Home Precious Metals

OT After the equifax data breach you might want to freeze your credit whatis

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2017 6:38PM

Here are direct links to the three credit reporting agencies where you can freeze your credit report and hopefully prevent anyone from opening an account/purchasing with your name. You might also want to have your spouse do the same. You will be given a PIN at completion that will be needed to unlock the freeze at a later date, save it. Freezing your account prevents it from being shared with anyone and hopefully prevents new accounts from being opened in your name. If you need an employer or new creditor to have access to it just unfreeze it later, but remember to freeze it again.

Direct link to Equifax credit freeze request This one stays pretty busy, keep trying.

Direct link to TransUnion credit freeze request TransUnion requires you to create an account to proceed. Don't worry, they and god knows who else, already have your SSN. Told me I already have an account (I don't). Just more hoops to keep you from freezing. Once frozen they can no longer sell your info to all those banks that mail you new "offers."

Direct link to Experian credit freeze request This one required a $10 fee in the state of Florida.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

$10 each in MI as well.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the transunion site though by creating the account you agree they are not now and never will be liable for any damages until the death of the universe. Also they don't guarantee any fitness of thier product for anything. It also seems as though you enter a business relationship with them by creating the account , up until now you were not their customer, I don't like the language there

edited September 16, 2017 6:41PM

I don't like their ability to share information without my consent, we should have better protection when it comes to these vultures. My Doctor and my Lawyer both provide confidentiality, they are not in the business of selling my personal information.

• CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Well, that figures. Equifax couldn't let me do it on line at the present time. Damn outfit!!!!
    As soon as the story broke, I tried their link to see if I was affected. I did get a response back stating probably not but I could sign up for their "Trustedid" monitoring system. Problem was they asked for a pass word. I don't have one so I clicked the link to reset my pass word and it wouldn't recognize my email address. Grrrr I hate them.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2017 7:07AM

thanks for the reminders

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    If you look at the transunion site though by creating the account you agree they are not now and never will be liable for any damages until the death of the universe. Also they don't guarantee any fitness of thier product for anything. It also seems as though you enter a business relationship with them by creating the account , up until now you were not their customer, I don't like the language there

it's a testament to the reality of computer security

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to ask this. How do we know if the above links are to the actual agencies and just not a phishing scheme? I've been to each of these links and I've actually been afraid to proceed.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited September 17, 2017 9:13AM

@Justacommeman said:
    I have to ask this. How do we know if the above links are to the actual agencies and just not a phishing scheme? I've been to each of these links and I've actually been afraid to proceed.

mark

because I found the links going through each of their home pages. They make it difficult to find the linked pages and to initiate a "freeze" because a freeze on your credit report prevents them from selling your info to the marketers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may be a real disaster... and all the information sharing that is done, makes it even worse. Cheers, RickO

@derryb said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

because I found the links going through each of their home pages. They make it difficult to find the linked pages and to initiate a "freeze" because a freeze on your credit report prevents them from selling your info to the marketers.

Did you have any problems with setting up the Transunion account before you can freeze it? It won't recognize any passwords or birth date. It says to use one before 1850. I'm clearly entering correctly

Thanks M

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

They are making it difficult as possible to freeze. try "forgot login info." TransUnion is requiring my wife to call them.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:
    $10 each in MI as well.

2 free and 1 $10 [Experian] in IA. TransUnion offers a free "lock" service instead of a freeze.

@derryb said:
    I don't like their ability to share information without my consent, we should have better protection when it comes to these vultures. My Doctor and my Lawyer both provide confidentiality, they are not in the business of selling my personal information.

Start a class action suit.

@Coulport said:
    Well, that figures. Equifax couldn't let me do it on line at the present time. Damn outfit!!!!
    As soon as the story broke, I tried their link to see if I was affected. I did get a response back stating probably not but I could sign up for their "Trustedid" monitoring system. Problem was they asked for a pass word. I don't have one so I clicked the link to reset my pass word and it wouldn't recognize my email address. Grrrr I hate them.

A few years ago, when I got my free credit report [sans score] I had to set up a name and password to download and print/save a copy. Not sure what that works for now, but you can't freeze anything using it.

@Justacommeman said:

@derryb said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Did you have any problems with setting up the Transunion account before you can freeze it? It won't recognize any passwords or birth date. It says to use one before 1850. I'm clearly entering correctly

Thanks M

No. I'd suggest using the lock service. It's free.

edited September 17, 2017 10:06AM

It's also been advised to delete or change any CC numbers where the info is stored such as Ebay, PayPal, etc. Most likely you will need to close out your current credit card accounts and have them reopened with new numbers. No biggie unless you have accounts that are auto paid which could be a PITA if you can't do it online.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

I believe the option "not to share" has been available for years. Several years ago, when I received by credit report, if I remember correctly, that was an option that I took. But that does not prevent anyone from being able to perpetrate identity fraud based on your credit reports. It just limits who the credit bureaus can sell your info to.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern technology is great :smile:

People believe that they can use "computers" :smile:

My Masters Thesis presentation was a 'computer' program'.............before computers had MICE, KEYBOARDS, and MONITORS.

99.999% of people have no idea what a computer is.............or what they are sharing on-line :smile:

Just My Opinion......right or wrong.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@OPA said:

@derryb said:

I believe the option "not to share" has been available for years. Several years ago, when I received by credit report, if I remember correctly, that was an option that I took. But that does not prevent anyone from being able to perpetrate identity fraud based on your credit reports. It just limits who the credit bureaus can sell your info to.

In looking at a saved copy of my TransUnion report, I don't see an option not to share my information.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should you actually trust anything that is financially related that you see on the internet?

All glory is fleeting.

The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do...From the FTC website

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-data-breach-what-do

@OPA said:
    The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do...From the FTC website

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-data-breach-what-do

I don't agree with this part from that link

Find out if your information was exposed. Click on the “Potential Impact” tab and enter your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.

Equifax is asking for 6 digits now? The first 3 can be guessed so if they lose track of the last 6 then you are screwed . The company has already proven they can't be trusted with anything. On top of that there have been reports of people doing that and getting a positive then doing it again and getting a negative response.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@OPA said:

@derryb said:

In looking at a saved copy of my TransUnion report, I don't see an option not to share my information.

You aree correct...I was confused with:

"You may limit "prescreened" offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report."

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I used the links days ago (yes, those are the correct links) and froze my credit report on all 3. Based on what state you reside there may be a fee to do this up to $10/agency. NJ is free to freeze and $5/agency to unfreeze. That is a fraction of the cost of a credit monitoring and a fraction of a fraction of your potential liability should you have identity theft.

If you get a phone or car loan, ask them what agency they use and just temporarily unfreeze that one. You will no longer get credit card solicitations in the mail (less junk mail) as they can't check your credit before sending you the junk mail.

There is a 4th smaller agency called Innovis. I also froze that one.
    https://innovis.com/securityFreeze/index
    They will send you a notice in the mail that the freeze took effect and a PIN.

The other 3 will give you a PIN that you must keep track of in the event you want to unfreeze.

So going forward, my credit is frozen and I will unfreeze when needed and immediately refreeze.

If everyone froze their credit reports I wonder if it would put these vultures out of business. Before these "agencies" appeared on the seen creditors had to rightfully do their own diligence before granting credit. Nothing could be better than to return to the days of responsible lenders and borrowers.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I froze my credit a couple years back when Anthem Health had a breach and when the automated code came over the phone it was so fast and so many digits I couldn't write it down correctly.

Now I can't figure out how to unfreeze it? :s

GrandAm :)

@derryb said:
    If everyone froze their credit reports I wonder if it would put these vultures out of business. Before these "agencies" appeared on the seen creditors had to rightfully do their own diligence before granting credit. Nothing could be better than to return to the days of responsible lenders and borrowers.

In the 60's & 70's, I was involved with credit bureaus in my line of work. Some form of credit bureau has been around since the mid or early 60's. Equifax used to be called: cbi, Experian: TRW ... Transunion was the new kid on the block and has not changed their name. In the 60's most cb's were only localized with their data base.

@GRANDAM said:
    I froze my credit a couple years back when Anthem Health had a breach and when the automated code came over the phone it was so fast and so many digits I couldn't write it down correctly.

Try asking for a new code/PIN.

How do you get to an operator?

@BAJJERFAN said:

@GRANDAM said:

Try asking for a new code/PIN.

the whole point of the PIN is if someone has all your info from a breach, they can't unlock your file so as they can open a fraudulent account. If the agencies just give out a new pin then there is no point in a freeze when your data is stolen.

I understand that, but they will probably ask enough questions so that they can be certain that it is YOU calling.

rather than a pin, they should have you give a cell phone number and then unlock with a 2 factor authentication via your cell phone.

So i read the head of security from Equifax who just "retired" was a Music major in college. Not qualified.

edited September 17, 2017 6:57PM

@GRANDAM said:

Likely in the same way that you get to a real person when you call your CC company and get one of those PITA automated menus. Any time during the message you speak plainly, firmly and sufficiently loudly the words operator, or representative or agent. If they can't reset or reissue the PIN they can advise you on how to proceed.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone's terms of service has me by the gonads.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@GRANDAM said:

Likely in the same way that you get to a real person when you call your CC company and get one of those PITA automated menus. Any time during the message you speak plainly, firmly and sufficiently loudly the words operator, or representative or agent. If they can't reset or reissue the PIN they can advise you on how to proceed

Tired that a couple of times but get frustrated with the waiting and hang up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

@GRANDAM said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@GRANDAM said:

Likely in the same way that you get to a real person when you call your CC company and get one of those PITA automated menus. Any time during the message you speak plainly, firmly and sufficiently loudly the words operator, or representative or agent. If they can't reset or reissue the PIN they can advise you on how to proceed

Tired that a couple of times but get frustrated with the waiting and hang up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Call late at night when call volume is lighter.

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I’m late to this party, so thanks for providing the links. I had to search for a new Equifax link; the one provided above seems to have gone stale. I live in Maryland and here is how it worked out for me:

TransUnion: Required me to create a login. Actually, I was able to recover a login I had over 10 years ago when I lived in another state. They charged me $5 for the credit freeze. I was able to select my own PIN. I didn’t see any option for a free credit “lock” as someone else had suggested.

Equifax: I found the link with my own searching, wasn’t hard. No login was required and the credit freeze was free. They chose the PIN for me and it was 10 digits.

Experian: Link worked, otherwise my experience was similar to that of Equifax. No charge and no login required. They did allow me to choose my own PIN, but when I entered 6 out of 10 allowable digits, it just front-filled the first 4 digits with zeros.

Innovis was the quickest, no login required and no charge. However, it says confirmation – presumbably including a PIN – will be sent via U.S. Mail.

@WhiteTornado said:
    I’m late to this party, so thanks for providing the links. I had to search for a new Equifax link; the one provided above seems to have gone stale. I live in Maryland and here is how it worked out for me:

TransUnion: Required me to create a login. Actually, I was able to recover a login I had over 10 years ago when I lived in another state. They charged me $5 for the credit freeze. I was able to select my own PIN. I didn’t see any option for a free credit “lock” as someone else had suggested.

Equifax: I found the link with my own searching, wasn’t hard. No login was required and the credit freeze was free. They chose the PIN for me and it was 10 digits.

Experian: Link worked, otherwise my experience was similar to that of Equifax. No charge and no login required. They did allow me to choose my own PIN, but when I entered 6 out of 10 allowable digits, it just front-filled the first 4 digits with zeros.

Innovis was the quickest, no login required and no charge. However, it says confirmation – presumbably including a PIN – will be sent via U.S. Mail.

See Step 5 called lock your credit file by enrolling in TrueIdentity.

https://transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze

Experian whacked me $10, otherwise everything else was free. I'll think long and hard before I pay another $10 to thaw it out.

This company is going down , its over for them . Unfortunately that means everything they have will be out on the internet . If they can't maintain computer security as an operating company , I don't see them doing it in bankruptcy.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-21/equifax-accidentally-directs-200000-customers-fake-phishing-website

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying one of my neighbors is in IT at EQ, but over a beer the other day one of my neighbors said 'go with the lifelock and not our trustedID system'.

I just signed us up for LifeLock today. Love the APP. Should have done this long ago

m

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    This company is going down , its over for them . Unfortunately that means everything they have will be out on the internet . If they can't maintain computer security as an operating company , I don't see them doing it in bankruptcy.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-21/equifax-accidentally-directs-200000-customers-fake-phishing-website

I read that story on ZH too. IMO the company has gone rogue- when Equifax first put out the "check for impact," and free enrollment BS I was a bit creeped on submitting my information. So, I entered the last name of "Doe," and the last 6 digits of "123456" for the social security #, and it came back something to the effect of "your personal data may have been compromised," with a suggestion of enrolling in their product! Yeah right...LOL!

I signed up for LifeLock too a few weeks ago: peace of mind.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all these people signing up, Lifelock should thank the hackers, if they didn't already pay them. Lol.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually applied for a new cc this past week, the free securid thing pinged me an alert over 36hrs later. No clue if that's good....

@Justacommeman said:
    I just signed us up for LifeLock today. Love the APP. Should have done this long ago

m

Didn't that dude get his own identity stolen?