Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Paying Admission To Attend a Coin Show.

I was reading the Central States Numismatic Society web page and it indicates there is a $5 (or $10 for the entire show) admission fee. You'd think that since Dealers tables cost a fortune that the show operators wouldn't want to do anything to deter the public from attending.

Is paying to attend a show "a thing now-a-days"?

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 8:18PM

I used to pay admission to a few shows when I lived in Texas. Where I am now they are all free. Considering how soft the market is and the fact many dealers pack up and leave before the shows end I think charging admission is a dumb idea. Hell they should be paying you to attend.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been going to Central States since about 1975 and have never had to pay. The only show I have been to that charges is the ANA.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never felt one should have to spend money to gain adm. to (hopefully for the dealers) spend money. May keep out some of the riff-raff though. Maybe the idea could be floated that the adm. fee paid is issued as a credit to spend at a dealers table or even at the snack bar.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been to the NSCC which is the National Sports Collectors Convention National show which is held at the Donald E. Stephenson building where the Numismatic National is held and they charge $20 per day, per person.

Insane!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

At some venues its the parking, not the admission. Long Beach is $15 to park, Denver Coin Expo is $5 to park + $5 admission. Coin people can be downright cheapo about things like that!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been against shows charging admission. That has slowly been eroding as a dealer. Time after time the shows are being priced or bumped out of preferable venues. Couple that with the obvious decline in attendance which no doubt has to do with folks staying home and doing their business online!

I have been doing the sensible thing. I go by the 3 strikes and you are out formula. I am doing half as many shows as I used to do. Why....because there are more dealers than there are buying public! I would wager the majority of people that spend money at shows these days are there only looking to buy coins they can sell on ebay!

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Central States did not charge last year when I was there. I have never paid to go to a coin show and I don't plan on starting this year, even if I do miss out.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I was reading the Central States Numismatic Society web page and it indicates there is a $5 (or $10 for the entire show) admission fee.

What do they do for $5, only allow you to only visit half the tables?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only paid at the ANA, and I resent it, considering how much they make at the show

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I was reading the Central States Numismatic Society web page and it indicates there is a $5 (or $10 for the entire show) admission fee.

What do they do for $5, only allow you to only visit half the tables?

It is $5 per day (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) so if you plan on going all three days you can save $5.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering how stale most coin show "inventory" is getting, the admission could be the closest thing to "money changing hands" at the show. :|

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Admission charges, parking charges, dealer table charges.....this all contributes to declining coin shows and show sales....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 6:37AM

I have attended the ANA show in Dallas (last year) and will be attending Irving (this year) and by being a member of the ANA, my admission is free (Saturday will have free admission)...parking is another story $$$.

The annual coin show in Oklahoma City (normally in May), there are no fees; at the door or for parking...and there are door prizes throughout the show!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collectors are a very cheap bunch. Charging admission will cut attendance at all but the very best shows. Is Central States still considered to be one of "the very best shows" or has it declined to second rate status in recent years?

Collectors, in addition to being cheap, want to see merchandise they haven't viewed dozens of times before at other shows in their region. If the show becomes just another big show populated by Sunday Bourse type dealers with stale product it will die quickly if admission is charged.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I've been to the NSCC which is the National Sports Collectors Convention National show which is held at the Donald E. Stephenson building where the Numismatic National is held and they charge $20 per day, per person.

Insane!

From what I've seen of the sports collector shows, they offer something more than just a room full of dealers selling their goods. They also celebrity athletes on hand as well as special activities. Coin shows don’t have much to offer in that regard. Our stars are not as famous and frankly can’t offer that kind of draw.

I think that anything beyond a nominal admission fee at coin show is economic suicide. There is already lots of talk about how coin shows are irrelevant because of the Internet. If you start putting up big financial barriers like convention level parking fees and something like a $10 admission fee, the show promoters, should start planning on their next business ventures because their one is soon going to go the way of the $100 Bennie Baby.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't have enough to complain about?

I don't mind paying the admission charge at all. Even if I don't buy anything, which doesn't usually happen, it's still good entertainment, well worth the price of admission to enjoy a good coin show.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 9:29AM

Last year there was a Gun show in the building next to our coin show in Charlotte. It cost $12 to get in. When I got to the show a little after 8 the line to get in the gun show was at least a quarter mile long. I believe it was noon before the line to get in subsided!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a no pay to spend money rule. Same goes for antique shows.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are talking 5 bucks here right?

The real problem with this show is PCGS deciding not to do onsite grading.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

In our case we have expenses like renting the hall and security. We had to scramble this year to get security for overnight. I believe it was $65 an hour from Saturday open to Sunday close. It cost us a lot more than it did last year. Our income is from table fees and raffling off silver eagles at 1 per hour. We had 4 or 5 dealers not show because of weather related travel issues. Not sure if we refund table fees or not.

Admission is free except for the early bird charge.

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Other than major shows I have only been paying $1at the monthly Albany Ny show.

Nearly 1 1/2 hrs from home but the show starts at a surprising 11:00 AM and wife loves the show.

She drops me off just before 11::00 to stand in a mile long line, goes to the nearby malls and picks me up when I'm ready. We stop for lunch and it's an easy 1 1/2 hr ride back home.

I usually spend $1 at the show and she spends ?

I do enjoy the show in regards to the number of true collectors in attendance with their sheets of needed coins.

Only thing is at 69 I feel like a junior at the show.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Last year there was a Gun show in the building next to our coin show in Charlotte. It cost $12 to get in. When I got to the show a little after 8 the line to get in the gun show was at least a quarter mile long. I believe it was noon before the line to get in subsided!

People really WANT their beef jerky. :D

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to attend a show that didn't charge admission. The show's around here in the PACNW usually charge around $2.00 to get in the door, unless you want to pay the early bird fee of $20.00. I made that mistake one time, now I know it's simply not worth it. But I have no problem paying $2.00 to get in the door.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some kind of fee is pretty much the norm in SoCal. Even the local monthly show charges $1.

As long as it isn't excessive, I view it as acceptable, and "paying my fair share". Though, there have been a couple of instances over the years where I paid my $3 or $4, did one lap of an extremely pitiful bourse, and felt like I deserved a refund!

The nice thing about being a CU "member" is that they offer free admission in a variety of ways for Long Beach! I haven't had to pay for it at all....just pre-register and print a free pass.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

paying a fee to go to a coin show where prices will be marked retail? no thanks

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the large shows you also need to figure in the cost of parking (often high) and concessions (which have become outright stupid high at many venues). I hate paying for parking and simply will not buy anything from overpriced concessions. No chili dog stains on me!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the grand scheme of things, and thinking about how much people spend on coffee and lunch each day, I don't mind paying a small fee for the ONE show that I can attend each year :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try to attend a couple of local coin shows per month. Two of the regular ones I attend are free and 1 charges $1 and they have drawings/prizes. I don't mind spending a couple of dollars for the local shows and $10 would be okay with me if we are talking a larger regional show with 100 or more tables.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had a problem with paying $5 for admission.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you aren't carrying much of value (or can easily hide it), depending on where you are in the greater Los Angeles area, you can take the metrorail to Long Beach and not pay for parking. The metrorail stop is maybe1000 yards from the entrance to the hotel, and you'll spend less time walking the 1000 yards than you will dealing with parking.

When I go, this is what I do. I generally don't have to pay for admission to the show, either.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally have to burn at least 5 gallons of gas to go to a show. Sometimes 10 for the round trip.

So I think it is a bit chintzy to hit me up for a few more bucks to get in. But hey, I can afford it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they're not handing out free silver ASE's at the door along with free admission like at the 2004 FUN show.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres only one that gets an early bird admission otherwise its free ( which i dont mind either ) (along with all the others) just saying

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Central States will have over 400 dealers. Think of it as a penny a dealer. It’s a great show well worth $5 in imo.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP here, The $5 charge is something I think everyone can afford, so that's not a big deal. The fact that Dealers pay a small fortune for tables already is. I'd think most wouldn't even know about the charge until they arrive. That may have an effect on future shows, but probably not this one.

I'd feel better about it if the $5 fee was called a donation. I'm interested to see what it does to attendance.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

I'd be interested in understanding how much the show organizers make on a show. I'm not talking about a huge show like the ANA, more like smaller shows with 125 tables or 50 tables.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Life is not fair. I went to a Kool-Aid stand to quench my thirst once. There was no sugar. The kid said it was bad for me, but for another quarter I could have a spoonful.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer free admission, but I can't imagine NOT attending a good show just because of a $5 admission fee. Even if I buy nothing, I easily get way more than $5 worth of entertainment just walking around gawking at amazing coins.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Cameonut said:
    I'd be interested in understanding how much the show organizers make on a show. I'm not talking about a huge show like the ANA, more like smaller shows with 125 tables or 50 tables.

We're nonprofit so what we net supports our club functions. We offer two $500 scholarships [in honor of former member and dealer Scott Nichols] to offset expenses to attend summer seminar in Colorado Springs among other things.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Cameonut said:

We're nonprofit so what we net supports our club functions. We offer two $500 scholarships [in honor of former member and dealer Scott Nichols] to offset expenses to attend summer seminar in Colorado Springs among other things.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Cameonut said:

Was in Scott’s shop many times when I lived close to Ames. Scott was s true gentleman. Is Chester still around?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Cameonut said:

This is one reason why I love to support club shows. But there are lots of other shows out there that are not affiliated with clubs. They seem to be "owned" by the organizer and they tend to use the same venue and time slot every year.

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Cameonut said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Cameonut said:

Was in Scott’s shop many times when I lived close to Ames. Scott was s true gentleman. Is Chester still around?

I was just there an hour or so ago. The pooch gave me an earful, but likely not the same Chester.

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

"As long as it isn't excessive, I view it as acceptable, and "paying my fair share". Though, there have been a couple of instances over the years where I paid my $3 or $4, did one lap of an extremely pitiful bourse, and felt like I deserved a refund!"

I know it is my own fault, but a few years ago I paid admission for a show on Sunday (the last day) and walked in to a virtually empty show. The fee wasn't much, no more than $5, but I still felt ripped off.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will gladly pay $5 to have access to a large coin show and just skip a big mac and soda to make up for the admission fee

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 5:45PM

$5 or even $10 is no big deal for a larger show. It keeps out a bit of riffraff maybe. Charge more than a token amount and I think you’ll do the show no favors.

What bothers me more is to spend more than a few minutes getting my entry badge. Time is money and wasting 30 minutes in a line really boils my blood. Most of the big shows manage this pretty well.

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    $5 or even $10 is no big deal for a larger show. It keeps out a bit of riffraff maybe.

Bingo. I saw a number of dicey-looking people milling around outside the Long Beach convention center that probably would never pay the tiny entrance fee.

• Options

@brianc1959 said:

@BryceM said:
    $5 or even $10 is no big deal for a larger show. It keeps out a bit of riffraff maybe.

Bingo. I saw a number of dicey-looking people milling around outside the Long Beach convention center that probably would never pay the tiny entrance fee.

The riff raff doesn't bother me nearly as much as the rich old guys who snake the coins I want before I get a chance to buy them. Ten bucks is a small price to pay to discourage some of my curmudgeonly principled competition from attending.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    $5 or even $10 is no big deal for a larger show. It keeps out a bit of riffraff maybe. Charge more than a token amount and I think you’ll do the show no favors.

What bothers me more is to spend more than a few minutes getting my entry badge. Time is money and wasting 30 minutes in a line really boils my blood. Most of the big shows manage this pretty well.

Ever been to a show where YOU WERE the morning rush?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about dealer discounted entrance fees? Or free dealer paid ?

if your dealer of choice is going to be there, he can give you a free or discounted ticket if he values your business.
    But usually dealers are to cheap to even consider that. They just want to buy at 50% off wholesale and then sell retail.....and then complain that the show was not good for them.
    In Europe they have shows where one day is for "business" clients by invitation (by dealers or manufacturers) only and others pay a hefty price to also get in unless they buy a "showtime"pass. works well there... why not here?
    But then ??? in Europe ias where they invented a lot of stuff that works well.... :o

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file