Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pack #24 was a swing and a miss...

• Options

Packs #23 and #24 from the full box of 1983 contained the wrong Boggs (Tommy) and a vibrant, but not grade worthy Nolan Ryan...

• Options

Packs #23 and #24 of the full 1982 box had a nice Brett Butler RC, some HOFers...

...and this contender.

• Options

Here were the 1981 packs. A 2nd Gibson RC from this box appeared along with two HOFers, but nothing gradeable...

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

81s are a beast. Good luck on a good run of packs.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

Weird about the 1986 Donruss cards not being in good condition. Back in the 1980s when I would open those packs I would always recall how crisp and new they looked.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Tuning in for this!! Love the theme and the unopened material.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options

@Big80s said:
    Tuning in for this!! Love the theme and the unopened material.

Thanks Jeff! Between these breaks and your rip videos, the 80s are alive and well in our hobby.>

@ldferg said:

81s are a beast. Good luck on a good run of packs.

Thanks for the well wishes and luck David. You’re right, the 81s are a high grade nightmare...but I am loving the hunt.

• Options

Happy 4th of July everyone. Here come a couple of 1986 Topps vending boxes in search of those elusive 10s...

• Options

Here were the rookies and star cards...

Finding candidates for PSA 10 remains a serious challenge with this set. Out of 1000 fresh cards, only 4 contenders emerged 0.4%...ouch!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those looks really good Chris.

What are the "big hits" in 10 for the set.

I would guess Ryan e.g.?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Those looks really good Chris.

What are the "big hits" in 10 for the set.

I would guess Ryan e.g.?

Hey Mike...happy 4th. The 1986 Sandberg is likely the toughest to find in a 10. The Ryan is the marquis card and my personal favorites are the 2nd year Clemens, Puckett and Eric Davis cards. Love the 1986 Topps Davis card for some reason.

• Options

Let the 1986 Topps journey continue...

• Options

After opening 2 more vending boxes...5 more GEM contenders were found.

• Options

Let’s try some 1987 Topps next...

• Options

I know I am in the minority, but I still love the look of 1987 Topps. Likely because it is the first year I went all in collecting. Cello boxes have always been the best way to pull GEM cards for me, and this box was no exception. Here were the stars...

Here was a fun star pack...

And here were the 14 contenders for PSA 10...

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you're having a ton of fun and I'm enjoying seeing your results. Are you submitting (or eventually going to submit) your candidates to get the sets officially on record, or are you just keeping track of the 10s yourself in your effort to complete the sets?

And, now that you're well into this challenge and seeing the rate of return, any thoughts as to whether you have enough unopened material to finish any of the target sets in 10? Or if there are enough unopened packs / boxes / cases out there in the wild to finish it? :wink:

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:
    Looks like you're having a ton of fun and I'm enjoying seeing your results. Are you submitting (or eventually going to submit) your candidates to get the sets officially on record, or are you just keeping track of the 10s yourself in your effort to complete the sets?

And, now that you're well into this challenge and seeing the rate of return, any thoughts as to whether you have enough unopened material to finish any of the target sets in 10? Or if there are enough unopened packs / boxes / cases out there in the wild to finish it? :wink:

Hi Jim. For now, I am trying to build the full set in what I believe to be 10 worthy and will then submit the full run as a bulk sub. Ideally the sets will have a consecutive run of serial numbers. I am sure I will miss on some and will have to upgrade along the way for anything 8 or below, but I am being insanely picky on what I submit since any of the 80s stuff will be money losing in even a MINT 9.

The rate of hitting 10 candidates is about what I suspected, 0.5-2.0% per box. I knew this was going to be much harder than most would suspect since the production quality during the 1980s was poor. I have tons of cases I have collected over the years, so I have plenty of material to open. Time to do so is my bigger challenge at the moment. If I ever run out, I am pretty sure they are still producing 1986-1989 anyway! This will continue to be a fun quest and thanks to all who are following!

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭

@cpamike said:
    Looks like you might have to bust some cases Chris. :smiley:

Love the Bo Jackson. My son Zachary busted a box of 1987 Donruss he bought at the last National and hit all the big names except McGwire. I told him that it was a good box and not to expect that to happen every time. I don’t want to encourage this type of behavior. ;)

i need 1987 Ben Oglivie or Juan Berenguer PSA Donruss Fleer or Topps 10 if you pull one ... ill buy it raw or ungraded

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@ajw said:
    I just found this thread (as I don't come here often). But wow. This is a project I fully endorse!

Thanks AJW! The comments are what makes this even more fun for me. Hope you come back to check the breaks out.

This was the sweet-spot of my childhood collecting. I was born in 1974 and had a handful of cards in my collection from 78 and 79 but had more from 80 and 81. 1982 is where I really hit my swing and 82-89 or so was peak pack busting for me.

82-83-84 Topps sets will always get me excited. I just love those cards. The 82 In Action cards were awesome. The All-Stars and league leaders were also great. I loved that Topps found a way to get cards picturing the best players of the era.

Keep up the pack breaks and the posts!

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Ideally the sets will have a consecutive run of serial numbers.

Ummm...that would be amazing.

• Options

Let’s look for some more dark blue boardered gems...

• Options

Here were the few stars and rookies...

But far more impressive to me were these 4 candidates for PSA 10...

• Options

You've showed some killers Chris.

I really like the blue borders.

The Ryan future HOFers looks great.

Good luck with your sub.

Please post results and pics buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

It always makes my day when I refresh and see updates in this thread. Love those 1986 fleer. Underappreciated set, imo.

• Options

Time to hunt for some gems in my favorite set of the 1980s...

• Options

Wow...so that box was loaded with GEM MINT candidates!!

First, there were plenty of stars and rookies to add to my ever growing stash of these light blue boardered beauties...

These three RCs made an appearance, albeit an off centered one...

Here are 18 candidates for grading...

Then check out this beauty...I loved this card as a kid!!

And for the finale...it just doesn’t get better than this for a quintessential GEM of an iconic 1980s RC...

• Options

I'm with you on the Bo card Chris - sweet.

Please post when you get it back.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    I'm with you on the Bo card Chris - sweet.

Please post when you get it back.

@BALROG said:
    and STILL,, this pure greatness thread continues. !!! Always watch this.

Thanks for continuing to follow this guys. Love the comments along the way!

• Options

If you told me as a kid that someday I would own all these, I would have predicted I would be rich as an adult...eat your heart out Warren Buffet!!!

I’m sure I could eventually get $50 for all of these, but man the memories associated with these are priceless. Hope everyone takes moments to enjoy their collection and appreciate just how awesome this hobby can be. Cannot put a price on the fountain of youth...

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

I’m sure I could eventually get $50 for all of these, but man the memories associated with these are priceless. Hope everyone takes moments to enjoy their collection and appreciate just how awesome this hobby can be. Cannot put a price on the fountain of youth...

Well put. I love this thread.

Andy

Andy

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    If you told me as a kid that someday I would own all these, I would have predicted I would be rich as an adult...eat your heart out Warren Buffet!!!

This thread is amazing. Incredibly fun to follow and love seeing the hits. I got back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus based upon buying this exact stuff and ripping it. I started buying ahead and didn’t have rip sessions nearly enough to keep up with the unopened inventory. Then I started to research unopened baseball card collections and stumbled on the CU Forum. Was simply blown away by what I saw and the rest is history. Though I am primarily an unopened collector, I rip a decent amount of the 80s material and still get a rush from a big pull. Keep up the awesome “work” here.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

Very true Chris.

The past 2 years, I've been opening new stuff and enjoying it immensely.

It does get away from me and before I know it? I've spent way more than I would ever have imagined!

Mike
  • Options

Sorry gang...that was one long layoff between ripping some 1980’s packs. I missed the National this year, but enjoyed the write ups from those who attended.

Let’s get back at this by finishing the first box of 1984 Topps. 12 more packs to go as we hunt for GEM MINT candidates. I don’t think we have seen Mattingly or Strawberry yet from this box...

• Options

Not much star power in those 12 packs...

But I did find two contenders at first glance...

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2018 12:22PM

Rance Mulliniks may be the best MLB name of all time. Torn between him and Cecilio Guante...

Jim

• Options

Time to take the time machine back to 1982 tonight...here are the last 12 packs from the first box I have been breaking. Hoping for some tough GEM MINT cards out of these packs...

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭

save me a ben oglivie, and juan berenguer cards!!

• Options

Here were the stars in the rest of the box...

And there were 3 GEM MINT candidates in the final packs...

For those wondering, there were 12 GEM MINT candidates out of the 540 cards in the 1982 Topps wax box for a 2.2% hit rate. The 1984 Topps box only yielded 9 candidates for a 1.7% hit rate. The more stuff I break from the 80s, the more I realize how tough finding 10s will be. Sure is a fun journey though...

• Options

Why wait on the 1983s? This box has already yielded a nice Gwynn RC and an off centered Boggs RC. Only one major RC missing at this point. 12 packs left in this box. Here goes...

• Options

No Ryno RC to be found in this box, but a 2nd year Ripken was pulled along with these other stars and rookies...

As Mr. Peanut can attest, these 1983s are tough to find in GEM MINT. The narrow boarders make perfect centering the biggest challenge by far. Add to that a fair amount of print defects and corner/edge dings and you have a tough set to build. For those wondering, there were 19 PSA 10 candidates I pulled from this wax box of 540 pack fresh cards, which is a 3.5% hit rate. So far 1980’s Topps contenders seem to average 1.5-3.5% of the pack fresh production run. Here were the last two contenders...

• Options

Good to see you back on board with your project, Chris.

I was just thinking how I wanted to do the same thing but with vending - that's how I wound up starting with 79T and started a run.

Now? Don't think I have the energy.

Best of luck.

Mike
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

I love this thread!

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Good to see you back on board with your project, Chris.

Thanks Mike...I always love that picture of your 1979 unopened stash!

@TheThrill22 said:
    I love this thread!

Thanks Tom...glad you continue to enjoy the journey with me. I will keep working those 1982s for you.

But first, let’s finish up the last 12 packs from this box of 1981 Topps Baseball...

• Options

Those 1981s are tough and I am pretty sure I had a lucky condition box. Here were the stars from the last of the packs...

3 more GEM MINT contenders emerged...

That took the final tally to 20 contenders out of the 540 pack fresh cards, which is a 3.7% hit rate. I actually feel pretty lucky about that. Unfortunately there was not a Raines or Fernando RC in the entire box. Good thing we have plenty more boxes left...

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

SWEET!

Busted a Box Monday
    https://youtu.be/HJ3yYp64ikg

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    First up...1987 Donruss.

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options

@wadevl said:
    SWEET!

Busted a Box Monday

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    First up...1987 Donruss.

Thanks for sharing your video break. Good looking Maddux and always nice to pull a pair of Larkin and Clark RCs. Good stuff!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again for sharing the results of all these case/box/pack rips; I know I'm not the only one curiously and anxiously awaiting the results of your sub(s) of the "contenders" in this thread!