Home U.S. Coin Forum

DLRC is Hiring

DLRC is hiring: David Lawrence Rare Coins, Virginia Beach, VA is seeking a talented general numismatist. Duties include describing and pricing coins, buying collections, and assisting collectors and dealers. Salary commensurate with numismatic and sales skills. Previous experience is nice, but not a requirement. Please email a resume and salary requirements to [email protected] or stop by and chat with John at the ANA show at table 819.

John Brush
President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
email: [email protected]
2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting here. It would be great for a forum member to get this job! :smile:

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't CascadeChris looking for something??

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

No thanks I'm retired.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be sweet...too far of a commute.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a terrific opportunity...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the new hire be permitted to freely post here?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice... but that would interfere with my instructor position at the tactical handgun school.... and not as much exercise.....Oh well, just so much time in a day.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Will the new hire be permitted to freely post here?

Sure!

John Brush
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't owenseymore the kid who started the "ask a 19 year old coin dealer anything" thread get offer a job at DLRC? Was he hired?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Have fun with your boss' coins. ". The new mantra.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 9:59AM

@tradedollarnut said:
    One beeeeelllionnnnn dollarssssss

Wow, I'm only worth around $137,000 with no experience and all. :(

I hear Virgina Beach is nice too.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    Wow! Talk about a dream job!

You might feel differently when you have turn a profit on a consistent basis. When I was dealer, I was my own boss. When I messed up, I had no one to blame but me. When I did well, I got all the benefits. Working for someone else has its benefits, but I'm done with office politics, which good since I'm retired. I did a little contract work for dealers when I was in New England, going out to speak to groups on behalf of a dealer, and a bit of consulting, but that was it.

It might be fun to work for them if they were near where I live, but I'm not.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless they offer the opportunity to work from the opposite coast, I'm out. I'm in Washington State. Sounds like a great opportunity though. :)

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Wasn't CascadeChris looking for something??

m

Thanks Mark. I emailed John my resume last night and I'll be at Denver as well.

The more you VAM..
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

are you willing to relocate?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 3:04PM

Maybe the "kid" (pokeplayer) should give it a shot? Oops, only 17.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Garry the Instagram legend?

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Maybe the "kid" (pokeplayer) should give it a shot? Oops, only 17.

Plus he'd spend $750,000 on a $30,000 collection. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you see the sharp buyers/sellers working at major shows, the way they plow through all the certifieds, not so much raw, it is pretty impressive. Like anything for those with the skills it becomes second nature after a while.

@jtlee321 said:
    Unless they offer the opportunity to work from the opposite coast, I'm out. I'm in Washington State. Sounds like a great opportunity though. :)

Sorry, Virginia is our home!

John Brush

@nk1nk said:
    Wasn't owenseymore the kid who started the "ask a 19 year old coin dealer anything" thread get offer a job at DLRC? Was he hired?

We are always looking for good people, but unfortunately he wasn't interested in relocation at this point in life...I hope to get to know him more in the future though...

John Brush

@FadeToBlack said:
    Boo 5 hour drive one way. I'd have to rent and apartment and convince my wife its a good idea. You guys should relocate to Delaware! No sales tax. ;)

Sorry! Maybe your wife would like the beach???

John Brush
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goodbye @CascadeChris

IMO, you'll probably get the position and will have little time to post as much.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

So when's someone gonna offer a job on a Hawaiian Beach with all the perks??? B)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2017 7:53PM

What type of numismatic experience is desired even if not required? Ex-TPG grader? Numismatist for auction house? Buyer for established numismatic firm? Long time collector?

@joebb21 said:
    would DLRC be interested in relocating to NJ? We are only 30 minutes from the CAC office and an hour from both stacks and heritage NY.

I think it would be a bit easier for you to relocate my friend instead of 15 of us and our families...or you could commute on the train???

John Brush

@amwldcoin said:
    So when's someone gonna offer a job on a Hawaiian Beach with all the perks??? B)

I'm in!

John Brush

@cameonut2011 said:
    What type of numismatic experience is desired even if not required? Ex-TPG grader? Numismatist for auction house? Buyer for established numismatic firm? Long time collector?

Great question! Honestly, if you were a long-time collector with advanced numismatic knowledge, that's a great start. We're looking for someone who has a solid background but has the ability to fit into our system and learn as much as they can. Cataloging is more about research and language skills that it really is about anything else.

If an experienced buyer/grader/consignment coordinator came along that fit into our culture, we could certainly be flexible enough to add that type of position as well, but that's not really what we're looking for in this posting.

I've always been taught that if you hire good people that "fit" you sometimes have to make a place for them. We're certainly open to that at anytime the right person comes along...

John Brush
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    No thanks I'm retired.

If I was retired, then I would go for it

Frank

BHNC #203

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in RVA and I would consider that to be a terrible daily drive. Could take 1.5 hours or could take 3.5 hours.
    Sounds like a great opportunity for someone.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any update? Did a board member get the position?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

New opening or filling a job leaver ?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

DLRC, you wouldn't have me. I don't even want the job. Always worked for myself. NOBODY would have ME! Wouldn't work out.
    Worked for myself always. Just fine so far. Anyway.....good luck! You guys at DLRC are top notch!

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    DLRC, you wouldn't have me. I don't even want the job. Always worked for myself. NOBODY would have ME! Wouldn't work out.
    Worked for myself always. Just fine so far. Anyway.....good luck! You guys at DLRC are top notch!

This thread was posted well over two years ago.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, @Hydrant this thread is 3 years old......

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got stung by a jellyfish once in VA Beach. Never going back :D

BHNC #248 … 103 and counting.

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Since this thread was resurrected, I wonder what level of salary was being offered... really curious.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

@BryceM said:
    Ah, @Hydrant this thread is 3 years old......

They still wouldn't have me.

@DelawareDoons said:

@Hydrant said:

This thread was posted well over two years ago.

I've always been late to the party. That's part of the reason nobody ever hired me. Among other things......

I don't embarrass easily. If I did my whole life would be one long embarrasment. But.......I've always had good luck with the girls. Maybe it's my movie star looks or maybe they just feel sorry for me. I prefer to think the former.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL

Ken
  • markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be a cool job, the problem is I live in Massachusetts and I am going to collage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file