Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would be the most popular theme for a coin series

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Presidents and their spouses just really aren't that exciting. States worked years ago. At least it gave people something to collect. So if you were in charge what would you put on a coin?

I think state birds might at least be interesting and not offend anyone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_birds

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I think what the mint is doing is selecting series and timing their release in a manner that optimizes their revenue. I mean, if they released a different coin every year, it would clear that they missed out on profits. But if they released....say...20 coins a year, people would give up on buying all their products. Arguably, they are there. So if I was at the mint, I'd do what they are doing now. However, I do wish they would rotate which kind of coin they modify. It would be cool to see your state birds on something other than the Quarter. Why not the Half Dollar? Personally, I think it would be so cool for the BEP to do an educational series with our dollar bills.

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2017 6:48PM

That's a tough question. I think all the different renditions of the American bald eagle is enough birds on our coinage. Idk what else they could try. I like the national parks and territories. What else is there really? As a science buff, Maybe solar system depictions, constellations, planets and such. Or scientific discoveries and scientist that has had an impact on our Society.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allegorical LIBERTY.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 6:14AM

I would be happy if the Mint would enlist real artists to design coins...and forego the 'design by committee' selections.... I really do not care if someone is 'offended'...there is not a right not to be offended. What is offended? Someone does not like the way I part my hair...so they are offended? Ridiculous... Get a life....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that the most popular thing is not a theme at all, but the composition. If it is large and made of silver, it has a chance of becoming popular. That list is headed by the Morgan Dollar, American Silver Eagle and the Peace Dollar. I am surprised that the modern commemorative silver dollars have not been more popular. It probably has something to do with the high issue prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with RickO. It's not the subject matter that I want to see change. I want to see different designs and art styles. A lot of what the mint produces seems similar and kind of bland looking.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

most popular?

me

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a series of animals on a Silver Dollar. but that is just me.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Allegorical LIBERTY.

Amen!

I don't think state birds would work. Over a quarter of them would be a cardinal or meadowlark.

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Flora and fauna could be done well. National historic landmarks could be diverse.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking outside the box... How about do what Coke did and put various peoples names on coins?
    Share this Buck with Jon
    Think how collectible that would be!!!!!

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real question is will we even have coins for long? They are hardly used anymore.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

The longer I'm around coins, the more I shy away from anything "created for collectors". So, with that in mind, the very topic of the question means I'm backing away slowly before I can come up with an answer..... :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    Thinking outside the box... How about do what Coke did and put various peoples names on coins?
    Share this Buck with Jon
    Think how collectible that would be!!!!!

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

The mint trying to be hip would majorly mess it up. They would do a "youtube stars series" or a "Top instagram photo series".

Now if I wanted a do a series that would only be popular with dealers it would be a "mustard stain series" :)

Me? I wouldn't mess with the classics. I would stick with Lady Liberty. You get one new design each year.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever we do put on coins should be specific to America so I think planets and elements should be out (even though those are cool ideas):

1. Maybe famous or important inventions Americans have come up with
    2. Animals that are iconic American animals (horses, bears, deer, buffalo/bison, boars, beavers, rattlesnakes etc)
    3. NASA Spaceships or famous US Navy vessels
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Allegorical LIBERTY.

I agree with you Bryce under the condition that the inspiration for the designs adhered to the classic Greek prototype of the godess Liberty. If the allegorical Liberty was chosen I think it would morph into the realm of political correctness. Be careful what you wish for.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a "American Innovation $1 Coin Act" before the US Congress.

If adopted, the act would authorize $1 numismatic coins whose designs recognize both American innovation in general and “significant innovation and pioneering efforts of [American] individuals or groups.” One coin would be released for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories, in alphabetical order.

http://mintnewsblog.com/newly-introduced-the-american-innovation-1-coin-act

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the US mint should sell advertising space on one side of the cent to offset the rising production cost of this denomination or lower the premium pricing on it's collectors issues. Or sell collector (maybe proof?) versions of these, cheap.

Walmart and McDonald's cents would be common with high mintages but the limited edition ANA cent of 2017 could become a future rarity. Think of all of the possibilities.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

No theme. Get rid of people, put images of Liberty on the coins, and mandate the designs can't be changed for 50 years.

Let's just be done with it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 3:30PM

Here's some bird ideas...

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint has had success with the Walking Liberty Silver Bullion and St Gaudens Bullion pieces, both classic designs. Bring back nostalgeia with the class Liberty coinage before the modern crap of today. Start with the Bust Series and work your way up. It would certainly get people interested in coinage again.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

famous US Navy vessels

I like this idea. Plenty of subjects there.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    The mint has had success with the Walking Liberty Silver Bullion and St Gaudens Bullion pieces, both classic designs. Bring back nostalgeia with the class Liberty coinage before the modern crap of today. Start with the Bust Series and work your way up. It would certainly get people interested in coinage again.

I think this is a great idea. There are also plenty of beautiful designs that could be appropriated from pattern coins of the 1800s. Many were truly worthy of adorning America's coinage.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Allegorical LIBERTY.

The US Mint is not as smart as D. Carr.

A set of coins featuring OLD designs with borders to differentiate would be very very cool. B)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sanctioned Hobo Nickels! There are already hundreds of fantastic designs "out there." A little bit of whimsy would be enjoyable and immensely collectible.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 7:38PM

@FallGuy said:

@oih82w8 said:

I think this is a great idea. There are also plenty of beautiful designs that could be appropriated from pattern coins of the 1800s. Many were truly worthy of adorning America's coinage.

I like the pattern idea!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file