Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any chance this '94-O pulls an MS?

She arrived in Newport Beach yesterday and we should have an answer in 15 business days (or at least that is what is posted). Any chance she pulls an MS? I was told by a fellow collector that I should dip her to remove the funky obverse patina (he think something spilled on it) but I'm not convinced. I suppose if she returns "Unc-Details" I might consider it.
Here's a couple shots with varying light. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answer is, "No." That coin has both wear and light tarnish.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some high point rub. Nice AU 58!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The short answer is, "No." That coin has both wear and light tarnish.

I thought the same, too. But the more I looked at it and the more I saw it still had cartwheels, the more it seemed like it had a fighting chance (maybe a 1 outta 4?). And I'm not sure what is worn dies vs. actual wear, 94-O's are notorious for poor and weak strikes. It's a shame I couldn't quite capture a decent "in hand" pic, but I suppose we'll have an answer in 14 days.
    As for "tarnish", isn't that just another word for patina?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 3:14PM

Zero chance imho.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

I hate to say this out loud but I found this Morgan in a lot of junk silver and paid a slight premium over melt....

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close! However, you got a great deal. The obverse already has been in a chemical of some kind. If it were mine, I would only lighten the obverse enough to remove the "chemical flow stain." Then sell it as an AU for $$$.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TequilaDave said:
    I hate to say this out loud but I found this Morgan in a lot of junk silver and paid a slight premium over melt....

I love to read that, and this is why the hobby is so good. We just take our chances, and advantage of opportunities. Anyway that's me thinking out loud.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53, perhaps with details

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details, guaranteed. Needs something, like conservation; graders and the company in general is looking for a particular "look" to put in a straight holder. Compare to Coinfacts and auction images.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU Details. Maybe you get a straight AU grade if you dip it, but that color is not good. Congrats on picking it out of a junk bin, though. Still quite the score.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great pull from a common date pile. Still, not mint state. Not a great strike, but better than some 94-O's.

mirabela
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

No chance at MS.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50/53, if it grades. A coin with this look is usually AT to try and hide a cleaning.

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

The coin is not "new."

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No chance at MS, virtually the same chance at a straight grade.
    It has the look of a "Chloroxed" coin that was messed with after the original treatment to try and hide the bleaching, but it didn't help.
    If it were my coin I'd try to flip it and get rid of it and use the profit to buy something problem-free.
    I would not have added cost to the coin by slabbing it.
    Take your profit, dump and run.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't think so !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned and re-toned to me. You still got a good deal.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not an MS coin... 50-53 range.... may get 'Genuine, details'....Be sure to let us know... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file