Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll - How do you purchase your coins?

10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2017 2:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Based on another thread topic discussing who is buying at auctions - collectors vs. investors/dealers buying.
I thought i would do a public poll on how you purchase the majority of your coins at this time.
I know some have been collecting for decades, but the poll is for what you are doing currently.

Poll - How do you purchase your coins?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 28, 2017 4:35PM
    I buy most of my coins at auction - online with no/rep

I'm in an area of the country without a lot of major shows nearby and with slabs, stickers and photos I fly solo on most of my purchases.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy most of my coins directly from a dealer online or in person

You are brave.
    Too many coins look different in hand than they do in an auction photo.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@Yorkshireman said:
    You are brave.
    Too many coins look different in hand than they do in an auction photo.

I mainly purchase PL and DMPL Morgans and have gotten pretty good at figuring out what the coin will look like in hand from the various auction sites based on their photos.

Ebay can be a little more of crap shoot, but haven't really been buying much from there. Most of the PL and DMPL Morgans listed on Ebay now are just re-cycled crap, a lot of it purchased from other auctions and then relisted at a fixed price.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

Well over 90% on Ebay and the rest from a Dealer in the Portland, OR area.

Ken

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

I try to hide from coins. They find me.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 3:44PM

About 90% eBay and about 10% from leads found through the Collectors.com "Shop" links via the PCGS Registry.

Most of the tougher coins came from the latter.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far 100% on eBay. "Not good" for me.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought most of what now make up my "core" collectible holdings at auction, about 60% online, 40% in person. Most years ago before TPGs existed

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

Other: I buy my coins from my neighbors with ads in my local (very small) community monthly magazine. I sure don't get to pick and choose what I want but it affords me the opportunity to sell or trade the coins I get for those I need.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably breaks down like this: Great Collections 50%, eBay 10%, at shows/from other dealers/wholesale 40%

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastic - mostly eBay.

Real coins - dealers, auctions but sight seen.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I much prefer buying coins from dealers instead of auctions. At one time auctions eliminated the middle man and allowed collectors to buy nice coins for less money. It seems like those days have passed. It seems like every time I bid on something in an auction, the bids go nuts, despite the current "down market" which I have yet to enjoy.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy most of my coins from other collectors or BST

BST, other collectors and a few from antique shops in the area... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

With money.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did most of my buying from ebay and a handful of early coin dealers, 1995-2005. Now very hard to find anything i like at the price it costs

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 7:14PM

Mostly ebay, some GC.

Some from my table at shows or pickoffs off the bourse.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly from other people :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is the Tooth fairy not on the list?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly in person. Online from dealers I know in person and can take quality coin photos.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy most of my coins from other collectors or BST

I think I hit the wrong button.

I try to buy as much as I can from the two or three B&M shops in the area. Regional shows come 2nd. I am not at the auction-only level of collecting, just grabbing what looks nice.

GC, BST, and eBay are sprinkled in-between the above.

In my experience, It seems like the guys behind the counter/table are often collectors, just like the rest of us. With eBay, wfk?

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 9:27PM
    Other

A lot depends on circumstances. Sometimes from auctions after a lot consult from a rep I trust.
    Sometimes at a show after showing the coin to someone I trust who knows more than I do.
    Occasionally one of the few people from whom I will accept a coin on approval will inform me about a coin they know I am looking for. This doesn't happen much, but when it does, I'm a very happy camper.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm close to Rosemont/Schaumburg Illinois so most of my coins have come from the Central States show in April,
    some have also come from DLRC, Ebay and a few local shows (when I can find the good ones).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file