Home U.S. Coin Forum

New holder - completely rethinking the design.

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard about this TPG? The holder caught my eye on IG - pretty neat design.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 11:02AM

NADA......couldn't find the puke symbol.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

if anything it looks pretty neat.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree. The prongs do not cover the coin...obviously, they are parallel to the edge. :wink:

Getting closer to my prediction. Eventually, coins will be put into a plastic holder (similar to a Cointain or Mint product) with the info on the edge. Additionally, a coin folder will be produced that the capsule will fit in, just like the old time Whitman product. By that time, I'll predict there will only be three major TPGS and I'll be dead. :( LOL!

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, a lot more focused on the coin so the TPGs opinion wouldn't sway yours until you wanted to see it.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different but I'd have to see it in hand before judging. Kinda cool B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

And for the CAC fanboys they could place the sticker on the top, so when going through boxes they wouldn't have to pull them all to see. ;)

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

And look - plenty of room for stickers!

• Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I like it as well.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it totally airtight design?

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would make for cool drink coasters.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. You could have them lined up in a box and see the top of the label to know which one you are looking for, and then pull it out and look just at the coin. It does look like the prongs do a 90, so probably not too intrusive (and they are clear), and if it's any kind of airtight then it's a big win.

I wonder if they are only slabbing French coins so far, and I wonder how their grading is. Wish there'd be some kind of move towards this by the US TPG, but I doubt a US company would lose the opportunity for advertising on the front. UNLESS they would consider the novel slab enough for brand recognition....

• Perfect design. I like it

Antiques, clocks, books, collectibles
    zjantiques.com

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is just plain GROSS> @Outhaul said:

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, but I don't think I'm crazy about it. The info on the front label is important to see in a case, as it is the best way to see the vital stats about the coin. A dealer with a case of these would gave to put date/mint stickers on the front.

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

I see it’s a PR66, so I assume they use the 70 point scale.
    The more companies, especially international, that use the 70 point scale, the tougher it would to be to constitute a change to a 100 point scale?

@Insider2 said:
    Disagree. The prongs do not cover the coin...obviously, they are parallel to the edge. :wink:

Getting closer to my prediction. Eventually, coins will be put into a plastic holder (similar to a Cointain or Mint product) with the info on the edge. Additionally, a coin folder will be produced that the capsule will fit in, just like the old time Whitman product. By that time, I'll predict there will only be three major TPGS and I'll be dead. :( LOL!

QDB made that same prediction about 25 years ago, except for the part about you being dead.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Insider2 said:

QDB made that same prediction about 25 years ago, except for the part about you being dead.

I did too. All ON MY OWN ...even though I wasn't first apparently,
    But I should still get credit for it.

As to the OP, when coins are gone as a hobby, those holders will be good for coasters when we get down to our new hobby, drinking. B)

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 6:48PM

from facebook

from facebook

from instagram

Edge visibility looks quite good.
    Holder appears thicker than PCGS.
    Looks stackable, but I haven't seen the reverse.
    Photos above suggest at least 2 generations of edge labelling already.
    Website says they use the "Scheldon" scale. :-)
    Population says 418 Modern France coins graded, 1 US coin graded. (I did not check all categories).

• zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I like it. Like my German friends say, "every coin has three sides". This holder gives us a nice view of the "3rd" side.

Actually, to take this thread way off the rails (although staying in the spirit of the thread title), here's a way a coin-sized microslab could work. Ignore costs of technology and materials for the moment, and just indulge me.

Coin is slabbed with a holder the thickness of an airtite. The airtite can then be inserted into a larger holder capable of reading the info either encoded into the micro-slab label or embedded into some flash memory in the airtite, and displaying it on a display of the larger holder. The holder would be able to authenticate the airtite through this mechanism using public-key authentication. The airtite could be removed and put into other holders. Deluxe versions that could show both text and graphic information stored on the flash. They could also be internet-aware so that pops and valuation could be shown. Standard ones will just show the vitals. Even plastic flips or 2x2s could be used, to allow for less expensive and more compact storage. Albums would only have to be slightly larger than current Danscos to accommodate the airtites. They could have the same technology embedded into them as other holders, such that they could also authenticate and display info on part of the album page or transmit it to another device. They could also be technology-free and just affordable.

Again, ignore the costs, as they could really get out of hand doing all that.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the concept quite a bit! I actually posted something along this line a while back but I suggested a round capsule. This one is better.

@messydesk said:

@Insider2 said:

LOL, I wish I could out live all of you. :p

I actually spoke with Mr. Bowers (Dave) decades ago along with at least three owners of grading companies through the intervening years (not Mr. Hall) and influential people associated with Whitman. Back then, today's commonly seen modern technologies that would make this holder counterfeit proof and successful did not exist! As I recall, even holograms were not commercially available until the 1970's!

Anyway, they are marking the "table" of diamonds now. Great Idea. So is DNA for sports collectables.

Here is one you never heard of that was considered at ANACS in the 1970's...oh never mind, perhaps Mr. Bowers suggested that too. :)

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely want one but just for a novelty.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't find an English translation for the website.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor can I. I emailed them for info in English. I hope they can do that.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sacre bleu, c'est magnifique!

edited October 17, 2017 6:49PM

@ms70 said:
    I can't find an English translation for the website.

If you use the Google Chrome browser, you can right-click on a page and select "Translate to English".

English translation of the main page is:

---

Rechercher un produit, ...
    Basket
    your basket is empty
    Home
    Submit
    Population
    products
    Hello and welcome !

G radations and E xpertises N umismatiques I nternational
    More for your currency

Currency Sheet
    Access to the submission of currencies is open.
    Access to our products shop is currently closed

Copyright © 2017 SARL GENI. SIRET: 794327270. All rights reserved. - Site realized by Jelubo.com with Webdev of PC SOFT.
    Presentation
    Services
    Contact
    legal information
    Administration

---
    Chrome translation of slab info from their facebook page:
    ---

- Your currency is authenticated by professional numismatists to guarantee its authenticity. - Grades are assigned from the international scale of Scheldon (grade 1 to 70). - High-definition shooting that allows specific recognition of your currency. The money is set in a totally transparent protective case of acrylic which highlights it and protects it. It is held in a specific holder that keeps it perfectly but leaves the possibility of seeing almost the entire slice and the listel.

The label is highly secure since, in addition to the GENI hologram logo, we have integrated a QRcode which allows the GENI Smartphone application to display the complete currency card.
    In addition, the label includes a microtext area and a microcode.

---

I didn't find more photos of the slabs on their website.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these a lot, but I really want to see a head-on view of the slab instead of the angled ones. I HATE tabs- they cover the rim of the coin and make circular cropping look terrible in photos. I'm really interested in whether the tabs in these photos do the same thing.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prongs looks to be offset, rather cool approach to doing that.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design, but not as much as the SEGS slab.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

I think Compugrade had the best slab.

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't be allowed on ebay with the grade, etc.

not for me.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless a very hard plastic scratches will destroy the view of the coin.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I think Compugrade had the best slab.

Yeah ... they made a great slab.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    unless a very hard plastic scratches will destroy the view of the coin.

Isn't that how it is for EVERY holder?

If I remember, they were the first to put the description on the top edge, PCI had some done that way as an experiment. Segs may have gotten a patent forcing ANACS to make the ice scraper shape to see the info. Someone here will know. I'll dig out my PCI slab and photo it in a week or two.

edited October 17, 2017 8:59PM

I'll quote Conder101's post to a 2002 thread:
    ---
    Here is some background on the companies. The PCI info is not quite complete, I couldn't get the latest file version opened.

PCI (Photo-Certified Coin Institute) Based In Chattanooga TN, this slabbing service was dealer owned by Chattanooga Coin Co. In Sept 2001 PCI was been sold to Leslie Shade. In March 2002 PCI was sold again, this time to Brian Beardsley, a dealer from Orlando FL. While it actually seemed to have a reputation for consistent grading, it was never really been taken seriously by a majority of the numismatic community. Possibly because it also had a reputation for slightly overgrading as well. It has probably survived for two reasons. First it was one of, if not the first, company to slab "problem" coins. At that time the big three companies would not slab "problem" coins. ANACS would at least authenticate the coin and send it home with either a certificate or at least a written opinion, PCGS and NGC would not even look at them and just shipped them back. Keeping all the slabbing fees of course. Second, PCI slabbing was inexpensive. At the time the big three were charging $23 to $25 to slab a coin. In quantity, or by jumping through a few hoops, or by not caring if it took them till the next millennium to get it back to you, you might be able to get the cost down to $15. PCI charged $8 and slabbed everything that was genuine. Unfortunately since the latest sale the quality of the grading has apparently plummeted. Concensus in the marketplace seems to be that PCI is now ranking lower than ACG, a drop of from three to five places depending on who you are talking to. When HALLMARK went out of business PCI bought up their inventory and started using their slab style. There are fourteen types of PCI slabs.

SEGS (Sovereign Entities Grading Service) Yet another service begun by some of the "most respected names in numismatics". Although they started back in 1998, they seem to have had some startup problems. SEGS slabs didn't start showing up on the market until early 1999 and the number seen stayed fairly low until late in the year. While there have been some complaints of overgrading, SEGS remains something of an enigma on the market. In order to try and prevent charges of favoritism, all coins submitted to SEGS are actually submitted to a third party who takes the coins out of the submission holders and places them in serial numbered flips before they are sent to the graders so that theoretically no one knows who submitted the coins. One feature of SEGS slabs is that the label and identification is visible on the top edge of the slab. This allows you to identify what is in each slab without having to pull it out of the box and look at it. A feature first used seven years earlier by Compugrade. In late 2001 SEGS relocated in Chattanooga TN. Five types of slab. SEGS claims four different colors of labels are used light brown for copper coins, blue for other base metal coins, lavander for silver coins and gold for gold coins. So far I have only been able to discern two colors. But this is probably due to a failing on the part of my vision. The fifth variety is a special one used for varieties.
    ---
    from
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/131526/segs-and-pci

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what the technique will be for "cracking out".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very interesting slabs. I do not know what that 'gold' coin is ... however, I want one... Any information on that one? Cheers, RickO

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Wonder what the technique will be for "cracking out".

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

AFAIK, Larry Briggs started SEGS (date?) after he tried to either buy a part of or buy the entire PCI (green label period) company sometime in the mid 1990's.

Glad to see someone has assembled a history of the grading companies while some of the principals are still alive. I enjoy Tom's insights into the workings of ANACS when it moved to CO. If I remember Ken Bressett was one of the directors also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file