Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can somebody please grade and value these 1835 and 1836 quarter eagles?

CoinCollectorJRCoinCollectorJR Posts: 40
edited October 17, 2017 7:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Best Answers

• Options
    CoinCollectorJRCoinCollectorJR Posts: 40
    edited October 17, 2017 8:23PM Answer ✓

@Ronyahski said:
    The pictures are much better, but still hard to grade from, but here goes:

The 1835 looks MS. It is the weakest struck Classic Head quarter eagle in the series. You actually have a way above average strike for the date. I don't see any wear on it. The big long scratch in the lower left field could be a problem. Hard to tell from the pic if lustrous or dipped. MS 62 - 63.

The 1836 also looks MS. Looks more hairlined and scuffed. Again hard to tell if lustrous or not. MS 61 - 62.

Both are a common die pair, but that does not matter too much as to value.

Can you take a picture with a white background, and try to get whatever luster there is to show.

and yes, the scratch on the 1835 is a slight scratch, a little more than hairline, hoping it will not impact the grade...

Answers

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

You want for someone to offer a grade and value for these two coins?

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

Yes please

• Options

I can get better photos if you would like

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming they are authentic, I would say $1,500 each. They both look like they have UNC details. I think these would be good candidates for certification. Please post better pictures if you can

• Options

Ok, I will post better pictures ASAP

• Options

All pictures have been updated

• Options

@TomB said:
    Those images are significantly better. I had hesitated to post previously because of how poor the other images were. In my opinion, these look authentic and are high grade, but might have been cleaned a bit in the past. They are definitely worth sending in for certification.

would you have a price estimation? Wanting to know if I got a good deal

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retail: 1400-1500 on the 35
    1500-1600 on the 36

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

1835 looks unc and if not cleaned possibly ms62 (est $3500)
    1836 looks au55-au58 apx $1400-$1600

But with the lighting I could easily be way off on unc vs circ

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

@joebb21 said:
    1835 looks unc and if not cleaned possibly ms62 (est $3500)
    1836 looks au55-au58 apx $1400-$1600

But with the lighting I could easily be way off on unc vs circ

The lighting is probably weird, as I never take photos of coins and I took them on my iPhone7 camera...but thank you for feedback!!!

• Options

Thank you to everyone for the feedback you have provided! I will be sending these coins in for grading in the coming days, and will make a new thread when they come back!!!

• Options

@Ronyahski said:
    The pictures are much better, but still hard to grade from, but here goes:

The 1835 looks MS. It is the weakest struck Classic Head quarter eagle in the series. You actually have a way above average strike for the date. I don't see any wear on it. The big long scratch in the lower left field could be a problem. Hard to tell from the pic if lustrous or dipped. MS 62 - 63.

The 1836 also looks MS. Looks more hairlined and scuffed. Again hard to tell if lustrous or not. MS 61 - 62.

Both are a common die pair, but that does not matter too much as to value.

Can you take a picture with a white background, and try to get whatever luster there is to show.

Actually, the background is white...guess the strange lighting does make it seem brownish...

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Can you tell us any more? Where did you get them? What was your price?? Nice coins!

I saved them from being melted at a jewelry store

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCollectorJR said:

@jwitten said:
    Can you tell us any more? Where did you get them? What was your price?? Nice coins!

There must be some really dumb people at that jewelry store. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o Holy cow....assuming you then paid ~melt, you will likely score a "You Suck" award!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a nice save..... Congratulations, you did well.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

most of the high grade examples have satin finishes not the semi-mirrors that are showing on these two pieces.

Not so for these two dates, especially the 1835 QE. Most coins have vivid luster with some showing proof-like surfaces.

(The posts here are not listed in the order posted???)

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

@Ronyahski said:

@BillJones said:

most of the high grade examples have satin finishes not the semi-mirrors that are showing on these two pieces.

Not so for these two dates, especially the 1835 QE. Most coins have vivid luster with some showing proof-like surfaces.

1835 then 1836

• Options

@CoinCollectorJR said:

@Ronyahski said:

@BillJones said:

1835 then 1836

Just realized what you meant...never mind!

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stand by my original estimates (first provided without clear pictures)...$1,500 each.

• Options

Also, no I did not scam them and informed them of the true value of the coins...also, they are a jewelry shop...coins are not their focus...please no shade toward them

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! So what was the price paid.. melt?

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

If the coins were not messed with (cleaning/polishing), it would be between 58 and 62.
    Good find.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options

Coins are being sent into grading tomorrow! I am hoping to get them back in 15-20 days...I will make a new thread with pictures of the coins...also hoping to sell them ASAP if anyone is interested!

• Options

I paid $166 a piece...knowing these prices, I don’t want to leave the jewelry store out to dry...what should I do???

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are that dumb, that's on them.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    If they are that dumb, that's on them.

Well, the coin section is like a little part of a display case in the back of the shop...I mean, they deal in expensive watches (Rolex’s) etc.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey you scored, they most likely made a profit and bought them for under melt. So just enjoy the score and let us know when the grades pop. good luck.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

@BruceS said:
    Hey you scored, they most likely made a profit and bought them for under melt. So just enjoy the score and let us know when the grades pop. good luck.

Ok, I just don’t want to seem like a scumbag ;)

• Options

@BruceS said:

Ok, I just don’t want to seem like a scumbag ;)

• Options

Oops...bad wifi

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins like that don't just walk into a store without a serious collector at some point carefully buying them, storing them, probably sharing them with other collectors. The huge question here to me is who the heck dropped the ball on unloading them? A widow? Kids who inherited them? An original owner got ripped off or they were certified and got cracked out.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Coins like that don't just walk into a store without a serious collector at some point carefully buying them, storing them, probably sharing them with other collectors. The huge question here to me is who the heck dropped the ball on unloading them? A widow? Kids who inherited them? An original owner got ripped off or they were certified and got cracked out.

These coins came in with about $70,000 of other coins which included liberty double eagles and eagles that were sadly melted down.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 12:42PM

WHY, melt them. they should have sold them as is for much more money??

@CoinCollectorJR said:

@logger7 said:

These coins came in with about $70,000 of other coins which included liberty double eagles and eagles that were sadly melted down.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

@BruceS said:
    WHY, melt them. sell them as is for much more money??

@CoinCollectorJR said:

@logger7 said:

Maybe it was $7000...I think it was 7000

• Options

No it was 70.000

• Options

From another jewelry store I picked up a 1909-1940 penny album, only missing 09-s, 09-s vdb, 22 plain, and 31-s for $5...it had the everything else including the 14-d

• Options

From another jewelry store I picked up a 1909-1940 penny album, only missing 09-s, 09-s vdb, 22 plain, and 31-s

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

@BillJones said:

Unfortunately almost all of the 1835 quarter eagles I have seen over the past year have been cleaned. If that were not so, I would have had the date covered by now.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@CoinCollectorJR said:
    No it was 70.000

The whole thing sounds very fishy; either the seller dumped the lot because the jewelry shop offered cash or similarly favorable terms or the seller was scared away by another buyer who refused to do a deal without full record reporting requirements. A $70K sale of numismatic gold to a jewelry shop? Almost every few days we get reports of stolen items and gold coins are one of the thieves favorite mediums. It wouldn't hurt to notify your state's agency tasked with oversight of purchases like this. Also every state has a waiting period as far as I know so the cops can try to match up reports.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCollectorJR - you should tell them never to melt coins again and have them call you any time they get anything.
    I feel bad for the people that they ripped off because of the store’s own ignorance.

• Options

@logger7 said:

@CoinCollectorJR said:
    No it was 70.000

The whole thing sounds very fishy; either the seller dumped the lot because the jewelry shop offered cash or similarly favorable terms or the seller was scared away by another buyer who refused to do a deal without full record reporting requirements. A $70K sale of numismatic gold to a jewelry shop? Almost every few days we get reports of stolen items and gold coins are one of the thieves favorite mediums. It wouldn't hurt to notify your state's agency tasked with oversight of purchases like this. Also every state has a waiting period as far as I know so the cops can try to match up reports.

Yeah, I think I might be wrong

• Options

@david3142 said:
    @CoinCollectorJR - you should tell them never to melt coins again and have them call you any time they get anything.
    I feel bad for the people that they ripped off because of the store’s own ignorance.

Actually, I’m trying to start working there, in hopes of things like this never happening again...I know the people well enough for them to trust me, so I am going to try my best for these things to stop

• Options

@CoinCollectorJR said:

@david3142 said:

Actually, I’m trying to start working there, in hopes of things like this never happening again...I know the people well enough for them to trust me, so I am going to try my best for these things to stop

What state is this place? I don't know any pawn or jewelry shop that would not try to maximize profits especially on a $70K transaction. And what is this thing about them melting the $20 gold coins down? Isn't that just based on their sending them out to a refiner? Don't you have waiting periods in your area where the authorities review pawn shop, etc. purchases?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file