Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 6:40PM

I didn't know Mickey Mouse had long hair and wore a crown. And who's that on the reverse?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Thread has legs because of the large numbers of views .. getting my 3 sets Wednesday

Signed up for remind.... see when sets become available again

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    What makes the LEAST sense is this week. How did they sell 7000 sets but only register 2000 sales? There CAN'T be that many returns at this point. We're outside of 30 days in the initial sale. How could more than half of last week's sales been offset by returns?

They went unavailable on Saturday right? So the snapshot of sales was Sunday, so they should have shown all 7000 sets being sold.....but I did think the number went down too fast...maybe they withdrew several thousand for some reason?

D2

No, nurmaler's posts showed steady sales of several hundred per day.

No, we don't know those were sales. We only know inventory was going down because based on the Mints numbers they only sold a couple thousand not near as many as the inventory number was showing....Just because that number went down doesn't mean they sold that many....which leads to the question where did they go?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    You must be talking about the Perth Mint. They have the contract to do Mickey Mouse. (No seriously, they do.)

You mean something like this?

Yep. Disney used to partner with Liberty Mint to do their silver rounds (I have a few of those), but in the 2010's Perth got their attention to release real NCLT coins.

I couldn't quite get myself to pay the price Perth wanted for their releases (like yours), but did get a couple of these as Xmas gifts in 2014. First colorized coin I ever bought. Got me brownie points, though.

It's also why I scream (and laugh) when I hear some say the US Mint should be more like Perth, RCM or BRM...

• Options

@dmwest said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    What makes the LEAST sense is this week. How did they sell 7000 sets but only register 2000 sales? There CAN'T be that many returns at this point. We're outside of 30 days in the initial sale. How could more than half of last week's sales been offset by returns?

They went unavailable on Saturday right? So the snapshot of sales was Sunday, so they should have shown all 7000 sets being sold.....but I did think the number went down too fast...maybe they withdrew several thousand for some reason?

D2

No, nurmaler's posts showed steady sales of several hundred per day.

No, we don't know those were sales. We only know inventory was going down because based on the Mints numbers they only sold a couple thousand not near as many as the inventory number was showing....Just because that number went down doesn't mean they sold that many....which leads to the question where did they go?

Correct. But it also shows the mint didn't just remove several thousand from sales for some reason. They went down at a steady rate.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I couldn't quite get myself to pay the price Perth wanted for their releases (like yours), but did get a couple of these as Xmas gifts in 2014. First colorized coin I ever bought. Got me brownie points, though.

Never buy directly from The Perth Mint. You can just about always get them much more reasonably on the secondary market.

The 1oz Gold Steam Boat Willie only cost me $55 over spot on an AMPEX special and then I had it graded.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Human sacrifice, Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!! - ghost busters

this ^

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Never buy directly from The Perth Mint. You can just about always get them much more reasonably on the secondary market.

The 1oz Gold Steam Boat Willie only cost me $55 over spot on an AMPEX special and then I had it graded.

I couldn't wait. The coin(s) I bought were marked (and minted) as a 2014 Xmas ornament that sorta had to be given in 2014. (And truthfully, I'm not sure I'd even spring for the Steamboat release at spot. Why? I bought the Australian Stock Horse series, and used to joke there were horses on both sides of the coin...)

And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to tie this into the EU set. I can usually find some sort of tie-in to keep it on topic... :wink:

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@HalfStrike said:
    193,573 9/17/2017

Scroll back to the last page

Actually, post #2 of this thread is kept up to date...

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

I didn't realize that. Post 2 makes a nice time line. Thanks!

• Options

Look at the 2006 Gold silver anniv sets ,2011 silver anniv sets President medal sets from 2 years ago the .. sets took off even before they were on sale, and prices rose after Mint sale day
    225th set ?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    My last strike sets finally shipped yesterday. Interestingly, there's a map on my FedEx tracking page, showing the destination, and where the package is now. It'll be interesting to see how often the map gets updated. (I doubt it's real time, but it'll be interesting to find out...)

No, it's not real time, but does show all the stops the package makes. It's only a graphical version of the tracking data. But it's still kinda cool...

Interestingly, the package was shipped on Monday, and has an estimated delivery of Friday, and looks like it could make it in that time frame. Five days would be a record, matching the delivery time my first EU sets took during the eclipse...

(I guess I'm guilty of being one of those three or four that keep bumping this thread...)

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

I didn't realize that. Post 2 makes a nice time line. Thanks!

I was bored (post patch-Tuesday backups) so I changed the dates in the table to links that point to the post within the thread, giving sort of a weekly index.

(Found out you can't use markdown within HTML, so had to create real HTML links...)

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

(I guess I'm guilty of being one of those three or four that keep bumping this thread...)

+1
    Me too...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

In stock again

• Options

How many are available?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    How many are available?

More than 100.

Hopefully 32,000 so we can finally know what they are doing with them. :smiley:

• Options

I gotta say I'm getting tired of changing the title of this thread... ;)

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Human sacrifice, Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!! - ghost busters

this ^

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Is it 105 or 10,500.....the tension mounts.....

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

What a joke this is turning into.

• Options

Kinda like those stores that have "Going out of Business" sales for years

• Options

Can't wait for an update on the current # of sets that are available.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

it would take several weeks if it's 10.500

• Options

12,000 / 400 = ~30 days
    so 10.5k is still about 3-4 weeks

• Options

I'm assuming it's 32,000 - give or take.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    12,000 / 400 = ~30 days

They sold 7,000 last week. At this point, I don't think it matters. The market on these will not sort itself out for several months either way.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I gotta say I'm getting tired of changing the title of this thread... ;)

LOL. If that's the biggest challenge of the day, you live a charmed life. :smile:

• Options

@Manorcourtman said:
    What a joke this is turning into.

Okay, I'll start!

Why did the Enhanced Uncirculated set cross the road? To get to the other side.

A man walks into a bar. Sitting on a stool is an Enhanced Uncirculated set with a banana in it's ear. The man asks the EU set, "Why do you have a banana in your ear?", but gets no response. He then taps the EU set on it's shoulder, and asks, "Why do you have a banana in your ear?" The EU set turns to the man, and says, "I'm sorry, I can't hear you, I have a banana in my ear."

Did you hear about the man who swallowed an Enhanced Uncirculated set? No change yet!

After a long struggle, two thugs subdue and rob a man. They search his pockets, and only find an Enhanced Circulated set. "Why did you put up such a fight?", they ask the man. The man replies, "I was afraid you'd find the $500 in my shoe!"

Okay, I'm done. If you think I should have better things to do right now, you're absolutely right....

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 8:29AM

You can disagree all you want, Mustangman, but the market for these has been impaired by the turmoil over sales, returns and numbers. It will take time for the market to reset itself and reach equilibrium. In my ever humble opinion. Eventually, Mr. Market will realize that this set is uniquely different and offers series rarities for the cent and half (most notably) as well as the dime and nickel (less collected).

And who DOESN'T want the effigy mounds with the enhanced finish?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    12,000 / 400 = ~30 days

Yep got Mint email.... sets available again Yes , Mint Order form right takes a 100 set lot ..Bull case over .. Those holding large lots of 225th sets

Over/under ???.... sets available to match original authorization of 225,000 total ??

At least my 3 sets coming today , can be replaced if they are bummers.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Eventually, Mr. Market will realize that this set is uniquely different and offers series rarities for the cent and half (most notably) as well as the dime and nickel (less collected).

By the roll, 2017-S enhanced nickels are going for less than $2 each on eBay. Mintage is less than 1/10 of the widely saved 1950-D, which currently fetches close to $10. Unreal!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

Just waiting for a number from Nurmaler

• Options

@Overdate said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Eventually, Mr. Market will realize that this set is uniquely different and offers series rarities for the cent and half (most notably) as well as the dime and nickel (less collected).

By the roll, 2017-S enhanced nickels are going for less than $2 each on eBay. Mintage is less than 1/10 of the widely saved 1950-D, which currently fetches close to $10. Unreal!

I agree. That's why I think there is going to be a rather long coming out party for the set. Look at 1970-D half dollars at 2 million, 96-W dimes at 1.4 million. Those coins are downright common by comparison and they run around $10 each. Oddly, even the 2012-S Proof Native Dollar is an $8 coin with a mintage of "only" 1.1 million. Or the 76-S proof half.

Eventually, the market will catch on. But all the "drama" has, I think, hurt acceptance of this set.

IMHO

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I can't believe people are selling raw coins when these are still available. Even the grading rejects should be held until sell-out, there is not much lower to go on these at Ebay pricing.

• Options

Can't wait for an update on the current # of sets that are available.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hear from nurmaler on an update of total available?

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Eventually, the market will catch on. But all the "drama" has, I think, hurt acceptance of this set.

IMHO

That's okay. That will let us "small collectors" purchase more, before the US Mint inventory is gone.
    I'm in for another 20 sets, which makes 50 total for me.

Again, I love this hybrid set. Some where between a Mint Set & Proof Set.
    Hopefully, this will be a one time only set, with nothing following it in 2018.

I don't mind up in the air drama. It will make this set worthy in the long run.

Chris

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    12,000 / 400 = ~30 days

They sold 7,000 last week. At this point, I don't think it matters. The market on these will not sort itself out for several months either way.

You mea> @CoinCrazyPA said:

Where is nurmaler ?

• Options

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    12,000 / 400 = ~30 days

Where is nurmaler ?

Maybe he's tired of this thread. Lol. Or tired of this set.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

The suspense is killing me...
    How many...
    :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

any number over 12,000 will seal the fate of this set short term. a 35 dollar set if sold

• Options
    edited September 21, 2017 6:13AM

I just noticed some of the BIN prices on ebay. Some seem low. the big dealers are probably eating the losses.

what are the minimum BIN to breakeven on various non-store to high cost stores?

are that many flippers with BIN losing money?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I just noticed some of the BIN prices on ebay. Some seem low. the big dealers are probably eating the losses.

what are the minimum BIN to breakeven on various non-store to high cost stores?

are that many flippers with BIN losing money?

It's really hard to know without knowing who it is and what their business model is.

The bulk buyers with their 5% discount only paid $28.50. If you've got a store with top seller discount, your total fees are between 8-9% on eBay. Shipping of a single set is about $3 with commercial rates and a bubble envelope. So a $35 BIN with free shipping nets a little over $29, so they are actually making money even on a single set sale. The shipping has some scaling to it, so they make slightly more on 2 sets and up.

If you aren't a bulk buyer or didn't buy them at a discount from a flipper bailing, then you are losing money on a single set at $35 BIN. BUT, are they in the set business or the slab business? If they slabbed all the ones they wanted and are just selling off the excess or the "non-slabbable", then they don't care if they are technically losing a dollar on the set.

If they are straight up flippers that got caught in the flow of things, then they may well be losing a buck or so per set. But, at some point it becomes a question of losing $1 now, breaking even 6 months from now, or making a couple bucks 2 years from now. Really depends on the carry cost of the inventory, the cash position of the seller, and their patience.

I'd also point out that I bought all my sets with a 2% cash back credit card. So I got 60 cents discount on each set via my bank.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumb question...Have they decided what the correct terminology is that some refer to: "Die set-up grease" ... the problems with the bubbles forming where the clear plastic is contacting the black plastic on the coin case.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

that line pattern where the clear plastic and black plastic touch has nothing to do with grease. there is no grease.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    12,000 / 400 = ~30 days

Where is nurmaler ?

Or.... he too, a big holder of sets.... ;)

News travels fast ,, My dealer friend dropped his buy price on the 225th set to $20 from 25......today. He said Sets will become stale like proof sets ..... but a chance of good seller into Christmas

• Options

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    12,000 / 400 = ~30 days

Where is nurmaler ?

Or.... he too, a big holder of sets.... ;)

News travels fast ,, My dealer friend dropped his buy price on the 225th set to $20 from 25......today. He said Sets will become stale like proof sets ..... but a chance of good seller into Christmas

I'm still buying at $25. I'm also buying cents at up to $9 each if I can find them.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    that line pattern where the clear plastic and black plastic touch has nothing to do with grease. there is no grease.

It doesn't require grease to get the interference pattern. I did, however, play with a few of the "grease spots" and it does seem like there's some moisture there. It is possibly just water vapor but there is a decided adhesiveness to some of the spots which suggests some foreign substance.

• Options

shipping cost of this set also depends on distance the package has to travel. example, if you ship this set to New York and you live in California, the first class rate will be at least 4 dollars

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file