Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

November pickups..

Upon arrival yesterday, these two beauties kicked off my November with a bang! The Feller is a stunner in hand!

Let's see them, folks!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that Feller! If I ever start a player collection from that era I think Feller will be the guy.

Great 82 Montana, I remember buying that card at a card shop, pretty sure it was my first Montana.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

I think 2nd year Montana's are CHEAP & worth picking them up at these prices

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

i added some great looking 8's of some Jordan 90's inserts

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Feller premium is killer!

I'm a big fan of food premiums.

Mike
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you'll love this! While not a new pickup, it did just arrive home today from crossover service at PSA:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 11:28AM

Nice stuff. Jordan is so photogenic. His cards look so good. And who doesn't love Mantle stuff? In fact, I just picked up a Mantle MVP Card, upgraded my Banks All star from 7 to 8, picked up a low grade Clemente with perfect centering, and also grabbed a cheap Reggie Jackson rookie. All these cards are currently in the mail somewhere, so they'll all be received in November.

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I bought this raw at Nationals from Steve Werley, Steve's Cards & More. He always has great, unusual items. I had never seen a complete box so I dropped it off at PSA and just got it back. :)

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2017 12:23PM

Killer Jackson RC - rarely see that kind of centering! Very nice.

Mike
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgibson said:
    I bought this raw at Nationals from Steve Werley, Steve's Cards & More. He always has great, unusual items. I had never seen a complete box so I dropped it off at PSA and just got it back. :)

Great Gibson! Complete boxes are so hard to find!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 7:54PM

Front too of center to get a PSA 8 ?

Not sure how scientific this is, I measured the centering, it comes out to 66.7/33.33 falls in the parameters of an PSA 8's 70/30 to 65/35.

• Options

I'm a fan of those complete boxes Kevin.

I like putting them together and displaying.

Tho they do look good in the holders.

Really nice pickups from the National.

Mike
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Picked this Halloween Eve...

Holy wow.....well done man

• Options

Very Nice Mantle

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice Wheaties Mantle. That doesn't get the attention it deserves.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 5:34PM

picked these up from a friend. they are large. about 11x17 and have 10 of them . dated 1974 at the bottom

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2017 8:46PM

Just got these back from PSA. (They were raw purchases in October)

Anyone think the Payton has a shot at a 10? I had a nice one before this, but this is one looks impressive to me.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 7:01AM

Wow that is a nice looking PSA 9 Payton. Corners look pretty strong. The bottom right corner is hard to tell if it has any light touching on it. Post a picture of the back. Awesome raw pickup for sure. Congrats.

As far as a shot at a PSA 10 I would make sure that the centering meets the criteria. I'm not sure how to calculate it. Do they compare the centering on the sides to either the top or bottom? The sides look near perfect compared to each other but compared to the top border I am not sure if it is in the parameters for a 10. I would guess it is close. I am sure someone knows how to properly calculate the centering.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2017 8:44PM

@JBrules said:
    Wow that is a nice looking PSA 9 Payton. Corners look pretty strong. The bottom right corner is hard to tell if it has any light touching on it. Post a picture of the back. Awesome raw pickup for sure. Congrats.

As far as a shot at a PSA 10 I would make sure that the centering meets the criteria. I'm not sure how to calculate it. Do they compare the centering on the sides to either the top or bottom? The sides look near perfect compared to each other but compared to the top border I am not sure if it is in the parameters for a 10. I would guess it is close. I am sure someone know how to properly calculate the centering.

Thanks man. I saw no fraying under 10x zoom whatsoever, but I will check out that corner to be sure again. I added the back scan to my original post. It is also very nice.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@JBrules said:

As far as a shot at a PSA 10 I would make sure that the centering meets the criteria. I'm not sure how to calculate it. Do they compare the centering on the sides to either the top or bottom? The sides look near perfect compared to each other but compared to the top border I am not sure if it is in the parameters for a 10. I would guess it is close. I am sure someone know how to properly calculate the centering.

Thanks man. I saw no fraying under 10x zoom whatsoever, but I will check out that corner to be sure again. I added the back scan to my original post. It is also very nice.

Beautiful Payton. I don't know how much you have into it, but I'd keep submitting it until you get that 10. If you don't mind me asking, was that an eBay pickup?

• Options
    edited November 5, 2017 7:04AM

@Arsenal83 said:

@secretstash said:

@JBrules said:

Beautiful Payton. I don't know how much you have into it, but I'd keep submitting it until you get that 10. If you don't mind me asking, was that an eBay pickup?

Thank you. It was originally from ebay. Was listed in a way that would turnoff most people with an astronomical buy it now. I made what I thought was a real strong offer for a raw Payton to secure it. Overall I was taking a pretty decent size risk by buying it for $400 because it was above the norm for PSA 8 for a raw card, but I was certain this card was really really nice after getting some additional pictures. I think I'll review this card at least once with PSA, I just don't know if sending right back in the same week it was received is extreme. lol

• Options

BOOM goes the dynamite! Thank the lord for installment plans.

• Options

Who doesn't remember that Gregg Jefferies card lol

Bunch of early November pickups all over the place. My favorite is the complete run from Series 2 to Series 15 of the Garbage Pail Kids packs. Already have the Series 1 Pack in PSA 9 from BBCE. These are all PSA 7, except for a single PSA 8. Tried to win the all PSA 8 lot and was outbid, but for about 1/3 of the price, this will work just fine.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    picked these up from a friend. they are large. about 11x17 and have 10 of them . dated 1974 at the bottom

Freaking awesome!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

@kgibson said:

Love this kind of stuff slabbed

Congrats!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 8:28PM

here some of the others i picked up .. the top 2 are early 1960's the bottom 3 are from 1974

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 6:34AM

Those Leafs 11x17's are very cool!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good showing of Hockey stuff. Love the Bourque RC, those vintage photos are so cool, and we even got treated to some Cup!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Just got these back from PSA. (They were raw purchases in October)

Anyone think the Payton has a shot at a 10? I had a nice one before this, but this is one looks impressive to me.

The Payton looks like a ten! I see nothing that is obviously keeping it out of a ten holder. I am guessing there are ten's that do not present as well.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

Payton is gorgeous. The big front scan is a little blurry, but the lower right edge looks to have chipping or an imperfection. Could just be the scan though. I marked in red.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

The surface bubble on the right border half way up the outside of the yellow edge by the right cheek stands out to me
    Incredible 9 though, the reverse centering is fantastic for this issue
    Nice work!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2017 5:07PM

Thanks guys. I sent the Payton back on a 2 day this afternoon. I just couldn't ignore it because I had a chance to hold this card up raw to the PSA 9 I received back before it. It was so much brighter. The white on this card was as incredible as it looked before in the holder, but I no longer have the other 9 to see the dramatic difference. Someone could probably put those images together to compare from my other thread if they use photoshop well? Anyway, let's see what happens. Will update here hopefully soon.

• Options

Yes, this BGS buyer has love for PSA as well

• Options

79 Postcard of Gretzky is awesome. Great pickup!

• Options
    edited November 7, 2017 8:12AM

I'm catching up here on CU, these are from last month. I obviously would've preferred a Ruth that, shall we say, weighed more, but there are only 21 total graded examples (11 PSA, 10 SGC) so I'm happy with this one.

ETA: Despite what the flip says, these cards aren't hand cut. Not sure how or why they were issued but they have nothing to do with W575-1 so their story is still just one big mystery.

• Options

Nice pickup ReggieCleveland. I hold the belief that a card from 1922 should look 95 years old. My oldest cards are from 1954 but I'm starting to wish I had some older stuff. I picked up this 1958 Willie Mays card the other day. Not a high grade but I like the eye appeal.

• Options

That's a beauty of a 3. What's the issue? It sure doesn't show up in the scan. Wrinkle? Paper loss?

Not much for condition rarity when it comes to stuff older than modern but the price was right. Pop 1 with two higher in PSA and none higher in SGC.

• Options

@TheMick said:
    Nice pickup ReggieCleveland. I hold the belief that a card from 1922 should look 95 years old. My oldest cards are from 1954 but I'm starting to wish I had some older stuff. I picked up this 1958 Willie Mays card the other day. Not a high grade but I like the eye appeal.

Very nice eye-appeal for 58 Mays. Color is very nice and the centering is hard to beat. Congrats.

ReggieCleveland, Never go wrong with Ruth and Cobb. Congrats.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love them so much you’re selling them already?

Kevin

@BGS_Buyer said:
    Yes, this BGS buyer has love for PSA as well

Kevin

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited November 9, 2017 7:52PM

Sorry to hog the page but I've had a busy November with my collection. When I was a kid, I had an autograph of Bart Starr that my dad got for me. He worked for Delta Airlines at O'hare and the autograph was personalized to me. That was in the late 60s or early 70s and of course, I eventually lost it. I have a nice 1968 Topps Starr card which is the year the Packers won Super Bowl II. I just picked up an autograph of the same card. The auto could be better but what I like is the condition of the card. Often, the autographs are done on crappy cards but this one is real nice. Take a look. It feels good to have Bart's auto again.

• Options

Great auto card! Congrats.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Additions to my mid grade 54 Topps set.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards' everyone!
    Love the 54 topps cards, Brick.
    Would like to hold the Mayo.

• Options

Thanks @OldSchoolImages

It's on the way to PSA - it will be the 8th they've slabbed. The image itself appears on a few other offerings; I think it was first used for the 1948 Indians team issue picture pack. 1952 Fleet Wing Gas Premium, too. Seems a lot of images from the time period get reused; not sure about how strictly copyright laws were back then so you see it a lot in the 1940s-1950s issues - from cards to charms to photo premiums...

• Options

This is a gem that arrived today and is instantly one of the finest pieces I have: 15th ever graded, highest ever graded, one of the all time great baseball players: