Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you purchased Yourself a Christmas Present yet...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or are you holding out a little while longer?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got my eye on something on a Dealers website. Gold with a touch of green, if you know what I mean.

• Options

Justacommeman, That's one heck of a self gift.... Congrats! :)

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 9:01PM

I get an annual windfall in late November.

When it comes this year, I will buy a PCGS slabbed gold Standing Liberty Quarter and renew some coin magazine subscriptions and get a new pair of eyeglasses. The rest will go in a savings account. This windfall is kind of a holiday gift from my late Dad and I treat it like it was meant for a gift.

But I haven't received the funds just yet.

• Options

Justacommeman, I keep glancing at your gift and it makes the token I just made an offer on earlier seem like a mug or a tie :(;)

• Options

@Justacommeman

Of course, July 14, 1791 was the second anniversary of the storming of the Bastille, but it seems that that day was also the start of three days of rioting in and around Birmingham England. The rioters were the loyalists and the people they were rioting against were the "seditious" supporters of the French Revolution!

You have a very nice Christmas gift there!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Bill Bill

Well done sir

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Bathroom remodel

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting for the FUN show, which is the week after my birthday (Dec. 30).

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have it in my eBay watch list but I'll have to wait for the dealer to lower it from the ludicrous price. He thinks an $85 coin is worth several hundred more because of toning.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    I have it in my eBay watch list but I'll have to wait for the dealer to lower it from the ludicrous price. He thinks an $85 coin is worth several hundred more because of toning.

I think I have said it elsewhere, but eBay has lots of desirable coins that you simply have to forget about because the pricing is so absurd.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, not yet !!! :D:)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably. I found quite a bit at the Baltmore show and spent most of the end of year budget.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Christmas, Hanukkah (I get both), Birthday, Anniversary and Christmas again. I am currently on a numismatic diet.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I did today!! Thanks Santa Mark!!!! Didn't tell Mrs Claus just yet

Been on my list for 6 years and have never been presented the opportunity to buy let alone one in this condition. Not exactly a Christmas spirit motiff but fits into the macabre themed set nicely.

m

Fantatic token.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did...and then everyone on here trashed my little Bust Dime so I already hate the coin before it even arrived in the mail. :(

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet...working on taking a few bags of turnips to the blood bank.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman ....Mark.... that is an amazing token..... I have never seen that one before. Obviously I am not a token collector - however, I do like, and buy, unique items. That certainly qualifies - at least for my somewhat macabre tastes.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    Yep- 1960's-era Wittnauer mystery dial wristwatch:

No Mystery about it...it's 08:27...or 20:27. Cool time piece!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 8:34AM

Good luck! I've chased the Aurora Borealis and it truly is an out of this world spectacle to behold.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh... can't we wait until after Thanksgiving to start dealing with Christmas? ;) . My kids are already going nuts after noticing Home Depot has all their Christmas stuff up already.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

It better be, ha!

@Zoins said:

Good luck! I've chased the Aurora Borealis and it truly is an out of this world spectacle to behold.

We're looking forward to it for sure. I've seen the lights in Canada about 35 years ago but unfortunately they were just white and not the colors. I want the green ones!

There's this thing going on too at Harpa a few blocks from our hotel, going to check it out for at least 1 day.

https://nordurognidur.is/

Local museums around us too, which I always hit as an artist and wifey likes as a teacher for educational ideas for the students.

• Options

@mvs7 said:
    Ugh... can't we wait until after Thanksgiving to start dealing with Christmas? ;) . My kids are already going nuts after noticing Home Depot has all their Christmas stuff up already.

Some stores had Xmas decorations for sale this year well before Halloween.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Some stores had Xmas decorations for sale this year well before Halloween.

I know! What's up with that? I get making a buck, but that's ridiculous.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a traditionalist, I bought electronics for myself for Christmas. New camera.

Of course, that doesn't preclude me from buying camera test pieces in the form of round metallic objects, now does it? ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy Christmas gifts for me all year long. :*

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    I buy Christmas gifts for me all year long. :*

Yeah..... I guess I do too....

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 11:36AM

Not a coin, but I had a chance to attend the Cubs' first post season game at Home when I was in Chicago for my school's homecoming last month and got to be present as Anthony Rizzo was being interviewed by fellow Northwestern alum Mike Wilbon and then remotely by Scott VanPelt.

That same weekend Rizzo had signed a few baseballs commemorating his having had the most post season homeruns by any Cub. I will probably end up displaying my gift, one of the signed baseballs, along with one or more of these photos I took there at Wrigley Field.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

no not as of yet

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 12:13PM

I'll be having a giveaway and hope my nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews, children and grandchildren appreciate it. (There are about 165 of them running around, somewhere)

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, am spending too much money on the house and gifts for my wife.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    I started buying myself Christmas presents this January. Really in the spirit this year!

Me too. On the one hand, it's good to get the shopping done early. But on the other hand, now it's my turn to reciprocate!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stocking stuffer

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy myself gifts. I would rather donate to charities to help out people in need.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@mach1ne said:
    It's my birthday today, so this counts as a Christmas and birthday present. B)

The gift that keeps on giving..nice choice!

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 6:05PM

I receive packages in my mail box, or, for pick up at the post office probably at least once a week- so, pretty much a running holiday for me throughout the year. No need to buy anymore for myself on Christmas; however, my niece, nephew, and other family members may get a proof set for their gift as I'm perpetually broke! Well, not really; but, you get the drift...(snow) drift baby B)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am planning to bid 10% above melt on this one.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, picked up 2017 W gold.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file