Home U.S. Coin Forum

1936-1964 Rattler Proof set

KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeking advice. I am more than halfway done with a set of proofs 36 to 64 in old rattler holders. I was trying for a difficult set, but I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I have hit an roadblock, and the ones that I am missing are getting increasingly hard to find. At what point do I give up? Are there any proof LMC in ratters at all? or am I seeking something that does not exist? Is it even possible to complete this set?

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always look for retro holders for the hard issues.

edited December 2, 2017 4:13PM

Wasn't there a retro rattler or only the later ogh?

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some things just no longer exists
    I wish you the best of luck

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more things change, they stay the same.
    The '50 Frankie is still a stopper.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are we talking about? 5 coins per year and add a coin or two for silver nickels. Almost 200 coins? Damn, that is lofty.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

7 for the 36's (brilliant and satin for the cents and nickles). Type 1 and 2 for the '42 nickles, other than that 5 per year.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like one heck of a project that will take years to complete (if it ever could be). Good luck and post some photos of your collection.

I have undertaken a similar project and have been working on it since late 1998 when I returned to the hobby as an adult. I am collecting raw Cameo proof and SMS coinage from 1950-1970. It has been a fun project. I posted a thread yesterday with photos of the 1950-1964 proof sets in Capital Holders. The photos are cell phone photos of poor quality, but they show contrasted silver, nickel and copper proof coins.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    The more things change, they stay the same.
    The '50 Frankie is still a stopper.

I put together a set of franklins some years back in proof. I believe I had 2-3 1950's. I sold the entire set and 50+ duplicates to a friend of board member oreville. Perhaps he can help you with those.

may the fonz be with you...always...

@joebb21, your complete collection of franklins inspired me to attempt this set. I just didn't know how difficult it would be.

• coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

What is a "rattler?"

Let's Go Mets!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is doable but you are definitely a high achiever. Good luck.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2017 9:03PM

@coinboynyc said:
    What is a "rattler?"

In the very early years of PCGS from 1986-1989, the coin in the holder 'rattled' if you shook it back and forth. Because of this, these early generation encapsulated coins became to be known as 'rattlers'

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have more eyes looking to help you - what do you need now?

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a cool idea but most likely impossible to complete. Some common proof coins don't really find their way into holders at all. Now add the Rattler requirement.

@davewesen said:

Any leads on 1958-1963 proof Lincolns in rattlers would be greatly appreciated.

• Eeyore84Eeyore84 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    Seeking advice. I am more than halfway done with a set of proofs 36 to 64 in old rattler holders. I was trying for a difficult set, but I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I have hit an roadblock, and the ones that I am missing are getting increasingly hard to find. At what point do I give up? Are there any proof LMC in ratters at all? or am I seeking something that does not exist? Is it even possible to complete this set?

I used to get all my rattlers regraded.. early proofs. All of mine had color... 1937, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42. If I see anymore I’ll keep in the rattler.

Jason Wendt

~Midwest Coin Exchange
    Vivid_coins
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was easy it would not be satisfying. Stick with it.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Wow that is an amazing project... I was told I was crazy when I started putting together a toned MS Peace $ set - impossible, you will never finish it, the coins dont exist - well I did and even have a B set. So dont give up -- the coins are out there and you just have to look harder. You might have to fly to shows all over the country to find them though. You will do it but it might take 20+ yrs... it took me 20 yrs to find a rainbow toned 21 Peace $.... the hunt is everything !!!!

Good luck!

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hunt is most of the "Thrill" good luck and please post some photos.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have the 1942 Proof Cent and nickel 5c in rattler holders. Also have a set of 1953 Carver - Washington Halves as well.

@KindaNewish said:

Why don't you post a list of what you need? If I ever come across them, I'll PM you a lead.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the coins in the rattler holders that are already in your collection (and for the coins in rattler holders that you do not have and are currently looking for) do you have a criteria that the coins in the holders must meet (i.e. PF63 or better, no haze, no carbon spots, etc.) or is any coin ok as long as it is in a rattler holder (i.e. you will take a 1950 cent with carbon spots and haze grading PF61 to fill the hole in your collection and then look to upgrade)?

I guess another way to ask is whether the primary factor in your assembling the collection is the quality of the coins in the holders, or the fact that the holder is a rattler?

Also, out of the total number of coins that would make up proof sets from 1936-1964 (do you include major varieties?) how many do you currently have and how many do you have left to go?

I like the look of your collection in the photos, The old style rattler holders have nostaglic appeal.

Thanks. I'm trying to fill the holes now, and when complete (if I can) I will upgrade. And I would gladly take a 1960 cent with carbon spots to fill the hole, but I've never even seen a 1960 Lincoln proof in a rattler yet. I am not even trying for die varieties at this time.

• coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:

@coinboynyc said:
    What is a "rattler?"

In the very early years of PCGS from 1986-1989, the coin in the holder 'rattled' if you shook it back and forth. Because of this, these early generation encapsulated coins became to be known as 'rattlers'

Wouldn't that subject the rims of coins to potential damage over time, from the rattling activity?

Let's Go Mets!
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can expand into a few OGH. I know someone else doing a very similar set.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fun of collecting is the thrill of the hunt! Never Give up!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    The fun of collecting is the thrill of the hunt! Never Give up!

Not for me. The hunt gets old for me after about a year. Discovering new and different historical facts is great for me. The chase is not much fun, especially when it boils down to auctions with sky high prices.

As for rattle holders, I avoid them. I don't find them attractive, and their size does not fit in with the other PCGS coins I have. I also really dislike the rattle when it occurs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Six month update:
    A kind board member shared with me his September 1989 population report. I learned that this is a 114 coin set (7 coins in 1936, type 1 and type 2 cents and nickles; 6 coins in 1942, type 1 and type 2 nickles; and 6 coins in 1960 Small date and large date cents. cents through halfs in all other years 1937-1941,1950-1959,1961-1964.
    All of the proofs at one time existed. There are positive populations for all issues, although some are quite scarce.

Some dates and denominations are plentiful. There were only 848 coins of all years and denominations in PF68, only 74 in proof 69, and none at all in PF70. Of course, this was before CAM and DCAM were recognized, and no other varieties other than the ones noted above were recognized.

I have 80/114. Since my last post on this in December, I have added 8 coins, upgraded 12.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a friend of mine took a long while to complete a similar set, all Rattler short set of Classic Commemoratives.

JMHO, but when you reach a certain point in such an endeavor it turns into not being selective about the coin at all, what matters is the holder it's in. that can result in some sub-par coins.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe augment which OGH for the ones that prove to be impossible. Would still be excessively cool. Good luck! Keep an eye out on the CRO Early Bird if you’re not already

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I recommend a thread on the bst with ALL the coins still needed, bumped monthly.
    You might only add a couple a year, but do not give up...

• OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

Please feel free to PM me a list of what you need and my eye will be out. I do alot of business in this kind of stuff. Infact 2 days ago I just bought a 40 coin collection of 50s-60s cam/dcam proofs in fattys and ogh, lots of sequential serial numbers, however no rattlers.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:

@davewesen said:

Any leads on 1958-1963 proof Lincolns in rattlers would be greatly appreciated.

I am convinced that 1959 coins don't exist in rattler holders. I have seen 1960-1963 pennies in rattlers. Good luck finding a 1958, you'll need it.

I collect rattlers. PM me a list of what you need, and I'll keep an eye out as I check for rattlers for my sets often.

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Ray,
    I guess we are in the same club, but I am looking for MS Jeffersons in the rattler holders. I know I have kinda slowed down as these things just don't show up much. That said, I believe you will be more than elated as you get down to needing just a few.
    Thanks for the lead you gave me on the 50-D MS64 rattler. I was surprised to be underbidder but maybe more are looking for these than I realize.
    Also wanted to share this 1959 PR66 Jefferson in a Doily. At least we are looking for rattlers.
    George

@Justacommeman said:
    Maybe augment which OGH for the ones that prove to be impossible. Would still be excessively cool. Good luck! Keep an eye out on the CRO Early Bird if you’re not already

m

No can do, OGH are just too easy. I could probably fill this set tonight via ebay if I were to stoop to OGH.
    But I may have to change (not lower; change) my standards to include doily's if you were to to decide to let that '59 go, George.

Here is a link to your registry sets for people wanting to help you

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/member/othersets/68110

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe you should help us and post a BST thread with what you still need.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really cool and challenging way to put the sets together. They should give you a bonus in the registry just for that!

Good luck finding the last ones you need.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Your welcome Ray! That 1937 Buffalo looks really nice!

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a friend that tried the 144-piece commem set, was 3 away when he died. Actually I think he knew he was on his way out and sold the set before he went. He worked on it for a loooonnnnggg time. I think there were some pop 1's in the 3 he was missing and a former board member owned them (I don't remember who).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file