Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    After ripping 4 wax rack packs, here were the results...

3 contenders emerged as well...

the second carew hall of famer is offcentered

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Holy cow this year is really tough to find perfectly centered. That along with tons of print dots is going to make this a challenge! Here were the stars and rookies...

These three studs made an appearance too, albeit an off-centered one...

However, I did manage to find 7 contenders for PSA 10 in this box, highlighted by Mr. Ripken...

It looks like l/r centering is pretty strong? t/b not so much?

The fact that you found 7 candidates and the centering wasn't egregiously bad in the 1st box bodes well for the entire case I think.

Can't wait for the 2nd box. Good luck!

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

why arent those in card savers, you making me nervous

only for the pic so there is less glare. they went into card savers immediately after.

the second carew hall of famer is offcentered

That pic is just of the stars and rookies, but none are gradeable. Agree that both Carew’s have flaws...

@TheThrill22 said:
    I cannot wait to look at this thread every day!

Thanks Tom. Glad you continue to follow this thread and are enjoying the ride with me!

@mrpeanut39 said:

It looks like l/r centering is pretty strong? t/b not so much?

The fact that you found 7 candidates and the centering wasn't egregiously bad in the 1st box bodes well for the entire case I think.

Can't wait for the 2nd box. Good luck!

The centering on the first box was all over the place with most OC t/b. I think I might have even been too linient on the Ripken as a contender since he is slightly off in both directions. With 6 legit candidates out of the first box, I am feeling pretty good about the possibility for the case. More ripping to come soon. Thanks for following and commenting along the way!

I feel like jumping to the least attractive design in the 1980s next. Yep, you guessed it...1988 Topps. Don’t worry, I will go back to the early 1980s soon...

To use the words of my daughter...ooofff! I have said this a few times already, but it warrants repeat. By 1985, Topps was printing cards as fast as they could to keep up with demand and the quality suffered significantly. Out of that case fresh vending box of 500 cards, not a single card was worthy of a PSA 10. Not one. Centering was terrible with only a handful of cards being 50/50. Of those, they either had print issues, a tiny edge chip or a soft corner. I know they made mounds of these cards and GEMs exist, but trying to find them will require many, many cases.

Here were the stars and RCs...

Ok, seriously...has there ever been a more appropriately named playa?!?

I also think I found the rare and first game-used card. It is as if Rob himself slide across this card on a close play at the plate...

Against my better judgement, I cracked another box of 1988. Here were more stars and rookies...

Anyone else remember these two can’t miss prospects?

When you don’t have a picture in the new uniform, appearantly it was a good idea to grab a box of colored pencils and just draw the new team colors on the players head shot...

And last but not least, one GEM MINT contender was found out of the 1000 untouched cards...

• I split a box of these with a buddy (i was 12) on the day they came out. he pulled a Sam Horn and I gave him about 5 bucks in trade for it. It was not a good deal for me. :)

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

For the 1986 Fleer, does PSA differentiate between the dark blue color and the lighter blue color on the card fronts? Or does that not count towards the grade? Like the difference between your Brookens card and the Trammell/Cal card...clearly different blues...

@Kep13 said:
    For the 1986 Fleer, does PSA differentiate between the dark blue color and the lighter blue color on the card fronts? Or does that not count towards the grade? Like the difference between your Brookens card and the Trammell/Cal card...clearly different blues...

I have seen both shades in PSA 10 holders, but the darker blue is the intended color of the set design. I think of it similar to the 1962 Topps green tint variation. It is more important to ensure that the border color is uniform across the whole card. I have seen tons where the color fades in a very light stripe almost like a roller line. If I have two contenders of the same card, I submit the darker.

Thanks...I was thinking the same, as far as the dark blue being preferred...thanks for the add'l info...

Time for another 1983 Topps vending box...

• bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 6:21AM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    And here are the 8 GEM MINT candidates out of 1620 pack fresh cards. Yes, that is less than 0.5% coming out perfect. This 1980s stuff in GEM is harder to pull than you would think...

Just a fun fact, if the 0.5% holds, that means that you'd have to rip 244 boxes and get no gem 10 duplicates to make the whole set.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bensie said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    And here are the 8 GEM MINT candidates out of 1620 pack fresh cards. Yes, that is less than 0.5% coming out perfect. This 1980s stuff in GEM is harder to pull than you would think...

Just a fun fact, if the 0.5% holds, that means that you'd have to rip 244 boxes and get no gem 10 duplicates to make the whole set.

Good math skills.

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Good fun skills.

Andy

I love the 1983 Topps set. Great design, top tier rookies and outstanding action photos. Here were the stars and rookies...

These two guys made an off-centered appearance. I could stare at Sandberg’s RC all day. Such a good looking card.

And 9 contenders for GEM MINT were found...

• bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

@krisd3279 said:
    I only found my to the forums here a few days ago, but I have already read this thread from beginning to end. This is great. This is definitely the fun way to do it. I have collected a run of Topps from 1979 to 1992 in raw form in binders. The 1988-1992 was done by opening packs just like this when I was a kid. I just recently started collecting again in 2016 and decided I want to have the whole run of Topps from the year I was born (1979) to current. I'm not sure why I decided that exactly. I had a lot of cards from the older years and had to break quite a few more boxes to get complete sets. A few of the years I purchased complete from other people who had collected them. I prefer the box breaking method. There is just something about opening all those packs and then sorting through the cards and putting them all in order.

I have gotten a little side tracked on my quest to complete the 1993-current sets since I started collecting PSA graded cards. I wanted to collect a complete set and after doing a lot of research I decided to collect the whole 1971 Topps set in PSA 8 or better (with a few exceptions likely due to a lack of $$$). I started out by purchasing a lot of raw cards and pulling out the best ones and sending them in myself. I quickly learned why everyone was talking about the black borders in all those articles I read. The majority of my returns were 6 or 7 with a few 8. More recently I have been buying 8 or better on EBAY just to fill in all the commons. They can be had for a decent price.

Some day I will get back to my quest to finish my run of Topps from 1993 to the current year. I haven't decided which years to break boxes and which years I will just purchase complete. If anyone has advice or opinions on that or collecting 1971 Topps in PSA let me know.

Kris

Hey Kris, check out the Sirius auction this go round. There are dozens of graded 1971 Topps you may be interested in.

• TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

My daily check of this thread did not disappoint. Thank you!

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Just sliced an hour out of my workday catching up on this thread. Truly great stuff here. I've embarked on a few massive junk wax gem projects (89 Hoops, 87 Topps baseball, 90 Pro Set) but the scope & ambition of this one definitely has me beat. Best of luck and thanks for all the updates!!

Also with that follow through swing and the gorgeous RR designation, how on earth did Bruce Fields not become a HOFer?!?

@TheThrill22 said:
    My daily check of this thread did not disappoint. Thank you!

Thanks Tom for continuing to follow the thread and comment along the way. I love reading the posts!

@thehallmark said:
    Just sliced an hour out of my workday catching up on this thread. Truly great stuff here. I've embarked on a few massive junk wax gem projects (89 Hoops, 87 Topps baseball, 90 Pro Set) but the scope & ambition of this one definitely has me beat. Best of luck and thanks for all the updates!!

Also with that follow through swing and the gorgeous RR designation, how on earth did Bruce Fields not become a HOFer?!?

Glad this provided a needed distraction during work...always a bonus! Sounds like you had similar fun across all three main sports. I love 1989 Hoops and going after those D. Robinson RCs. Nice choice. I am sure I will have basketball rips in my future here. Thanks for commenting along the way.

Up next is some 1986 Donruss...

I cannot tell you how condition sensitive these cards are even straight from the pack! There were only a handful that were dead centered. Nearly every card suffers from micro chips on the edges and there are plenty of print spots this year too.

Here is the pile that is building of the stars and rookies...

This box had not one, but two of the former $100 titan that was the Canseco RC. I still get a rush of adrenaline every time I see one of these emerge from a pack! Too bad neither are grade worthy.

There were 4 GEM MINT candidates at first glance...

Super tough to find without any chips. This one may prove to be one of the toughest to complete.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    To use the words of my daughter...ooofff! I have said this a few times already, but it warrants repeat. By 1985, Topps was printing cards as fast as they could to keep up with demand and the quality suffered significantly. Out of that case fresh vending box of 500 cards, not a single card was worthy of a PSA 10. Not one. Centering was terrible with only a handful of cards being 50/50. Of those, they either had print issues, a tiny edge chip or a soft corner. I know they made mounds of these cards and GEMs exist, but trying to find them will require many, many cases.

Here were the stars and RCs...

Ok, seriously...has there ever been a more appropriately named playa?!?

I also think I found the rare and first game-used card. It is as if Rob himself slide across this card on a close play at the plate...

That Deer card reminds me of a 1986 Topps card I pulled a couple years ago with a fingerprint embedded in the ink. I wish I would have saved it, but it was of a nobody.

Let’s stick on the 1986 kick for a bit longer and rip these few wax racks before bed...

Wow...that was a nice rip before bed! Out of 4 wax racks, here were the results. First, the stars and rookies...

I found these three PSA 10 contenders...

And for the second night in a row, Canseco RCs appear in pairs! The top one is certainly gradeable and is right in between a 9 or a 10. I think the bottom edge keeps it at a MINT 9.

tough cards for finding gems, for sure...I think the top Fleer Canseco has the correct centering, but that would take the Woodard/Ward card out of consideration, no? Looks to be quite a bit more border on top of card than bottom...Carter and Barrett look solid...thanks for sharing these rips...I have bought over loads of cards over the past couple months (300k to 400k cards), with the majority of them in really good condition...finding the centered candidates is the hardest part with cards from the late 80's to mid-90's....I'm going thru the same struggles as you....heading home to go thru another box of 20k cards or so...never know what I will find...Jordans, Cansecos, Montanas...a former dealer unloading his stuff I surmise, for next to nothing...latest chunk of 85 cards cost me $140...already pulled Kobe rookie, 1992 Jordans, couple lower end Garnett rookies, Cipper U.D. rookie as well as Mussina, handful of early 90's Griffeys, etc...I have over 90k minor to major star cards I have put into 5000-count boxes so far...I love doing this kind of stuff..thanks again for sharing your experiences...

@Kep13 said:
    tough cards for finding gems, for sure...I think the top Fleer Canseco has the correct centering, but that would take the Woodard/Ward card out of consideration, no? Looks to be quite a bit more border on top of card than bottom...Carter and Barrett look solid...thanks for sharing these rips...I have bought over loads of cards over the past couple months (300k to 400k cards), with the majority of them in really good condition...finding the centered candidates is the hardest part with cards from the late 80's to mid-90's....I'm going thru the same struggles as you....heading home to go thru another box of 20k cards or so...never know what I will find...Jordans, Cansecos, Montanas...a former dealer unloading his stuff I surmise, for next to nothing...latest chunk of 85 cards cost me $140...already pulled Kobe rookie, 1992 Jordans, couple lower end Garnett rookies, Cipper U.D. rookie as well as Mussina, handful of early 90's Griffeys, etc...I have over 90k minor to major star cards I have put into 5000-count boxes so far...I love doing this kind of stuff..thanks again for sharing your experiences...

I like your approach to buying out huge inventory lots and searching for hidden gems. That is the ultimate treasure hunt. Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck on the pulls. What do you do with all the star cards as they start to fill up 5000 ct. boxes? I am starting to have this issue!

This thread and my morning coffee daily = happiness!

I hear those always off-center 1985 Topps calling me...

@Kep13 said:

"I like your approach to buying out huge inventory lots and searching for hidden gems. That is the ultimate treasure hunt. Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck on the pulls. What do you do with all the star cards as they start to fill up 5000 ct. boxes? I am starting to have this issue!"

The cards I want to get graded immediately, or in the near future, go into soft sleeves and then CS I's -- the stars I am not grading right away, go into the monster boxes for future perusal...I will have to do some pop report research before making determination on a lot of those cards...the good thing about these large chunks I have gotten (like the 85k cards I just got) is that they are not overly picked thru...find all the stars...Jerry Rice, Chipper Jones, Big Papi, Lindros, Steve Young, Wade Boggs and on and on....by the time I am done, I will probably have 300 to 400 cards of a lot of these guys....recently emptied out another room in my house to start stacking boxes of cards :)

I love breaking 1985 Topps. It is loaded with so many stars and RCs that it might be the best value rip of the 1980s. That said, this is one tough year to find dead centered and without print and corner defects. Here is the growing pile of stars and rookies...

Hit pretty much all the key RCs with the exception of Gooden...

And by a small miracle found 8 contenders for GEM MINT...for those of you who have ripped this year, you know how amazing this is!!

Think I might have to rip a second box of these next...

So the second box was pretty much the inverse of the first when it came to RCs. The only key RC in the entire box was Gooden. I loved this card as a kid!

I can only hope the condition of the cards keeps up through the rest of this case because there were a whopping 16 candidates for PSA 10 in this box!!! This set is absolutely stunning when the cards are dead centered and exhibiting the characteristics of GEM MINT...

nice 85's...always nice when some of the 10 candidates are stars, ala Rice and Carew...I've got a dozen or so 1985's that I will submit at some point, that appear to have the qualities of a PSA 10...brought in a couple stacks of 1986 Donruss into work with me and am going thru them now when time allows...as you experienced, bad centering and chipping galore...

Great job on the 85's, looks like a good bunch of contenders. Thanks for sharing, now back to my morning coffee after one of my two morning rituals has been completed...

Up next, 1987 Donruss...

I love this set, but man these black borders are tricky to find without any chipping. Here were the rookies in the box...

Luckily, there were 4 contenders for GEM MINT in this box and with star power...

Think I might have to rip another one of these.

Time for some more 1987s...

This will always be my overall favorite baseball card design of the 1980s. Such a clean look with those sky blue boarders. All the key rookies made an appearance, but all were off center...

The piles of stars and rookies continue to grow...

And 13 more contenders showed up...

Think I have time to open another box...

That Cobra is sweet!

edited October 21, 2018 4:56AM

Just like basketball, Fleer collation was really consistent in baseball too. Here are the big 4 out of the second box...nice, but not gradeworthy.

Once again, 13 contenders for PSA 10 were pulled...

And here was the bonus 14th contender...still love this card!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still enjoying this!

I'm ripping Heritage high number right now.

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still enjoying this!

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    Still enjoying this!

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to hearing how your Heritage break goes.

@TheThrill22 said:
    That Cobra is sweet!

Such an underrated player. I agree Tom, that is one good looking Parker.

The condition in this box was outstanding! Here were the ungradeable stars and rookies...

All of the big 4 made an appearance. The Gwynn was really nice, but the top two corners are not perfect...

The miracle was that I found 17 candidates for GEM MINT with some nice star power mixed in...

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is a Cal Ripken 2nd Year Card one of the "Big Four"?

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    Why is a Cal Ripken 2nd Year Card one of the "Big Four"?

First regular issue stand alone card of Ripken, MVP season, World Championship season. 4th most valuable card in the set, in general. Ryan and Henderson are nice pulls from 83, as well, but I have no problem recognizing Ripken as part of the "Big 4".

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

17 is a huge number from vending. fwiw, the Moffitt, Ivie and Rivers are all pretty tough/low pop.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973

I can once again begin my day. Thank you sir!