Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Mint to kill orders by mail...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

No more orders by mail. Web and phone only.

United States Mint Announces Plans to Discontinue Mail Orders

I wonder how many mail orders they get anyway. I wonder if I'll still get a printed catalog...

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the new millennium lol

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    No more orders by mail. Web and phone only.

United States Mint Announces Plans to Discontinue Mail Orders

I wonder how many mail orders they get anyway. I wonder if I'll still get a printed catalog...

I got a mailer just last week, pushing the liberty gold, boys club coin and some other stuff I can't recall. So I think that will continue.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same principle as the mail order brides......its time has passed.

Nobody puts ketchup on a hotdog, and nobody buys coins via mail order.

• Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Interesting that the Mint sent out the news release not only on a Friday afternoon, but the Friday of a holiday weekend. The days of burying "bad" news by announcing it on a Friday afternoon are long gone because of the internet and social media.

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

We put a man on the moon how many years ago? and people are still using snail mail to submit orders?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2017 7:35PM

In 2007 when I was selling my first of the three Renaissance books, 98% of orders were received by mail with either check, money orders or credit card.

With my most recent book, Proof Coins 1936-42, all orders have been via internet except a few sent by email. Most of the latter were special requests such as custom autographs.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like we are all going to need to buy 3-D Printers to get our coins now.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    people are still using snail mail to submit orders?

Yes, I would, and do for proof sets, unc sets.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never ordered coins by snail mail.... well, on reflection, I take that back... When I was a kid, I did order once from Littleton Coin... back of comic book ad.... forget what coin now...Other than that it has been coin shows, shops or, in the last twenty and a couple years, internet. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    ....and in retaliation, the US Post Office is refusing to accept coins. :)

the mint has said because of that there not taking any mail orders. that just pissed em off :(

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    We put a man on the moon how many years ago? and people are still using snail mail to submit orders?

Yup...some still write checks, don't have ATM cards and pay by cash for their grocery shopping. Not me...I haven't written a check since 2016 and all my bills are paid electronically.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank heavens. Between having an account at the US mint and doing several guest checkouts, I get like four of these catalogs with each shipping.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

What am I going to due with all these stamps?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Given both are Federal entities it seems the mint is biting off a leg from the postal service but both are connected to the same head. Makes no sense to me.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It probably has to do with coins with a quick sellout.
    The Mint has to return all the checks they got (unless people are mailing in the credit card numbers?)

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I help a couple former patients on issues that contact by internet is the fastest way to solve a problem.
    Also sold items from another collecting interest to people without internet access but by phone.

The amt of mail orders has to be very very small and It seems a shame that a segment of the collector pool, no matter how small have a roadblock when we'd like to see the hobby grow, not shrink.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time marches on................................When the Internet goes belly up one day, look out!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Same principle as the mail order brides......its time has passed.

Nobody puts ketchup on a hotdog, and nobody buys coins via mail order.

You know, I would have thought that too but I was logged in live to a recent Heritage auction and was watching the bids progress. As each bid is posted, it shows the amount and then whether it is an Internet bid or a Heritage Live bid, etc. and I was really surprised at the number of items that had bids from mail/fax bidders. There were mail/fax bids on a lot of items and these bidders won a few. I was surprised at the number.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure that the cost of processing the mail order business has something to do with this. Computer generated orders minimize data entry costs and errors.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the biggest fear should be when the hackers come up with a way to cripple all the computers. An outage for any length of time would devastate society! Man has gotten to the point of almost total dependency on computers. Look what happens when an airline has a computer glitch!

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Time marches on................................When the Internet goes belly up one day, look out!

Pete

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5132

Unc sets & proof sets (& further down indicates silver proofs) ...
    shall ... By mail ...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2017 5:21PM

I received letter from USM yesterday stating same, no mail orders after 30 September.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

shall ... By mail ...

I'm pretty sure the "by mail" references in that are referring to sending the coins through the mail once bought, not requiring the Mint to take payment by mail.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

shall ... By mail ...

Well, it doesn't mention via electronic, online transactions, either.

FellintoOblivion's interpretation could be valid to still keep the Mint inline with the law, though it's possible to get those sets via not the mail, but private carrier.

I wonder if there's a blanket law covering such language in the law what "mail" these days really means for those laws created before the internet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file