Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does getting a LIKE or AGREE here make you feel?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2017 10:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just recently saw a interview by one of the original Facebook creators who stated they did studies on this.

Stating people getting a LIKE on a web post had the same physiological mood elevating effect as eating chocolate.

So do you feel like you just ate chocolate or completely different when you get a LIKE here? :p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options

lkeigwin, Ha... I would LOL & Like your post if I could! :D

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly show up to look at copper and see if anyone "likes" any of my copper and I like reading a lot of the humor on the forum. But if I had to choose, I enjoy making people laugh so getting a LOL makes me feel good that I made someone laugh/smile.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like and Agree should be combined into one.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really?? It must be a social media thing.... and perhaps I am a bit old for it..... I do 'like', 'agree' and 'lol' posts here that engender that feeling when I read them.... often the 'like' click is on a post with an attractive coin picture. I really appreciate the funny posts.... a bit of humor mixed in with the numismatics brightens the forum. (Sure miss the Open Forum mainly for that reason) All that being said, I am one of the few that does not care for chocolate.... seems it is so prevalent and - to me - not really that tasty. I am more of a 'salty' treat guy... Extra salty pretzels for example (Unique makes a great one). So, I will continue to like or lol as the post merits....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@1Mike1 .....
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new world order. Rather than posting, "I like your coin because...." or "I agree with what you said because..." press a button(hopefully they will invent buttons that note why you like it or agree with it, but wait that will take two button presses). Write a letter(snail mail), must be crazy. The removal of all personality will soon become a reality. Thank God for my friends with whom I actually correspond.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@EXOJUNKIE said:

ExoJ, Thanks as that was too funny! :p

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could 100 percent care less

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

Well even if you post here & could care less your getting a LIKE! :)

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Does three "Disagrees" negate a "Like"?

Paul
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Really?? It must be a social media thing.... and perhaps I am a bit old for it..... I do 'like', 'agree' and 'lol' posts here that engender that feeling when I read them.... often the 'like' click is on a post with an attractive coin picture. I really appreciate the funny posts.... a bit of humor mixed in with the numismatics brightens the forum. (Sure miss the Open Forum mainly for that reason) All that being said, I am one of the few that does not care for chocolate.... seems it is so prevalent and - to me - not really that tasty. I am more of a 'salty' treat guy... Extra salty pretzels for example (Unique makes a great one). So, I will continue to like or lol as the post merits....Cheers, RickO

Where did the joke thread go!?

Paul
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

A like feels like validation; not quite like eating chocolate (gotta have a little every day), but very close!

• Options

@pmac.....If you are referring to the Open Forum, that was discontinued years ago for what was considered 'abuse'....There was a moderator that constantly was deleting posts and warning people about postings (some posted nudes and other questionable humor). Eventually it was discontinued... very sad, since it was interesting, funny and covered all topics - some fantastic discussions there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 9:14AM

@291fifth said:

Doh! Now you did it...you got a "Disagree" from @Martin ...prepare for the wrath!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @pmac.....If you are referring to the Open Forum, that was discontinued years ago for what was considered 'abuse'....There was a moderator that constantly was deleting posts and warning people about postings (some posted nudes and other questionable humor). Eventually it was discontinued... very sad, since it was interesting, funny and covered all topics - some fantastic discussions there.... Cheers, RickO

No. This one was discontinued within the past year.

Paul
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said: "Like and Agree should be combined into one."

Nuts to that! While I may "like" a post - say one you make; I may not agree with most everything in it. For example, take your post I quoted above. :)

Furthermore, most of us are social animals. We enjoy affirmation and praise along with some stroking. I'm usually not very social. >:) I find it depends on the setting. Nevertheless, I like my posts to be validated.

I also saw the study mentioned by the OP. It is based on human nature and true. Give a donkey a carrot and he'll follow you around waiting for another. Therefore, rather than combine the "Like" & "Agree" buttons I suggest our host add a button for "damn lie!" :wink:

• Options

I did not realize there was a joke thread..... Darn... sorry I missed it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :wink:

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me feel validated and happy. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please like and share.

• Options

Hey Frank

I wish I could give you more than one for your honesty! Now I'm going to check your page....LOL.

Best Regards,

Lucy G. <3<3<3

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really don't matter to me one way or the other.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

American chocolate or Belgian chocolate?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like the stars next to your name then you should also like the agree/like/LOL ratings, since as far as I can tell they are what get you the additional stars. I have somehow garnered four stars while others with far more posts have three stars.

So, if you want more stars (if they mean anything to you), then post lots of jokes and pictures of puppy dogs. Any maybe a picture of a nice coin now and then.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the never notice group.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a recent episode of "The Orville" where the crew lands on a planet where 10 million dislikes will get you a lobotomy. Super cool episode with a commentary on todays society.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they opened up a registry for Likes/Agrees/LOL's and so on, you can bet there would be lots of activity. Then we'd have to break those down to whether it was a solid Like, a weak one getting close to Disagree, or a Like+, which would be close to Love.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chocolate?

Nah. More like a box of Dots.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 11:42AM

Both Facebook and Hershey stocks are near all-time highs!

Let's click more for Collectors Universe! :)

• Options

@BryceM said: "American chocolate or Belgian chocolate?"

Easy, both and forget moderation.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 12:12PM

@Insider2 said:

Agrees

My sweetest response has been the oft mis-maligned (to my mind, one of our best and worst posters) @BillJones flagging me for "abuse" when I wasn't even teaching him 5th grade arithmetic.

I haven't checked to see by whom the other complaint was made. Which sums up my general attitude. :D

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@ColonelJessup said:

@Insider2 said:

Agrees

My sweetest response has been the oft mis-maligned (to my mind, one of our best and worst posters) @BillJones flagging me for "abuse" when I wasn't even teaching him 5th grade arithmetic.

I haven't checked to see by whom the other complaint was made. Which sums up my general attitude. :D

You abrasive ROOKIE. I cannot believe you have not been "flagged" or "disagreed" with much more than you have. Perhaps your erudite "smack-downs" go over their heads.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indifferent. I just try to express my opinions. Sometimes people like them and agree, sometimes they don't.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 1:17PM

I call them as I see them. Let the chips fall where they may. Like Rodney Dangerfield I get no respect.
    https://tinyurl.com/ybl8y2uu

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! When I get disagrees I get curious.!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Hey Frank

I wish I could give you more than one for your honesty! Now I'm going to check your page....LOL.

Best Regards,

Lucy G. <3<3<3

How about another?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:
    Hey Frank

Best Regards,

Lucy G. <3<3<3

How about another?

OK <3

and one more... <3

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is getting a little weird..... Maybe it's time for PCGS to open some private (chat) rooms.... ;)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    This is getting a little weird..... Maybe it's time for PCGS to open some private (chat) rooms.... ;)

We used to have that stuff but it was determined that having too much fun was annoying to someone. The minority squeaky wheel got the oil.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@JBK said: "This is getting a little weird..... Maybe it's time for PCGS to open some private (chat) rooms...."

<3

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "likes," and "agrees" help me to see how my questions, responses, and topics posted resonate with other collectors in this hobby. Forces me to evaluate what to post, how to share information, and also to gauge the overall quality of what I posted. Saves you, and myself time! I've learned much! Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file