Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here were the rookies and stars...

And we found 7 contenders with some solid star power too...

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread. Brings back tons of memories. Good luck with your quest.

Robb

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just went through the last couple pages. Have you sent any cards in to PSA yet? Curious to see how your contenders are coming out. May not be a bad idea, maybe you are being too strict or too lenient.

Great thread!

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Thanks Robb!! This has been a fun challenge.

Just ripped a second box of 1988 vending. Stars and rookies continue to pile up...

And I found these two contenders, which means 9 candidates out of 1000 cards this morning (0.9%). Finding perfect copies of 1980’s cards continues to present a challenge...

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Just went through the last couple pages. Have you sent any cards in to PSA yet? Curious to see how your contenders are coming out. May not be a bad idea, maybe you are being too strict or too lenient.

Great thread!

Thanks. I haven’t sent anything in yet since I am waiting to get over 1000+ to get a bulk discount. I have graded plenty of high end rookies in the past, and my guess is I am being very strict. I am looking for perfection since anything in 9 will just frustrate me. That said, I know they won’t give me all 10’s, but anything that falls to 9 will be a crazy high end copy. Thanks for continuing to follow along. Everyone’s comments are what makes this even more fun for me.

• Options

2 more contenders in the third vending box of 1988...

• Options

My eyes are starting to cross after pouring through 4 vending boxes of 1988. Here are the final four contenders taking the count to 15 candidates out of 2000 untouched cards (0.75%). Say what you like about the quantity of 1980’s cards, but finding the flawless quality is a freakin challenge. Thanks to those who continue to follow along!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some sharp cards Chris.

I see a Glavine RC.

Good entertainment for Sunday.

Mike
  • Options

@BALROG said:
    This thread will live forever.

Haha...likely because it will take me forever to find them all in GEM MINT!! Thanks for continuing to post along the way. Also, nice break on the 1980 football box. Your Payton and Largent looked really clean.

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 9:36PM

Starting to think 1980s PSA 10 cards are undervalued.

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

@JWBlue said:
    Starting to think 1980s PSA 10 cards are undervalued.

Yup, totally agree. I even have newfound respect for my junk wax psa 9 rookies

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love how much more of a delight this thread is to read now! I look on in anticipation that you pull some star/rookie gem candidates.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is an amazing thread!!!

Chris, thanks for sharing your adventure and reminding us what having a hobby and collecting are all about. It's about the passion that one has during their journey and the time that one takes to achieve their goal. In other words, it's not just about achieving a goal it's how one gets there. The total opposite of BGS_Buyer's thinking.

Good luck with the rest of your break my friend and keep the fire burning.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Thanks Robb!! This has been a fun challenge.

Just ripped a second box of 1988 vending. Stars and rookies continue to pile up...

And I found these two contenders, which means 9 candidates out of 1000 cards this morning (0.9%). Finding perfect copies of 1980’s cards continues to present a challenge...

Always curious, how in the heck do you decide the centering on those team leader cards? That fading drives my eyes crazy! Good luck on the search!..It's always fun ripping those packs!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

You know how in the late 80s it was fashionable to buy hundreds of the same rookie card and hope to "cash in" should the player make it big? Well 1988 was Tom Glavine's rookie year, and...he was a 300 game winner, made the Hall of Fame on the first ballot with almost 92% of the vote so whoever in 1988 thought to save up all those hundreds of '88 Topps Glavine rookies should really be in the money now...right? Especially if they're this kind of '88 Topps Glavine rookies?

https://youtu.be/w6Q3mHyzn78

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@tbonewilly said:

Always curious, how in the heck do you decide the centering on those team leader cards? That fading drives my eyes crazy! Good luck on the search!..It's always fun ripping those packs!

The left to right centering is pretty easy to tell because the team name should be directly in the center of the card. Said another way, the space between the left edge and the “T” in Twins should be equidistant to the “S” and the right border. The top to bottom centering gets a little harder to tell on the 1988 cards because of the annoying fade at the top of the image. From the best that I can tell, the word “leaders” should be at the same height as the bottom border of a standard card. This seems to align with the printing on the back.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@tbonewilly said:

The left to right centering is pretty easy to tell because the team name should be directly in the center of the card. Said another way, the space between the left edge and the “T” in Twins should be equidistant to the “S” and the right border. The top to bottom centering gets a little harder to tell on the 1988 cards because of the annoying fade at the top of the image. From the best that I can tell, the word “leaders” should be at the same height as the bottom border of a standard card. This seems to align with the printing on the back.

Thanks!..Yea, that makes perfect sense, I always tried to make the top and bottom text match, but it never worked...

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Just checking in - still love this thread :) How many psa 10s would you say you net per box? (Or should I ask per case?)

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options

@mouschi said:
    Just checking in - still love this thread :) How many psa 10s would you say you net per box? (Or should I ask per case?)

Hey Tanner. The rate across Topps and Donruss has been ~1% of pack fresh cards are strong PSA 10 candidates. I am incredibly picky on what I let through. I am looking for dead centered, razor corners, no surface flaws and clean edges (no chipping). Based on my prior submissions over the years, I am guessing 2 out of 3 will hit GEM status or 3 out of 4 on a good day. This would mean that about 0.66% of the unopened 1980’s material is GEM MINT. It has been a fun journey so far and it is time for me to break a few more now...

• Options

Let’s get back to the quest. Up first is another 1989 vending box. Any requests for other material to break today? I am feeling like some 1986 Fleer and Donruss. Maybe some 1981-1985 Topps too...

• Options

Plenty of prospects and stars, but zero PSA 10 candidates...

• Options

I decided to break another 1989 vending box. Plenty of rookies and stars...

And amazingly 15 contenders (3%) with some decent star power too...

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Chris

I'm continuing to enjoy the rips - flashbacks to the 90s - was a really exciting time in the hobby.

On the 89T? I have an 800 ct. box of Glavine 2nd yr cards - paid 8 bucks - couldn't resist.

Now. What the hell do I do with them?

Mike
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris,

Some nice hits on the second box of 1989 Vending. :+1::+1:

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

1989 Topps and 1989 Donruss were the first ever baseball card packs I ever got (I was nine years old at the time)...not surprisingly when I first started my quest to get complete sets and put them in albums those two were among the first ones I got (along with 1987 Topps). :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

I decided to break one more 1989 vending box. Here were the four contenders…

• Options

I feel like hunting for Jose...

• Options

1986 Fleer present a grading challenge. Take a look at the left edges of these as an example to see what I mean. Dark navy blue edges show all kinds of chipping as they cut these just as quickly as they could make them...

• Options

Boom...here were the RCs. None worth grading, but always fun to pull...

And here was the lone contender...

These are fun. Think we might need to rip some more of these later tonight!

• Options

Wow, so this was a Jose Can-you-see kind of night. I broke 18 racks and pulled 4 Canseco RCs. Here were the stars...

Here are the contenders...I love the look of the 1986 Fleer Mattingly...great card.

And if you were a collector in the 1980s, then you will like this pic...

• Options

Time to get back to this woefully off center 1985 Topps rack box. Maybe we can find our first GEM candidate or at least a McGwire RC...

• Options

Oooff...the centering on these sucks! We did pull our second Rocket RC from the box though...

• Options

Up next...

• Options

Pack #13 from the full box...

• Options

Pack #14...Rickey sighting...

• Options

Pack #15...

• Options

Pack #16. Another Rickey sighting and a PSA 10 contender...

• Options

Love me some 1983 Topps...

• Options

Pack #13 from the full box had a nice run of 3 centered contenders...

Here is the rest of the pack...

• Options

Pack #14...

• Options

Pack #15 and the second of the big three makes an appearance in this box. First it was Boggs and this time Mr. Gwynn. Unfortunately the centering is off. I am guessing a solid 8 with a chance at an 8.5...

• Options

Pack #16...

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Man that's a lot of cards to go through. Maybe you'll get lucky soon and pull some gem rookies.

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

This thread rocks!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at those Canseco rookies brought me right back to hunting for those and handling them like fine jewelry when I found them lol

• Options

Well that was too long of a ripping hiatus. Let’s get back to it with some 1981 and 1982 packs...

• Options

1982 pack #13 from the full box...

Pack #14...

And the one gem mint contender...

• Options

Pack #15...and another contender...