Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1850 Proof double eagle inquiry.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there was at least one (1) 1850 double eagle proof ("master coin") made along with the rest of a set of 1850 gold.

Mint of the United States
Philadelphia
September 26, 1850

Hon. Thomas Corwin,
Secretary of the Treasury

Sir,
I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of yesterday,
respecting an application made by the Committee on the Library for a series of
“Specimens of gold coins.” I presume that these specimens include one set of
Gold Master Coins, and I have the satisfaction to say that these can be furnished
without delay.

The number of coins will be five, and their cost $38.50

Very respectfully,
Your faithful servant,
R.M. Patterson, Director

[Note supra: Copy sent to Com Library 27 Sept.]

[RG104 entry 216 vol 08 - 18500926 specimen gold coins]

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would have been $38.50 well invested. Is that not face value??

Trade $'s
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 12:24PM

Thanks again for your efforts in locating these mint records. To my knowledge, until your posted findings here there had been nothing publicly known sourced from the mint itself confirming that the mint had created even one "proof" or Presentation Piece of the 1850 Double Eagle, the first Double Eagles to enter circulation.

It is interesting that Breen had suggested there might be as many as five Presentation Pieces or "proofs" of the 1850 Double Eagle, but he had only heard of the one that had been owned by Green as previously posted on the relinked below thread in reference to the below pictured 1850 Double Eagle now in my possession:

"This is the coin identified as possibly unique on the Coinfacts site as the first $20 proof/presentation piece, excepting the 1849 specimen in the Smithsonian. ....."

Here is an additional excerpt from the below linked thread:

"The following may also be if interest to anyone who has read this far with regard to my 1850 Double Eagle:

As noted on the holder, it once belonged to C.W. Green. Interestingly in reading Breen's book cataloging gold proofs I came across a reference by Breen to the very coin. He noted that there were possibly several Presentation Pieces a/k/a proofs made of the first $20 gold piece available for circulation in 1850. He went on to note that Green was reported to have one, but that he had never seen it himself. In addition, the coin is featured on CoinFacts.com as its first described "Significant example" of the 1850 Double Eagle, and CoinFacts further notes under Mintage, "Proofs: Unique?"

(An added personal footnote to the story. When David Bowers was compiling his book on Double Eagles I afforded him an opportunity to view the coin and to my surprise he kindly added my name to the credits for sharing the coin. )

At the time David Bowers was compiling his book on Double Eagles the coin's earlier auction history and connection to Longacre's personal collection ... had not yet been learned.

In addition, here is the above referenced "Coin Facts" description of the coin and its more recent auction history:

Significant examples:
    SEGS Proof-62, "Presentation/PL, enhanced surfaces". Ex - Superior Galleries' "Pre-Long Beach Sale" May 27-29, 2001, Lot 4170A, where it was described as follows: "1850 SEGS graded Proof 62 marked "Presentation/PL" and " Enhanced Surfaces". The coin is also pedigreed to Dr. C. W. Green and so noted on the holder. This is the first collectible issue of the United States Double Eagle series. This coin has a beautiful bold strike with full stars and all other details sharp and clear. The fields are Prooflike and you can see clearly with magnification that the dies and planchet were enhanced prior to striking...""

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11442694#Comment_11442694

• Options

The "Committee on the Library" was a joint committee of Congress. The set of gold might remain in some obscure box, or it might have perished in Library of Congress fire of December 24, 1851. It destroyed a large part of the collection including about 2/3rds of the entire collection, and possibly 3/4ths of the books bought from Thomas Jefferson.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2018 2:51PM

This excerpt might also shed some light on availability of master (proof) coins for this period.

March 29, 1852
    DuBois to M. Stickney:

…I have now the silver dollar, ½ dollar, ¼ dollar and ½ dime of 1851; the remainder you will have to get from circulation. In fact there is no longer any attention paid here to securing master coins or pieces of high finish, since Mr. [Adam] Eckfeld’s decline and decease, and since the business of the Mint has become so pressing. The pieces I have just named, of 1851, are not master coins; merely new and clean specimens….

First, DuBois indicates that master coins were managed by Eckfeldt - made by him? - and that his condition had declined prior to his death (February 6, 1852). The implication is that during this declining health period master coins were not made or made only on orders, such as the one presented above. Second, the increase of business related to California gold and the mint was taxed to melt, refine and coin it all.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did (or does) the Bibliothèque Nationale Collection in Paris have one as part of their 1850 Proof Set?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Unknown. Only mention seems to be hearsay. If they actually have an 1850 master coin set, then the $20 should be part of it.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 12:26AM

@RogerB said:
    Unknown. Only mention seems to be hearsay. If they actually have an 1850 master coin set, then the $20 should be part of it.

I have been in communication with the Bibliotheque Nationale museum in Paris and they maintain that their 1850 $20 is in fact a "proof." At some point I hope to be able to place side-by-side my 1850 $20 (graded a PR-62 by Larry Briggs) and theirs (graded a "cleaned" PR-61, based upon a viewing at the museum, by David Hall).

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, awesome !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@northcoin said:

@RogerB said:

I have been in communication with the Bibliotheque Nationale museum in Paris and they maintain that their 1850 $20 is in fact a "proof." At some point I hope to be able to place side-by-side my 1850 $20 (graded a PR-62 by Larry Briggs) and theirs (graded a "cleaned" PR-61, based upon a viewing at the museum, by David Hall).

Will Bibliotheque Nationale provide accession information and photos of the 1850 gold proofs they have? Interpretation of numismatic terms is fluid.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin in the Bibliotheque Nationale is indeed a proof, that may lend credence to the claim (Breen's) that as many as five could have been struck.... Interesting how little bits and pieces of information slowly come together... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow extremely rare. Cool history. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

@ricko said:
    If the coin in the Bibliotheque Nationale is indeed a proof, that may lend credence to the claim (Breen's) that as many as five could have been struck.... Interesting how little bits and pieces of information slowly come together... Cheers, RickO

It also means that further document investigation might be justified. Does SI-NNC have an 1850 proof gold set? If so, what are the details? (I don't trust Breen - he gives no sources.)

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 11:26AM

@RogerB said:

@ricko said:

It also means that further document investigation might be justified. Does SI-NNC have an 1850 proof gold set? If so, what are the details? (I don't trust Breen - he gives no sources.)

Interesting. I have had the same thought as to further document investigation. Certainly looking forward to what else you may locate. As to photos of the specimen in Paris I am hopeful that the museum will allow me to do so. (If David Hall was able to obtain photos during his viewing, they have not been made public to my knowledge.)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not look at your coin under magnification. Look for specific die polish. Any between the specific letters of "Liberty" will be easy for the folks in France to match.

For example, on your Proof, see if there are two large raised vertical bars in the recess behind the ear. Also some horizontal thin dashes (die polish) around the "Y" of "Liberty." I don't think the "Y" will be recut on your piece. You can pull up an image of a BU on the PCGS website.

I'd really like to see a magnified image of "Liberty," the ear area, and the upper left vertical shield stripes on your coin. :)

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 4:19PM

Definitely will be interesting to compare the two together when they are side-by-side, including under magnification. Per my prior inquiry the museum itself was unable to provide me their own photograph so the plan is to eventually make it there in person with a macro lens for still shots and possibly even a video recording for a potential documentary on the subject of the gold coins consequent from the California Gold Rush.

• Options

@ricko said:

Looking forward to learning if Roger's further research will add even additional "bits and pieces" of helpful information.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@ricko said:

Breen never met a fact that he couldn't make up

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

PCGS has representatives in Paris. The subject might be of enough interest that they could have someone check the collection. After all, discovery of an 1850 proof DE would be a great publicity story for PCGS.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 7:59AM

@Treashunt said:

@RogerB said:

@ricko said:

Your comment about "make up" ignores what Breen wrote on this specific topic, so it does not appear to be relevant here.

In Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins 1722-1989, he says 2+ specimens, so I'm not sure where @northcoin's 5 number comes from (it is not from his other Encyclopedia in 1988; perhaps it is from the 1977 first edition of his Proof Encyclopedia?).
    And he gives sources for 3 potential specimens, including citing the 1850 Patterson letter @RogerB has shown, and 2 auction lots:

Gold Dollar, Quarter Eagle, Half Eagle, Eagle. [1+] Unknown, though at least one of each must have been struck in proof for the set made up for the Congressional Committee on the Library, per Patterson letter 9/26/50.

Double Eagle. [2+] Large coronet beads, Y recut, different hub from 1849; continued through 1858 on business strikes from all mints. (1) J. B. Longacre estate, 1870: 178, at a then astonishing $27, "from the first dies used for the double eagle." (2) Dr. Green: 719 (at a then extraordinary $315), which was questioned, and which I have never seen -though the price reportedly realized was fantastic for the time, well after the postwar boom in gold had faded away. Another was in the gold set mentioned above.

He does indicate that he did not verify the second specimen (now apparently owned by @northcoin), and that it was questioned [by B. Max Mehl].
    from
    https://pcgs.com/books/breen-proofs/Chapter06-018.aspx

In the Bibliography section of Breen's other Encyclopedia (Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins, 1988), he cites on p.682:

Green, Dr. Charles W., coll, MBS, BMM, 4/26/49. Gold coins.

[MBS = Mail Bid Sale, BMM = B. Max Mehl]
    Breen did not mention the Dr. C.W. Green specimen in his discussion of the 1850 $20 in this 1988 book on p.563.

Thanks to the Newman Numismatic Portal, we can see the auction description for lot 719 (as cited by Breen) from this 1949 sale:

https://archive.org/stream/drcharleswgreenc1949mehl#page/42/mode/1up
    So this yields the additional data that Dr. C.W. Green bought the coin for $350, and it sold in 1949 for $315.

@northcoin, in the other threads you linked, you assert that the Dr. C.W. Green coin is the same as the Longacre coin, but I don't see your evidence for this. Do you have more than what you posted?
    As we know, linkages between auction appearances are often questionable. There could be 3 separate coins here, or they could all be one coin, or other combinations. In this case, we know Green bought it for $350, prior to the 1949 sale, but I don't see the full linkage back to the 1870 Longacre estate sale.
    Usually specific details on the coin or photos are used to link coin appearances, but this can be more difficult for higher grade coins which have relatively few flaws.

Finally, here is the current entry in PCGS CoinFacts on the Paris specimen:

David Hall Supposedly two or three proof $20 Liberties were struck in 1850. Today, only one survivor is known. It is in the collection of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France museum in Paris. It is a cleaned PR61. I have personally examined the coin and it is absolutely an unquestionable proof, it just sadly has been fairly harshly cleaned at some time in the past. The coin is part of the collection of a French national who came to the United States circa 1840, made his fortune, and returned to France. He was fortunately a coin collector who obtained many important coins directly from the U.S. Mint while he was in the United States.

pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/9062

• Options
    edited February 1, 2018 8:25AM

The quote "he coin is part of the collection of a French national who came to the United States circa 1840, made his fortune, and returned to France. He was fortunately a coin collector who obtained many important coins directly from the U.S. Mint while he was in the United States." likely refers to Alexandre Vattemare.

"Sept 23, 1848
    To: Patterson

Accompanying this communication you will receive a number of very handsomely executed medals presented by Mr. Alexandre Vattemare to the Treasury Department for the United States Mint. They are fine examples of the perfection to which that art has been attained in France.

As a mark of estimation and to aid in carrying out the system of national exchanges of which Mr. Vattemare is the distinguished originator, you are hereby authorized to place at his disposal copies of all the coins of the United States and whatever medals you may have in your power to furnish."

A fresh examination of the "French connection" for 1850 proof double eagles seems overdue.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

It is true there is only one Proof $20
    Double Eagle and it is in France.
    David Akers has also seen the coin.

• Options

Too many questionable reports. It should be examined and photographed and the accession records copied. The Vattemare suggestion does not align with the Congressional Committee on the Library request of 1850.

My suggestion is: start fresh and assume nothing.

• Options

Dear @northcoin

If you have the chance, will you answer my request: Please see if there are two large raised vertical bars in the recess behind the ear. Also some horizontal thin dashes (die polish) around the "Y" of "Liberty." I don't think the "Y" will be recut on your piece.

Thanks

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The quote "he coin is part of the collection of a French national who came to the United States circa 1840, made his fortune, and returned to France. He was fortunately a coin collector who obtained many important coins directly from the U.S. Mint while he was in the United States." likely refers to Alexandre Vattemare.

"Sept 23, 1848
    To: Patterson

Accompanying this communication you will receive a number of very handsomely executed medals presented by Mr. Alexandre Vattemare to the Treasury Department for the United States Mint. They are fine examples of the perfection to which that art has been attained in France.

As a mark of estimation and to aid in carrying out the system of national exchanges of which Mr. Vattemare is the distinguished originator, you are hereby authorized to place at his disposal copies of all the coins of the United States and whatever medals you may have in your power to furnish."

A fresh examination of the "French connection" for 1850 proof double eagles seems overdue.

Rogers, are you pointing to the word "copies" as why examination needs to be reviewed?

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

Be nice Stew. :)

• Options

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

It is hard for me to imagine that Mint employees took time to strike only one proof $20 and gave it to our special foreign visitor. Agree?

• Options
    edited February 7, 2018 12:45AM

@yosclimber said:

@Treashunt said:

@RogerB said:

@ricko said:

Your comment about "make up" ignores what Breen wrote on this specific topic, so it does not appear to be relevant here.

In Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins 1722-1989, he says 2+ specimens, so I'm not sure where @northcoin's 5 number comes from (it is not from his other Encyclopedia in 1988; perhaps it is from the 1977 first edition of his Proof Encyclopedia?).
    And he gives sources for 3 potential specimens, including citing the 1850 Patterson letter @RogerB has shown, and 2 auction lots:

Gold Dollar, Quarter Eagle, Half Eagle, Eagle. [1+] Unknown, though at least one of each must have been struck in proof for the set made up for the Congressional Committee on the Library, per Patterson letter 9/26/50.

Double Eagle. [2+] Large coronet beads, Y recut, different hub from 1849; continued through 1858 on business strikes from all mints. (1) J. B. Longacre estate, 1870: 178, at a then astonishing $27, "from the first dies used for the double eagle." (2) Dr. Green: 719 (at a then extraordinary $315), which was questioned, and which I have never seen -though the price reportedly realized was fantastic for the time, well after the postwar boom in gold had faded away. Another was in the gold set mentioned above.

He does indicate that he did not verify the second specimen (now apparently owned by @northcoin), and that it was questioned [by B. Max Mehl].
    from

In the Bibliography section of Breen's other Encyclopedia (Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins, 1988), he cites on p.682:

Breen did not mention the Dr. C.W. Green specimen in his discussion of the 1850 $20 in this 1988 book on p.563.

Thanks to the Newman Numismatic Portal, we can see the auction description for lot 719 (as cited by Breen) from this 1949 sale:

So this yields the additional data that Dr. C.W. Green bought the coin for $350, and it sold in 1949 for $315.

Finally, here is the current entry in PCGS CoinFacts on the Paris specimen:

David Hall Supposedly two or three proof $20 Liberties were struck in 1850. Today, only one survivor is known. It is in the collection of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France museum in Paris. It is a cleaned PR61. I have personally examined the coin and it is absolutely an unquestionable proof, it just sadly has been fairly harshly cleaned at some time in the past. The coin is part of the collection of a French national who came to the United States circa 1840, made his fortune, and returned to France. He was fortunately a coin collector who obtained many important coins directly from the U.S. Mint while he was in the United States.

pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/9062

Thanks for the effort extended to provide the added information and documentation. The discussion by Breen as quoted sounds similar to what I recall having read. (Unfortunately the book I sourced was at the local public library and when I have gone back it was no longer there so am unable to identify the edition.) I believe the reference to possibly five proofs came from a table. Is there one in the edition you identify?

My intended next step is to gain access to the Paris specimen so the two 1850 $20 Double Eagles can be placed side-by-side for comparison under the same lighting conditions. In the interim I look forward to the additional findings that Roger may learn of through his amazing research of mint records.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 11:40AM

R. Tettenhorst visited the Bibliotheque Nationale in 1995. His notes are here:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/540906

Of the 1850 $20 gold he says, "from the Z 2128 [tray number?] collection....the 1850 $20 gold piece is clearly a proof with an extremely strong strike; a small amount of wire rim on the reverse, but a few minor spots of rub."

• Options

OK. Now this is a more meaningful observation -- and contradicts most of the others.
    Mr. Tettenhorst's observations have always been of high quality and objectivity, in my opinion.

[R. Tettenhorst Files: Bibliothèque Nationale Collection, Newman Numismatic Portal. Accessed 2/1/2018.]

1st Draft, p.4

“From the Z 2128 collection …The 1850 $20 gold piece is clearly a proof, with an extremely strong strike; a small amount of wire rim on the reverse, but a few minor spots of rub. The 1850 silver dollar in proof appears to be the Bollinder 3 described by Walter Breen. The base of the zero is double punched. However, the die file marks are not visible below the zero. The obverse has a pronounced wire rim all the way around, although there are no cracks through the base of the date.”

This and an earlier yellow sticky note, plus silver and minor coin notations, indicate that a full 1850 master coin (proof) set was acquired for the Z-2128 collection and became part of the Bibliothèque Nationale. This is consistent with Alexandre Vattemare's international cultural exchange program.

• Options

Very interesting. You would think that all the other examiners would have seen the double punched "0" and made note of it.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Very interesting. You would think that all the other examiners would have seen the double punched "0" and made note of it.

The double punched "0" is on the silver dollar, not on the G$20. This is still useful because it suggests a full proof set of all denominations.

• Options

@northcoin said:
    ... I believe the reference to possibly five proofs came from a table. Is there one in the edition you identify?

I don't see a table of estimated surviving proofs in the online version of Breen's 1989 Proof Encyclopedia. It is text organized by date and by denomination within date, with a few photos. I don't have a shelf copy of this book.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@Insider2 said:

The double punched "0" is on the silver dollar, not on the G$20. This is still useful because it suggests a full proof set of all denominations.

Thanks, When RWB posts something I tend to believe it. So although I never knew that Bolender attributed $20 gold coins and also overlooked "silver dollar" in the post I swallowed the info. :(

• Options
    edited February 2, 2018 11:21AM

The reference to "Bollinder 3" was in relation to the dollar not double eagle.

If readers go to the link provided by Coinosaurus, they can read the complete file of notes and photocopies.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@northcoin said:
    ... I believe the reference to possibly five proofs came from a table. Is there one in the edition you identify?

I don't see a table of estimated surviving proofs in the online version of Breen's 1989 Proof Encyclopedia. It is text organized by date and by denomination within date, with a few photos. I don't have a shelf copy of this book.

Thanks for the added input. I actually stopped by my local library today to see if by chance the edition they once had was in some other location. After a search it was confirmed that the public library no longer has a hard copy.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 5:20AM

@ RickO said:

@yosclimber said:

In Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins 1722-1989, he says 2+ specimens .....

He does indicate that he did not verify the second specimen (now apparently owned by @northcoin), .....
    from

The Dr. C.W. Green attribution.

With regard to Breen's described references to my coin (as again pictured above) and his estimate of possibly 5 proofs, I am continuing to search for a print copy of "Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Proof Coins" which may include a table so referencing his estimated number of proofs. In the course of those efforts I did locate at a university library a print copy of the 1988 edition of his other "Encyclopedia." "Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins." Of relevance to the topic at hand regarding 1850 Double Eagle Proofs, as posted below, it does identify both the one from the set for the Congressional Committee on the Library and the one in the Longacre estate (which per numismatic author and researcher Karl V. Moulton, is the same coin as described above by Max Mehl in the quoted 1949 auction description.)

• Options

In Breen's day, most object research required on-site visits - something that was too expensive (and unprofitable) for sponsors.

Hopefully, this little thread will generate observations/examinations that can more accurately identify, evaluate and quantify 1850 DE proofs. Further, it could also aid information collection about the 1849 pattern.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    PCGS has representatives in Paris. The subject might be of enough interest that they could have someone check the collection. After all, discovery of an 1850 proof DE would be a great publicity story for PCGS.

JD has been through the Bibliotheque Nationale and if there's one there, he would have notes on it.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

I just confirmed that there is one in the BN collection - he has a picture of it which will be published in his upcoming proof gold book.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Dear @northcoin

If you have the chance, will you answer my request: Please see if there are two large raised vertical bars in the recess behind the ear. Also some horizontal thin dashes (die polish) around the "Y" of "Liberty." I don't think the "Y" will be recut on your piece.

Thanks

NOTE: Sometime in the past, I recorded the diagnostics posted above for a 1850 PROOF $20 Liberty. I show no record of that coin having a repunched date.

@northcoin has shown us an 1850 Proof $20. My question posted earlier (if you decide to reply) requires a very simple yes/no answer. Hopefully, when you have the time to examine your Proof coin again, you'll provide an answer to my question for all of us to see. Thanks in advance! :)

• Options

@Regulated said:
    I just confirmed that there is one in the BN collection - he has a picture of it which will be published in his upcoming proof gold book.

Excellent. Is that the only one or has his research located more?

• Options

It's the only coin that he's ever seen that he believes to be a true proof.

• Options

Interesting. Maybe the accession data will show the coin's origin. If not the Library Committee, then where is that coin?

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Interesting. Maybe the accession data will show the coin's origin. If not the Library Committee, then where is that coin?

Maybe the Library Committee gifted it to some fancy French library?

• Options

Yes, that is plausible. I'll try to check RG 128 next time I get to NARA.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2018 1:47PM

@RogerB said:

Mike Sargent does most of the PCGs grading weeks I believe in Paris. The next is next week. He may be your best shot to contact.

Edited: Just saw the JD reference on the BN coin.... Keeping the info above in case it is of any help.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Crypto said:
    Cool thread

Agree. Even cooler if I could get an answer to my question! :(

• Options

At the present incomplete state of knowledge, it might be better to simply report each suspect, rather than attempt to draw conclusions. I base this on a substantial mistrust of Breen and other old reports. They have equal chance of being right or wrong, so let's observe closely, then compare. :)

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 4:56PM

My personal experiences have led me to believe that 20th century numismatic research has a 50% chance of being right (if you're lucky), so you may as well disregard all of it and just try and find what you can in primary source material or by forensic analysis of the coins themselves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file