Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can anyone stand one more sticker rant if I say it's my last one? ...Maybe....

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2017 8:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, no matter....it's coming anyhow..... :D

How ...... I ...... think the chain will run:

1. A few people will get wise to the "NEW" grading that takes a 63.66 to even BE a 63. Otherwise it will be "suspect" and they will say WTF and ....start.... thinking how far they want to chase the new "game."

2. Those early few will begin to ...maybe... sell a few things that they "might" have some doubts about.

3. A dealer will pick up the phone and a customer will ask why they should buy from him when HIS "stated position" is that he stocks ..BOTH.. stickered and unstickerered coins but they are very nice. The customer will no longer place an order based on "Gee, I can't remember if I sent that in or not."

4. A few MORE dealers will transition to "ONLY CAC ..AND.. PCGS" to at least try to be "lower dog" and the plot will .....thicken. :o

5. Dealers will continue assuring their customers that they will buy and sell both "graded only" along with stickered coins which aren't "needed" to be nice and he will still take them back or maybe even buy them back. (but only for a certain time period)

6. MORE "suspicion" will grow like a fungus in the morass of uncertainty that is "coins." :/

7. ANOTHER "collector" will think, "Y'know, I think I'm beginning to sense a change or sumpin" and HE will also sell some coins.

8. The increasing consignments to auctions will become larger and heavier and prices will begin to show an obvious sign that coins (for whatever reason/s) are ...well.... not having a good time.

9. The very last holdouts of the "GAWDAMMIT I KNOW HOW TO GRADE COINS CUZ I'VE BEEN DOIN' IT FOR EONS AND DON'T NEED NOBODY ELSE'S SAY-SO AND DON'T CARE WHAT THE CAT DRAGS IN"...,,collectors.......will no longer feel so confident but they still won't dump any coins.

10. Oh yes they will.

11. The collectors who put their coins in Danscos and look at them in their libraries or dens or padded cells will remain as happy as they always have been and say to themselves, "Man I'm sure glad I never got sucked into that "registry/competitive/hell-bent-for-leather/AT/NT" stupid crap.

THE END

(well, almost..... as a few folks who still like coins might turn darkside. )

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have missed something.

Let's see:

1. I understand that the "raw" collectors will be happy. Most are very easy to please. LOL
    2. Slabs w/o stickers will go down in value as will all NGC slabs.
    3. If a PCGS slab is not "stickered," it may not be graded correctly.

Good so far?

As I think about your post it seems to me that if everyone only wants "stickered" slabs the only thing possible is that the CAC standards will drop and very many more coins not "stickered" now WILL BE.

What do you think?

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The genie says it is highly likely.

He went back in his bottle mumbling something about "almighty bucks...." or like that. Maybe it was "all flighty ducks".... not very clear. ;)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why dealers drink, I couldn't say.

I was one. I could. :DB):'(

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Well I can certainly agree with point 11.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

To je govno.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 2c worth.
    If the coin is solid (nice) for the grade assigned and you like the price, buy it.........sticker or no sticker.
    It's all about $$$$$$$ anyway, always has been, always will be.
    The TPGs are paying for the built-in inconsistency of their business model.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Quality coins will always bring good money.

Knowledgeable dealers/collectors will continue to make wise/informed buying decisions.

I'm guessing that the more coins that are stickered, the less of an impact CAC will have on price premiums.

Many more gimmicks will continue to materialize, in order to make money, but good coins will always be good coins. JMHO.

This all makes sense......well put Walkerfan.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 6:50PM

@Boosibri said:

Mark picked up more sun than I thought he would on vacation, but that smile cannot be mistaken B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter what, collectors who collect with continued quest for knowledge and heart will always have great coins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 8:42PM

I think you are suffering from full blown CAC Mania Syndrome. @JustaCommeman will tell you, the only remedy is a diet consisting of no green beans or any other "greens" for at least 6 months. :D

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I think you are suffering from full blown CAC Mania Syndrome. @JustaCommeman will tell you, the only remedy is a diet consisting of no green beans or any other "greens" for at least 6 months. :D

I totally agree, but he must substitute that diet with some other fiber or roughage to keep himself regular.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weakness of humanity, trying to predict the future, based on current manifestations and fads. Coin collecting is a hobby - because it is a hobby, it gives others the opportunity for profit. Profiteers will always seek ways to improve profits. Collectors will always seek the objects of their interests. Party on dudes - and dudettes.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being the coin weenie that I am and a bit cynical about the coin market. I got scolded for insulting the Sponsor, which I didn't mean to. I meant to show how the market changes with different holders and stickers and what not, even though the grading is correct, color of holder etc is all okay.
    Now, I see TopStuff did a much better job of saying what was on my mind. I like all esp. 4 8 9 & 10. I am cracking out a set of (second time I've done this) Standing Liberty Quarters for a Dansco album all coins AU 50, 55 except over date, and 16 P both in VF 27-S EF. I don't care who's holder or sticker is on the coins or around them. I get a kick out of a nice set of original looking SLQs.
    They're easy to get past the wife, sans the key dates.
    Coin Weenie...........is nice way of saying addicted. Quitting coins is easy ! I've done it a hundred times

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother often said it didn't matter if people talked bad or good about him, so long as they talked about him. That's what we refer to as "Lime Light ". No relation to Bud, or Miller. See why coin dealers drink, for details. Those who know coins enjoy the banter. I know it's like an amusement park for geniuses here. And the guys who run the shows get more entertained with the ranting.

I vote for us who have fun.

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

All investing (some of us can call it coin collecting if that makes us feel better, I do sometimes) involves risk, which can be internal or external. Most investment markets have cycles. Any market that has the potential for profit or loss, and cyclicality, will attract people who develop expertise at exploiting the market and the cycles. It has been this way for 1,000's of years. Why should now be any different?

Having said that, I do believe that the coin market will eventually be regulated, either by itself (if we are lucky) or by the government if we don't get our act together. Cause to a savvy the outsider, it looks like a rigged system in about 10 minutes...

@mercurydimeguy

Pretend I'm a savvy outsider.

When you have some time and if you wish, will you please take a few minutes to explain this: "...it looks like a rigged system in about 10 minutes..." What is rigged? Thanks.

I just heard a rumor that a flood of collectors are peeling off existing stickers and confining their searches to only those coins that do NOT have one.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 11:19AM

@Insider2 said:
    @mercurydimeguy

When you have some time and if you wish, will you please take a few minutes to explain this: "...it looks like a rigged system in about 10 minutes..." What is rigged? Thanks.

Buy high, sell low. The cost for a stock trade pales in comparison to what we pay as a percentage as a buy in premium. For an "investor" paying 30% or more as a premium for a stock or commodity would not be sustainable. Even the $2,000 depreciation hit one takes in driving a $30,000 car off the lot is a better loss on "investment."

What kind of coin collector would waste THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on a .....CAR? :o

Why, he could have a stickered condition census warnickel for that kinda money. ;)

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 12:35PM

What is the pop of 1881-S MS 65 coins graded by PCGS / NGC vs coins of this issue grade that have been stickered? Anybody have a stat?

I would wager very small pct of graded pieces been stickered so not to worry.

I do have some stickered coins and they are priced higher (higher cost forces this). So far they not breaking down door pay the money lol. Since I am putting PCGS / CAC in AS search my stickered inventory should increase by time of Houston fall show. Based on what I saw at last 2 shows I may have the most stickered coins in the room lol.

If the sticker thing worries u move to mods, world, or currency which are a large part of my inventory. Diversity can be a life saver. I don't c many stickered coins in ads of major CW / NN advertisers I analyze (where they are vs bid).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@northcoin said:

@Insider2 said:
    @mercurydimeguy

Buy high, sell low. The cost for a stock trade pales in comparison to what we pay as a percentage as a buy in premium. For an "investor" paying 30% or more as a premium for a stock or commodity would not be sustainable. Even the $2,000 depreciation hit one takes in driving a $30,000 car off the lot is a better loss on "investment."

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I was waiting for an example from the dime guy. Until then I'll try to "pick apart" your response."

"RIGGED SYSTEM" is a powerful and derogatory claim. Both of you must know the economics of wholesale and retail. I know of no "buyer" who has a gun to their head that forces them to buy high or pay huge percentages to an auction.*** Many of the folks that were forced to sell low (me at times) needed money or picked the wrong time to sell. IMO, bringing up stocks is a cop out so none of that nonsense. Don't wish to read about real estate, cars, wine, or art either. How is the coin market rigged?

Time and time again we have been told that coins are not an investment. The fact that some are able to put a group of coins together over time and make money happens. So what? Nothing rigged there. The fact that some purchase coins and loose money, so what. If they got some enjoyment from their purchases that was a plus. Still not "rigged." As you must know, "knowledge is power." All those cherrypickers bought "right." All those lucky collectors that got a No "S" Proof set bought "right." You need to buy a ticket to win. They did. Still nothing I can see that implies rigging.

So north coin, are you a dealer? Are you part of the "rigged" game. Do you buy very low? Do you sell high? Well good for you as it is called the coin business. If you bought "high" and overpaid all the time as your "proof" of a rigged system you would be considered an (EDIT) by your peers. So, I'm STILL WAITING to learn about the "rigged system."

***Side note: If you guys were really smart, NO ONE would bid on any coin in any auction for as long as it takes to get the "buyers fee" dropped significantly! LOL.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I just heard a rumor that a flood of collectors are peeling off existing stickers and confining their searches to only those coins that do NOT have one.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Then there's the group following close behind them who are buying any slabs with glue adhering to them..... ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 4:19AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file