earlier and earlier for a variety of reasons depending on the team.

I realize the NFL GMs know all that, but the bad ones think they can get cute, and do it differently for success. So it will be interesting to see what Cleveland does...get cute and draft Barkley first, or get smart and draft first who they think is the best QB.

If there was a stud OT available in this year's draft, i don't think Cleveland should even take Barkley at fourth. But this year it seems like there isn't a stud tackle out there, so I've got no problem with the Browns taking Barkley at fourth. Barkley would of course help their offense, as well as the ticket sales.

The more I think about it if Cleveland stays pat with the first and 4th pick they will go QB at 1 and Chubb at 4 perhaps. The Jets and Giants are picking behind them and they are both picking QB's. The Browns could get the their pick of QB's and still l land Chubb or Barkley or anyone else as they will all be there. They are sitting pretty. Just as likely is another team that’s QB hungry trading up for Clevelands 4th pick to snatch the 4th QB of the draft. It could really go QB,QB, QB and QB with the first 4 picks

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

The more I think about it if Cleveland stays pat with the first and 4th pick they will go QB at 1 and Chubb at 4 perhaps. The Jets and Giants are picking behind them and they are both picking QB's. The Browns could get the their pick of QB's and still l land Chubb or Barkley or anyone else as they will all be there. They are sitting pretty. Just as likely is another team that’s QB hungry trading up for Clevelands 4th pick to snatch the 4th QB of the draft. It could really go QB,QB, QB and QB with the first 4 picks

mark

You may turn out to be right with QB as the first 4 picks. I don't recall that ever happening.

The Browns wouldn't do badly to trade down for their #4 pick and hope that Mike McGlinchey would be there. The kid has some flaws, but he seems like the type of player who can be "coached up" in the pros and become a solid player. I realize they just signed Chris Hubbard, but a football team can never be too strong at the OT position.

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

mark

You may turn out to be right with QB as the first 4 picks. I don't recall that ever happening.

The Browns wouldn't do badly to trade down for their #4 pick and hope that Mike McGlinchey would be there. The kid has some flaws, but he seems like the type of player who can be "coached up" in the pros and become a solid player. I realize they just signed Chris Hubbard, but a football team can never be too strong at the OT position.

They could probably trade #4 to the Bills for #'s 12,22 & 56 giving Buffalo the chance to grab their QB at 4. At this point the Browns would then have three 1st rounders & four 2nd rounders. Any decent GM can do a quick rebuild after drafting 7 players in the top 64 picks.

edited March 19, 2018 9:03PM

BTW I’m not sold any of the QB’s. Darnold ( safest), Rosen (douchey), Allen ( big arm no finesse/touch) and Mayfield (gunslinger not much of an arm)

m

@Justacommeman said:
    BTW I’m not sold any of the QB’s. Darnold ( safest), Rosen (douchey), Allen ( big arm no finesse) and Mayfield (gunslinger not much of an arm)

m

That's why I want Barkley at #3. Look at the impact Elliott has had in Dallas. Not saying Barkley will be the same but I wouldn't mind finding out.

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    BTW I’m not sold any of the QB’s. Darnold ( safest), Rosen (douchey), Allen ( big arm no finesse) and Mayfield (gunslinger not much of an arm)

m

That's why I want Barkley at #3. Look at the impact Elliott has had in Dallas. Not saying Barkley will be the same but I wouldn't mind finding out.

I hear you but Zero chance IMO

m

edited March 19, 2018 9:04PM

If the Browns are smart and stay pat, they should draft Barkley at #1 and the best of the remaining top 4 QBs at #4.

I think if the Browns pass on Barkley, the Giants will grab him at #2.

edited March 19, 2018 9:07PM

@grote15 said:
    If the Browns are smart and stay pat, they should draft Barkley at #1 and the best of the remaining top 4 QBs at #4.

I just don't see it at all. Giants have to go QB. I see Barkely slipping to Tampa at 7 if there are no further trades

Mark

edited March 19, 2018 9:10PM

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

I just don't see it at all. I see Barkely slipping to Tampa at 7 if there are no further trades

Mark

I don't see Barkley dropping that far. No chance, imo. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. None of these QBs are a slam dunk to be a franchise QB in the NFL and with Manning under contract for 2 more years and a glaring deficiency at RB, I can see the Giants going for Barkley. JMO.

edited March 19, 2018 9:15PM

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

I just don't see it at all. I see Barkely slipping to Tampa at 7 if there are no further trades

Mark

I don't see Barkley dropping that far. No chance, imo. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. None of these QBs are a slam dunk to be a franchise QB in the NFL and with Manning under contract for 2 more years and a glaring deficiency at RB, I can see the Giants going for Barkley. JMO.

I would be shocked but.....you never know. The Browns could go for Barkley at 1 and get Mayfield or Allen at 4 I suppose.

mark

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

mark

They could probably trade #4 to the Bills for #'s 12,22 & 56 giving Buffalo the chance to grab their QB at 4. At this point the Browns would then have three 1st rounders & four 2nd rounders. Any decent GM can do a quick rebuild after drafting 7 players in the top 64 picks.

The Browns would do that deal in a second. I'm not sure the Bills would give up that much though.

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

Mark

The Giants were 3-13 last season, and Eli was benched. Perhaps Eli didn't deserve to be benched but the fact is that he was.

Eli Manning is a future Hall of Famer but he is degrading now, which could get precipitously worse in the upcoming season. The Giants need to draft a QB and they will.

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

Mark

I would be shocked but.....you never know. The Browns could go for Barkley at 1 and get Mayfield or Allen at 4 I suppose.

mark

Frankly, taking Barkley at #1 would be the "lazy" pick, the easy pick...and the wrong pick.

In my view, when you've got the #1 pick in this situation, it has to be quarterback. It's up to the Browns to do as much thorough analysis as they can of the available QB's, and then pick the right one. At #4, they are getting in theory only the second, third or fourth best one.

i realize the fourth best one could turn out in the long run to be the best one. QB in this situation can be tough to gauge. But still, you've got to have the stones to step up, do the work, do the analysis, do the background investigation, do whatever it takes to figure it all out and then make the right choice. Otherwise the Browns will be a perennially losing team.

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

mark

The Browns would do that deal in a second. I'm not sure the Bills would give up that much though.

From everything i've read the past couple weeks Buffalo's plan is to possibly move up for a QB and its possible the top 4 QBs could all be gone by the 5th pick,Denver. I don't think it would be too much for the Bills either who have two picks in each of the top 3 rounds.
    For comparison look at the Bills-Chiefs 2017 draft trade that got KC Mahomes. KC traded #27,#91 & a 2018 1st for the Bills pick at 10.... Two 1sts & a 3rd just to get to 10.
    If the first three picks are all QBs,that Browns pick at 4 becomes pretty valuable to any other teams who are still looking for a QB.