Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New holder - completely rethinking the design.

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017 7:50AM

Wonder if it will fit...............

From the GENI Website........

Bonjour à tous passionnés de numismatique !
    Si vous souhaitez faire grader et protéger vos plus beaux exemplaires ou si vous avez un doute sur leur authenticité, n'hésitez pas à faire appel à notre service ??

GENI vous propose un service unique :
    AUTHENTIFICATIONS / GRADATIONS / PHOTOS HD.

• Votre monnaie est authentifiée par des experts numismates afin de garantir son authenticité.
    • Les notes sont attribuées à partir de l'échelle de Scheldon, grade de 1 à 70.
    • Prise de photos en haute définition qui permet la reconnaissance spécifique de votre monnaie.

La monnaie est sertie dans un écrin de protection transparent qui la met en valeur.

(Loose)TRANSLATION:

Hello to all lovers of numismatics!
    If you want to make grader and protect your best copies or if you have a doubt about their authenticity, do not hesitate to call our service ??

GENI offers you a unique service:
    AUTHENTICATIONS / GRADATIONS / HD PHOTOS.

• Your coin is authenticated by numismatic experts to guarantee its authenticity.
    • The marks are awarded from the Scheldon scale, grade from 1 to 70.
    • Taking photos in high definition that allows the specific recognition of your currency.

The coin is set in a transparent protective case that enhances it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want one. :)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'd double as great beverage coasters.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't like it.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found these on their facebook comment page from customers:

Plus one with a view how they'd look in a case:

Looks like a traditional tray with the slabs, plus an added label.

Gives good perspective on size of the holders, and how the coin looks inside.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of want one. I wonder what they cost to submit a coin... my understanding of the language and cost sheet is a little lacking...

Kind of sad that the only US coin is a proof 91-S Kennedy...

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RegistryCoin said:
    I see it’s a PR66, so I assume they use the 70 point scale.
    The more companies, especially international, that use the 70 point scale, the tougher it would to be to constitute a change to a 100 point scale?

That's good.....but I hate the holder.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

When SEGS started in '98 they had a prototype slab that was absolutely massive-noticeably thicker than the one eventually produced and therefore impractical (it was very heavy.) I visited Larry at a show in Cincinnati where he showed it to me. Back in the early days I thought he was right on the money with his grading. Later I even had a few coins UPGRADE after they were cracked out and submitted to PCGS-one was a 1934 Doubled Die Obverse 25c that went from a 64 to a 66, resulting in a huge increase in value. I only had one or two go down in grade and those only went down a single point. He still has the best slab in the business.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

After recently trying to put some "slab protector" sleeves over some PCGS slabs, I've come to hate the stacking tabs on them.
    So I like to see alternate slab designs.

These octagon holders are interesting. They look somewhat thick. I generally prefer thinner holders, however, for compact storage.

Overall, when it comes to the overall slab shape and layout, I still prefer the current ANACS.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look dumb.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look but in a dealers case, I like to see the grade w/o having to ask about every one.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 8:09PM

@Lakesammman said:
    I like the look but in a dealers case, I like to see the grade w/o having to ask about every one.

What if they were all sample slabs? :p

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 8:36PM

@Lakesammman said:

I agree.
    Apparently the tray and separate labels solves this, although I can imagine the labels getting mixed up.

It seems like there is lots of space available above and below the coin on the front of the slab where a second label could go.

This could probably be done with a sticker or two, given that the edge label provides fairly tamper-proof reliability.
    Could be nicer if there was a more durable label that is easier to remove without leaving residue behind - this could be useful on conventional slabs as well. Maybe something like a stamp mount. (Probably people already use something like this). Rubber cement might work if it's not too reactive.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must say, they really thought out how to display the edge.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2017 9:14PM

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the Ebay listings, I will say that the prongs interfere with photographing of the smaller diameter coins much more than larger diameter coins. It is an interesting one size fits all approach though.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 10:45PM

I think the holder is neat but, looking at it in the dealer case, I wonder if the gaskets will be distracting.

For the straight on view, I like the gaskets on the old rattler holders and the new ANACS holders.

For edge view holders, I think the Yuan-Tai holders are neat, but it would be even better with translucent coin holders (vs. white).

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Need to see it in person, but it looks good to me, simply because you really see more of the coin which is the whole point. Of course it's new, so the more crotchety among us won't like it because of that, nothing new there, haha

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmm...

do they have a sample slab?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2020 5:15AM

Old Thread Bump

Here are some photos from GENI's Picuki page. The slabs look nice when presented together.

https://www.picuki.com/profile/geni.expert

• Options

Ugliest slab ever!

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like it hasn't taken off to any great extent. I found a two year old thread about it on CoinTalk, it even has a posting by the GENI founder:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/new-french-coin-slabs.297491/

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector, my preference would be a holder that 95% features the coin, 5% information. But secure. My guess is that the current slabs are designed by professional dealers, for professional dealers. That's okay, I get it, but surely some imagination from outside the ranks could come up with something that features the coin more prominently but is easy to "read", The 1913 nickel slab discussed elsewhere on this forum is an example of the coin getting lost in the holder, sacrificed to its "story". That of course is the prerogative of the owner and his preference and none of my business. My preference as a collector of less stellar coins is to have the focus more on the object inside the holder.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has there ever been a clear glass holder? You'd think that before plastics someone used glass. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

apparently time hasn't been kind to this new mousetrap. what sense does it make to put the information around the holder where it can't be seen while looking at the contents(especially in a dealer case)?? sellers would have to make additional tags or else be constantly answering questions. what a waste of time.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2020 12:39PM

In my humble opinion, the most current PCGS slab is the nicest to date of any company at any time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file