Home U.S. Coin Forum

1936-1964 Rattler Proof set

2»

Comments

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you get tired of beating yourself over the head,,,,,,,,,,,it's time to switch hands.

Congrats on a very difficult undertaking. I'm assuming you're looking at every auction on the internet, if not, sometimes odd things lurk.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this thread pinned as a favorite for a few years. Glad to see the collection is progressing. I remember when you asked when the right time is to give up--your answer: NEVER!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

I remember "making" a PR69 1964 in the rattler era.
    Bought the coin for 25c at a flea market.
    If I recall, it had nice cam+ surfaces on both sides.
    I sold it for a big number.....and as @KindaNewish said, not many of these were submitted..and back then, a 69 was, well, a 69.

With a production of only 21, this 1964 PR69RD cent has about a 5% probability of being the one you found.
    Mine also has very strong cameos on both sides, so, until proven otherwise, I am going to assume that the one in my set is the same as the one you found.
    Thank you for finding it and making it for me.

• StellaStella Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

This is a neat project. The coins do look very cool together as you slowly gather more of them!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a heck of a set, tough parameters!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:

@mannie gray said:

I remember "making" a PR69 1964 in the rattler era.
    Bought the coin for 25c at a flea market.
    If I recall, it had nice cam+ surfaces on both sides.
    I sold it for a big number.....and as @KindaNewish said, not many of these were submitted..and back then, a 69 was, well, a 69.

With a production of only 21, this 1964 PR69RD cent has about a 5% probability of being the one you found.
    Mine also has very strong cameos on both sides, so, until proven otherwise, I am going to assume that the one in my set is the same as the one you found.
    Thank you for finding it and making it for me.

That is kind of cool!
    It was an outstanding coin if my memory from 30 years ago is any good.
    It's weird that I can remember particular coins from years ago but not where I put my keys.......or where my glasses are....oops...just sat on them... again....

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. In fact down right impressive.

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Way cool set. Keep going !

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 6:42PM

@KindaNewish said:

@philographer said:
    I've had this thread pinned as a favorite for a few years. Glad to see the collection is progressing.

Oh, that was not me who said "never". I've tried to give up on this set because it is so difficult many times. Encouragement (and a few leads and trades) from the good folks here has kept me going on it.

This is a monumental challenge that now, after a few years, have finally realized was worth it. I'll never be able to sell this set for anything close to what I've had to pay (not for the coins, but the countless hours I've spent looking for these little weirdos), but since this will probably never be duplicated, I'm glad I took this challenge.

You may not have said "never" but your actions demonstrate it. You haven't given up. Excellent work. B)

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way you can quit, now, cuz you're so close to the finish line.

A Monumental undertaking that I have truly enjoyed watching develop over the years.

You should be very proud.

I know that I am impressed, which doesn't happen very easily.

Keep it up.....you'll get there.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• goldengolden Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a set!

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would still consider the doily, one of the OGH, even though it is different from the rest. Amazing set!

Im in the process of putting together a set of old white NGC holdered dimes.

• BenVBenV Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

This is awesome! Sent you a PM, I may have one for your collection.

• NPONPO Posts: 31 ✭✭

That is awesome! Keep on keeping on!

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I have now seen 3 pr68's since my last post. A 1956, a 1962 and a 1955 that I know for sure was cracked.

Keep up the search!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the current status of your set?

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    Hello everybody, and Happy Thanksgiving. This is the year 7 annual update.

As expected, newps and upgrades are becoming more difficult to find as the years roll by. But with help from you guys and a few friends and sympathetic coin dealers, this set has still improved. Thank you so much to all who have helped me with this set.

A few unremarkable coins in archaic plastic were obtained to complete the incredibly difficult 1956 and 1960 parts of this set.

When I started this set, I didn't know that the original production of these proof coins in rattlers were so tiny (the rattler populations are in the comments section of my registry set). I started this set not knowing if many of these things even existed at all. After a fine fellow shared with me his copy of the September 1989 PCGS population report, I actually felt deflated, because it seemed that this was an impossible set to finish, and I wasted my time and money trying to complete a set that couldn't be completed. But 30 years after production of rattlers ended and a few years working on this set, I was so close to getting it done. Encouragement upthread and my own stubborness about admitting defeat keeps me at this.

And then in July, HLRC finds this awesome 1936 proof rattler dime and sells it to me at a very reasonable price to complete the Mercury part of this set. Happy times!

Then here is where Gary comes in.
    If you collect rattlers and don't know Gary, you should. If you are a collector of rattlers or other old holders and don't have contact info for Gary U*******y, please PM me so I can connect you to this gentleman who has an uncanny ability to locate these oddballs.

Somehow, Gary obtained a pair of proof rattler Jeffersons, 1958 and 1959 for me. Don't know where he found them, but I am so glad that he remembered this set and sent them to me. The sad part is that the proof 1959 PR 66 5c in a doily that I was so grateful that George sent me last year has been downgraded for a PR 65 rattler.

But the 1959 Jefferson doily will always remain a treasured coin. It now goes into my doily box and will be an anchor when I work on the set of 36-64 proof doilys.

Sometime later, a few months ago and I don't know how, Gary found a 1936 rattler proof Walker and offered it to me. Honestly, I couldn't throw money at him fast enough to get this into this set. This completes the Walking Half part of this set.

The end is in sight. 112/114.

[photos of the newps and updoots will be added as an edit to this post in the next few days]

Gary has a bad reputation in a lot of circles. Tread VERY carefully with him. Can't say more without throwing mud, so I won't. I do believe he is a former member here.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Also a 36 proof walker in a rattler just sold on... I want to say GC? a week ago. They aren't hard to find, per se, just takes some patience.

It's the later date, lower value stuff that would be harder.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

am I reading correctly that you only need the 36 satin cent and 36 quarter?

@DelawareDoons said:
    Also a 36 proof walker in a rattler just sold on... I want to say GC? a week ago. They aren't hard to find, per se, just takes some patience.

oh, I now remember why I have you on ignore.
    you are the guy who tried to lowball me on some NGC 3.0's.

Gary found 2 1936 Walker proofs in rattlers, he offered me one at a little bit above his cost before he sent the other to GC.
    7 years looking for a 36 proof walker in a rattler, these are the first two I have ever seen.

edited November 26, 2021 7:39AM

@KindaNewish said:

@DelawareDoons said:

oh, I now remember why I have you on ignore.
    you are the guy who tried to lowball me on some NGC 3.0's.

Gary found 2 1936 Walker proofs in rattlers, he offered me one at a little bit above his cost before he sent the other to GC.
    7 years looking for a 36 proof walker in a rattler, these are the first two I have ever seen.

There was one on eBay about 4 months ago too, I bought it for little to no premium above going rate for the grade, cracked it, and got a 1.5 point bump.

I didn't lowball you on anything, I offered you a slight premium to market rates. You deleted the post where you called me a lowballer and apologized because you were dead wrong.

Good luck with your pursuit, nonetheless, and hopefully you don't get burned by Gary.

PS; it's kind of a shame, we chatted elsewhere and there was no animosity between us at all, we had a really nice chat about your Rattler set and you were trying to buy a couple coins off me but I wasn't selling.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2021 7:38AM

Been following your progress on this set. So exciting that you are nearing the finish line. Monumental achievement!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Congratulations on your set completion. Given the value of the other 2 pieces, there are probably survivors in rattlers out there.

What happens when you complete it? Are you planning to sell it?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    The more things change, they stay the same.
    The '50 Frankie is still a stopper.

Their is a 1950 Proof Frankie on ebay in an OGH currently.
    Jim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203691967942?hash=item2f6cfcc5c6:g:1nAAAOSwQRphYldr

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck, KN. Great set. Never would have thought it possible. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck trying to find a '36 Satin Cent. Also don't pay too much for your coppers as many will not grade red anymore.

edited August 8, 2022 10:48PM

Redacted

Is the satin 1936 cent the last coin?

• TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Amazing progression and an amazing accomplishment ! Congrats

edited July 4, 2022 5:49PM

A quick update before fireworks.
    The set is almost complete, and there is no way I could have done this without help. Thank you all.
    The set is 113/114 complete. Still missing the 1936 Satin Proof Lincoln in a rattler. According to the September 1989 population report, 59 of the 1936 type 1 cents were produced. It is possible that some exist, so I keep my hopes up and welcome any leads.

No newps, only 5 upgrades.
    Last year when I posted the t-day update, one of the prized pick-ups was a 1956 Lincoln. Although at PR64, it was the only sub-gem in the 1950-1964 part of the set, I was so happy to have found it, as the production of all grades was just 18 coins. Grabbed this 1956 at PR66RD to upgrade the the entire 50-64 set to gem.

I still hold 20th place on the PCGS registry for the 50-64 set without the benefit of CAM or DCAM. All 5 upgrades did not change my ranking.

A few posts upthread mentioned the scarcity of PR68 Franklins.
    I while ago , I found a guy on reddit who was showing off his stuff, including a 1956 rattler Franklin in PR68, so I had to contact him to see if he would sell. It turned out to be a flaming bag of clown shoes named @FadeToBlack who used to post here and I suspect is the guy uptread that is on my ignore list.

What a trustworthy collector/dealer! If I ran the HR department at a large numismatic firm, I would be sure to add him to my staff.

Anyway, $145 later and on ebay:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file