Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dahlonega, GA. Mint

TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Artifacts from the old Dahlonega mint are here.

Yearly coin output. Note the 1861 $5.00 gold.

An image of the old mint before it burned down in 1878

Artifacts at the Gold Museum.

Site of old mint. Now Price memorial hall.

I was in North GA. visiting a college buddy and we decided to visit the old branch mint site. Previously I had been to the Carson City mint. The Gold museum houses a complete collection of "D" mint gold coins. It was a nice display, but for security reasons they ask you to refrain from pictures. The old mint building was destroyed by a fire after the civil war. It had ceased production in 1861 when conflict was underway here. On its foundation a University building currently stands.
The Gold museum is worth a visit. The staff exhibits that well known southern hospitality and is quite knowledgeable.

Comments

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work closely with the folks at the Gold Museum as a volunteer and I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Nice write up too.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there too, great place!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely like to tour the Dahlonega mint if I should get to that area..... I love gold coins and it would be great to see the series displayed there. I wonder why no $10 or $20 coins? Perhaps equipment restrictions?
    Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Equipment restrictions is right. The idea was to try to keep the gold coins in the U.S. and discourage their export abroad. The thought was that $10 and finally $20 (1850 and later) pieces would encourage exports. The Dahlonega coins press could not make anything larger than a $5 gold. It's just as well the southern goldfields never produced as much bullion as was anticipated. Toward the end the mints made smaller coins, like gold dollars, to increase their mintages.

That put restrictions on the proposed silver coinage too. The bill to allow such a coinage at the two small southern mints didn't make it through Congress.

There is no mint to tour. It burned in 1878. There is now a college administration building on the original foundation. I was lucky enough to get invited to the basement where they have some glassed in doors that allow you to see the old foundation stones.

I am looking forward to returning to Dahlonega in late summer. My niece is getting married there.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the Dahlonega Gold Museum back in the 1980's. Very cool.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was there during an Atlanta ANA convention related tour in 1987. The college had a complete? collection of the Dahlonega gold coins on display in the main floor hallway at that time. Is the display still there? (I don't know if the college owned the coins or if they were on loan for display purposes.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I was there during an Atlanta ANA convention related tour in 1987. The college had a complete? collection of the Dahlonega gold coins on display. Is the display still there? (I don't know if the college owned the coins or if they were on loan for display purposes.)

The complete collection of Dahlonega gold coins is now in the Gold museum. It is displayed from inside a safe behind a (glass?) window. It's in a hard plastic type holder and all of the coins are visible.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been to the mint museums at Dahlonega, Charlotte, and San Francisco. None of the others.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

@JJSingleton: "The collection in of itself has a very interesting history but I will leave that for another day."

I will remind you to post that story tomorrow.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJSingleton said:

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@291fifth said:
    I was there during an Atlanta ANA convention related tour in 1987. The college had a complete? collection of the Dahlonega gold coins on display. Is the display still there? (I don't know if the college owned the coins or if they were on loan for display purposes.)

The complete collection of Dahlonega gold coins is now in the Gold museum. It is displayed from inside a safe behind a (glass?) window. It's in a hard plastic type holder and all of the coins are visible.

The two sets are one and the same. The collection is known as the "North Georgia College Collection" even though the school name is now the University of North Georgia. In late 1994 an agreement was made to move the collection from Price Memorial Hall to the Dahlonega Gold Museum on a temporary basis while Price Memorial was undergoing a complete remodel.

The move of the collection to the museum was widely applauded in that the coin set received much greater exposure and upon completion of the remodel in 1999 it was agreed that the collection would remain permanently on loan to the museum and that is where they have remained since.

The collection in of itself has a very interesting history but I will leave that for another day.

Is the North Ga. College collection related to the North Ga. Collection?

@Gazes said:

Is the North Ga. College collection related to the North Ga. Collection?

No relationship at all.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those with a copy of From Mine to Mint will find a good summary of the Dahlonega Mint, photos and floor plans.

• AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Roger: Those with a copy of From Mine to Mint will find a good summary of the Dahlonega Mint, photos and floor plans

Though must such publications are not nearly of the quality of Roger's work, there has been much material published about the Dahlonega Mint. When I was researching pioneer gold of the South in 2013, I was startled to find that there is little material available about The Southern Gold Rush.

It was an extremely important episode in the history of the United States. Yet, The Southern Gold Rush has been so heavily overshadowed by The California Gold Rush that many U.S. citizens are unaware that it ever occurred. I do not recollect learning about The Southern Gold Rush in middle school, high school or college.

The Southern Gold Rush, the Seymour Collection, and Templeton Reid

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

@JJSingleton said:
    The collection in of itself has a very interesting history but I will leave that for another day.

Would love to hear that story!

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 6:20AM

It is definitely worth a visit to the mint in Dahlonega. In addition to the displays mentioned they have a video about the Georgia gold Rush that is interesting as well - at the start of the gold rush, there were some pretty sizable gold nuggets found basically just sitting there on the ground. The town is a nice place for an afternoon stroll too.

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Equipment restrictions is right. The idea was to try to keep the gold coins in the U.S. and discourage their export abroad. The thought was that $10 and finally $20 (1850 and later) pieces would encourage exports. The Dahlonega coins press could not make anything larger than a $5 gold. It's just as well the southern goldfields never produced as much bullion as was anticipated. Toward the end the mints made smaller coins, like gold dollars, to increase their mintages.

That put restrictions on the proposed silver coinage too. The bill to allow such a coinage at the two small southern mints didn't make it through Congress.

There is no mint to tour. It burned in 1878. There is now a college administration building on the original foundation. I was lucky enough to get invited to the basement where they have some glassed in doors that allow you to see the old foundation stones.

I am looking forward to returning to Dahlonega in late summer. My niece is getting married there.

When we took the tour this past summer the guide pointed out the gold dust in the bricks. When she shined her light at the right angle you could see the shimmer of gold dust.
    I enjoyed hearing about the history very much.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 12:18PM

When I go to places like this, the New Orleans Mint, etc. they are all far away behind glass or details cannot be seen clearly of the coins. Why hasn't anyone made an inquiry into getting approval to digitizing the coins close-up? or maybe they have already but have not been widely communicated? My belief is this situation makes it difficult to reasearch and learn about varieties, die states, etc. I used to own a number of Dahl's in the '90-s.

Thanks for the pictures!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019 2:25AM

Sweet, sounds like fun !!! :)

Timbuk3

The coin display at the Dahlonega Money Museum is not very good because you can’t see the coins easily or very well. The situation is understandable because of the theft problems they have had in the past. Still a book or at least a digital display of the coins would be good.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I agree with Mr. Jones on the idea for a book with illustrations. My trip to the Dahlonega Gold Museum a few years back was the catalyst for what has become an expensive and time-consuming obsession. I have been hunting information on the completed date collection, including its origins, the varieties it contains, and any quality photos of the individual coins. For example, are all mint state or does it contain circulated issues. (I was too new to the hobby to assess when I visited.) There also appears to be a foiled heist a few years back. I am betting @JJSingleton has some insight to these matters??!!

RE: "When we took the tour this past summer the guide pointed out the gold dust in the bricks. When she shined her light at the right angle you could see the shimmer of gold dust."

If memory is correct, the "gold dust" is mica, not gold.

@RogerB said:
    RE: "When we took the tour this past summer the guide pointed out the gold dust in the bricks. When she shined her light at the right angle you could see the shimmer of gold dust."

If memory is correct, the "gold dust" is mica, not gold.

The guide tells you that it's gold dust. They take you into a darkened closet and put a flashlight beam on it. The color that shows does have a yellow-golden flect to it that looks like gold dust. There are still hobbiests in the area who use water based extraction methods to find gold.

edited February 3, 2019 12:25PM

Beyond the reality of mica....Think about it --- if gold flecks were so prevalent in local clay as to be visible in bricks, the miners wold have quickly extracted it.

There are hundreds of requests from individuals and hopeful miners for assay of "ore samples" in mint files. Almost all contain either pyrite or mica or both - and that's just the eastern gold vein from Maryland into Alabama. Add Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee and others just for fun.

I suspect that even if someone paid for a modern assay, the museum would not accept or post the results.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fools gold was not always fools gold.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The coin display at the Dahlonega Money Museum is not very good because you can’t see the coins easily or very well. The situation is understandable because of the theft problems they have had in the past. Still a book or at least a digital display of the coins would be good.

Perhaps it could be mentioned to the museum to have a large sized post card type prints made of the coins. Or a series of them highlighting the individual coins. With modern digital photography this would be a great project for our PCGS photographers. Details of the coins could be on the back. A good source of funds for the museum too.

• sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

I lived in Atlanta for four years and was never able to make it over to the museum; if I could do it over again I would have definitely made a day out of it

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

I made it to the mint museum about 10 years back and it sent me on a near decade long journey of collecting rare date gold

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

A visit to this museum is on my to-do list!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad you enjoyed the visit and the weather was good ...... thank you for sharing the story as well as the picture :)

edited February 5, 2019 5:25AM

Thanks very much @JJSingleton. This is a wealth of information! I am glad to hear the display now allows viewing of the collection reverse. I suppose I need to revisit the museum (and Smithgall Woods for fly-fishing)!

The letter from Benjamin Stack to the then North Georgia College, with the 1971 appraisal of the coins is an interesting read - the 1861-D Dollar is desirable in this uncirculated condition and would probably bring very close to $10,000 at a public sale (paraphrase). Incredible!

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own some CC and Frisco gold but one day I will own one with the coveted D on it. Maybe a C too. :)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing; was there in 2004 when I hiked the A/T, and on a Saturday they had a fair with gold panning exhibits and white lightening displays, "moonshine" was big in the 1800s too. It was interesting how mining evolved in northern Georgia into water cannon exposures of hillsides which you can still get a sense of.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

RE: "With that said, most of what people see in the bricks is mica and other minerals, but yes some is gold."

Ah, so that clarifies the situation. "Thar's gold in them thar bricks, but y'use might not see it."

Thanks for the added information and clarification. However, it's not clear to me why the Cane Creek clay/sand was ignored and used for bricks if there was plenty of gold remaining. Amalgamation using mercury is effective for extracting gold where the particles are so fine that sluicing does not work -- the particles are too light to fall in the ripples or get caught in miner's cloth. If that was the case, any gold in the building's bricks would not be visible to the unaided eye....just as it was probably not visible to miners in 1835-36.

@RogerB said:

Ah, so that clarifies the situation. "Thar's gold in them thar bricks, but y'use might not see it."

Yes, there is gold in the bricks. You may not see it. But you also may see it. I am not smart enough see something glitter in a brick and determine what it is. But assays do show that what one sees could be gold.

Thanks for the added information and clarification. However, it's not clear to me why the Cane Creek clay/sand was ignored and used for bricks if there was plenty of gold remaining. Amalgamation using mercury is effective for extracting gold where the particles are so fine that sluicing does not work -- the particles are too light to fall in the ripples or get caught in miner's cloth. If that was the case, any gold in the building's bricks would not be visible to the unaided eye....just as it was probably not visible to miners in 1835-36.

The primary mining tools in these creeks in 1830-36 were a pic, a shovel, and a pan. The creeks were first mined for the easy stuff and then the miners moved on to next creek bed. Pretty easy to leave gold behind when the grass is a lot greener elsewhere. As better mining methods were introduced and as companies moved in all these creeks and rivers were re-worked. In fact over and over again. Even with all the re-work there is still gold in Cane Creek and it continues to be privately mined at a hobbyist level.

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only an hour away but haven't been there in years (shame on me). Next nice weekend I'll have to check out the new exhibit and have a nice lunch somewhere in the area.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made it out there about 6-7 years ago as a side trip to an Atlanta business meeting. Loved the exhibits. Looks like I should take another trip for a better look at the collection now that the display has been renovated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file