Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you collecting Silver American Eagles by mint mark now that the secrets out?

U.S. Mint strikes 2017 American Eagle silver bullion coins at three facilities

The Mint won't release mintage figures from West Point, San Francisco and Philadelphia since they say these are investment bullion and not collector coins. But there may be some rarities created based on the Mint where the SAE's were struck.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOPE!

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just being minted somewhere doesn't constitute collecting "by mintmark".
    A mintmark is a mark on the coin where the coin was minted. Or, in the case of some of the Philly coinage, the singular lack of a mintmark...and then it is "collecting by mint".

Now, someone may be "collecting by mint" for the SAEs...I am sure some are. Not me.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO.

I bought a set of early dates up until the early 2000s to see if I could could get interested in them. I found out I couldn't. Now that I have read about this foolishness where coins attributed by mint, not because of mint marks but because of the markings on the outside of boxes, I am even more glad that I have no interest in a set of these coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I just get one each year in the standard blue label holder.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

No.

I think they've missed the boat by not using appropriate mintmarks for the coins based on where they are actually struck. Bullion or not, LOTS of collectors have interest in this series (not just bullion investors) and an entire sub-series could have been created simply by adding a darn letter. Considering they are already striking them in these mints anyway, seems like it should have been a no-brainer to me. That said, they are big beautiful coins that appeal to many and yet the U.S. Mint still hasn't figured out how to completely cash in on that. It's surprising.

As for me, I have a couple around but don't collect them as anything more than just "type" pieces.

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

No.
    I collect no coins made after 1940

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could care less about the 2015 (p) or any other (x) for my set. No mm means no care imo but that's not to say the 2015 (p) won't command premiums from label collectors and the like. In see big premiums for them in the short term and lesser in the long term

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Why not, "Buy the label and skip the coin" ?

That's where sample slabs come in!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

mint marks are interesting because of the history or significance associated with them...not "just because!" i feel like that's what's going on here.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Yes! But only in first strike holders!

Ok, I'm kidding. These do not have any appeal to me.

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

No

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

I was .... But then I gave up and sold them all in April. After a long internal discussion with myself I came to the conclusion that grading these as 69's and 70's is a guessing game that I wasn't willing to pay any more for.

So instead I'm buying bullion and saving that budget for actual rarer old coins.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive got my dansco album set, but that's all.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 5:33PM

I tried to keep up a few years ago. I had almost 60 MS PF 70s just from 2001 thru 2015. It just got too ridiculous , anniversary sets (W) & (S) coins that are identical. They screwed themselves by just too many labels and gimmicks. No more for me.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

I'm telling you guys it is just a matter of time before the mint sees the lure of money and starts using a portable press to begin minting ASEs in Denver, Carson City, New Orleans and Charlotte.

Mark my words.....it is coming.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2manycoins2fewfunds said:
    I'm telling you guys it is just a matter of time before the mint sees the lure of money and starts using a portable press to begin minting ASEs in Denver, Carson City, New Orleans and Charlotte.

Mark my words.....it is coming.

It's not the Mint doing this. Someone had to get a FOIA request in to find out.

When you get an opening sale of 6 million ASE's, of course you're going to spread it across all the mints. They've probably done this for years.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree: no die differences = no difference. \

I do collect the series, primarily as a function of acquiring silver bullion while maintaining some modicum of numismatic interest. But to seek out specimens whose only distinction is the marking on the box they were shipped in makes no sense, if only because there's no future way to authenticate beyond someone's word for it.

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 6:33PM

What about crossovers... I can't image PCGS would recognize anybody else's guarantee and vice versa... Seems as if that coin will be forever sealed in that tomb if you want it to be a Philly coin.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:

The Mint won't release mintage figures from West Point, San Francisco and Philadelphia since they say these are investment bullion and not collector coins. But there may be some rarities created based on the Mint where the SAE's were struck.

>

IMO, it is a distorted definition of the word "rarities" to even think that this process is anything other than a money grab by the bulk bullion submitters.

The folks that get caught in this "snare" will most assuredly regret it when they decide to no longer "play".

Collecting by date and "official" mm is the only way to go.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Why not, "Buy the label and skip the coin" ?

Too close to "Beanie Babies" and rarities manufactured to "order"!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds said:

@TopographicOceans said:

>

IMO, it is a distorted definition of the word "rarities" to even think that this process is anything other than a money grab by the bulk bullion submitters.

The folks that get caught in this "snare" will most assuredly regret it when they decide to no longer "play".

Collecting by date and "official" mm is the only way to go.

Yes but the x-factor is how many sealed 2015 philly boxes with the right code are still out there able to get the designation. Although I do predict that if premiums hold up people will eventually start doing a die study for markers with only 75k produced and perhaps the tpgs will eventually slab then using the markers.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 3:44AM

No...I just needed one (25th Anniversary) for my Type Collection.

(24 replies to the original post with no images? C'mon guys!)

(image by robec)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me, but I do buy them and put them in a Dansco Album.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Yup....I do collect ASE's by Mint Mark and THE bullion one is one of those....pointless what Mint it came from.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silliness continues with these bullion pieces. And look who's behind it. It's not collectors...it's the plastic pushers who continue to suck millions out of the hobby with this nonsense. Nothing wrong with collecting ASEs. I do. I just don't get putting them in plastic tombs and the cost involved. Just another case of the plastic pushers being the tail wagging the dog.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still get a kick out of complete “sets” of these bullion coins being offered in ms69 grade on one of the shopping channels for many times the value of the silver contained herein, plus the cost of the plastic to surround each coin. And you can bet that when these coins were holdered, which was probably thru a biggie bulk submission, the “professional graders” spent all of about 15 seconds grading each coin. And the collectors who purchase this stuff continue to get shafted. Would have been better off buying these bullion coins ungraded at a price not above spot silver.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Above in the last line I said “not above spot silver” which should have been “nut MUCH above spot silver”.
    (there does not seem to be a way to edit a post once it is submitted???)

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Above in the last line I said “not above spot silver” which should have been “nut MUCH above spot silver”.
    (there does not seem to be a way to edit a post once it is submitted???)

Nut much?

You should see a gear next to the date of your post. Click on it. Chose edit.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if the dies get changed and mixed up, different reverses or obverses by mistake. I will collect those.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX ...Yes, you can edit it.... upper right hand corner... after you post.....
    As to the topic.... I stopped my 'set' when they did not issue the proof in 2009 (or was it 8)....I have picked up a couple of specials since then, but not each one. Nor will I even consider ASE's slabbed to a certain mint without a mint mark...this is ridiculous. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, i got ase's but thats as far as it goes

• Options

I'm still looking for a West Point ASE with reverse of Philly.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 10:23AM

@BUFFNIXX ...Yes, you can edit it.... upper right hand corner... after you post.....

Although the "gear" is not present on my computer at work, I know where it is, right next to the time stamp in your post. Click the gear and an "edit" pop-up appears.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2017 12:25PM

I never cared for ASEs, even though they sport the Walker design. I swore that I'd never collect them. HOWEVER, I have already won two of them, in MS 69, from different local charity raffles, for very little money ($1.00 per ticket and I usually buy $3-5 bucks worth). Now, I have been jokingly hinting that maybe I can complete an entire registry set this way! Don't know, if that will ever happen, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try and I'm off to a good start!! LOL!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few. I like em and I'm not sure why. I buy them and put them in a box and that's it. I don't even look at em.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Are you collecting by MINTMARK..."
    This is certainly not a mintmark issue or variety, just marketing. No Thanks!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Only if the dies get changed and mixed up, different reverses or obverses by mistake. I will collect those.

This just might be made possible if it will promote sales. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

The S mint Silver Eagle ended it for me. I love my set but will not play the game any longer with the US Mint. They don't care about collectors.

Larry

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is all reminiscent of the SMS years accept that we know what is happening as it's happening. also, the tactic in the 60's was to confuse whereas the tactic now is simply to supplement production.

one final point, there will probably never be anything close to a "rarity" with ASE's, too many exist for them to ever be anything but common.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was forced into bullion by non-believers who fell from grace in numismatics. I do not collect eagles.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I'm still looking for a West Point ASE with reverse of Philly.

Well since you are looking go ahead and buy a "Millennium Coin & Currency Set" until 2001 all the Business Strike ASE's were supposedly minted at the Philadelphia Mint, low and behold another Surprise that was found out after the sets sold out that the ASE's in the 2000 set had been struck at the West Point Mint, in the early days of the news IGC was the ONLY grading service that put the W in brackets 2000-(W) still to this day PCGS and NGC will only State Millennium Set, Also the Sacagawea Dollar in the set 2000-D was produced on a special planchette only found for that year in this special set, once again PCGS Will only print Millennium Set on the label, NGC will give Proof Like and DMPL grades. For these reasons IGC is the Preferred grading service for this set. Most of the ASE's topped out at MS 68. Many feel the planchette also had a special finish which the Mint denied. I have several of the original sets and Coins from all three grading services. One day PCGS and NGC will make a special label recognizing these were the First West Point Mint Silver Eagles.
    I will be the first to say that I don't know all the reasons PCGS and NGC still will not label these with a (W) on the label.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2017 5:19AM

Mint now saying the box serial numbers were incorrect

"The U.S. Mint issued a statement May 25 announcing that information Mint officials released March 20 pursuant to a Coin World Freedom of Information Act request in February was erroneous concerning tracking numbers that might be able to be used to identify the source Mint facility for boxes of 2015 American Eagle silver bullion coins."

Some of these erroneous box numbers were used to incorrectly label non WP slabbed ASEs. :o

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2017 5:28AM

@keets said:
    this is all reminiscent of the SMS years accept that we know what is happening as it's happening. also, the tactic in the 60's was to confuse whereas the tactic now is simply to supplement production.

one final point, there will probably never be anything close to a "rarity" with ASE's, too many exist for them to ever be anything but common.

I agree, except for one year. 2008, the 2008 Reverse of 2007, can maybe be stated as a rarity? ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2017 5:35AM

luckily they have mintmarks so they can separate them all during the product recall.

(I imagine those "MM" are cert #s and order #s. who is going to spend the time?)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow. hate to be yourcollectiblecollection.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file