Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of the tone on this ebay commem?

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2017 5:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been watching this for a while. The toning looks nice to me. The spot on the back of Moses' head is a bit distracting. What do you guys think? Its pretty cheap.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

How cheap?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splotch on his head takes it from "meh" to "nope" for me

• Options
    edited July 20, 2017 5:19PM

like $219 cheap.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like the coin without the spot.

• Options

I'm with you guys. Why do they always have a splotch?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spot is right where you inject for occipital neuralgia. maybe Moses had a headache?

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:
    like $219 cheap.

Price seems fair with little premium for the color. I would but it if in the market.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 7:22PM

@Coinstartled said:

@CommemKing said:
    like $219 cheap.

Price seems fair with little premium for the color. I would but it if in the market.

At $219, it's cheaper than the PCGS Price Guide at $225.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.... However, I have always liked the reverse of this commemorative... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Wait till Ebay has the 10% Ebay bucks promotion. I do like the coin. The reverse is also attractive.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning okay, but nothing special. My guess is it came from long term storage in the original packaging, probably the card insert with the black background that is shown on page 318 in the Swiatek commemorative coin encyclopedia. The piece may have been inserted face down in that card for many years, or perhaps it was stored face up and stored in a paper envelope that had sulfur in the paper. By the looks of the reverse I would say that this coin has never been dipped.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would describe the toning as below average because I would prefer a white or near white coin in this case.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 6:40AM

For those who might be new to the hobby and are wondering what "white" means, here is a "white" Cleveland commemorative half dollar. The color can come of a judicious bit of preservation, or more often from dipping to remove the tarnish. This coin is graded MS-64.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Billjones, this coin was likely stored in this typical holder as issued, or it could have been one of about 75 that were in a single coin holder with signatures on the reverse; those single coin holders are very difficult to locate.
    Note the one side of each coin has golden toning, the opposite sides were "up" and untoned, protected by acetate slides.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PandavabPandavab Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Well, I didn't see this thread until I shipped this coin out already today, or I would've given a bit more commentary here on it while I had it in hand! I'm not sure if someone here ordered it, but I personally really like it in hand (and that's not me just trying to be a salesman, for whatever that is worth). That said, I can understand how someone may not like the toning.

Also, I really do appreciate the extra background from BillJones and CommemDude on the packaging and likely history of how this coin was stored. I wasn't aware of the original packaging for these.

• Options

I didn't buy it, but I was close to. Glad you sold it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file