Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's your favorite Half Dollar Commemorative silver? Is the high priced 1935's justified?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the observe as well as the reverse on this 1935 Connecticut Half Dollar.
They command high price over $200. Please let me know what you think.

Comments

• Options

@CommemDude said:

Those are stock photos; I am yet to place my bid. It's worth a $207 opening bid because the eagle's look makes me laugh; it has that comical face.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my San Diego

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow...where to start. I like many of them including all of the ones above but I'll go with a Bay Bridge. Why? Because I like the depiction of the bear on it...a Bay Bridge was my first classic commem purchase and I still have the coin.

To the OP...I honestly would not bid on any coin with a stock photo...especially off of eBay. I, way back when, bought a couple classic commems like that and although they turned out to have MS details they were both cleaned. Nice coins but cleaned.

Thanks for posting!

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@ElKevvo said:

Thank you for your advise; the current bidding features the actual coin. Let me see if I can post the pictures.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 11:38AM

The Connecticut half has always been one of my favorite classic commemorative designs. I really like the art deco era... very distinctive look. Here is my example, which is actually being crossed over right now to PCGS using their Long Beach special. It has a light golden tone, which is not spectacular or anything, but the coin has other things going for it.

There are many, many examples of this coin out there... be choosy. I'd hesitate to bid on one if I'm just seeing stock photos.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    OMG they are so very expensive! I just looked it up; the history and it's limited mintage. Thank you for sharing!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images in the first post show a coin that has almost certainly been dipped in the past and has definitely had its obverse and reverse digitally added to the reeding of what looks like a US Mint representation for a new commem dollar or ASE. Please don't bid on something like that.

Oddly enough, the CT commem is also my favorite issue and has been for many, many years. Here is one that I have owned for quite a while that lives in a PCGS rattler holder.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

That opening image has DEFINITELY been tampered with. I wouldn't bid ANYTHING for that garbage.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many of the classic commemoratives with truly stunning designs, including the perennial favorites, Connecticut, Texas, Oregon Trail, Pilgrim, and Gettysburg. These represent some of the best numismatic products the mint has ever produced. There are also some real clunker designs in the mix, such as York, Monroe, Washington-Carver.

The OP coin is probably a stock photo pasted onto a template with the edge reeding already present. If you want to spend $200 on a Connecticut, you should be able to get a nice 64.

• Options

This is the actual coin I am bidding on

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @BillJones said:
    OMG they are so very expensive! I just looked it up; the history and it's limited mintage. Thank you for sharing!

I should really clarify my comments about the amount of political influence that the territory of Hawaii had. The Dole family which was initially headed by Sanford B. Dole had a huge influence in the government of the Hawaiian Islands at the end of 19th and into the 20th centuries. Dole was responsible for the “westernization” of the islands and played major part in the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy.

Dole and the members of his family were politically wired with Republican presidents, McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. Dole was the one and only president of the Hawaii, and William McKinley appointed him to be the first territorial governor after the U.S. annexed the islands and made them a territory. A Dole cousin, Edmund Pearson Dole, was also appointed to the Attorney General of Hawaii. Another cousin, once removed, James Dole, came to the islands in 1899 and formed the Hawaiian Pineapple Company which later became The Dole Food Company.

As you can see there was lots of money and lots of influence there. Still, to get a bill passed for a commemorative half dollar for a territory which was 31 years from becoming a state which quite a political feat.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    There are many of the classic commemoratives with truly stunning designs, including the perennial favorites, Connecticut, Texas, Oregon Trail, Pilgrim, and Gettysburg. These represent some of the best numismatic products the mint has ever produced. There are also some real clunker designs in the mix, such as York, Monroe, Washington-Carver.

The OP coin is probably a stock photo pasted onto a template with the edge reeding already present. If you want to spend $200 on a Connecticut, you should be able to get a nice 64.

The "Coin Dealer Newsletter" (a.k.a. Gray Sheet) says an MS-64 Connecticut is bid at $210. I'm not sure you can get a nice MS-64 for that or less, but MS-64 is a good "threshold grade.” I would think you would pay no more than extra $10 or $25 for an nice PCGS certified example. The MS-65 is bid at $300, MS-66 at $425 and 67 at $1,550.

You don’t save much money on the coins below MS-64. The MS-63 is only $20 less and it gets silly after that with the MS-60 to 62 spread at $180 to $185. I’d want to pay a lot less than that for those coins. Many of them are not that nice. To be frank, I think that coin you are considering is in that lower category going by the photos.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the connecticut. 2 others are pretty close and they are the texas and oregon (depending how i feel that day) just saying

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been partial to the Pan Pac

• Options

If the coin below is what you are looking at then put your wallet away and run away as fast as possible! Truly, there are myriad nice Connecticut half dollars to be had without burning money on something like that.

@Paradisefound said:

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice Connecticut Bill...

I will say this about Classic Commems...they have been out of favor for a while and prices have come down somewhat so IMO it is a nice sweet spot in the coin collecting world. As mentioned there are some really outstanding designs along with some clunkers however even with the clunkers there is often an interesting back story on why the coin was issued etc.

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@ElKevvo said:
    ... even with the clunkers there is often an interesting back story on why the coin was issued etc.

K

Very true. And by "interesting," I would also mean "absurd, yet true."

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 2:59PM

I have several favorites. The Oregon is "my commem" as the idea for it originated in my home state of Idaho and the trail passes only a few miles from my home. Some of the original wagon wheel ruts are still visible in places.

My "other commem" is the Pilgrim which was designed by my first cousin, four times removed, Cryus Dallin. There was some controversy regarding his design at the time (which is pretty much de rigueur with all coin designs) but it's has a nice, timeless look, even if the rigging of the ship isn't entirely accurate. My current examples are OK but I'm on the hunt for one (or two) that are truly spectacular. It's a great way to honor a sculptor and artist who is highly regarded in my family and in the Boston area.

I also really like the Columbian, Layfayette (not a half-dollar), and PanPac.

The Connecticut is also one of my favorite, but I agree with the advice of other folks here. You can do much better without spending more. Look for a nice one with a little personality, preferably in either a PCGS or NGC holder.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is a Connecticut I used to own. Part of my 50 piece set I sold last year. I think it sat in its original holder for quite a while:

• Options

@CommemKing said:
    here is a Connecticut I used to own. Part of my 50 piece set I sold last year. I think it sat in its original holder for quite a while:

Those who are just getting into the old commemorative half dollas should look at this piece carefully. A great many collectors like this original look. I'm not a fan of it, but that is just me. You should review this and decide what your taste is.

Most advanced collectors do not care for the look of the coin that is in the opening post. It's been worked on too much. The piece I posted is pleasing to some. There are many collectors who like "white coins." Most collectors don't like washed, whizzed or polished white coins. Mint luster is the key.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 3:49PM

I'm a big fan of the Conn.issue also; and I agree that the o.p. should pass on the dipped coin they posted.
    The Vermont is another favorite, because of the rev. A little subtle color helps. (whoops, sorry, I forgot the title, 1935 commems. well, enjoy the pics!)

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, these are preferable to a dipped white coin; stick to a slabbed piece in any case.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Mint luster is the key.

Amen brother!

• Options
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I like the Bay Bridge commem. For a few reasons. I love the reverse since it is the only coin not to have any flat surfaces, or so I read somewhere. I live in the Bay Area and have a soft spot for the bridge itself since its "brother" to the north gets all of the attention. here is mine, bought when i could not tell the difference between a cleaned surface and a "good" surface.
    (I still can't!! :s ) thanks rln!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@CommemDude said:

Those are stock photos; I am yet to place my bid. It's worth a $207 opening bid because the eagle's look makes me laugh; it has that comical face.

As others have said, don't buy that coin. My advice is to participate and learn on these boards for at least a year before spending any hard earned money on coins. We would like to have you around and I'm afraid you would get disillusioned after learning your several hundred dollar coin can't be sold for fifty.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pilgrim my favorite, that CT OP is bidding on would be a NO GO in my book

• Options

this is the reverse

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins all!

photo ffreddie on eBay Lexington Combo.jpg

The 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial half dollar usually is dull and lifeless due to it's storage in the wood boxes of issue. Issued to commemorate the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord, authorizing an appropriation to be utilized in connection with such observance, and for other purposes.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 4:40AM

No originality to that coin at all. You're better off going for something that hasn't been tampered with. You'll regret this purchase when it's time to sell for an upgrade. Which, by the way, could be any number of XF examples that haven't been messed with.

Cheers

Bob

@Paradisefound said:

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I have to admit that my favorite commemorative half dollar is the Hawaiian. It’s not because it is expensive. The thing that intrigues me is that a territory, which was not even a state with senators and representatives in Congress, was able to get the authorization for a commemorative coin. It’s easy understand how a state like New York, with a big, powerful delegation in Congress, could get one commemorative coin after another passed and get home state hero, FDR, to approve it, but how did Hawaii do that with so little political clout?

Beautiful.!.!
    Good question too :smiley:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorites are the Oregon Trail and the Texas,...Though I do like the Connecticut with the depiction of the Charter Oak...The OP coin would not be a good acquisition.... skip it and go for a better coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin looks polished to me, or at least more than dipped. I've been waiting for Hawaii's to come down a little more so I can upgrade, but they seem to have plateaued.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2018 11:41AM

delete. I am confusing forum members. I am sorry

• Options
    edited February 28, 2018 11:42AM

delete

• Options

What do you mean by "better"? Also, what are your goals with this purchase and your collection? I am confused by your apparent lack of direction.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2018 11:38AM

@TomB said:
    I am trying to purchase my first commemorative and want to make sure I have a right coin to keep and not those cleaned or tampered in anyway. Some suggested slabbed ones are better for assurance but I am not sure if I need to stay with MS64-66 or maybe a good AU55-58?
    I like the Alabama too.....

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    I am trying to purchase my first commemorative and want to make sure I have a right coin to keep and not those cleaned or tampered in anyway. Some suggested slabbed ones are better for assurance but I am not sure if I need to stay with MS64-66 or maybe a good AU55-58?

Look at price guides for commems, including recent auction sales. You will usually find that prices are flat up until they reach a certain grade, although there are issues for which this is not the case. Buy something nice at the highest grade of the flat section. It could be that the savings in buying an AU coin instead of a 64 is only 10%, for which you get a lesser coin that will be much harder to sell in the future.

If you are wondering if you should be buying a slabbed coin instead of raw, then you should be. You owe it to yourself to look at a bunch of coins first, though, so you can get a feel for the quality level you want and the attributes of coins at certain grade levels.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not recommend AU commems unless super cheap. A Connecticut goes from $175 in AU50 to $210 in MS-64 (Greysheet). There's little point in buying the AU coin for the miniscule price difference. Most Commems don't start increasing significantly in price till you get to a 66 or, sometimes, a 67.

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took me 8 years to find the PCGS certified commems for my 50 piece set. And I still think I could have done better. Take your time. A Nicely toned MS65 Columbian would be a nice start. Look at a lot if them and choose one you will be satisfied with for a long time. They can be found cheap right now, many under $300. Just take your time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file